Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Local Control of Schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I remember when the schools were under local control. It was when the mayors placed their political friends. Contracts were also given to their political friends. It was the reason the state came here in the first place. To be fair some mayors left the board of education alone. But you only need one mayor to destroy its independence.

Posted on: 2017/6/8 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Is Jersey City ready to take complete control of its schools again?

In 1989, the state of New Jersey took over Jersey City's school district, citing a "total education failure" in a district that was rampant with nepotism and corruption. That was 28 years ago.

On Wednesday, the state said its second-largest city was ready to take back full control of its schools. 

It's been a long process.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... omplete_control_of_i.html

Posted on: 2017/6/8 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Finally, Jersey City close to regaining local control of schools, state says

TRENTON -- Jersey City is likely to regain local control of its school district's instruction and programming later this year, the final step in emerging from the state's nearly 30-year takeover of city schools, acting state Education Commissioner Kimberely Harrington said Wednesday. 

The district passed the state's latest review of school instruction, Harrington said at Wednesday's state Board of Education meeting. A resolution to return control of instruction to the district will likely come before the board in a few months, she said, setting the stage for a historic vote. 

That resolution is expected to pass, President Mark Biedron said.

http://www.nj.com/education/2017/06/j ... l_control_of_schools.html

Posted on: 2017/6/7 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City Schools Take Another Step Toward Full Local Control

New Jersey's State Board of Education gives the district control of school operations and personnel

By   Leslie Brody

http://topics.wsj.com/person/A/biography/7974","text":"Biography"},{"type":"link","icon":"twitter","url":"http://twitter.com/lesliebrody","text":"@lesliebrody"},{"type":"link","icon":"email","url":"mailto:Leslie.Brody@wsj.com","text":"Leslie.Brody@wsj.com"}]}">
The Wall Street Journal - Oct. 7, 2015 3:08 p.m. ET

The Jersey City school system, the first in New Jersey to be taken over by the state 26 years ago, took a step toward full local control Wednesday.

New Jersey’s State Board of Education voted to hand two elements of control, operations and personnel, back to the district. The state board also agreed to form a working group to determine how to return authority over the remaining area, “instruction and programming,” to the district by as early as the end of the school year, a state Department of Education news release said.

Jersey City schools were taken over by the state in 1989, after a state administrative law judge said academic failure, patronage and nepotism ran rampant in the district.

This move toward full local control follows this summer’s announcement that Gov. Chris Christie wanted to return local control to Newark schools and formed a task force to do so, with some members appointed by Mayor Ras Baraka.

Read more:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/jersey-ci ... -local-control-1444244907

Posted on: 2015/10/7 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
No fear, the gravy train for JC taxpayers isn't in danger because JC will be in charge of JC schools, even though JC taxpayer pay only 16% of the cost.

What comes to mind to me is the scenario where the dog chases the postal truck-when he catches it, what does he do? If JC schools are still failing after taking back control, who can they blame but themselves?

Posted on: 2015/10/7 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Abbott mightn't be in the cross-hairs, but teacher pensions and healthcare appear to be.

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/15/06/17/tpaf/

Posted on: 2015/10/7 19:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/18 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Abbot has nothing to do with which entity controls te district. Jersey City is not the only Abbot district. In fact the original court case of Abbot v Burke which led to the funding was in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
You know, I never understood the fuss over state control of schools. It seems like having local control of the schools is more of an ego thing for local politicians than putting the interests of the students first (and I'm talking about everywhere, not just Jersey City).

I wonder the same thing myself, and hope this doesn't open the back door for new political interference and patronage.

I also find it hard to believe he would have pushed for this, if it meant the end of state funding. My slim knowledge of Abbot I - X criteria would suggest funding won't be reduced, as the criteria are still met - http://www.edlawcenter.org/cases/abbo ... burke/abbott-history.html

Posted on: 2015/10/7 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
So far, no one has answered the question of whether the transfer from state to local control is the beginning of the end of the Abbott district status, and the corresponding massive tax subsidations JC receives from suburban taxpayers.

I am no expert so I can't answer. Seems like you'd need the input of a lawyer who specializes in this kind of stuff. However, from my layman's perspective, it certainly seems like this is the first concrete step into phasing out JC's Abbott status. I'd imagine that state control is a prerequisite to receive state taxpayer money.

If this is true, property values will crater. Maybe it won't be so bad if it's a slow transition from the status quo of JC taxpayers pay only 15% of the full school bill to a higher %, but taxes will massively increase when this happens.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
You know, I never understood the fuss over state control of schools. It seems like having local control of the schools is more of an ego thing for local politicians than putting the interests of the students first (and I'm talking about everywhere, not just Jersey City).

I mean, if the students are better off because the schools are being managed by the state, so be it. I really don't care if our local government doesn't have the "badge of honor" associated with managing its own schools. Our taxes pay for them either way, so let's allow what works best for the students and if that means state control, so be it.

Perhaps some former teachers or school administrators can enlighten me as to why having local control is so great and whose interests are truly being met by that, and I am sincerely asking the question, even if I sound a bit jaded or biased here.

Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Weird that the mayor would be touting this as an accomplishment that ties back to him, after essentially taking a dump last November all over the people who did the work on this - for political gain. Don't let shame get in the way of some self-aggrandizement, right?.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Weird that the mayor would be touting this as an accomplishment that ties back to him, after essentially taking a dump last November all over the people who did the work on this - for political gain. Don't let shame get in the way of some self-aggrandizement, right?.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I think the number is closer to 15%. The schools are a economic time bomb. If the wealth transfer from the suburbs ever stop there will be few people in non abated properties that will be able to afford the tax increase.

Basically, Jersey City will go back to where it was in the '90s: Lots of properties with non paid taxes and nobody buying the liens.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 15:06

Local Control of Schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I received this email from the Mayor today.

I think it seems like an accomplishment to regain control of these functions, but does it also start a clock on state funding that we receive for our impoverished district? I think the last time I saw JC residents were only paying about 25% of the full bill.

I'm very curious to get a better understanding of what will happen here, both in the near future and long term. We are trying to determine if JC is a place that we can actually make a go of raising a family.

Posted on: 2015/10/7 14:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017