Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hudson River waterfront needs vast improvement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I read in the wsj that mack-cali is thinking about bring a smorgasburg market type place to harborside,, yay!

Posted on: 2015/9/17 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with you.

I see the JC waterfront as just being different. Lets not forget that JC offers significantly more park space than any other municipality in the area and LSP is easily accessed...

As someone who has been using the waterfront for years of running, walking, and relaxing I appreciate what we have.

Someone brought up Newport earlier in the thread - I think its important to note, that it was designed to keep JC out and essentially be stand alone (which I believe was accomplished). When Newport went up... JC wasnt the thriving picture of gentrification that it is now. Newport developers didnt want the rest of JC there.

Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Here's a contrarian view: The walkway is kind of nice, as-is. There is no shortage of places to eat and get drunk in Jersey City, and the walkway is peaceful, relaxing and mercifully free of someone trying to sell me stuff. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had little kids, but I enjoy a stroll or bike ride there lots of evenings.

Go ahead, haters, hate on me.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a contrarian view: The walkway is kind of nice, as-is. There is no shortage of places to eat and get drunk in Jersey City, and the walkway is peaceful, relaxing and mercifully free of someone trying to sell me stuff. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had little kids, but I enjoy a stroll or bike ride there lots of evenings.

Go ahead, haters, hate on me.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Easy fix, get rid of most of the massive lobbies and make restaurants, shops, etc.

Most of the buildings on the water fronts have huge lobby's and IMO they don't need to be that big... or sell off some of those parking decks that people on here say no one is using.... sell some of it off for shops and eateries.

Hell, there's a 'mall' along a good strip of it that has windows that could open up to the waterfront, but remain closed at all times. There are lots of lawns behind fences that aren't even being used by the buildings that could easily be accessible. They could find a way to allow the Taphouse to have actual outdoor seating. They could put up a snackbar or summer beer garden on the pier in Exchange place. They could have worked with Newport to put in some sort of vendors by the beach in the new park so people could stay for a while.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Easy fix, get rid of most of the massive lobbies and make restaurants, shops, etc.

Most of the buildings on the water fronts have huge lobby's and IMO they don't need to be that big... or sell off some of those parking decks that people on here say no one is using.... sell some of it off for shops and eateries.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
If Fulop has his way, the entire waterfront walkway will be the Can't See the Hudson River Over the 30-foot-high Storm Surge Berm with High Rise Development Walkway.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 16:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I wonder how feasible it would be to build out the waterfront on pilings in a couple places, to create parkland/green open space. I would think that it is in fact feasible, but I'm sure it's too costly to make it a reality. But it would be nice to see some proposals that address this.

It took Hoboken 10 years to finally get their park open and even them shoddy construction shut it down almost right away.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder how feasible it would be to build out the waterfront on pilings in a couple places, to create parkland/green open space. I would think that it is in fact feasible, but I'm sure it's too costly to make it a reality. But it would be nice to see some proposals that address this.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

TL;DR: The waterfront walkway is very successful, as it is both on the waterfront and a walkway. People on a message board are complaining that there aren't enough restaurants along the walkway, which has absolutely nothing to do with the success of providing public access to the waterfront.

Yes, people have access, but there is little about it that makes it a pleasant place to visit.

Access is nice, but when you have one of the better views in the world you would kind of hope to leverage it into something more than a sterile walkway that passes by fences and parking garages.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:

I know it's a state project, but why is the half-built Colgate Clock park lying in waste, completely abandoned?

It's been abandoned? I've noticed progress. It's been slow, but I odn't think it's abandoned.

It's mostly done.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
If this was a residence, would they let them slide? No.

Walk down the south side of 2nd St. between Erie and Manila. The scaffolding has been up for years.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
why is the half-built Colgate Clock park lying in waste, completely abandoned?

Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
I know it's a state project

there yo go

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Doesn't Fulop have any pull with Goldman Sachs to get their building fixed and the scaffolding removed around the base? Would a homeowner be allowed to keep that up for half a decade??

If I remember right, the scaffolding went up because an inspection found some danger with ice sliding off the building or a risk of panels falling off or something like that. The reason the scaffolding is still up is because of a bunch of lawsuits related to the construction and who covers the cost, or something dumb like that.

After half a decade (or more??) GS should just fix it and continue the litigation, it's not like they can't afford it-and the city should start fining the hell out of both GS and the builder. If this was a residence, would they let them slide? No.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:

I know it's a state project, but why is the half-built Colgate Clock park lying in waste, completely abandoned?

It's been abandoned? I've noticed progress. It's been slow, but I odn't think it's abandoned.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
why is the half-built Colgate Clock park lying in waste, completely abandoned?

Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
I know it's a state project

there yo go

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Doesn't Fulop have any pull with Goldman Sachs to get their building fixed and the scaffolding removed around the base? Would a homeowner be allowed to keep that up for half a decade??

If I remember right, the scaffolding went up because an inspection found some danger with ice sliding off the building or a risk of panels falling off or something like that. The reason the scaffolding is still up is because of a bunch of lawsuits related to the construction and who covers the cost, or something dumb like that.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Are they doing a better job on the Westside waterfront? I don't know, not being snarky.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Yes, the west-side resembles BK waterfront at least according to the designs that are displayed in the area. Design includes specialty shops, mixed with chain stores, open green space, and restaurants.

I think they already received a few smart growth awards. I can't believe both projects are finally moving along. Great.

Bayfront link: http://www.bayfrontjerseycity.com/

NJCU West Campus link: http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/w ... oto/18677219-standard.png

Posted on: 2015/9/13 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, the west-side resembles BK waterfront at least according to the designs that are displayed in the area. Design includes specialty shops, mixed with chain stores, open green space, and restaurants.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Are they doing a better job on the Westside waterfront? I don't know, not being snarky.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
It's like Jersey City's history only started when you moved here:

Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I got to go with incompetence on this one too. What was Jersey City thinking when they signed off on Newport? Not against development but it's just poorly done.

So many opinions, so little background knowledge.

Public access to the waterfront is federally mandated. This sometimes came before development (much of Paulus Hook near the former boat house, Port Liberte, etc) but many buildings were put up before this became a thing. These office buildings and residences did not dedicate their ground floor to retail because, well, why would they? Prior to 1988, development could take over a section of the waterfront and completely shut out the public from it.

Unlike Hoboken, downtown Jersey City along the waterfront was a clean slate for the most part between Exchange Place and Newport in the 1980s. Some structures were built on former (or reinforced) pier pilings like the Hyatt. This accounts for the zigzagging on the walkway. This also creates some remote outposts like Taphaus that have opened along the walkway but are a real effort to get to. This also prevents multiple bars or restaurants from opening next to one another. There is no "destination" along the waterfront, only individual establishments.

Other businesses like Henry's on the Hudson (is that even still there?) have some of the best views of downtown but are so obscured by surrounding development.

The fact that the waterfront is available to the general public is miracle.

TL;DR: The waterfront walkway is very successful, as it is both on the waterfront and a walkway. People on a message board are complaining that there aren't enough restaurants along the walkway, which has absolutely nothing to do with the success of providing public access to the waterfront.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/13 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
The waterfront is a disaster for the same reason we have hideous, sprawling parking lots surrounding building-block co-op towers in the epicenter of downtown. Because during the era when the waterfront was developed, JC (and much of NYC, for that matter) was a failing city that people wanted to get away from, and thus, was desperate. It completely gave away the waterfront to corporate interests because the city figured concrete and ugly glass and steel towers was an improvement on rotting piers and industrial waste.

Now that the city has turned around, the waterfront is an eyesore and a complete waste of a beautiful resource.

The real disturbing thing is that the city doesn't seem to care or have any interest in improving it. In fact, City Hall, in an attempt to garner credibility goes out of its way to bash "the waterfront" instead of embracing the fact that a beautiful waterfront would be a tremendous resource for ALL wards of the city.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 14:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Please remember that when redevelopment of Newport and Exchange Place began, the Hudson River shoreline (on both sides, NY and NJ) was an industrial / post-industrial wasteland. The Hudson was a polluted mess. NYC was recently out of near-bankruptcy, full of crime and drugs. Having the PATH station within a block or two of your apartment or office would've been very attractive back then - as it is now - but overall it was a very different environment.

That said, no excuses for the poor planning / no big picture vision after those dark early days passed. As Brewster mentioned, Hoboken has done a much better job developing special public spaces on its waterfront.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
why is jc allowing a tremendous asset - its Hudson river waterfront - to languish? there are great views of the manhattan skyline, one of the best skylines in the world? why aren't there more cafes, restaurants where one can sit and just enjoy the view? maybe have some outdoor musicians every so often

Posted on: 2015/9/12 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I got to go with incompetence on this one too. What was Jersey City thinking when they signed off on Newport? Not against development but it's just poorly done.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
why is jc allowing a tremendous asset - its Hudson river waterfront - to languish? there are great views of the manhattan skyline, one of the best skylines in the world? why aren't there more cafes, restaurants where one can sit and just enjoy the view? maybe have some outdoor musicians every so often

Because JC has let developers have complete control to maximize their profits by creating a dead minimum of public space. Subminimum. Hoboken's waterfront puts ours to shame. We have nothing as spectacular as their Sinatra park amphitheater against the Manhattan skyline, or the grassy expanse of Pier A. If JC's planners had been in charge of Manhattan in the 19th century there would be no Central Park.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
There are other threads on this, I think I even started one a few years ago. The waterfront is definitely a waste of an opportunity. I don't think too many people would disagree. It's cold and corporate, with almost no interesting restaurants of any sort.

The sad thing is there really isn't much that can be done.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 0:28

Hudson River waterfront needs vast improvement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/11 23:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017