Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Building a Deck (hopefully : )...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kellynate wrote:
Thanks so much for the information everyone! Thinking of giving Poltmax a call - has anyone else worked with them?

Poltmax is excellent and reasonably-priced. Used them for a couple of jobs that were too big to do myself (not a deck, but big work). Super job every time. Gave them the keys to my house. They've done work all up and down my block and everyone's been happy.

Posted on: 2015/9/15 15:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/16 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
The sunroom/enclosed porch would be on the 1st floor, and a conversion of an existing mudroom I think (but probably make it a little larger - it's tiny!). Agreed that will need someone good to do the structural work properly. Any good leads very appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/9/15 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Pay a bit more and use Trex for the decking material.

2nd story is a structural challenge so have it done correctly.

Posted on: 2015/9/15 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BergenWood wrote:
Looking for a contractor to do foundation (stucco) repair that's under steps to the backyard, and would like to add a small sunroom/glass enclosed porch while I'm at it. Saw that Family Landscaping (& Contractors) changed their name, but still the same contact (Alex). Any contractor work feedback for them? Any other recommendations? Thank you!!

Contractor name changes often means the BBB complaints and other negative feedback were piling up. Beware.

Posted on: 2015/9/15 1:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/16 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
Looking for a contractor to do foundation (stucco) repair that's under steps to the backyard, and would like to add a small sunroom/glass enclosed porch while I'm at it. Saw that Family Landscaping (& Contractors) changed their name, but still the same contact (Alex). Any contractor work feedback for them? Any other recommendations? Thank you!!

Posted on: 2015/9/15 1:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/6 1:14
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Kellynate, did you go through with building your deck? Or anyone on this thread happen to have additional input?

I am in a historical district and need to meet condo approval for a potential deck build, am in search of a good contractor for an estimate.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 1:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/2 14:28
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks so much for the information everyone! Thinking of giving Poltmax a call - has anyone else worked with them?

Posted on: 2014/9/2 14:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/1 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
Our neighbors just had their existing deck replaced by Poltmax Contractors. They did a beautiful job and now we are going to have them replace our deck next spring. One of the partners is a structural engineer (who will draft plans) and that's who you need on a job like this, not an architect. Call Ziggie Zdizslaw, one of the other partners, at (570) 242-3083 to have him stop by and give you an estimate. Good luck!

Posted on: 2014/8/12 3:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/5 18:11
Group:
Registered Users
Kellynate, What contractor are you using? Anyone you would recommend? We're building a deck, too.

Posted on: 2014/8/10 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
kellynate wrote: Hi there. We live downtown and noticed that our condo by-laws allow us to construct a deck on the backside of our unit and we've already had a few contractors come out and take a look. We are on the second level (above parlor level) of a rowhouse, so the deck would be a second-story deck. There is already an existing first-story deck. One contractor mentioned that, because it is a second-story deck, that we "may" need architectural plans in order to get a permit from the city. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with building a second-story deck downtown. If so, did you have to hire an architect in order to obtain the permit? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I went through this some years ago. Exact same kind of project, except I was on the first level. I definitely needed architectural blueprints to get a building permit. I used Alan Feld. He was reasonably priced and very professional. If you want to know more about the city bureaucracy I had to navigate and what to do, PM me. It probably has gotten a little better in the city's construction office since then but don't quote me on that.

Posted on: 2014/8/10 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This link might answer some questions relating to permits.

http://www.njpermits.com/faqs.asp

Posted on: 2014/8/9 23:54
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Building a Deck (hopefully : )...

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/2 14:28
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hi there. We live downtown and noticed that our condo by-laws allow us to construct a deck on the backside of our unit and we've already had a few contractors come out and take a look.

We are on the second level (above parlor level) of a rowhouse, so the deck would be a second-story deck. There is already an existing first-story deck.

One contractor mentioned that, because it is a second-story deck, that we "may" need architectural plans in order to get a permit from the city.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with building a second-story deck downtown. If so, did you have to hire an architect in order to obtain the permit?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/8/9 23:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017