Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Any interest in an informal co-working space in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Oprahsbunion wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Noticed a work space for rent sign on the ex catholic school @ 7th & Brunswick. As a 30+ yr work at home freelancer, I sympathize with the desire to get out.

There's a woman in there that can help you get it out.

http://www.doodyfreegirl.com

Resized Image

Interesting. In this weather I tend to dehydrate and need some help in that dept.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 15:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/14 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Noticed a work space for rent sign on the ex catholic school @ 7th & Brunswick. As a 30+ yr work at home freelancer, I sympathize with the desire to get out.

There's a woman in there that can help you get it out.

http://www.doodyfreegirl.com

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/28 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

You can 'come out' on JC List, nobody gonna think any less of you.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2015/7/28 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
The OP has a great concept and I was involved with space like that decades ago. It was pretty informal, with casual and fun but professional people and it was cheap.

You don't need storefront space, nor do you really want it or want to pay extra for it. IndieGrove is almost double the price point the OP had in mind and the Silvermans are never cheap. Needing to have everyone involved on the lease for insurance purposes gets tricky -- are you going to have to write a new lease every time someone moves in or out?

My suggestion? Find a group of about 6 interested people first and collectively find the space second. I wish you good luck on setting this up-

THIS. I think a storefront is actually a negative/minus when it comes to a shared space for professionals who want an intimate, informal space in which to collaborate and foster the exchange and development of ideas, solutions, etc.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
The OP has a great concept and I was involved with space like that decades ago. It was pretty informal, with casual and fun but professional people and it was cheap.

You don't need storefront space, nor do you really want it or want to pay extra for it. IndieGrove is almost double the price point the OP had in mind and the Silvermans are never cheap. Needing to have everyone involved on the lease for insurance purposes gets tricky -- are you going to have to write a new lease every time someone moves in or out?

My suggestion? Find a group of about 6 interested people first and collectively find the space second. I wish you good luck on setting this up-

Posted on: 2015/7/27 22:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 19:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

new2jc wrote:
Please contact us if anyone wants to do something like this in a $1495 per month Storefront Downtown right on Newark Ave, but keep in mind that everyone involved will need to be on the lease for insurance reasons.
(click link below to see listing)

http://jclist.com/modules/classifieds ... x.php?pa=viewads&lid=3805

Hopefully you've checked the zoning. I don't think offices are permitted on the ground floor on the south side of the street.

We have talked to zoning, and in any event this is on the NORTH Side of Newark Ave and has history of such use and has many other offices as neighbors.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 20:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
I think the new Silverman building on Grove is going to have co-working spaces. Might want to inquire.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

new2jc wrote:
Please contact us if anyone wants to do something like this in a $1495 per month Storefront Downtown right on Newark Ave, but keep in mind that everyone involved will need to be on the lease for insurance reasons.

Hopefully you've checked the zoning. I don't think offices are permitted on the ground floor on the south side of the street.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 20:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

==================================
REDUCED $1495 STOREFRONT NEXT TO UNION REPUBLIC

DOWNTOWN Jersey City -- WHOLE STOREFRONT / OFFICE -- ONLY $1495 a month - NO Broker Fees

Great boutique retail space in heart of Downtown. About 15' frontage on Newark Ave surrounded by the hippest places in JC and great foot traffic! Gallery Next Door -- Office, Store or Gallery Space -- Will not last!

Right next to Union Republic -- see their website --
Also right next to Raven Gallery -- see their website --
New Luxury Condo buildings next door and all around!

646 . 789 . 5990

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/27 20:25

Edited by new2jc on 2015/7/27 20:52:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Got it. IndieGrove does have plans cheaper than that (depends on frequency of use) but yes, I expect that they are running a business and not a non-profit.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 13:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/17 18:32
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad to hear there are people interested, I am going to pursue this further. Those who are interested, can you PM me your email addresses? I will reach out as I gather more information.

@jc_dweller, Yes, I am aware of IndieGrove. Both IndieGrove and the future Charles & Co co-working spaces are in the $350-500 price range, and are profit generating businesses. I am aiming to create a space that is less expensive/structured and more focused on the community, I'm not trying to make a profit or business from the idea.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
there's already one at 121 Newark - why reinvent the wheel? http://indiegrovejc.com/

Posted on: 2015/7/27 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HippieShowgirl wrote:
Yep, I've worked at home for 22 years in the court reporting field, and may (finally) be interested in having some space out of the house, if it's a peaceful work retreat, where I can get some peace and quiet away from the spouse and college-graduate kid about to move home and the needy dogs ... and give me an excuse for a little human interaction and maybe to wear something other than sweats and PJs all day. :)

I'm downtown, too, and would be interested in space close to home, walking distance, closer to Harismus Cove/the Village than the waterfront.

"Working at home" oftentimes means family and friends think your schedule is 100 percent flexible. But it's not.

And after the aforementioned 22 years of working in the house, I'm finally convinced they will NEVER get it.

Would really consider something in that price range just to have a place to bounce too when it gets chaotic here. And to dress in something that goes with my high heels.

Funny post, HippieShowgirl.

As for the OP, I like the idea. I do work from home at least once a week, sometimes as often as three times per week. It varies, and I am usually OK with staying in and being solo, but I can see the usefulness of a shared space as a way to have some human interactions and other like-minded individuals off whom I could bounce ideas when I am stuck working out some code or trying to come up with an elegant solution to a development problem.

If I may throw in another suggestion, consider some of the spaces around the PAD. I believe there are some empty spaces in the building next to 150 Bay Street (where Warehouse Cafe is located) and they seem to have the kind of vibe you would want: young professionals and quirky outfits, in an old but overhauled building. Currently, there is an architects office there, along with other small spaces, and that's also where the Eighty magazine crew sets up. I don't have a contact there, but could swing by and find out. Personally, I would rather stay away from a heavily trafficked area (such as Newark Ave) as I wouldnt want the distraction of people wandering in asking for directions, or whatever. I think that ideally, the space should be centrally located, but "hidden enough" so it is only attracting those going there. :)

Posted on: 2015/7/27 12:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Yep, I've worked at home for 22 years in the court reporting field, and may (finally) be interested in having some space out of the house, if it's a peaceful work retreat, where I can get some peace and quiet away from the spouse and college-graduate kid about to move home and the needy dogs ... and give me an excuse for a little human interaction and maybe to wear something other than sweats and PJs all day. :)

I'm downtown, too, and would be interested in space close to home, walking distance, closer to Harismus Cove/the Village than the waterfront.

"Working at home" oftentimes means family and friends think your schedule is 100 percent flexible. But it's not.

And after the aforementioned 22 years of working in the house, I'm finally convinced they will NEVER get it.

Would really consider something in that price range just to have a place to bounce too when it gets chaotic here. And to dress in something that goes with my high heels.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 11:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you get 6 to 8 people together, then please check out my listing.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 1:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/23 18:40
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I'd be interested. I may not fit the profile exactly - I work at home ~2-3 days a week and work on programming side projects on free time. A simple, flexible space outside of my apt for that at a reasonable price would be ideal. As far as where, in or around downtown - thinking off the top of my head about those industrial buildings north of Hamilton Park or more into the Heights off 139.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 23:56

Any interest in an informal co-working space in JC?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/17 18:32
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a web developer and am tired of working from home. I?ve looked at the co-working options in Jersey City and just don?t think $350-500/m for a spot is reasonable. And the spaces are a bit too formal/structured for my tastes.

I used to be a member at a space on the Lower East Side that was really informal. Essentially a raw space with reliable internet and quality people. We held events, classes and networking events, happy hours, show and tells, etc. It was more a communal work space than the typical co-working space model. We had all types of member (candle makers, artists, hardware tinkerers, etc) not just the typical ?laptop creatives?. The environment fostered a community atmosphere.

Based on rough numbers and cost estimates I think this could be a reality at the $200-250/m price point (in the DTJC area).

I?m wondering if anyone would be interested in this type of space in Jersey City. If so, where? I live downtown but am open to other areas (Journal Square, The Heights, etc). If there?s decent interest I?m willing to lease a space and bring it to life.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 21:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017