Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Coming Soon - Carvao BBQ in McGinly Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

New Jersey City barbecue joint fills void with open-flame cooking

By Steven Rodas | For The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on September 01, 2015 at 10:34 AM

JERSEY CITY – The love for open-flame cooking and an atmosphere found only in family-owned businesses are the foundation for one of Jersey City's newest barbecue joints, Carvao BBQ.

The restaurant's "carvao" -- the Portuguese word for charcoal -- was imported from Brazil to help the rustic and modern restaurant/bar's menu items achieve a unique taste.

"We're blessed to have so many people come in and thank us since we opened, showing us how happy they are to have a place in this area they can go to and call their own," said Steve Papas, 47, a native of Greece who has lived in Jersey City for most of his life.

Papas officially opened Carvao BBQ, located at 686 Bergen Ave., on July 26 with cousin Jordi Papaspyrou, 35, and longtime friend Maksym Rudenko, 30.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... id_with_open-flame_b.html

Posted on: 2015/9/2 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
It's a terrific space, food needs to get ramped up. I'm giving it a few weeks before I give it a second try.

I feel exactly the same. I'll try again, but it will be some time...

I'll probably hit the very attractive bar for an occasional drink/beer just to give them some business while they get the kitchen and service straightened out. Hate to see it fail, because it really could be an anchor for the area.

Very true.

I was there on their very first night and ran into Dorian on the way out. It was nice to see him. Too bad the place didn't hire him to run it...

Posted on: 2015/9/1 16:56
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
It's a terrific space, food needs to get ramped up. I'm giving it a few weeks before I give it a second try.

I'll probably hit the very attractive bar for an occasional drink/beer just to give them some business while they get the kitchen and service straightened out. Hate to see it fail, because it really could be an anchor for the area.

Posted on: 2015/9/1 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/9/1 15:52
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/1 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Steven Rodas | For The Jersey Journal

The love for open-flame cooking and an atmosphere found only in family-owned businesses are the foundation for one of Jersey City's newest barbecue joints, Carvao BBQ.

The restaurant's "carvao" -- the Portuguese word for charcoal -- was imported from Brazil to help the rustic and modern restaurant/bar's menu items achieve a unique taste.

"We're blessed to have so many people come in and thank us since we opened, showing us how happy they are to have a place in this area they can go to and call their own," said Steve Papas, 47, a native of Greece who has lived in Jersey City for most of his life.

Papas officially opened Carvao BBQ, located at 686 Bergen Ave., on July 26 with cousin Jordi Papaspyrou, 35, and longtime friend Maksym Rudenko, 30.

More

Posted on: 2015/9/1 15:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Went recently, just not impressive. Too soon to write it off though, will continue to visit when in the area. Perhaps in a couple of months.
Right now they have corny sports bar vibe with ok food and apathetic employees.

Posted on: 2015/8/31 21:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/10 4:36
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Went last night. Very disappointed, food was sub par, ribs and chicken were very dry with no discernible dry rub on the ribs (I could only taste salt on the undercooked chewy ribs). No bbq sauce except for store bought. Dry flavorless rice. Salmon was pretty good but overcooked and the fries were decent. Hopefully they can figure out how to do real open pit Portuguese bbq like they do in Newark. Also, it's very clear that no competent management is running the restaurant. Too bad as the place is nicely designed and with good food and better management it could be a great place.

Posted on: 2015/8/29 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
That looks decidedly non bbq

It's Portuguese BBQ, and not a traditional one at that. We were there yesterday, it's a great space. As they're in a 'soft' opening they'll need time to work out the kinks, and boy, do I hope they will. Tons of potential.

I agree completely.

I had given it a shot about a week ago. After eating, I felt they had a bunch of stuff to be worked out. I do hope that they do get it sorted...

Posted on: 2015/8/3 15:48
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

It's Portuguese BBQ, and not a traditional one at that. We were there yesterday, it's a great space. As they're in a 'soft' opening they'll need time to work out the kinks, and boy, do I hope they will. Tons of potential.

Posted on: 2015/8/3 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Mine is a charcoal model.

I load in about 2/3 of a bag of Kingsford Competition, add in a few hunks of pecan, apple or cherry wood, and toos on about 20 lit briquettes. The IQ 120 (the yellow and red device) monitors the interior temperature and either blows in air, or shuts down the flow, to keep the temperature constant. If you pile up the colas properly, they burn very slowly, igniting a few at a time as the fire travels from one end of the pile to the other, so you get a long , even burn, with no need to watch for temperature spikes, or to add more fuel.

I did this batch hot and fast, at 300, wrapping the meat at 90 minutes (ribs) or at internal temperature of 150 (the brisket and shoulder), and continued to cook them until they were done.

The smoker was loaded at 9am, and everything was done, rested, sliced, pulled and served by 3PM. If I did it at 225, I would have had to start the night before.

Interesting. Mine maxes at 270, but the electric gives very even heat. It has a relatively small chamber for wood chips, requiring it to be fed at least every hour. I guess most people buy them, but I have peach and fig trees and plenty of wood from them. It's a pain to cut it up small enough. Bought some bags of chunks of hickory & mesquite being deeply discounted at the Depot, but hickory is REALLY hard to cut up!

Chunks really meant for bullet or UDS style cookers. They do sell wood chips, but a good non electric smoker would be a pellet cooker. You really don't get a smoke ring with an all electric cooker.(not sure why, its a sciencey thing)

Posted on: 2015/8/2 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/1 18:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Carvao BBQ is finally open. Its only a soft opening right now.
Menu looks good. Eating there tonight!

Menu Inside

Menu Outside

Posted on: 2015/8/1 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

papadage wrote:

I load in about 2/3 of a bag of Kingsford Competition, add in a few hunks of pecan, apple or cherry wood, and toos on about 20 lit briquettes. The IQ 120 (the yellow and red device) monitors the interior temperature and either blows in air, or shuts down the flow, to keep the temperature constant. If you pile up the colas properly, they burn very slowly, igniting a few at a time as the fire travels from one end of the pile to the other, so you get a long , even burn, with no need to watch for temperature spikes, or to add more fuel.

I did this batch hot and fast, at 300, wrapping the meat at 90 minutes (ribs) or at internal temperature of 150 (the brisket and shoulder), and continued to cook them until they were done.

The smoker was loaded at 9am, and everything was done, rested, sliced, pulled and served by 3PM. If I did it at 225, I would have had to start the night before.

Interesting. Mine maxes at 270, but the electric gives very even heat. It has a relatively small chamber for wood chips, requiring it to be fed at least every hour. I guess most people buy them, but I have peach and fig trees and plenty of wood from them. It's a pain to cut it up small enough. Bought some bags of chunks of hickory & mesquite being deeply discounted at the Depot, but hickory is REALLY hard to cut up!

Posted on: 2015/7/16 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Wait, I thought Fulop showed his unwavering support for independent businesses by banning chain stores downtown? You mean to tell me it is still very difficult for businesses to open, and he hasn't addressed the real problem?

If this place was located Downtown and/or operated by a celebrity chef, they would be open already.

Posted on: 2015/7/16 14:01
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Yep, the Minion.. or the Snake for shorter cooks, like for chickens or a couple of turkey breasts. I may try a cold smoke too.. for salmon and bacon, which is with only five coals at a time.

I order the wood online. I get a mixed batch of chinks from here every few month.

http://www.baxtersoriginal.com/

Posted on: 2015/7/16 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Minion method, nice. Where are you getting the wood?

Posted on: 2015/7/16 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2015/7/16 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Damn Papadage, you've got quite an operation! I bought a Masterchef electric smoker this spring after I caught a mess of bluefish. Brined overnight, comes out amazing. Smoker works great, but keeping the right amount of woodchips going is tricky. Do I understand yours has an automatic chip feeder?

The only other thing I've done so far was a mess of dry rubbed dark meat chicken parts for a party. Surprisingly moist for a 3 hr cook.

Posted on: 2015/7/16 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Wait, I thought Fulop showed his unwavering support for independent businesses by banning chain stores downtown? You mean to tell me it is still very difficult for businesses to open, and he hasn't addressed the real problem?

Posted on: 2015/7/16 2:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I was just looking this up the other day because the space has looked finished and ready to go for months. According to their Facebook post from 3 weeks ago, its the same-ol' same-ol' JC thing with them having to jump through hoops to satisfy the various entities in the city gov.

From their FB page:

"Good day to all Carvao BBQ supporters, friends and family! We wanted to provide you with a status update on where we are with the opening. As some of you might already know, we are going through tough business of satisfying each and every request of the City and governing bodies. Despite all of these difficulties, we want to let you know that we are going strong and Carvao BBQ will finally open it's doors very soon to serve the neighborhood and all of Jersey City. Again, thank you very much, we appreciate and value all of you support and patience on this journey. Love, Carvao BBQ."

Posted on: 2015/7/16 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Did someone say BBQ?

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/15 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Any one hear any news on this place opening? I live down the street and pass it everyday hoping to see it open.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 22:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/10 18:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. I cringe when I see TV screens in bars or restaurants. It is certainly not a draw for me or my friends, even though I love BBQ.

That said, I am excited for new establishments in McGinley Square, and welcome this addition!

(As as an ex-Brooklynite, I selfishly hope that JC restaurant/bar owners scope out the kind of places that are doing so well in Brooklyn, i.e. spaces not catering to lowest common denominator.)

Posted on: 2015/4/26 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I am actually going to Savannah again next month. Well, to Tybee Island, which is where we stayed last time as well. There's a week long get together of friends, and my newly minted fiance will get to meet my friends. Several of us are already planning BBQ for the week, since we have access to a smoker and grill there.

I have not tried the one on Montclair yet, but I am always up for some BBQ. Some of the Cuban places in Edgewater and Weehawken also do pig roasts in the warmer weather. Sabor has a good one, and the place is really nice relax in since it has a great patio.

Posted on: 2015/4/24 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Whereabouts in TX? I have a bunch of friends in DFW, and a few of them and I did a 2,500 mile motorcycle tour (I met up with them in TN with a few other friends in common), and then we did a run to Savannah, to stay at a beach house on Tybee Island with a bunch more friends. Another friend went there with his wife in their truck, so I had them take my smoker, and we BBQd for a week.

Nowadays, I use an automatic electric stoker to keep the pit temps at a nice 275, and do a hotter/faster smoke that comes out just as good. Maloneys and my buddy at the Malibu, as well as Cosco are my go to places to get meats. The diner especially is cool for getting 16lb packers.

papadage: that sounds like an awesome trip! I used to live in San Antonio. Almost five years. I still go out there often. Savannah is a great town, but I haven't been in a long time.

Costco is definitely a great place for meats. The quality is tops, and the prices are good, too. Over at the Zepp, they do a pig roast every weekend. I haven't tried yet, but I am curious. Maybe I will check it out in a week or two, when the warm weather finally takes hold. Have you tried that place in Montclair that someone else mentioned?

Posted on: 2015/4/24 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I've only had their brisket at Smorgasburg, and it is fantastic. I still use it as a benchmark for me to reach for my own BBQ.

Posted on: 2015/4/24 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
There's a Mighty Quinn's in Brookfield Place, in battery park. It's on the 2nd flr, in the food court. Sounds like I should give it a try next time I'm there.

Posted on: 2015/4/24 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Whereabouts in TX? I have a bunch of friends in DFW, and a few of them and I did a 2,500 mile motorcycle tour (I met up with them in TN with a few other friends in common), and then we did a run to Savannah, to stay at a beach house on Tybee Island with a bunch more friends. Another friend went there with his wife in their truck, so I had them take my smoker, and we BBQd for a week.

Nowadays, I use an automatic electric stoker to keep the pit temps at a nice 275, and do a hotter/faster smoke that comes out just as good. Maloneys and my buddy at the Malibu, as well as Cosco are my go to places to get meats. The diner especially is cool for getting 16lb packers.

Posted on: 2015/4/24 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
I agree about Mighty Quinn and Hill Country. Fette Sau in Brooklyn is also excellent.

But I bought a Weber Smoker a few years ago, and have gotten my ribs, brisket and pulled pork up to legit standards. My fiance's family also has a large rectangular grill with a rotisserie, and we did a whole lamb on it for Easter, and will be doing a whole suckling pig for the Fourth of July.

A decent BBQ place would be great locally, but I find lately that my friends and I can pretty much match any place I have tried. I like BBQ for entertaining. You can just let the meat smoke and then rest, and still have fun with your guests.

Back when I used to be a homeowner (in Texas) I used to also own a smoker (as basic a model as you can get) and learning to master it was a cinch. And, I agree with you: the end result was on par with the average BBQ place. The simplicity and ease of it was a huge plus, too. I would get my meats ready the day before, place them in the smoker late at night, before going to bed, and then wake up in the morning to check on everything. I miss not having a backyard. Apartment living has its upsides, but some things you can't replace.

Posted on: 2015/4/24 17:39

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017