Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Jersey City councilman wants to pull the plug on red-light cameras
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Walters wrote:
There was a politician from Illinois that was being prosecuted for taking bribes from a Arizona based RLC co. During the investigation it was revealed that the company also paid a bribe to a NJ politician . I've never read anywhere who that NJ pol was or if our appointed AG ever persued it. But beware of the politician who yells loudest for the return of RLC's
damn, i can't wait until they have drones that monitor traffic, especially at the tunnels and bridges.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 16:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 16:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
There was a politician from Illinois that was being prosecuted for taking bribes from a Arizona based RLC co. During the investigation it was revealed that the company also paid a bribe to a NJ politician . I've never read anywhere who that NJ pol was or if our appointed AG ever persued it. But beware of the politician who yells loudest for the return of RLC's

Posted on: 2015/7/9 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
You can also thank Monmouth County Republican Declan O'Scanlon, who led the fight to get rid of Whizzy's red light camera program.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... _drivers_find_mulshi.html

Posted on: 2015/7/9 10:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Rick Short is doing the lord's work.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 10:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Still at war against red light cameras

July 8, 2015    Last updated: Thursday, July 9, 2015, 12:15 AM

Dear Editor:

Happy six-month anniversary without red light cameras (RLC). Glad to see we are both still alive. Did you ever wonder why the red light cameras (RLCs) are still up on those posts all across New Jersey? Why hasn't one town taken them down yet? Do you think the fourth and fifth  annual (RLC) reports will show some miraculous reduction in car accidents and we will turn them all back on? Well I have some news for you!

I collected 70 of the 73 towns’ (RLC) data and compared pre-camera pedestrian accidents to first full year RLC operations and I came up with a 94-percent increase in pedestrian accidents. But you would have never known this because all the NJ (RLC) DOT reports on are right-angle crashes and rear-end crashes. Plus NJ found five more pedestrian deaths near these RLCs over the program’s lifespan. I find this unbelievable because before the cameras I looked back five years and couldn't find any pedestrian deaths.

If you are still a supporter of New Jersey’s red light cameras, do some research on "Changing Driver Behavior" at one intersection in Jersey City: Route 440 and Routes 1 and 9.  That intersection went from two pre-camera accidents to 49 accidents in one year; that's a 2,350-percent increase in car accidents. Plus that intersection had a pedestrian death on Aug. 5, 2014 and an auto death on June 10, 2013. Please remind the N.J. Department of Transportation (DOT) not to miss that auto death in the state (RLC) data calculation; the driver sadly died hours after the crash and sometimes the state DOT might miss those death calculations.

The fight to turn back on N.J. accident cameras is still happening every day. I won't consider us safer until the towns take (RLCs) down from their posts permanently!

Rick Short,

president of Stop Robo Cops,

Cherry Hill

http://www.northjersey.com/news/nj-st ... d-light-cameras-1.1370601

Posted on: 2015/7/9 6:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey Ends Red Light Camera Pilot Program

NJTV News
12-16-14
By Brenda Flanagan

Multiple choice: red light cameras A) reduce accident rates for T-bone crashes; B) produce rich municipal revenue streams; or C) milk hapless motorists to generate that generous cash flow.

?I?d say, C. They take advantage of the motorist. It?s just an easy way to make money,? said Mary Ann Bock of Petersburg.

?I think it?s a revenue stream for the cities,? said Tom Frei of Normandy Beach.

?I just don?t like the idea you?re watched all the time like that, you know,? said Bill Gibson of Lake Placid. When asked if Big Brother?s not only watching you, he?s issuing tickets, Gibson said, ?Yes, he is.?

No, he?s not ? not any more. As of midnight tonight, New Jersey?s glitch-plagued RLC pilot program expires. In a letter to 24 participating towns, New Jersey?s Department of Transportation says, ?municipalities will lack statutory authority to continue the operation of traffic control signal monitoring systems?including the issuance of citations.?

?Merry Christmas to the motorists of New Jersey,? said Assemblyman Declan O?Scanlon.

Longtime foe O?Scanlon cheers the red light camera pilot program?s demise ? says it?s a big deal.

?New Jersey will be the first state to have had cameras and thrown them out ? en masse ? the very first one,? O?Scanlon said.

With cameras currently installed at 73 intersections, RLCs record cars passing through intersections, images evaluated by police officers like one in Roselle. Tickets carry $85 fines, but the pilot program hit snags almost from the get-go. In 2012, New Jersey?s DOT suspended it temporarily while correcting mistimed light cycles. Earlier this year, the courts tossed out 17,000 tickets because one company ? ATS ? delayed mailing the summonses. Arguments also erupted over whether the cameras actually reduced accidents at intersections, and opponents argue New Jersey?s pilot program can?t even answer that question in a report on data it collected.

Read more:
http://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/ ... ght-camera-pilot-program/

Posted on: 2014/12/17 6:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Since this was not officer issued, the tickets do not affect your insurance Fat ass bike. It's just a money scheme, and if the city was concern with safety the city would used unmarked cars to give tickets and send the point across.

It's all about cost-effectiveness; a camera works 24/7 and doesn't get a fat pension when it retires - I doubt people who get caught from time to time by an actual cop change their driving habits - I believe its only the hip pocket payout to fines that change behavior; people can be stubborn and when there's less beer money, the message might sink in !

As for insurance, don't we have to declare any offences and if we talk porky-pies, the insurance could null and void a claim if they checked ?

I love the idea that those motorists that are non-compliant with our road rules are forced to pay higher premiums.

I think the only problem that needs addressing is the less then a second delay from a yellow to a red light; as the news article mentioned, it was 2/3 of a second quicker we are talking about to correct the excuse for running a redlight.

Posted on: 2014/11/21 1:31
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Since this was not officer issued, the tickets do not affect your insurance Fat ass bike. It's just a money scheme, and if the city was concern with safety the city would used unmarked cars to give tickets and send the point across.

Posted on: 2014/11/21 1:18
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Pretty sure the only one downtown was at 18th and Coles...

Which is probably the least "walked" lighted intersection downtown- especially considering the camera predated Cast Iron.

So I'm sure the camera is all about pedestrians- and not about nailing out of towners coming to and from Hoboken, right?

It's clear that the "pedestrians" in favor of cameras 1) don't drive a car 2) don't read to understand the study showing they are a danger.

How about this. Let's put cameras at intersections where people are crossing, and then, even when they cross safely, give them jaywalking tickets. Then when they complain let's say it's for safety. Would be fair, no?

you would have more vehicle accidents then pedestrian accidents when someone runs a red light. my insurance as everyone's, would love to know who was the actual motorist that ran a red light or has a history of running red lights.
I'd assume insurance companies would love to know who also has a history of running red light so as to hit them with higher premiums ! Red light cameras are a great way to highlight dangerous and risk taking drivers !

ps, and we all know who wins out of a vehicle - pedestrian accidents !

Posted on: 2014/11/20 20:44
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Pretty sure the only one downtown was at 18th and Coles...

Which is probably the least "walked" lighted intersection downtown- especially considering the camera predated Cast Iron.

So I'm sure the camera is all about pedestrians- and not about nailing out of towners coming to and from Hoboken, right?

It's clear that the "pedestrians" in favor of cameras 1) don't drive a car 2) don't read to understand the study showing they are a danger.

How about this. Let's put cameras at intersections where people are crossing, and then, even when they cross safely, give them jaywalking tickets. Then when they complain let's say it's for safety. Would be fair, no?

Posted on: 2014/11/20 20:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/5 12:37
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
people who are against these cameras are probably the ones running the red lights. i hate the fact that they worry more about getting a ticket then they do about hitting / killing someone!

even with the cameras people fly through intersections not caring so its back to the wild west for those trying to cross streets

and i think its sad that Rich Boggiano thinks its safer without them. "I think they're a joke. They dangerous," said Boggiano, adding that the cameras lead to more rear-end crashes as drivers slam on their brakes to avoid getting an $85 ticket for blowing through a red light."

hey jerk! how about saying that maybe people shouldn't run red lights to begin with. or how about this. so you dont care about the person crossing at the light who will get hit or the car turning at the light who can also get hit by the other jerk running the red light. as long as they dont get a rear end collision? way to go, i see you have the people's best interest in mind.

i will go on record to say he probably has gotten a ticket or 2 from running red lights.

politics as usual!

Posted on: 2014/11/18 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I surmise that some motorists are habitual red light runners or late yellow light runners, and its only a matter of time before one of these 'red light runners' collect one of our family members. The only way to change that behavior that might work is via the hip pocket in the form of finds.

If the only issue is the time delay from yellow to red, then we should fix that and keep fining these motorist that play 'russian roulette' at intersections with other law-abiding motorists!

Posted on: 2014/11/18 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
If there was proper enforcement on JFK Blvd., I'd be ok with this. But there never is, even though we neighbors have been screaming for it for years, and especially since our neighbor was killed last year. SMH.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
This is why cities will oppose things like the google cars that are driven by a computer and never run red lights.

Cities actually WANT law breakers and they want ways to catch them and fine them.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City councilman hails end of red-light camera program

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
November 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Jersey City's most prominent red-light camera opponent is cheering news that the state is pulling the plug on the program next month.

City Councilman Rich Boggiano, who tried and failed in March to get the council to end the city's red-light camera program, today called the cameras "illegal" and said New Jersey's roads are safer without them.

"I think they're a joke. They dangerous," said Boggiano, adding that the cameras lead to more rear-end crashes as drivers slam on their brakes to avoid getting an $85 ticket for blowing through a red light.

Read more:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... program.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/11/18 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
This yellow light shortening, red light camera issues is a job for mythbusters - A lot of personal opinion being talked about with not too much facts

The facts have been out there for years. Perhaps some aren't aware of them.

Here is a forensic expert analysis done last year which proved the yellow light shortening. This wouldn't show up in the videotape. Not to mention, many people have jobs and can't take a day off to go to court. Or they'd lose enough income from not working as to be even more expensive than the ticket!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013 ... lights_lawmaker_says.html

They mention 2/3 of a second to quick - Now we aren't taking about car racing speeds where 2/3 of a second is heaps, but rather motorists aren't applying the brakes on time when the yellow light first comes on !

I'm no expert but you can ask for a image sent to you before you go to court - thus giving you the opportunity to challenge ... this is called the discovery process.

The images are sent to you when you get the citation, along with a code and link to be able to see the video snippet of the violation for which you are being cited. Regardless, the system is still open to interpretation, and it is not foolproof. As others have pointed out, if you are being rushed through the light (say, to make room for a cop or ambulance) you will get ticketed and you will need to go to court and plead your case, which you are unlikely to win without additional proof. Also, the "full stop" before making a right on red is HIGHLY subjective as the state law does NOT specify how much time constitutes a full stop. I actually got ticketed for this offense in Newark. Took a half day off from work to go to court and it was a colossal WASTE of time. The video shows I made a stop, and you can see the stop lights come on, but the police officer reviewing the evidence stated that a full stop requires at least three seconds and, rather than waste more time and effort arguing over $65, I just paid the fine. The state law does not state ANYTHING about three seconds. It is an "accepted" standard by LEOs but nothing official.

Quote:

The yellow light from my understanding, is your requirement to stop unless it is unsafe to do so and not to gun it to beat the red !

Not entirely accurate. It is NOT a requirement. And, you are legally entitled to continue on a yellow light. But, you would be wise to just stop. Here is the explanation on yellow lights, straight from the NJ Driver Safety manual:

Yellow Light
Traffic should stop before entering an intersection or crosswalk for a yellow light unless the vehicle is too close to the intersection to stop safely. A yellow arrow means the signal is changing from green to red, and gives the driver a chance to stop safely.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
This yellow light shortening, red light camera issues is a job for mythbusters - A lot of personal opinion being talked about with not too much facts

Here is a forensic expert analysis done last year which proved the yellow light shortening. This wouldn't show up in the videotape. Not to mention, many people have jobs and can't take a day off to go to court. Or they'd lose enough income from not working as to be even more expensive than the ticket!

They mention 2/3 of a second to quick - Now we aren't taking about car racing speeds where 2/3 of a second is heaps, but rather motorists aren't applying the brakes on time when the yellow light first comes on !

I'm no expert but you can ask for a image sent to you before you go to court - thus giving you the opportunity to challenge ... this is called the discovery process.

What isn't being mentioned is the cameras highlight who ran the red light at a vehicle accident or even a pedestrian accident. It would seem 'generally speaking' most people hate it when people run a red light but don't what to be caught themselves. Red light cameras operate successfully in many countries and if its just that 2/3 of second yellow light thats the problem, then its a simple fix !

The yellow light from my understanding, is your requirement to stop unless it is unsafe to do so and not to gun it to beat the red !

Posted on: 2014/11/16 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/16 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If one feels they didn't go through a red light, the camera image can be viewed and proof provided for the motorist or court proceedings

Posted on: 2014/11/15 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
This is a huge loss for the average NJ pedestrian. If you walk everywhere in the city, as most of us do, you note that the auto drivers can get away with just about any sort of bad intersection behavior. Without the cameras there will no doubt be a spike in poor driving behavior all over the state. I get that there were legitimate problems with the system but as a pedestrian I don't care. All I care about is my right to cross the street without having my life put in danger for the sake of some auto drivers convenience.

No it's not, most people come to a stop and go once it is safe and the only reason the cameras were making money was because people were making right turns. I remember hearing that because of the cameras accidents had actually increased and also the towns had made the yellow lights shorter in order to make more money which also leads to more accidents.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 23:12
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
This is a huge loss for the average NJ pedestrian. If you walk everywhere in the city, as most of us do, you note that the auto drivers can get away with just about any sort of bad intersection behavior. Without the cameras there will no doubt be a spike in poor driving behavior all over the state. I get that there were legitimate problems with the system but as a pedestrian I don't care. All I care about is my right to cross the street without having my life put in danger for the sake of some auto drivers convenience.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 17:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Its about time people wake up to the fact this electronic wizardry is a scam to fleece the public. There are sufficient court testimonials or evidence to support this allegation. If we really are concerned about safety let us get the State to change the laws on speed bumps. Many poorer countries especially in Central America who cannot even afford traffic lights in their towns used this method to control speeding and most taxi drivers know where the bumps and slow down naturally to avoid damage to their car suspensions.
Downtown Jersey City on Grand street is where you need this speed bumps. The drivers who get off the turnpike speed to their work destination in the financial district in the morning and does the reverse in the evening to rush back home. If these bumps are used, no need for those portable speed reminders, drastic traffic enforcements ,no maintenance but unfortunately no additional revenue source for the city.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't be surprised if they continued to issue tickets from these cameras after Dec. 16 on the bet most people won't know about the plug being pulled and will continue to pay up. And even if you did know, the entire system is set up so that drivers who are wrongly ticketed find it easier to just pay up than contest the ticket.

I was all in favor of these red light cameras when they first came out, but now I just see too many abuses - from shortened yellow lights to people being ticketed on the basis of faulty video in which there are gaps with seconds missing, or people being forced to run a red light because the ambulance behind them isn't captured by the video. The system might work if it wasn't outsourced to a private company whose motive isn't to make the streets safer but to grab as much revenue as possible. It would also help if there were a fair appeals process that didn't require people to take a day off work.

I hardly drive - perhaps 2-3 times a month - and I'm very careful. If I speed at all, it's 2-3 mph above the limit, max. I'm constantly aggravating the drivers behind me by yielding to pedestrians and coming to full stops at red lights before making that right turn. For all my caution and attention, I still avoid those red-light intersections whenever possible. Why? Because I can't shake the feeling that the set-up is designed to nail me no matter what.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Another loss for the idiot Whizzy. Guess he'll have to make some more deals to screw the taxpayers while getting campaign contributions.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Finally the robbing of NJ residents is over! All red light cameras in the state will be shut down 12/16/2014.

To those who wanted them, too bad, you've lost. They were rife with corruption anyway so good riddance.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2 ... towns.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Posted on: 2014/11/14 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
hands off red-light cameras. obey the law and you won't get ticketed

Posted on: 2014/10/18 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yet another reason to kill the red light cameras: Editorial

By Star-Ledger Editorial Board
October 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM

As if it weren't bad enough that the head of the outfit running many of New Jersey's red light cameras was indicted for paying off officials in Chicago, and the program here is dysfunctional -- remember when 17,000 tickets had to be thrown out? -- now we have this news:

Two grass-roots researchers say the data the state will use to decide whether to kill the controversial program next year isn't even accurate.

The state Department of Transportation and the camera companies have so far offered nothing to refute their criticisms. And if they are correct, it should be the final dart in this balloon. After five years, the public still has no credible evidence that the red light program works.

Read More:
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... eras_in_nj_editorial.html

Posted on: 2014/10/18 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
PLEASE keep the "Stop for Pedestrian" signs. I have seen the before and after difference. Without them, drivers basically feel that unless you are right in the middle of the intersection, they can barrel ahead even if pedestrians are trying to cross. Now, drivers (usually) recognize that a pedestrian has the right of way.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure if NJ has voted to get rid of the red light cameras yet.

It's worth mentioning that Chicago's mayor Rahm Emanuel admitted to shortening the yellow light time in order to get extra money, after facing pressure he reset the time to normal, yet has refused to refund those who were ticketed under the shorter standard.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct ... -1012-20141012-story.html

Posted on: 2014/10/14 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/17 0:39

(1) 2 3 4 »