Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Stopping Cigarette Smoke From Entering from an Adjoining Building
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What about creating some homeowner rules specific to your complex - no smoking in common areas or on balconies (allowing for 'in' apartment smoking only), no noise to be emitted after certain hours, playing of any ball games in the car park, displaying of flags or religious icons in public view (imagine if some knucklehead wants to display a Nazi flag or a flag with terrorist connections from their balcony or window - who plays if the building gets damaged as a result by protesters?)

It's worth generating some clear rules for a complex and via a simply AGM of homeowners to vote on ... it could mitigate many problems including a rule that stipulates on how many people can occupy a 1 bedroom condo and so on .... a simple ratio could apply to avoid apartments being occupied by a herd of people ... not to mention that most water bills are divided by the amount of units and not the occupants (many buildings don't have individual water meters)

Posted on: 2015/8/29 11:02
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Short term might try a box fan blowing air into your room. If you can increase the relative pressure in your room, less smoke should seep through.

For masking the smell - the only thing I found that works is Ozium spray - tough to find except in the smaller sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009 ... age_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posted on: 2015/8/28 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Ahh, I feel for you. My neighbor smokes from his balcony - cigs, pot, etc. I have to close all my windows to avoid it. It's awful.

I don't know about long term, but short term, this might help:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004 ... =oh_aui_search_detailpage

I've used one for a few months and it's really effective.

Are there any covenants or restrictions in your townhome community against smoking? Might be worth checking on.

This was an interesting article as well:

http://www.no-smoke.org/document.php?id=213

Posted on: 2015/8/28 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Years ago, we had a problem with smoke coming up from a bedroom below ours. We pumped a lot of foam in the gaps where the floor met the brick wall. It worked.

Posted on: 2015/8/28 17:20

Stopping Cigarette Smoke From Entering from an Adjoining Building

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/4 1:37
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Just moved into the top floor of a Hamilton Park townhouse. We love it.

During the inspection, various visits, and walk-through we didn't detect any smoke--but once we moved in we realized that cigarette/cigar smoke pours in from the adjoining townhouse.

The wall is drywall and has our chimney, as well as half of our kitchen cabinetry. The smoke comes in through every crack and cut-out in the wall.

Has anyone had a similar issue with smoke entering from a neighboring property--and if so, have you had success stopping it?

We are currently considering taking the whole wall down in order to apply a foam sealant and secondary layer of sheet rock or something.

Thanks

Posted on: 2015/8/28 16:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017