Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Turn on the Heat!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
78 degrees is hot. i remember once once gong to look at buying a building in bergen lafayette. the female tenant answered the door in february in shorts and a tank top and complained that the landlord was not keeping the place hot enough. i kid you not!

Posted on: 2015/10/5 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
This is why when I renovated I gave each apartment its own heating and hot water. I only deal with the heat when something breaks.

Want your place at 78 F.. no problem! You paying for it!

Note: I used to have tenants from India and the Caribbean that actually did keep their apartments that hot.

Posted on: 2015/10/4 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Excerpt from Online Help Center - Jersey City

...If you feel that the heat is not adequate, call Division of Housing Code Enforcement at (201) 547-4825 and speak to a Supervisor. A Dickson Chart Recorder (a device used to measure the heat during the night) can be installed in your apartment.

If your landlord is not complying, you may file a complaint with the Division of Housing Code Enforcement's 24 hour emergency heat hotline at (201) 547-4821 or enter a complaint online.

You may also send an e-mail message to Housing Code Enforcement - Director: edco@jcnj.org

Posted on: 2015/10/3 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
Thanks jersey mom. My heat still isn't on. I have contacted the landlord again. I don't have their email only phone number so I've been texting them. Their response was to close my windows and take the ac out of the window which I already did. They live next door. I called the emergency number the city lists but it just rings and rings, no answer. I know it's only going to be cold a few days but this sucks. The heat is included in my rent.

Well, your landlord and my old landlord went to the same school, then. I can tell you that it isn't a legal excuse. Please text him that you've contacted the city and you're within your rights according to the law. Be nice, but firm. If they live next door, tuck a copy of the law with a note in their door. Not knowing the law is not an excuse. Have you tried the local police desk (not 911)? They may have another contact for the heating issue. Or, walk to the precinct and ask at the front desk - someone may help you. Good luck and let us know what happens. Again, I'm really sorry you have to go through this.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 20:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks jersey mom. My heat still isn't on. I have contacted the landlord again. I don't have their email only phone number so I've been texting them. Their response was to close my windows and take the ac out of the window which I already did. They live next door. I called the emergency number the city lists but it just rings and rings, no answer. I know it's only going to be cold a few days but this sucks. The heat is included in my rent.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
Heights I found the law. And you are incorrect, it's October 1. I texted my landlord. No response. I called a 24 hour hotline the city provides for heating issues but no answer. Any other ideas?the law is below:

The local heat ordinance of the Jersey City Municipal Code requires temperatures to be at least 70 degrees in the daytime and at least 65 degrees at night between October 1 and April 3, regardless of the outside temperature, and between May 1 and September 30 whenever the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees. These temperatures are five degrees warmer than state requirements.

Monmouth - I'm sorry you're going through this. I went through the same situation (ended up moving out because of it - and going to court when my landlord held my security). I won.

If I had to do this again, I wouldn't be so nice. I never reported my landlord - I should have - immediately - after he ignored my texts and emails. There were some mornings when my bedroom was in the 40's and he insisted the heat was on and blasting.

You'll want to have a paper trail in case things get worse for you. Send him an email and a certified letter immediately notifying him that you were without heat. You'll begin to establish proof that you've contacted him to rectify the situation. Then begin calling the heating complaint line and keep a log of your interactions.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Ref: http://mygovhelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs ... .aspx?sSessionID=&aid=340

Pursuant to Chapter 254-27A(7)(a) of the Municipal Code of Jersey City (Local Heat Ordinance - attached below):

When heat is supplied in dwellings of two families or more or in places of employment, and there is no written agreement to the contrary, heat of a temperature not less than 70 degrees (F) must be supplied from 6 AM to 11 PM and 65 degrees (F) from 11 PM to 6 AM in residences and during the regular hours of employment in places of employment.

The specified temperatures are required between October 1st and April 30th REGARDLESS OF THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE and between May 1st and September 30th WHENEVER THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE FALLS BELOW 55 DEGREES.

Your landlord cannot turn off your heat at night. The law does allow the heat to be lowered to 65 degrees between the hours of 11 PM and 6 AM. If you feel that the heat is not adequate, call Division of Housing Code Enforcement at (201) 547-4825 and speak to a Supervisor. A Dickson Chart Recorder (a device used to measure the heat during the night) can be installed in your apartment.
If your landlord is not complying, you may file a complaint with the Division of Housing Code Enforcement's 24 hour emergency heat hotline at (201) 547-4821 or enter a complaint online. You may also send an e-mail message to Housing Code Enforcement - Director

Posted on: 2015/10/3 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand why the heat requirement is date dependent.

Surely the law should be "the temperature must be kept above X degrees".

Why does it matter whether it is February or August?

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 4:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Where are you getting October 15? I don't see that date anywhere. I really want to understand how this law works. What I found and posted below says heat must be turned on October 1 and needs to be 70? inside the apartments from 6 AM to 11 PM regardless of the outside temperature.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 4:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
May be enforced that heat is on from Oct 15th unless temps fall under 50 degrees prior.

Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
Heights I found the law. And you are incorrect, it's October 1. I texted my landlord. No response. I called a 24 hour hotline the city provides for heating issues but no answer. Any other ideas?the law is below:

The local heat ordinance of the Jersey City Municipal Code requires temperatures to be at least 70 degrees in the daytime and at least 65 degrees at night between October 1 and April 3, regardless of the outside temperature, and between May 1 and September 30 whenever the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees. These temperatures are five degrees warmer than state requirements.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 2:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/3 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
October 15th. It must be unusually chilly because I'm never cold or ready to turn on the heat. It seems a bit cooler than normal in my place. It is usually warmer this time of year where I am not looking to turn up the thermostat.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 0:21
Get on your bikes and ride !

Turn on the Heat!!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
So this is my first time living in an apartment were I can't control the heat. I'm cold. By what date is my landlord obligated to turn on the heat? I read the date once but I don't remember.

Posted on: 2015/10/3 0:10

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017