Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Need advice on feral kittens
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
LOL, I've gone to the deep end a long time ago.

Explain this to me: why is it okay to kill cows, chickens and pigs, but not dogs, cats or say, parrots?

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
you're absolutely right. humans practice animal discrimination. okay to raise and butcher cows, pigs, chickens, but certain species are taboo. or, in this case, let's screw around with their reproductive rights!

Just when you think you've heard it all. Animal discrimination? You don't think you've completely gone off the deep end with that comment?

The same reason that the strongest males gain exclusive mating rights with females and push the weaker males away. And the same reason why strong animals will eat weak ones. And the same reason why countries with the strongest militaries can push around those that don't.

Because nature inherently has winners and losers. Many times brute strength is the determining factor. Sometimes it's a mixture of strength and cunning. But that's the natural order of things, might makes right. And the people with might get to set the rules.

In humans, the "rules" vary depending on culture. So our culture has decided we want to eat cows and chickens, while Chinese culture has decided they want to include dogs, and Indian culture has decided to revere cows.

None of this is "discrimination" in any form. It's just how it is, and always has been throughout all history, in every lifeform.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
LOL, I've gone to the deep end a long time ago.

Explain this to me: why is it okay to kill cows, chickens and pigs, but not dogs, cats or say, parrots?

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
you're absolutely right. humans practice animal discrimination. okay to raise and butcher cows, pigs, chickens, but certain species are taboo. or, in this case, let's screw around with their reproductive rights!

Just when you think you've heard it all. Animal discrimination? You don't think you've completely gone off the deep end with that comment?

Posted on: 2015/7/10 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/10 21:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/12 22:40
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
....rushing to the store to find tea tree and wild oregano oils! Thank you!!

Posted on: 2015/7/10 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bear wrote:
istabraq -

User1111 - What do you do with the oils? Spray them on your grass and patios? I feel like I've tried every old wives tale and all seem to do the opposite of what they promise!

I use mostly water with a few drops of TT oil and WO oil to the water in a spray bottle and then spray the patio furniture and around the evergreen shrubs.

They hate the smell and usually go the opposite direction. I also place some in the driveway because they like to camp out there under the car. I also use it on my indoor furniture so my kitty cat does not scratch it up... He avoids all furniture that has been sprayed.

When I first moved into the house there were about 4 cats that owned the backyard because the previous owner of my house fed them. Now they avoid my house like the plague.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 20:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/12 22:40
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
istabraq -

I feel like I could have written that myself; my exact situation! Two were fighting the other day and rolled right into my kitchen door, thank goodness it wasn't open at the time!! Scared the poop outta me.

My neighbor feeds them and builds them shelter in the winter.

I have looked into TNR...unfortunately the least expensive place still asks $50/ cat. With the amount of cats in my yard that really will add up!

Towns all over New Jersey have started municipal TNR programs. You report your colony - they come take care of everything. Where is Jersey City on this?! How do we get the city to at least offer some sort of assistance?

User1111 - What do you do with the oils? Spray them on your grass and patios? I feel like I've tried every old wives tale and all seem to do the opposite of what they promise!

Posted on: 2015/7/10 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I use tea tree, and wild oregano oil around my front and back yards and they stay away from my property.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Not to also mention that humans are mostly responsible for the feral cat epidemic in that its people who have mostly introduces cats into the urban ecosystem. Its people who have dumped cats on the street/abandoned their once pet cats and left them to fend for themselves.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/cats ... y-finds/story?id=18357853

Cats are pretty much killing machines. TNR makes sense.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skyl4rk wrote:
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Honest curiosity here...

Why as humans have we appointed ourselves in charge of cat neutering as though it were a thing that needed to be done?
Who's minding the rabbit, raccoon, and squirrel populations? You're seriously falling down on the job.

Because rabbits, raccoons and squirrels are wild animals and cats are feral (domesticated animals that have turned wild). I'm no ecologist, but there may be good reasoning as to why we shouldn't allow feral populations to go on reproducing unchecked. I don't really know for sure.

Good luck to the OP!

Because cats over-breeding and running wild are a health hazard (urine, feces, dead cats, etc.) in an urban environment and they breed much faster than many other wild species. there are no fields/woods for them to run wild and live safely away from homes and streets/traffic. Its also cruel to let them over-populate.

TNR is best option for both the cat lovers and those who don't like them or aspects of their non-fixed nuisance behavior (fighting, mating noise, spraying, etc.). TNR reduces the nuisance behaviors greatly. If you euthenize them, not only will you never get th em all, but a vaccum effect will be created in their absence and more cats will move in and take over the territory, perpetuating the problem of over-breeding and noise/nuisance. If you fix them and put them back in their territory (which is usually small, like a block), the behavior chills out, kittens stop being born, and they protect the area from new unfixed cats coming in to take over. And the population dwindles over time. Make sense?

Posted on: 2015/7/10 15:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
And on the purely selfish/practical tip - the feral cats that already live around my yard piss and shit all over the place, which is gross, and also upsets my domestic indoor cat. Some of them are aggressive too - one old tomcat walks around my back yard like he owns the place and hisses and spits at me when I come outside. They're not cute! So the last thing I want is more of them. . .I've given up on trying to trap the older toms, they've managed to outwit several of my loony trapping schemes, but I figure I at least have a chance with a nursing mother and baby kittens.

Another note - despite their seemingly difficult lives - they live a long time; there is one tom who was a baby when I first moved into my house 10 years ago, and he's still around, living in the hood.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sold.

Full eradication.

The GPS link in that article was really cool too. Thanks for the link.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 12:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Hold on now, you can't use the fact that we kill millions for no reason as a justification for our cat eugenics program.
We're currently acting like Cat Hitler.

Explain why. Why can't there be feral cats?

Here's an interesting article with some science...

http://io9.com/whats-being-done-about ... amn-feral-cats-1212779224

TL;DR: Feral cats are considered an invasive species and destroy native ecosystems. That's why we have TNR.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 11:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Honest curiosity here...

Why as humans have we appointed ourselves in charge of cat neutering as though it were a thing that needed to be done?
Who's minding the rabbit, raccoon, and squirrel populations? You're seriously falling down on the job.

Because rabbits, raccoons and squirrels are wild animals and cats are feral (domesticated animals that have turned wild). I'm no ecologist, but there may be good reasoning as to why we shouldn't allow feral populations to go on reproducing unchecked. I don't really know for sure.

Good luck to the OP!

Posted on: 2015/7/10 11:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Hold on now, you can't use the fact that we kill millions for no reason as a justification for our cat eugenics program.
We're currently acting like Cat Hitler.

Explain why. Why can't there be feral cats?

Posted on: 2015/7/10 5:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/18 1:19
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
MILLIONS of animals are euthanized every year. TNR is the compassionate way of controlling overpopulation.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Honest curiosity here...

Posted on: 2015/7/10 1:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This FAQ explains the benefits of TNR.

http://www.aspca.org/adopt/feral-cats-faq

Posted on: 2015/7/10 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Honest curiosity here...

Posted on: 2015/7/10 0:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Reach out to Carol McNichol at Companion Animal Trust. She is also at Fussy Friends on Sundays.

carol@companionanimaltrust.org
201-884-9649
http://www.companionanimaltrust.org/

Posted on: 2015/7/9 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Talk to the ladies that run the kitty adoptions at Fussy Friends on Saturdays. One of them is an old friend that took in a few feral kitties, both adult and young, and helped me adopt a 12 week old feral male, an adult rescue female, and a street rescue near adult female that was probably recently abandoned.

All three get along well, and while the male is still skittish among new people, all of them are very social now with people they meet a few times, with the girls being full on attention seeking.

This and also call Paul Bellan-Boyer at Animal Control. They have been doing a lot for found kittens and moms lately. If moved on quickly, they can likely get these kittens to LHS.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Talk to the ladies that run the kitty adoptions at Fussy Friends on Saturdays. One of them is an old friend that took in a few feral kitties, both adult and young, and helped me adopt a 12 week old feral male, an adult rescue female, and a street rescue near adult female that was probably recently abandoned.

All three get along well, and while the male is still skittish among new people, all of them are very social now with people they meet a few times, with the girls being full on attention seeking.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 16:52

Need advice on feral kittens
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I have a feral kitty with a litter of 4 kittens in my yard; the kittens are probably about 8 weeks old or so. I would like to trap/neuter/release the kittens when they are old enough, but I'm not sure how to go about trapping the whole family. I have one trap, but I'm concerned that if just the mom or just one kitten gets in the trap, the others will freak out before I can get to it - or that if I successfully trap one and take it to the vet for neutering and then release it, the others will turn on it or reject it.

Any advice on kitten socialization would also be welcomed - ideally I'd love to take one of the kittens in (and maybe offer the rest for adoption), but the mom is super-skittish and wild and she seems to have passed that on to her little ones.

Can any of the animal people on JCList offer any advice?

Posted on: 2015/7/8 16:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017