Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 14 »

Re: Bike Share System
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
citibikes are needed at shop-rie, a&P, newport mall and target. it would be great to be able to bike there, dock and shop.

Posted on: 2015/9/25 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Agree with all that.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I know... I just wanted to point out also that I would have no problem having some of my city taxes going to make sure the system remains viable if they needed help - with accountability if the case.

I can't help but dream of a universal card that one would just need to zap at the pre-elected transportation(s) of one's choosing. These are common in europe. See Navigo pass, works for regional trains, subway, citibike.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
these kind of transportations systems are highly dependent on commercial and public subsidies. As a taxpayer, driver and biker I don't have problem with that.

I will say this: I totally do support subsidies for bike share, just as I support them for the trains and buses. They can be used to spread a system into less profitable areas of a city and serve everybody better, to keep membership prices lower, etc.

It just happens that we have a bike share system that's been paid for with private money, and there is absolutely nothing that requires us to pay a dime of JC tax dollars for it. The only legal recourse Citi Bike has if it can't make ends meet here is to leave and plop our docks down in Astoria or Morningside Heights or one of the many other places where they're currently SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER because we got them first.

Or maybe it's more of a Shelbyville idea.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 22:53

Edited by elsquid on 2015/9/24 23:18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I would argue that bicycles have a easier time going over the PSEG street crap than cars do, which would be an incentive for bike subsidies by the city Anyway, these kind of transportations systems are highly dependent on commercial and public subsidies. As a taxpayer, driver and biker I don't have problem with that.

I wish them good luck, it is already apparent that Grove Street needs more docks!

Posted on: 2015/9/24 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yyyeah again posting articles from a year and a half ago, about conditions at the time, which any cursory review of more current coverage would reveal have changed.

But OK, you're right. In Jersey City's half-billion-dollar budget, the thing that we didn't spend money on, and are not required to spend a dime on, is the "money pit." Not the endless buckets full of money spent to perpetuate deadly car dominance. Not unfair of you at all.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

You like being ultra-conservative, a late adopter? That's fair. But we're hardly pioneers here.

No, I'm a realist and a person who performs due diligence when engaging in new ideas or projects - As a construction consultant its my job to look at costings and profit expectations

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/citi ... t-but-its-too-big-to-fail citibike drowning in debt!

http://business.time.com/2014/01/21/b ... -bike-sharing-in-america/

Posted on: 2015/9/24 21:05

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2015/9/24 21:20:49
Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2015/9/24 21:21:22
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Elsquid for all the time and effort you've put in to make this a success.

I checked out the bikes this morning and was also impressed with them. I have Trek mountain bike which is very hard on my wrists - and I was considering getting something more comfortable. The Citibike appears to give me the perfect ride position. The weather will be perfect this weekend for a long tour of JC - BBQ at HP, Irish festival at Exchange Place, then work off some of the excess along the waterfront....

Posted on: 2015/9/24 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
The app looks cool with JC on it. Available bikes and docks. Perfect for planning a ride.

https://member.citibikenyc.com/map/

It is cool! It has been improved many times, many ways, since Citi Bike launched in NYC. Better displays, more reliable and up-to-date data.

By the bye, that and other (non-Citi-built) bike share apps generally overlay onto the public Google Maps in Bicycling mode, thus showing the bike lanes too, in green. Those are visible because, well, I put them there, along with my fellow Bike JCer Michael Flinck. We rode every inch of each one to make sure it was actually done, and edited them into Google Maps.

Several are still missing, particularly some crosstown lanes across northern Greenville, because we haven't fully surveyed them yet, and we don't want to lead anyone astray. City maps of the lanes are more for their planning purposes, so we want to be sure.

(Of course, lately some have been damaged by utility work, though they are still at least partially visible and all are supposed to be repaired promptly. We'll see. The repairs we have seen, like on Duncan Ave., have gone pretty well, with whole blocks resurfaced and the whole bike lane repainted from scratch.)

Anyway, just in case you were wondering what we at Castle Bike JC do with all our free time and vast fortunes.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
The app looks cool with JC on it. Available bikes and docks. Perfect for planning a ride.

https://member.citibikenyc.com/map/

Posted on: 2015/9/24 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
As someone who lives in Jersey City and spends around half of their time in NYC, Citibike is hugely beneficial to me. And there are a LOT of people like me in Jersey City.

There are, though we won't hear from many of them here, mainly because when people are happy with something, they are less likely to jump on a forum--especially this one--and comment about it. Unless they're advocates like me.

And of course, the bike share here, as in every city, is meant to have benefits that go well beyond just the people who use it. It's meant to:

-- replace some car trips, moving a given number of people with less car traffic, thus (mile for mile) less road wear, less air pollution, and less danger of crash injuries and deaths, all of which affect non-Citi Bikers plenty

-- make biking even more visible, especially biking as transportation, thus encouraging others to consider doing it on their own bikes in a virtuous "cycle"

-- help to calm down motor traffic, just by the sheer number of bikes on the streets (that's a proven effect, and it actually helps pedestrian safety even more than biker safety)

-- encourage and enable local economic activity, from dining out to light shopping, thus boosting JC businesses, employment, tax base, etc. (because people on bikes generally don't ride to the Short Hills Mall, they spend their money here)

Those are all benefits of bike share that accrue to people who DON'T use it, as much as to people who do.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
As someone who lives in Jersey City and spends around half of their time in NYC, Citibike is hugely beneficial to me. And there are a LOT of people like me in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 18:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
If anything, using CitiBike was to Jersey City's advantage; the maintenance and support network for the docks and bikes is already completely built up thanks to NYC's program. Jersey City got the newest bikes and the newest docks (which were based on the trial and error of the past 2 years of NYC's program).

Down the line, more station locations will add to the convenience factor and help relieve dock/bike congestion points through redundancy (for instance, where I work there are 5 different docking stations within a one block radius).

Posted on: 2015/9/24 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So just to recap, FAB, they're not spending tax dollars on this, so they're not sapping funding for bikes lanes, etc.

As for failures in other cities, there are FAR more successes. There are about 40 bike shares currently in operation in the U.S., including in cities with broiling summers, snowy winters, hills, whatever. There are 7,500 bikes running just across the river in our sister Citi system. There are an estimated 1.5 MILLION bike share bikes available in the world at this moment. And the fact that a lot more new cities are coming online soon is hardly an indictment.

You like being ultra-conservative, a late adopter? That's fair. But we're hardly pioneers here.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Would have been great to be on same program of Hoboken so we don't have to transfer PATH trains to get over there. Also be able to use the path along the Hudson.

That said, it's Hoboken that are the foolish one's that are going with their own system. Jersey City made the right move to link up with the real city.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I'm surprised they did not put one near the borderline Hero69. Maybe staying with the Hoboken share would have been a better decision. Make it one uniform transportation system.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 10:04
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
hola, i hear that they are still studying whether to build a 3rd runway at heathrow. there is such a thing as studying something to death.. i love my citibike. too bad there won't beany docks near the hoboken trder joe'sQuote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

taoofdre wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
We could have disposable, solid-gold Trump Bikes for every citizen for what cars cost us, directly as taxpayers (constant road work, public land giveaways for $15 parking, oil wars) and indirectly as people (violent death on the roads, disease caused by air pollution and sedentary life), but we've been brainwashed to accept the status quo, so instead we kvetch about the "money pit" that our two-day-old bike share will inevitably become. Crazy.

Even if Citi Bike JC becomes a total, abject failure, it at least will have been an attempt to do the right thing, with lessons to be learned for future attempts, instead of the lazy, complacent continuation of a huge, tragic mistake that kills 30,000+ Americans a year violently, and countless more silently.

Agreed!

I wish it was a success but when you're playing with tax-funds (public purse), due diligence should be paramount with any projects and a detailed business plan should have been introduced. There was enough history with other cities taking on this project / idea that failed and we had the opportunity to sit back and wait, but instead we went head-first and will be another casualty of poor business practises.

The bike share is just like the monorail idea like on the Simpsons show and certain cities and towns took the bait without doing their homework.

The money spent already could have been better spent on security focused lockable public bike stands / racks at out transport hubs, places of interest and more bike paths.

Posted on: 2015/9/24 7:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

taoofdre wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
We could have disposable, solid-gold Trump Bikes for every citizen for what cars cost us, directly as taxpayers (constant road work, public land giveaways for $15 parking, oil wars) and indirectly as people (violent death on the roads, disease caused by air pollution and sedentary life), but we've been brainwashed to accept the status quo, so instead we kvetch about the "money pit" that our two-day-old bike share will inevitably become. Crazy.

Even if Citi Bike JC becomes a total, abject failure, it at least will have been an attempt to do the right thing, with lessons to be learned for future attempts, instead of the lazy, complacent continuation of a huge, tragic mistake that kills 30,000+ Americans a year violently, and countless more silently.

Agreed!

I wish it was a success but when you're playing with tax-funds (public purse), due diligence should be paramount with any projects and a detailed business plan should have been introduced. There was enough history with other cities taking on this project / idea that failed and we had the opportunity to sit back and wait, but instead we went head-first and will be another casualty of poor business practises.

The bike share is just like the monorail idea like on the Simpsons show and certain cities and towns took the bait without doing their homework.

The money spent already could have been better spent on security focused lockable public bike stands / racks at out transport hubs, places of interest and more bike paths.
No matter where the funds originate, there should be due diligence, but my understanding is that there are no public monies involved in the initial program. Where have you heard otherwise?

Posted on: 2015/9/24 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

taoofdre wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

Agreed!

Posted on: 2015/9/24 0:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/1 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:

Agreed!

Posted on: 2015/9/23 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Most of those articles are fairly old relative to the U.S. bike share boom, including your wsj piece on Citi Bike's struggles, from a year and a half ago. More recent coverage would note its new management, totally new self-produced bike fleet, improved service, huge ongoing expansion, etc.?funded by $30 million from private investors.

Although, even if Jersey City eventually does spend some money on it, it will be a bargain given its many benefits, just as subsidized trains and buses are.

Unlike the real money pit: The huge, wasteful, ultimately self-destructive government spending on car monoculture, which continues to pour your tax dollars into the dirtiest, most dangerous, least efficient form of ground transport.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 11:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/23 5:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FYI, if you at a full or empty station, and need to find another, and you don't have your phone or the app or battery life or whatever ...

The stations themselves will display a map of nearby stations on their little display screens, also showing the number of bikes and open docks currently in each.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Pls people wear a helmet you are going to die. I ride to and from jsq on my own bike everyday on bergan ave even my husband who never wore a helmet down now wears one. Also avoid JFK at all costs. The sidewalk is not the solution to that danger. there are multiple streets that run parallel, utalize them.

I'm hoping citibike in JC will make JC more bike friendly.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I checked the system today and they clearly rotated bikes between liberty light rail/brunswick/hamilton park and grove street/exchange to smooth out pre and post rush hours supply/demand. They are proactive so I would not worry too much about it. I saw people returning bikes and cycling in the street as I was errrr, driving. This is a great start, more stations, as long as the resupply truck can navigate the PSE&G big dig mess!

Posted on: 2015/9/23 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
There were 9 bikes last night here in Bayside Park, but this morning as of 7 AM there were only 2. People are skipping the lightrail and biking down to Grove or Exchange PL. So people are using them, even in GV.

Is there ever a point where there are
no docking stations available? Or is the usage high enough where there is a good in/out ratio of exchange? I'm just wondering what one would do if they were going downtown and the docks were already full of bikes of commuters before them? Excuse my lack of knowledge - just wondered what a rider would do in that situation?

Thanks guys - your info was helpful.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
There were 9 bikes last night here in Bayside Park, but this morning as of 7 AM there were only 2. People are skipping the lightrail and biking down to Grove or Exchange PL. So people are using them, even in GV.

Is there ever a point where there are no docking stations available? Or is the usage high enough where there is a good in/out ratio of exchange? I'm just wondering what one would do if they were going downtown and the docks were already full of bikes of commuters before them? Excuse my lack of knowledge - just wondered what a rider would do in that situation?

Two things: 1) If there aren't any available docks to return your bike, you can get an additional 15 minutes (free of charge) using the station console, and 2) you can use the app to find another dock nearby.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Is there ever a point where there are no docking stations available? Or is the usage high enough where there is a good in/out ratio of exchange? I'm just wondering what one would do if they were going downtown and the docks were already full of bikes of commuters before them? Excuse my lack of knowledge - just wondered what a rider would do in that situation?

This is definitely possible as they look at usage and tweak the system.

In these cases you go up to the console and they give you additional time to get to the closest docking station with an opening.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Good question, not sure if I have the answer... but when I got off at Exchange place last night around 8 PM there was only 1 bike left and plenty docks for bikes.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/22 19:10

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017