Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Greece, Puerto Rico and Democrats
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
And the same goes for Puerto Rico. When your economy is poor and each person owes as much debt as they generate in GDP, the debt is unsustainable without a significant re-structuring. It's just math.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
I'm not a Greek advocate, but Tspiras did submit a proposal with austerity.

I?m an advocate for any nation that?s home to so many unemployed, disenfranchised young adult males because unemployed, disenfranchised young adult males are the world?s most dangerous creatures.

Me too, but it's undeniable that the Greek government has mismanaged their finances for decades. Until that changes, Greece is always going to be in tough shape.

That being said, I do support a debt re-structuring because they simply cannot make the payments as-is.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

I?m an advocate for any nation that?s home to so many unemployed, disenfranchised young adult males because unemployed, disenfranchised young adult males are the world?s most dangerous creatures.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
now the greeks are calling for solidarity, compromise, sympathy.. roflmfao. didn't they reject austerity? did tsipas walk out of negotiations?

No, that's not what happened. You should pay more attention to the situation.

Anyways, back to the original point, I'm not the only one who says Greece's debt is unsustainable. The IMF said the same. And the IMF is notorious for giving our bad loans to countries who can pay it back - so if even they think Greece's debt is too much to pay back, what does that say?

Posted on: 2015/7/15 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
now the greeks are calling for solidarity, compromise, sympathy.. roflmfao. didn't they reject austerity? did tsipas walk out of negotiations?

Posted on: 2015/7/13 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
no. greece is gonna face reality. they will be forced to institute reforms that they had promised 5 years ago....where is tsipras now?

Posted on: 2015/7/12 11:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Resized Image
greece was told today that it must do more...much more. merkel runs a tight ship![/quote]

Can't get blood from a stone

Posted on: 2015/7/12 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
If you are replying to ^ post, please hit reply instead of quote.

Seems like we are setting the record for most quote boxes.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Walters wrote:
Chapter 9 will allow for a organized debt restructuring . Puerto Rico as their Governor has stated cannot pay its debts . An organized debt restructure initially for some of their public corporations such as PREPA will allow PR to modernize their electrical systems . Otherwise they will just stop paying .
prepa has been mismanged for years. puerto rico should give prepa to the bondholders or sell it to a private entity that can better manage prepa.

puerto rico can repay its debts.....the fact is that the governor is taking the easy, politically expedient way out. six months ago, padilla said that pr could repay, and then it hired some judge who obviously is going to claim that puerto rico can not pay; the governor is the paymaster.

puerto rico needs some type of oversight to cut the fat and raise revenue, and if that is insufficient then maybe puerto rico might deserve some type of haircut.

interesting article from reuters, stating that puerto rico is only capturing 56% of its taxes due.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02 ... ax-evaders_n_4818197.html

PR's debt per capita is 16K per capita. GBP per capital was 16K in 2010 (and this includes government spending). What makes you think this can be paid back?

nah...puerto rico's debt can be paid back. stop the tax evasion, sell prepa, cut pensions benefit (fyi, interest payments to bondholders are EXPLICITLY given preference over pension payments, education payments in the bond indentures)

why doesn't puerto rico sell prepa or give it to the bondholders if it can't pay? damn, i hate that i'm sounding like a republican! or maybe rahm emanuel! i am hopeful that congress will not allow chapter 9 for puerto rico...san juan and pr's other ugly cities, perhaps, but not for the commonwealth.

Show your math
pr's debt does not need to be paid all at once. if puerto rico better managed its finances, reduced MASSIVE tax evasion and reduced headcount, closed schools, etc, then its debts could be paid back. puerto rico is no detroit!

http://www.hjsims.com/news-views/inve ... nd-payments/#.VZ1bVvnF964

Show your math
hey, why don't you show your math! simply stating that pr has $16,000 in debt per head does not mean that PR's debt is unpayable. and why should debtholders be resposnible for PR's lack of responsibility!

pr is almost like greece - wanting another debt haircut (#3) before they institute reforms. It should reform first and then get any debt haircut that are needed

If the debt was sustainable/payable, then PR bonds wouldn't have junk status.

Resized Image
greece was told today that it must do more...much more. merkel runs a tight ship!

Posted on: 2015/7/12 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Walters wrote:
Chapter 9 will allow for a organized debt restructuring . Puerto Rico as their Governor has stated cannot pay its debts . An organized debt restructure initially for some of their public corporations such as PREPA will allow PR to modernize their electrical systems . Otherwise they will just stop paying .
prepa has been mismanged for years. puerto rico should give prepa to the bondholders or sell it to a private entity that can better manage prepa.

puerto rico can repay its debts.....the fact is that the governor is taking the easy, politically expedient way out. six months ago, padilla said that pr could repay, and then it hired some judge who obviously is going to claim that puerto rico can not pay; the governor is the paymaster.

puerto rico needs some type of oversight to cut the fat and raise revenue, and if that is insufficient then maybe puerto rico might deserve some type of haircut.

interesting article from reuters, stating that puerto rico is only capturing 56% of its taxes due.

PR's debt per capita is 16K per capita. GBP per capital was 16K in 2010 (and this includes government spending). What makes you think this can be paid back?

nah...puerto rico's debt can be paid back. stop the tax evasion, sell prepa, cut pensions benefit (fyi, interest payments to bondholders are EXPLICITLY given preference over pension payments, education payments in the bond indentures)

why doesn't puerto rico sell prepa or give it to the bondholders if it can't pay? damn, i hate that i'm sounding like a republican! or maybe rahm emanuel! i am hopeful that congress will not allow chapter 9 for puerto rico...san juan and pr's other ugly cities, perhaps, but not for the commonwealth.

Show your math
pr's debt does not need to be paid all at once. if puerto rico better managed its finances, reduced MASSIVE tax evasion and reduced headcount, closed schools, etc, then its debts could be paid back. puerto rico is no detroit!

Show your math
hey, why don't you show your math! simply stating that pr has $16,000 in debt per head does not mean that PR's debt is unpayable. and why should debtholders be resposnible for PR's lack of responsibility!

pr is almost like greece - wanting another debt haircut (#3) before they institute reforms. It should reform first and then get any debt haircut that are needed

If the debt was sustainable/payable, then PR bonds wouldn't have junk status.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/12 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
the vat tax should help improve tax collections

Should and Will are words with vastly different definitions. If you've ever lived somewhere with a flat tax or very high sales tax, you'll know that it doesn't actually work very well.

If you ever lived somewhere with a VAT tax, you would know that its regularly collected and funds services like public healthcare.

Not that you probably bothered to read up on what VAT tax is or how it works or why it works before maligning it, but VATs are very difficult to cheat, and when there are tax cheats, its a very small portion of the tax. Because Value Added Tax is added incrementally along the supply chain, no single tax cheat can deprive the state of a large amount of revenue. Also, because each collected tax is very small, the impact of a single tax cheat along the supply chain is very limited and there is much less of a competitive advantage to cheating the system.

I lived in St. Kitts. It isn't that hard to cheat...
and therein lie the problem with greece, puerto rico, the carribean, africa, india, pakistan and a host of other countries...rampant cheating

Posted on: 2015/7/10 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Meanwhile, Puerto Rico is demonstrating why the flat taxers are wrong. Of course, this goes without saying since St. Kitts and Nevis prove flat taxers wrong as well as every single other place place on the planet that has tried to implement the sales tax only policy.

Such facts should remove just about every Republican from being considered for president, yet...

What are you talking about!? Puerto Rico does not solely rely on sales tax.

They don't. However, they pretty much went from a 3% rate to an 13% rate. The dramatic rate increase flushed products into the black market and overall expected increase in tax revenue did not quite pan out.

That is what happens when people are generally overtaxed, especially in places where people are happy to bypass the government and not exactly law and order types. I wouldn't read too much into this with respect to how a "flat tax + VAT" (present in several E. European countries, and they actually collect the taxes) system would fare against a "progressive tax + lower sales tax" system.

By the way, I'm personally unconvinced that pure flat tax + higher sales tax is a good idea (our economy runs on consumption). But PR isn't an argument either way.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Meanwhile, Puerto Rico is demonstrating why the flat taxers are wrong. Of course, this goes without saying since St. Kitts and Nevis prove flat taxers wrong as well as every single other place place on the planet that has tried to implement the sales tax only policy.

Such facts should remove just about every Republican from being considered for president, yet...

They don't. However, they pretty much went from a 3% rate to an 13% rate. The dramatic rate increase flushed products into the black market and overall expected increase in tax revenue did not quite pan out.

Flat tax =/= sales tax/VAT

Posted on: 2015/7/10 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

You have your facts and numbers all wrong. The previous rate was 7% (which was the combination of a 6% "state" sales tax and a 1% "city" tax) and they just approved a raise in the sales tax to 11.5% (not 13%) which went into effect a week ago on July 1st. Is your observation that this "dramatic rate increase flushed products into the black market and overall expected increase in tax revenue did not quite pan out" based on 8 days of data?

The issue of an "underground" economy has been a major problem in PR for many, many years and it wasn't a result of a sales tax creation. That only incentivized more people to get creative about how to hide sales and such from the government.

For those who really want to know and understand the root cause of the issues of Puerto Rico, you need not go far, or get too technical. The economy is in the shitter because Puerto Ricans are overly proud, to the point of arrogance. Trust me, I grew up there. Ask any PUerto Rican and they will tell you that it isn't just an island, it is the BEST island in the world. It doesn't just grow coffee, it grows the best tasting coffee in the world, it has the most beautiful beaches in the world, the best food, the most beautiful women (ok, this one is pretty close to truth...) and on it goes. As part of that unbridled arrogance, comes the phenomenon of "keeping up with the joneses" to a degree I doubt any of you can actually fathom. Down in PR, "keeping up with the joneses" is not a concept, it's a way of life, and people live way beyond their means to a ridiculous level. It's not at all uncommon for people to carry massive debt loads. So, of course, the government reflects those attitudes: and it has been on a spending spree for the past several decades. It wasn't sustainable, never was, but they figured someone, somewhere along the line, would figure it out. It is the proverbial "kick the can down the road" philosophy. Guess what? The chickens came home to roost, with a vengeance.

I am sure some liberals will shift the blame to hedge funds for lending them money or the markets for making it too easy. I guess you could argue that is partly true, just like some believe that enablers are partly at fault for the problems of junkies. Actually, you could view the situation in Puerto Rico as you would view a junkie: an obsession/weakness that is almost insurmountable for things they can't afford, and the markets were willing to give them the money. But, what about personal responsibility?

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
My favorite is how she uses a different accent depending on the state she's in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCyvyyo6dtQ
I mean, I'd love to riff on her for this, but pretty much every politician does this. Lots of Republicans somehow picked up southern drawls and started saying country phrases during the last two election cycles. Obama did it as well. So she's not unique.

Hell I do it too, every time I go to visit my family in the South I find myself talking with more of an accent after a couple days.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Should and Will are words with vastly different definitions. If you've ever lived somewhere with a flat tax or very high sales tax, you'll know that it doesn't actually work very well.

If you ever lived somewhere with a VAT tax, you would know that its regularly collected and funds services like public healthcare.

Not that you probably bothered to read up on what VAT tax is or how it works or why it works before maligning it, but VATs are very difficult to cheat, and when there are tax cheats, its a very small portion of the tax. Because Value Added Tax is added incrementally along the supply chain, no single tax cheat can deprive the state of a large amount of revenue. Also, because each collected tax is very small, the impact of a single tax cheat along the supply chain is very limited and there is much less of a competitive advantage to cheating the system.

I lived in St. Kitts. It isn't that hard to cheat...

Posted on: 2015/7/10 13:56
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/10 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/10 13:37
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/10 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/10 13:13
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/10 6:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
so now i see that hilary clinton is in favor of letting msi-managed puerto rico file for chapter 9 which is only available to municipalities. if illinois can not file for chapter 9, why should puerto rico be able to while it also gets benefit of being able to offer lower rates on its debt since interest on pr debt is triple tax free (another subsidy).

one would have thought democrats would have learned something. most of pr's economy is underground and the pr government needs to find a way to tax this.

anyway, if democrats keep up with nonsense of letting pr file bankruptcy, they will be even more in the minority come 2016.

Yes, you would have thought that Democrats have learned something, like an unregulated bank industry leads to financial chaos. Something like big banks are not going looking out for the best interests of people. Something like there is a place for government to regulate large corporations that control vast amounts of wealth. Fortunately, there is a candidate running for the Democratic nomination who claims to be interested in limiting the power and size of banks and putting people ahead of corporations. That candidate isn't Hilary Clinton.

Go Bernie! Go Greece!

BTW, has anyone commented on Eric Holder's new job?

While it is certainly feasible to point out that Bernie's policy thoughts go a bit far, he's not exactly Greece.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 17:36
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

ambar35 wrote:
Puerto Rico is a colony of the United States and has been so recognized as such by the United Nations for decades while the independence movement in Puerto Rico has always been a target of U.S. government repression. The people of Puerto Rico are owed reparations for the ecological and social devastation they have suffered since the first U.S. troops came ashore on July 25, 1898. And the vulture hedge funds that want to take over the island should not be paid anything.

Thanks for the laugh.

It's more likely that Puerto Rican pensioners will get their life savings wiped out by a debt haircut. Hedge funds if they're still invested will have their risk "hedged". It's what they do.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ambar35 wrote:
Puerto Rico is a colony of the United States and has been so recognized as such by the United Nations for decades while the independence movement in Puerto Rico has always been a target of U.S. government repression. The people of Puerto Rico are owed reparations for the ecological and social devastation they have suffered since the first U.S. troops came ashore on July 25, 1898. And the vulture hedge funds that want to take over the island should not be paid anything.

Thanks for the laugh.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
so now i see that hilary clinton is in favor of letting msi-managed puerto rico file for chapter 9 which is only available to municipalities. if illinois can not file for chapter 9, why should puerto rico be able to while it also gets benefit of being able to offer lower rates on its debt since interest on pr debt is triple tax free (another subsidy).

one would have thought democrats would have learned something. most of pr's economy is underground and the pr government needs to find a way to tax this.

anyway, if democrats keep up with nonsense of letting pr file bankruptcy, they will be even more in the minority come 2016.

Yes, you would have thought that Democrats have learned something, like an unregulated bank industry leads to financial chaos. Something like big banks are not going looking out for the best interests of people. Something like there is a place for government to regulate large corporations that control vast amounts of wealth. Fortunately, there is a candidate running for the Democratic nomination who claims to be interested in limiting the power and size of banks and putting people ahead of corporations. That candidate isn't Hilary Clinton.
well, let's be honest - the republicans are far more libertarian regarding the banks than the democrats but i fault democrats for thinking everyone should own a home and then wanting to promote debt forgiveness when unqualified homeowners get into trouble

Posted on: 2015/7/9 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Go Bernie! Go Greece!

BTW, has anyone commented on Eric Holder's new job?

Posted on: 2015/7/9 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/9 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ambar35 wrote:
spoken like a true socialist revolutionary!

Posted on: 2015/7/9 0:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/9 8:04
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/8 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Walters wrote:

Show your math

Show your math

Posted on: 2015/7/8 18:00

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017