Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Urgent Question. Emergency repairs on a Sunday

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/18 19:34
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Wayne Hulse low cost, best quality, available 24 hours a day, on time, no price increases and fast. 201 850 3776 Whulse913@gmail.com

Posted on: 2015/9/25 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
We have permits. Just not a special permit to allow to work on weekends.

Per the noise ordinance.. you need one.

With the threat of thunderstorms having faded this afternoon.. it became a non-issue.

Notwithstanding existing regulations for weekend work and/or noise, I think it is reprehensible that a neighbor would stand on the way of another that is trying to protect/save his property. I can't imagine telling a neighbor "no, you can't have your roofer finish his work so you don't get flooded by the expected rains because it is a weekend and I need my peace and quiet". It seems like such a douche thing to do. Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

I couldn't agree more with this. The concept of preventing a neighbor from repairing a building is so mind boggling to me.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 15:36
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Just want to add:

I have been in JC since 1997. Through the near past two decades, I found property owners very cooperative in accommodating improvements and tolerating the temporary mess / noise of trying to renovate 100+ year old housing stock.

Generally the a-hole neighbor is something that I experienced as a kid in suburbia. Or worse.. dealing with a HOA. My poor brother can't get his roof replaced due to the HOA mandating a shingle weight his roof cannot support. So I count my blessings that I am not in his situation. While he fights the HOA, his roof is leaking away.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Notwithstanding existing regulations for weekend work and/or noise, I think it is reprehensible that a neighbor would stand on the way

The owner of the property (father & son) next to mine are a special kind of douches (the father is much worse than the son). My building is right on his property line which means I need his cooperation to do repair work... which I rarely get.

It's not just me.. he gives my tenants a hard time. Example: My one tenant rents the driveway. His car is non-drivable so this tenant allowed another one of my tenants to park in front of the driveway. I know.. technically illegal in Jersey City, but the law is not enforced and the act doesn't harm anyone.

El-Douche' (the father) purposely positioned his car (his driveway is next to mine) so tenant #2 was blocked from pulling his car out. El-Douche' refused to move his vehicle and told my tenant: "I don't want to get into the neighbor thing with you. Don't ever park your car there again."

He also locked out a contractor repairing my fire-escape.. in the middle of work.. AFTER the son gave permission for them to have access to get to the rear of my building.

At some point, I have to do additional re-pointing work. I suspect I will have to take them to court in order to get access.

There is something about everyone who owns this property. The previous owners were also head-cases. The only time I had no issues is when the property was vacant for about two years.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

With the threat of thunderstorms having faded this afternoon.. it became a non-issue.

Notwithstanding existing regulations for weekend work and/or noise, I think it is reprehensible that a neighbor would stand on the way of another that is trying to protect/save his property. I can't imagine telling a neighbor "no, you can't have your roofer finish his work so you don't get flooded by the expected rains because it is a weekend and I need my peace and quiet". It seems like such a douche thing to do. Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Glad the weather cooperated for you today, even if your neighbor wouldn't. And thanks for sharing the permit info in case someone else needs it.

Posted on: 2015/7/19 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/19 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Bamb00zle wrote:

The Noise control Ordinance is #222. Go check it on Municode. I don't recall that it specifically addresses "emergency" construction situations. It does have something on "ordinary" construction hours. I suppose your neighbors might call the PD, and then you'd need to convince the cop of the "emergency" nature of the work.

Unfortunately, you have to pull a special permit that has to be renewed every three days.. however the building dept. is closed now. It's sort of a Catch 22. Updated forecast is for no thunderstorms, so we decided not to sweat it.

In the future, any work like this when the weather is not cooperative, I'll have the contractor pull a weekend work permit just in case its needed. It's only an extra $50.

MDM, I may have misunderstood. I thought you were asking about a permit to do work on a weekend, outside of the normal hours. So that's was why I thought Jersey City Noise Ordinance #222 might help.

On the other hand, if it's a construction permit you're asking about see the Code:
http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/ ... /pdf_regs/njac_5_23_2.pdf

For ?emergency? work, you are allowed to start, as long as you apply for a construction permit within the next 72 hours. See NJAC 5:23-2.14 (a) and (b)3., read together.

For ?ordinary building maintenance? you generally don't need a construction permit. See NJAC 5:23-2.7., where (c)1.ix. specifically refers to roofs, and also 5:23-14 (b)1.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2015/7/19 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bamb00zle wrote:

The Noise control Ordinance is #222. Go check it on Municode. I don't recall that it specifically addresses "emergency" construction situations. It does have something on "ordinary" construction hours. I suppose your neighbors might call the PD, and then you'd need to convince the cop of the "emergency" nature of the work.

Unfortunately, you have to pull a special permit that has to be renewed every three days.. however the building dept. is closed now. It's sort of a Catch 22. Updated forecast is for no thunderstorms, so we decided not to sweat it.

In the future, any work like this when the weather is not cooperative, I'll have the contractor pull a weekend work permit just in case its needed. It's only an extra $50.

Posted on: 2015/7/19 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I have a roofer. The issue is a neighbor giving us problems. Hidden damage was uncovered when 120 years worth of roofing was pulled off. The situation has made it hard to blue tarp the roof with the expectation of it keeping the building from flooding during a thunderstorm.

We may get thunderstorm tonight or tomorrow. The forecast keeps changing.

Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Is anyone here familiar with the rules / regs that allow for an emergency construction work (in this case a roof repair) on a Sunday?

I have an issue where I need to get a roof partially finished before thunderstorms come back tomorrow. Saturday's storms sort of put the work behind schedule.

I can't imagine anyone will gig you for trying to save your property. Not clear from your post if you are doing this yourself or a roofer is. The roofer knows the rules. However, a bigger concern is the temperature. I had to have roof work delayed one summer because the roofer's insurance cancelled out when it was more than 80 degrees. If you are doing the work be careful about the heat up there too. Good luck

Posted on: 2015/7/19 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have a roofer. The issue is a neighbor giving us problems. Hidden damage was uncovered when 120 years worth of roofing was pulled off. The situation has made it hard to blue tarp the roof with the expectation of it keeping the building from flooding during a thunderstorm.

We may get thunderstorm tonight or tomorrow. The forecast keeps changing.

Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Is anyone here familiar with the rules / regs that allow for an emergency construction work (in this case a roof repair) on a Sunday?

I have an issue where I need to get a roof partially finished before thunderstorms come back tomorrow. Saturday's storms sort of put the work behind schedule.

I can't imagine anyone will gig you for trying to save your property. Not clear from your post if you are doing this yourself or a roofer is. The roofer knows the rules. However, a bigger concern is the temperature. I had to have roof work delayed one summer because the roofer's insurance cancelled out when it was more than 80 degrees. If you are doing the work be careful about the heat up there too. Good luck

Posted on: 2015/7/19 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/19 13:27

Urgent Question. Emergency repairs on a Sunday
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/19 13:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017