Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
37 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 37

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: 42-story residential tower on tap for Journal Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Court victory paves way for new Journal Square high-rise

JERSEY CITY -- The owners of a property just outside Journal Square are demanding the city comply with a judicial order to vacate a portion of West Street, an action that would allow for construction of a high-rise on the site.

The city had been fighting the property owners in court, saying the previous council, which approved a deal to vacate the portion of West Street, was not legally permitted to tie the hands of the current council. An appellate court ruled in favor of the owners, Robinhood Plaza, in June and last month the New Jersey Supreme Court declined to hear the city's appeal.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... high-rise_win_new_co.html

Posted on: 11/9 18:31
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:

Ruling paves way for construction of Jersey City tower

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal 
October 08, 2015 at  3:21 PM

JERSEY CITY — A Hudson County Superior Court judge has ruled against Jersey City in its bid to halt construction of a tower that could rise up to 42 stories in Journal Square's Hilltop neighborhood.

Judge Barry P. Sarkisian ruled yesterday that the city reneged on its agreement with developer Robinhood Plaza and Sarkisian ordered the city to adopt an ordinance that would pave the way for construction on the tower to begin.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... low_for_construction.html

let's hope this project gets no abatements...but i am doubtful

Posted on: 2015/10/8 20:33
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Ruling paves way for construction of Jersey City tower

October 08, 2015 at  3:21 PM

JERSEY CITY — A Hudson County Superior Court judge has ruled against Jersey City in its bid to halt construction of a tower that could rise up to 42 stories in Journal Square's Hilltop neighborhood.

Judge Barry P. Sarkisian ruled yesterday that the city reneged on its agreement with developer Robinhood Plaza and Sarkisian ordered the city to adopt an ordinance that would pave the way for construction on the tower to begin.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... low_for_construction.html

Posted on: 2015/10/8 20:24
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Legal battle reignites over proposed Jersey City tower

Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on August 24, 2015 at  3:29 PM

JERSEY CITY — A battle that could determine how high developers can build in a residential Journal Square neighborhood is back in court, three years after the city negotiated a deal with the developer that would allow for a 42-story tower in the area.

The renewed legal fight comes as Journal Square prepares for a rush of new development that will lead to skyscrapers as high as 70 stories towering above the PATH transportation hub. Neighbors who live just to the east, in a neighborhood called the Hilltop, want the new towers to remain to their west.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... oposed_jersey_city_t.html

Posted on: 2015/8/25 0:38
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

On the other hand, living in the Heights I would love to see some development, if not of this magnitude!

I wouldn't mind a few high density market rate housing projects in the Heights, as long as there was some way of bringing in something like a HBLRT route. A route that would serve areas that are just too far away from JSQ or the stop near Congress St. (via elevator to Hoboken). How this could be done? Elevate the route (like the old trolleys were in parts through the heights) or dig a tunnel...

Buses get caught in traffic and miss their schedules, which makes them 3rd rate public transport compared to rail or bus only right of ways.

The above is wishful thinking on my part.. Given how its going to cost billions to run the PATH train a few miles, over an existing right of way to Newark Airport, I doubt such a project would ever be affordable.

At the risk of stealing Brewster's thunder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rede_Integrada_de_Transporte

Posted on: 2015/5/6 15:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

On the other hand, living in the Heights I would love to see some development, if not of this magnitude!

I wouldn't mind a few high density market rate housing projects in the Heights, as long as there was some way of bringing in something like a HBLRT route. A route that would serve areas that are just too far away from JSQ or the stop near Congress St. (via elevator to Hoboken). How this could be done? Elevate the route (like the old trolleys were in parts through the heights) or dig a tunnel...

Buses get caught in traffic and miss their schedules, which makes them 3rd rate public transport compared to rail or bus only right of ways.

The above is wishful thinking on my part.. Given how its going to cost billions to run the PATH train a few miles, over an existing right of way to Newark Airport, I doubt such a project would ever be affordable.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 13:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
So when Boggiano suggests the project be used as an anal toy he gets a pass, but when Fulop says something sucks Tante Yvonne is bent out of shape (hint: Google Tante Yvonne).

Posted on: 2015/5/6 10:37
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
On the one hand, I feel this represents the utter failure of the concept of urban planning - the contrast of scale and materiality is jarring, and the lack of any contextual relationship of the tower to it's surroundings really diminishes what sense of place the Hilltop neighborhood remains.

Two questions - when did Netter buy the parcel, and exactly what would they have "lost" adhering to the JS masterplan?

Posted on: 2015/5/5 10:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
i actually like this design a lot more than i was expecting to.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ml#incart_related_stories

just more unique than a lot of the standard brick 40+ story buildings downtown. i am for it, and again its across the street from a 70 story tower, so lets keep it in context. JSQ is inevitably going to grow, so as long as the growth is done responsibly, i say, bring it on.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 10:24
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/4 15:54
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Pebble, that sounds like an awesome place to start. Funny, I use Paulus Hook as an example because I used to live in that awesome neighborhood for about 7 years (back 15 years ago) until I couldn't afford it anymore . Can't believe I had to move because of the massive increase in prices, but that's how it goes. Believe me, aside from the aesthetics of my neighborhood, I love living there....just hoping for some much needed development to come our way. In another 10 years, my 20 year plan will come true hopefully! I'll have that gingerbread house by the time I retire!

Posted on: 2015/3/13 13:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zerkski wrote:
Your speaking like we have Paulus Hook funds to remove that siding. I hear ya, but we can't make our homes look nicer when we have no money. That plastic siding costs a fortune to restore to the brick. Maybe you could lend me a few bucks and we could do this together! Most of us that bought here in past 10-15 years cannot even refinance because we are underwater...things are not as easy as they seem! We got a big ass building being built in the Armory parking lot and I am filled with joy!

Um… I live down the road further towards “the hood.” I’m not in Paulus Hook.

However, I suggest you look into the state’s restoration fund. You’ll find that they have money available to those looking to restore properties.

Posted on: 2015/3/13 12:56
Dos A Cero
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Values will go up, but it hasn't happened yet, as most of those buildings haven't even broken ground.

Posted on: 2015/3/13 12:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zerkski wrote:
I live in Journal Square near the Armory...love it, it's ugly, neighbors are great. Bring on those 150 story highrises. I struggle every month to make3 my mortgage payments on a house that has actually lost value over the past 12 years. Gentrify the hell out of this neighborhood because the JHournal Square of 1950s does not exist anymore. We gotta make some positive progress at some time or the area will continue to implode. Progress is accomplished by building new big ass buildings and the increased home values and employment opportunities that come with it!

I thought all the new towers that are planned and the projects that are in the works were driving RE values up in the Journal Sq area.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 16:29
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zerkski wrote:
Your speaking like we have Paulus Hook funds to remove that siding. I hear ya, but we can't make our homes look nicer when we have no money.

Don't forget the city and the county will reward your efforts and expense by raising your taxes, since your property is now worth more. The best you can hope for is a 5 year tax abatement to ease the financial pain just a bit.

Taxing improved value has the perverse effect of making people to NOT want to maintain or improve their properties.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 17:14
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Your speaking like we have Paulus Hook funds to remove that siding. I hear ya, but we can't make our homes look nicer when we have no money. That plastic siding costs a fortune to restore to the brick. Maybe you could lend me a few bucks and we could do this together! Most of us that bought here in past 10-15 years cannot even refinance because we are underwater...things are not as easy as they seem! We got a big ass building being built in the Armory parking lot and I am filled with joy!

Posted on: 2015/3/11 16:12
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zerkski wrote:
I live in Journal Square near the Armory...love it, it's ugly, neighbors are great. Bring on those 150 story highrises. I struggle every month to make3 my mortgage payments on a house that has actually lost value over the past 12 years. Gentrify the hell out of this neighborhood because the JHournal Square of 1950s does not exist anymore. We gotta make some positive progress at some time or the area will continue to implode. Progress is accomplished by building new big ass buildings and the increased home values and employment opportunities that come with it!

I'm mostly in agreement, though I don't think the only solution is "new big ass buildings." I think the area by the Armory can improve greatly with some people taking down the plastic siding and exposing a lot of the brick that is hidden underneath. I think the area improves when the money starts coming in from new renters that want to see an improved property.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 13:10
Dos A Cero
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/11 11:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

littlemissmarker wrote:
Since development started at least in the 1890's Jersey City is clearly Matured and has passed from childhood to Adulthood. It may be changing but it is not maturing and moving toward adult hood. More like a face lift that will leave it totally unfamiliar to those who knew it before the face lift. But it will look younger and more attractive to some.
So in some ways Jersey City is regressing from Adulthood to childhood again. No?

Stick around... You will fit right in with the other loonies that are nothing more than old timer chicken littles: the world is coming to an end because the Jersey City you have romanticized in your mind has changed (to most people, the changes are an improvements, but to your kind they are a regression) and you can't stand that you are increasingly irrelevant to the future (and, brighter) JC.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 21:23
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Since development started at least in the 1890's Jersey City is clearly Matured and has passed from childhood to Adulthood. It may be changing but it is not maturing and moving toward adult hood. More like a face lift that will leave it totally unfamiliar to those who knew it before the face lift. But it will look younger and more attractive to some.
So in some ways Jersey City is regressing from Adulthood to childhood again. No?

Posted on: 2015/3/10 19:50
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I complained -- they didn't enforce.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 19:45
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the sad and disappointing part- leaving out ethnic group names- it could be any group or family over crowding an apartment. It could be any landlord looking the other way or simply being absentee and looking the other way. But what is saddest is that Code Enforcement could care less about over crowding. THEY LOOK THE OTHER WAY. Now that folks is sad.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 19:44
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

littlemissmarker wrote:
There are rules about the number of people living in x number of bedrooms. But Housing Code Enforcement and the Quality of Life Task force-- look the other way.
No body cares about over crowding. Just bring in the money.

They do enforce it when someone complains. There was on building owner busted near St. Peters College for illegal units not too long ago.

A couple years back, a 2 family home was inspected near me. The fire department responding to a call found something like 30+ people living there and filed a complaint with housing code enforcement. The mailbox for each apartment had an endless list of names on it (lots of Shah and Patel)

Posted on: 2015/2/27 11:58
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

littlemissmarker wrote:
1. Jersey City is NOT A GROWING CITY. It is all Grown UP there are houses in this city that are well over 100 years old. So it ain't growing.

This reminds of that priceless quip from The Princess Bride: "You keep using that word... I don't think it means what you think it means."

Here, straight from the dictionary:

grow
verb \?gr?\
: to become larger : to increase in size, amount, etc.

: to become better or improved in some way : to become more developed, mature, etc.

: to become larger and change from being a child to being an adult as time passes : to pass from childhood to adulthood

Posted on: 2015/2/27 11:11
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
There are rules about the number of people living in x number of bedrooms. But Housing Code Enforcement and the Quality of Life Task force-- look the other way.
No body cares about over crowding. Just bring in the money.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 10:43
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

littlemissmarker wrote:
Granted I have read only a few posts on this subject, however, even those posts lead me to say something.
1. Jersey City is NOT A GROWING CITY. It is all Grown UP there are houses in this city that are well over 100 years old. So it ain't growing.
What it is doing is becoming Gentrified. Tear it down; build it up. Make it new and shiny.
Make my house become a cash cow for me. Increase the value of the Real Estate.
Neighborhood? What's a Neighborhood?
Community ? What's that?
I just want my house to be worth more.
Now that's the truth.

Don't be silly. Of course it's growing. It's adding people, buildings and infrastructure. It's historical peak population was well above what it is today. If anything, it is re-birthing. Communities are live organisms that evolve or die. What they evolve into may not suit you, but it's still an evolution.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 10:40
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Granted I have read only a few posts on this subject, however, even those posts lead me to say something.
What it is doing is becoming Gentrified. Tear it down; build it up. Make it new and shiny.
Make my house become a cash cow for me. Increase the value of the Real Estate.
Neighborhood? What's a Neighborhood?
Community ? What's that?
I just want my house to be worth more.
Now that's the truth.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 10:38
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I struggle with this too. Calling a spade a spade, that's an ugly-ass neighborhood. But they're peoples' homes. So I get what they're saying.

I think you need to stop such elitist remarks for a minute at look at the area on a street view in google maps. put in 121 Magnolia for a proximity which is part of a row of lovely brownsotnesThat is a nice tree lined street. Houses look pretty well kept. Overall that is a nice quiet neighborhood.I don't blame these people one little bit.

And brownstones are not the only "pretty" houses in JC.

Now hold on before you start tossing "elitism" around. JSQ - like almost all of JC - has some beautiful/charming architecture. A lot of houses are pretty run-down, though, and developments like the towers are going to raise values in the entire neighborhood. Over time, that will benefit those homeowners. But change is hard, I know.

Well it sounded elitist because you made a statement that that specific neighborhood is "ass-ugly" which is a rude phrase and not accurate. It smacks of someone who has never been there, let alone looked at the intersection/view of that block of Magnolia on street view in Google maps.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 16:17
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I struggle with this too. Calling a spade a spade, that's an ugly-ass neighborhood. But they're peoples' homes. So I get what they're saying.

I think you need to stop such elitist remarks for a minute at look at the area on a street view in google maps. put in 121 Magnolia for a proximity which is part of a row of lovely brownsotnesThat is a nice tree lined street. Houses look pretty well kept. Overall that is a nice quiet neighborhood.I don't blame these people one little bit.

Now hold on before you start tossing "elitism" around. JSQ - like almost all of JC - has some beautiful/charming architecture. A lot of houses are pretty run-down, though, and developments like the towers are going to raise values in the entire neighborhood. Over time, that will benefit those homeowners. But change is hard, I know.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 16:04
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

i agree magnolia is pretty...i think the city should have done a better job with the transition from this residential street to the towers. maybe a green ring or something

Posted on: 2015/2/26 15:06
Print Top

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017