Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Jersey City Puerto Rican Day Festival and Parade set for this weekend
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I always find these things interesting. A few problem children, such as the case in every event encasing a large swath of people, and because it involves a minority people call for some "leader of the group" to make a statement. White people riot and burn down an area and it's barely a blip with nobody calling for some leader to make a statement...

Posted on: 2015/8/17 17:16
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
BTW, I walked past the area about an hour after it had started and by then there was already trash starting to accumulate on the ground. Very, very disappointing.

Disappointing but not surprising in the slightest.

I think the solution is relatively simple. Force the organizers to put up a large deposit before the event. The deposit should be calculated to cover all expected costs, plus a premium to cover unexpected costs, maybe 25% extra.

Then deduct all the costs from the deposit. The organizers then receive the remainder back.

This way, maybe they have some incentive to have an orderly event, instead of the chaos that inevitably ensues. Also, it's difficult to chase people down for money after the fact.

Posted on: 2015/8/17 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
BTW, I walked past the area about an hour after it had started and by then there was already trash starting to accumulate on the ground. Very, very disappointing.

Posted on: 2015/8/17 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Lots of Police cars heading to the water front.... this can't be good?

We were walking home on montgomery towards the waterfront after dinner and ran head on into this disaster. Saw all those thug-looking guys walking around screaming profanities with loud music boomboxes - a nonstop stream of those guys.

I count seeing at least 3 fights on the way home, there was a 1 big group brawl right outside starbuck, as we were walking away 2 cop cruisers and an emergency response van zoomed past us by the path station onto the sidewalk towards the katyn statue with bunch more cops running towards it.

The ENTIRE (literally) floor in the exchange path area is covered with trash - broken glass bottles, leftover food, cups, etc.. A lot of them got pushed to the wood waterfront sidewalk and i saw bunch being pushed into the hudson river.

Also saw kids destroying those metal signs around the area by hanging off them, a few of them were smoking some kind of joint right by the pier house waterfront.

----

My question is who the hell organized this, and WHY does it have to be in downtown jersey city waterfront? There are very few puerto ricans here.

Wouldnt it make more sense to have a puerto ricans parade where there is a dense population of well....puerto ricans?

I hope this doesnt become an annual thing, all those wasted city resources of police, sanitation, and repairs to the damages, could be better used elsewhere for the actual residents of this city.

Whoever is the city official that approved this disaster needs to be fired.

Unfortunately, this is an annual event and has been for decades. I'm not against such an event, but it must be safe and orderly. And every year we get incidents like this with this particular event. WHY?? How is that PRIDE?? The organizers need to be held accountable!!

You are 100% correct. The organizers should be held accountable and forced to reimburse the city for security, cleaning and any damage associated with the festivities.

And where in the GRAND MARSHALL, Councilman Rivera, on this?? Kind of appalled he allows this to happen, time and again, as a leader in not only the PR community, but for the whole city as an At-large Councilman...

Posted on: 2015/8/17 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

We were walking home on montgomery towards the waterfront after dinner and ran head on into this disaster. Saw all those thug-looking guys walking around screaming profanities with loud music boomboxes - a nonstop stream of those guys.

I count seeing at least 3 fights on the way home, there was a 1 big group brawl right outside starbuck, as we were walking away 2 cop cruisers and an emergency response van zoomed past us by the path station onto the sidewalk towards the katyn statue with bunch more cops running towards it.

The ENTIRE (literally) floor in the exchange path area is covered with trash - broken glass bottles, leftover food, cups, etc.. A lot of them got pushed to the wood waterfront sidewalk and i saw bunch being pushed into the hudson river.

Also saw kids destroying those metal signs around the area by hanging off them, a few of them were smoking some kind of joint right by the pier house waterfront.

----

My question is who the hell organized this, and WHY does it have to be in downtown jersey city waterfront? There are very few puerto ricans here.

Wouldnt it make more sense to have a puerto ricans parade where there is a dense population of well....puerto ricans?

I hope this doesnt become an annual thing, all those wasted city resources of police, sanitation, and repairs to the damages, could be better used elsewhere for the actual residents of this city.

Unfortunately, this is an annual event and has been for decades. I'm not against such an event, but it must be safe and orderly. And every year we get incidents like this with this particular event. WHY?? How is that PRIDE?? The organizers need to be held accountable!!

You are 100% correct. The organizers should be held accountable and forced to reimburse the city for security, cleaning and any damage associated with the festivities.

Posted on: 2015/8/17 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:

Far be it for me to defend this event, but I figured I would reply to some of your comments. Obviously, you are missing some facts. Not sure what you would consider "very few Puerto Ricans" but are you aware that over 12% of the entire population of JC is considered to be of Puerto Rican descent? A fairly large portion of that group actually lives in DTJC, btw.

Quote:

How long have you lived in JC?? The Puerto Rican Day Parade (and, related festivities) is an annual event. And, it has been for at least several decades. The festivities were moved to the waterfront area to try and contain the mess (it used to happen right in DT, over by City Hall) and to alleviate the complaints that would happen from the DTJC residents.

Quote:

You will need to fire the mayor, the council, and all the heads of agencies involved in the planning and approval of this event.

Posted on: 2015/8/17 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

I think it was Howard Stern, after a particular egregious PR Pride event, described it as a "riot with balloons".

Posted on: 2015/8/17 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

----

Posted on: 2015/8/17 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

----

Will the parade and festival organizers be billed for any of this shit (not that it can be collected anyway) or are we the taxpayers on the hook for this wonderful "celebration of cultural diversity" ?

Posted on: 2015/8/17 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

----

Posted on: 2015/8/17 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/17 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/16 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
You guys are so grumpy all the time.

The Puerto Ricans are probably one of the Top 5 partying cultures of all time. Get into it, baby!

True. Also, probably partly the reason why the economy is in the toilet down in the island. I know... I grew up there.

Posted on: 2015/8/15 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
You guys are so grumpy all the time.

The Puerto Ricans are probably one of the Top 5 partying cultures of all time. Get into it, baby!

Posted on: 2015/8/15 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
We just take our bike ride south to Port Liberte rather than north to avoid the crowds that will be clogging the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway.

Posted on: 2015/8/15 16:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Hah, I personally can't wait -- my Irish ass will be there with bells on. And I can salsa with the best of 'em. Bring it on!

Posted on: 2015/8/15 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
The festival will take place at Exchange Place in Jersey City on Saturday and end the following day at 9 p.m.

I'm glad I don't live in the Exchange Place area.

Posted on: 2015/8/15 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Jersey City Puerto Rican Day Festival and Parade set for this weekend

By Nicholas Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
August 12, 2015 at  3:21 PM

The 55th annual Puerto Rican Day Festival and Parade are set to commence this weekend, with attractions for people of all ages looking to show their Boricua pride. 

The festival will take place at Exchange Place in Jersey City on Saturday and end the following day at 9 p.m.

The parade, which will set out from the Lincoln monument at Belmont Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard at noon on Sunday, will travel north on Kennedy to Montgomery Street, before heading east on Montgomery and concluding at City Hall.

Floats, singers, salsa music, vendors, food and Puerto Rican dances, called "plenas," will provide family-friendly fun and enjoyment at both weekend events.

Councilman-at-Large Daniel Rivera will serve as this year's grand marshal, while the honorary grand marshal is Luis "Mosquito" Gonzales, who is honored for his past service as president of the Puerto Rican Day Festival and Parade organizing committee, as well as his service to the community.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _parade_set_for_this.html

why such a loooong route... why not short parade from grove street to exchange place and then have a bash on the waterfront

Posted on: 2015/8/15 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dubenezic wrote:
Too bad we don't deport illegals anymore. Fish in a barrel.

Yvonne... Is that you?

I'm the last person to defend the shenanigans that surround this event, but you're showing your ignorance by making that comment. Puerto Ricans are US citizens by birth, so they are not illegals, and they certainly can't be deported.

Posted on: 2015/8/15 11:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/30 23:23
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Too bad we don't deport illegals anymore. Fish in a barrel.

Posted on: 2015/8/15 6:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, like it will really end Sunday at 9PM -- Hell, it will just start to get warmed up.
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
Thanks for the warning, I think I'll move out of town for the weekend.

Can you take me with you.

Posted on: 2015/8/15 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the warning, I think I'll move out of town for the weekend.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

By Nicholas Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
August 12, 2015 at  3:21 PM

The 55th annual Puerto Rican Day Festival and Parade are set to commence this weekend, with attractions for people of all ages looking to show their Boricua pride. 

The parade, which will set out from the Lincoln monument at Belmont Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard at noon on Sunday, will travel north on Kennedy to Montgomery Street, before heading east on Montgomery and concluding at City Hall.

Floats, singers, salsa music, vendors, food and Puerto Rican dances, called "plenas," will provide family-friendly fun and enjoyment at both weekend events.

Councilman-at-Large Daniel Rivera will serve as this year's grand marshal, while the honorary grand marshal is Luis "Mosquito" Gonzales, who is honored for his past service as president of the Puerto Rican Day Festival and Parade organizing committee, as well as his service to the community.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _parade_set_for_this.html

Posted on: 2015/8/13 6:59

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017