Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 32 33 34 (35) 36 37 38 ... 43 »

Re: N.J. looking into whether to FORCE Jersey City reval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The first thing a developer does when the abatement has expired, he goes to tax court, file an appeal based on the fact they are at 100% and other properties are not.

You claim to have appealed numerous times, yet what you just said is contrary to the 1st rule of tax court, that it doesn't matter what your neighbors are paying. Those guys you filmed in Lincoln Park said so too. Can you cite an instance of this happening? Lots of people paying more than their neighbors would love to know.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
That may be true of rental buildings but not condos that would now be owned by indivuals. My point was that it is a bad system that can be fixed. If the reval does happen and we keep the same system we will be in the same boat in another 20 yrs. The people who have bought new condos especially downtown are picking up a disproportionate amount of the tax bill. Someone living in a brownstone on a 25x100 lot that hasn't been assessed since 1988 is paying a fraction of what a new condo owner is and consuming more of the city's resources

Posted on: 2015/11/18 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The impending, and inevitable, tax revaluation is the main reason why savvy sellers are sitting out the DTJC market. I predict a flush of FOR SALE properties in the next year or two by smart sellers looking to get out before they get assessed the proper tax levy. Those who fail to prepare, or sell, will find themselves in a huge bind. I wonder if smart builders will factor this into the pricing of their abated properties.

Did you mean savvy buyers in your first sentence? Because then I'd agree.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
The impending, and inevitable, tax revaluation is the main reason why savvy sellers are sitting out the DTJC market. I predict a flush of FOR SALE properties in the next year or two by smart sellers looking to get out before they get assessed the proper tax levy. Those who fail to prepare, or sell, will find themselves in a huge bind. I wonder if smart builders will factor this into the pricing of their abated properties.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The first thing a developer does when the abatement has expired, he goes to tax court, file an appeal based on the fact they are at 100% and other properties are not. So then JC floats bonds to pay their winning tax appeals. The small homeowner is being hurt with the winning tax appeals by developers and their tax abatements.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Of course this is overdue. There are huge inaccuracies as far as assessed value goes. Everyone cries when a new building gets a tax abatement but why should one building be taxed at its 2015 value and another its 1998 value? Makes no sense. The whole system was set up to be manipulated. Why either doesn't the assed value change with each sale ( like it does on waterfront properties) or follow a housing index to raise property values as opposed to just increasing the tax rate. The suburbs have figured this out why can't jersey city. Oh wait I forgot who runs jersey city.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
When the reval does happen, there will be great moans and cries of despair from downtown resident in non-abated properties.

One thing I found out going through my appeal some years back was there are a hell of a lot of under-assessed properties downtown.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting, the court case was about to begin Nov. 30th.
http://www.senatenj.com/index.php/doh ... ellen-and-elizabeth/24379

Posted on: 2015/11/18 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am all for it, a lot of you mofo's are not paying your fair share. I pay 6k a year, I know a few that are paying less than than that down on the waterfront in PH.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
RIP the good times.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
It was inevitable.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 21:39

N.J. looking into whether to FORCE Jersey City reval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

State treasury officials today announced they will conduct an investigation into whether to order Jersey City to perform a citywide property revaluation.

Because Jersey City hasn't performed a reval in 27 years, its total true value exceeds its assessed value by about $15.6 billion, a ratio of 24.6 percent, according to treasury officials, who announced the move in a press release today.

More

Posted on: 2015/11/18 21:35

Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just for the record, JC has spend $128,000 on legal fees in court to fight the reval. I am sure that figure will increase.

Posted on: 2015/8/3 19:01

Re: Jersey City reval?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I guess, I would like to believe that the administration would have shown some courage, done the right thing by the city and gone thru with the reval .... getting our house in order.

they could have blamed the reval on the prior administration (like they did everything else, sometimes rightly, sometimes not.) pulled together some strong initiatives, managed the city well and get re-elected in 2017.

Instead everything is for sale, nothing is thought thru, instead of righting the ship, its all being spent.

Not much has changed here, has it?

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I asked the county the county tax assessor the same thing. He said JC officials asked the hudson county board of taxation not to interfere. The city plans on going to court.

The city never planned on going to court. That was a one-day headline that bought time. Fulop is terrified of the reval and views it as political suicide. The comment about the Healy poison pill is apt - I think Jerry knew deep down his days were numbered and Fulop had gotten so deeply under his skin that it was his (Jerry's) way of paying him back, knowing Fulop would tuck tail and run before ever going through with it. I'm sure if more attention is given to this issue, city hall will come up with a new "strategy", but I'll also bet anyone willing that there will be no reval (other than court or state-mandated) prior to November 2017.

Posted on: 2015/8/3 15:54

Re: Jersey City reval?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I asked the county the county tax assessor the same thing. He said JC officials asked the hudson county board of taxation not to interfere. The city plans on going to court.

The city never planned on going to court. That was a one-day headline that bought time. Fulop is terrified of the reval and views it as political suicide. The comment about the Healy poison pill is apt - I think Jerry knew deep down his days were numbered and Fulop had gotten so deeply under his skin that it was his (Jerry's) way of paying him back, knowing Fulop would tuck tail and run before ever going through with it. I'm sure if more attention is given to this issue, city hall will come up with a new "strategy", but I'll also bet anyone willing that there will be no reval (other than court or state-mandated) prior to November 2017.

Posted on: 2015/8/2 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop has imposed new fines for doing business in JC. The city collects a fee for having a vacant lot, even though the property owners are still paying taxes on the vacant lot, Fulop increased various department fees and the city tried to put an extra fee on knocking down buildings but that did go through.

Posted on: 2015/8/2 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I guess that in the end, Fulop turned out to be just your average politician: he made tons of promises during his campaign, kept some of them, but has mostly kowtowed to his power base and the constituency that elected him mayor.

Suspending the reval is unconscionable given the disparity of tax burdens in the city, but doing so is a "gift" to his Ward E power base. The abatements downtown are OBVIOUSLY no longer needed, and it was promised that long term abatements were going to target areas in need of development and which could use the added incentives (Lafayette, JSQ, Greenville, etc.) and yet we continue to hear about sweetheart deals in DTJC. The Buildings Department is still a hindrance to many, particularly for new business ventures. Although, my understanding is that only the state can clean house there, so maybe Fulop gets a pass on that one.

Posted on: 2015/8/2 15:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/20 13:44
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I have to agree that giving 20+ year abatements to downtown developers is leaving a bad taste in my mouth about Fulop. There's more than enough inertia in that real estate market to sustain development without corporate welfare. And I'm frankly surprised when people defend this level of nepotism.

Posted on: 2015/8/2 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And I am telling you Newport, Dixon Mills, Society Hills and even Colgate Redevelopment never asked for tax abatements. It was the mayors doing deals in the 1980s that offered tax abatements.

Posted on: 2015/8/1 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, if Jersey City would see the same pace of development without offering abatements, I would agree with you. However, I honestly and truly believe that a lot of these developments would not have been built had it not been for the abatements. So I reject the statement that taxes would be lower without the abatements. Does anyone have independent unbiased studies on the topic that they can share?

I still hope the reveal goes through so Ward E homeowners with ridiculously low assessments begin paying their fair share in taxes.

Posted on: 2015/8/1 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
jtjcview, you do not pay the taxes for anyone except yourself. Anyone has the right to complain about increased spending especially when JC gives a sweetheart deal for 30 years to a developer. These deals bring in school children regardless of the administration says.

But the reval is a zero-sum game. Is it not?

There will be winners (most of the residents of the city, excluding property owners in Ward E) and losers (most of the property owners in Ward E). Please correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm in the Heights and if my property taxes go down then why would I be mad at 30 year tax abatement given to a developer, risking their capital to revitalize Journal Square, an area of the city that desperately needs the investment dollars!!

The reason you should be mad by someone receiving a 30 year tax abatement, it makes your tax rate higher. Since it is a contract, and not a ratable, the hudson county tax assessor does not add that 30 year abated property to the final list to determine the tax rate. As I said earlier, Fulop is correcct in his email that the ratable base increase. But, it is nothing he personally did to make the ratable base increase. Some abatements expired and the board of taxation added those expired abatements to the ratable base which stabilize the tax base. And if you are a homeowner, a 30 year tax abatement is worth more than a similar home without a 30 year tax abatment. It is not the job of government to make one property more valuable than another property.

Posted on: 2015/8/1 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
jtjcview, you do not pay the taxes for anyone except yourself. Anyone has the right to complain about increased spending especially when JC gives a sweetheart deal for 30 years to a developer. These deals bring in school children regardless of the administration says.

There will be winners (most of the residents of the city, excluding property owners in Ward E) and losers (most of the property owners in Ward E). Please correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm in the Heights and if my property taxes go down then why would I be mad at 30 year tax abatement given to a developer, risking their capital to revitalize Journal Square, an area of the city that desperately needs the investment dollars!!

I don't think anyone (reasonable) gets upset at JSQ abatements. The issue is when abatements are issued in booming parts of downtown, such as the proposed 20 or 30 year abatement to the Shoprite developer.

Yvonne gets upset... Oh, missed the reasonable part. Got ya.

I too am not a fan of tax abatements downtown, especially for 20+ years, and I could of swore candidate Steve Fulop promised he would end the practice if elected Mayor. I'm disappointed as much as you that it's still occurring, and is an apparent violation of a campaign promise. I wish there was a change in state law to better regulate the abatement process, because as of right now, the city is operating within its legal authority to grant 30-year abatement in the booming part of town. The State of New Jersey needs to better regulate the use of abatements by municipalities, and make take the political element out of it too.

Posted on: 2015/8/1 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

I don't think anyone (reasonable) gets upset at JSQ abatements. The issue is when abatements are issued in booming parts of downtown, such as the proposed 20 or 30 year abatement to the Shoprite developer.

Posted on: 2015/8/1 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/8/1 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/31 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Eventually, the state will order a reval, now it will be Fulop's problem. Most people would have allow the reval to go through and blame it on the previous administration but again, that one third that goes up will be furious with 30 years tax abatements.

And any of that 1/3 that complained would be idiots. Even if we collected fully on abated properties, no JC homeowner would see a single cent in reduced taxes - the money would end up back in county or state - and investment in JC would be killed. Genius from an ex-kindergarden teacher who got butthurt by the last reval.

Posted on: 2015/7/31 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Eventually, the state will order a reval, now it will be Fulop's problem. Most people would have allow the reval to go through and blame it on the previous administration but again, that one third that goes up will be furious with 30 years tax abatements.

Posted on: 2015/7/31 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If your taxes goes up based on a reval and then you see the mayor/city council protect a developer with a tax abatement, you will see citizens flood city hall. The mayor does not want this, after all, he wants a positive image for Trenton. During a reval, one third will go up, one third will go down and one third will remain the same. It is the one third that goes up will give him a problem.

The reval timing was a parting gift from Healy. A poison pill or unexploded grenade if you like. Not surprised Fulop doesn't want to touch it yet.

Posted on: 2015/7/31 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If your taxes goes up based on a reval and then you see the mayor/city council protect a developer with a tax abatement, you will see citizens flood city hall. The mayor does not want this, after all, he wants a positive image for Trenton. During a reval, one third will go up, one third will go down and one third will remain the same. It is the one third that goes up will give him a problem.

Posted on: 2015/7/31 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand. How would a reval affect the amount of flak Fulop receives when he gives out 30 year tax abatements? I was following with you all the way until your last sentence. He seems to be getting plenty of flak already for 30 year tax abatements, especially downtown. I think the the flak on abatement a would have been the same regardless of reval. And I hope state laws are changed to limit abatements to 15 years or less.

Posted on: 2015/7/31 19:33

« 1 ... 32 33 34 (35) 36 37 38 ... 43 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017