Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

Re: Exposed Coal Shoot : Jersey Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Next time around, find out if there is a mortgage. (I think it appears on public tax records). Mortgage holder will inform the insurer. I also think that there is no objection to replacing bluestone sidewalks with concrete, even in histy distys.

That entire stretch of sidewalk appears to be hollow, in which case it'll take a bit of shoring-up/filling-in before concrete can be poured in place of those bluestone slabs.

Viva la cone.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Next time around, find out if there is a mortgage. (I think it appears on public tax records). Mortgage holder will inform the insurer. I also think that there is no objection to replacing bluestone sidewalks with concrete, even in histy distys.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Saradove wrote:
Hey all, I just walked down to Key Foods & wonder of wonders ?. the coal chute was in the process of being closed up. I applauded.

Saw that, too! Gave out a hearty "whoot!"

Aaaaaand then walked by an hour ago to see the orange cone back in place.

The piece of slate has been replaced with a board, though.

So, that's something.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 3:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Hey all, I just walked down to Key Foods & wonder of wonders ?. the coal chute was in the process of being closed up. I applauded.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 18:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to Jersey City y'all...have fun complaining to each other about nonsense. Start a support group or something. I elect Yvonne as President and Pebble as the VP with boodipoo as the shrink to straighten everyone out!

Posted on: 2015/7/8 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Drop off the results at the press if you want to see real action. Good idea though.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This hole is a public safety hazard and the city should have acted immediately to remediate.

I don't disagree, NJ state and local statute should provide for the city doing just that, and billing the owner, as is done in NYC. The law statewide appears to be convoluted http://scholarship.shu.edu/cgi/viewco ... article=1029&context=shlj

IMO, this seems to reflect the bigger problem that the JC government doesn't seem to do anything to solve any problems: sidewalks never cleared of snow and ice, duly reported by me - nothing happens. Traffic laws routinely flouted, I report problem spots - you never see any JCPD presence, and I live near an elementary school. Streets in the Heights awash with trash, same story.

Not to take this off topic, but it does seem important - the level of city services all around is pretty dire; maybe there needs to be a citizens campaign to document all of this, and the results dropped on the mayor's doorstep.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 17:56

Edited by Wishful_Thinking on 2015/7/7 18:11:47
Reason: correcting major factual error, add link

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Am I the only one wanting more info on the owner, the "now-late yet still infamous Vladimir Dremluga's wife"?

FWIW, I push a stroller around a lot and it has gotten stuck on the sidewalks downtown sooo many times I've lost count. But there doesn't seem to be any enforcement at all to make homeowners repair and maintain their sidewalks. We had ours re-poured a few years back and it's one of the only smooth patches on the block.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
The last email correspondence I was copied on from Mark Redfield to the Council states "Ed Coleman?s office, Housing Code Enforcement is handling this request. This is private property, and the cover is an old coal shoot, and is a violation. Unfortunately Vladimir Dremluga the owner of 570 Jersey Ave, passed away and Director Coleman is following up the violation with his wife."

This was on June 18th.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I'll bet you have drunk so much kool-aid its shooting out of your ears.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This hole is a public safety hazard and the city should have acted immediately to remediate. This is not in some back alley in a remote area but on a busy main avenue just blocks from City Hall. Someone must be accountable for not acting. Yes, the Historic Preservation Officer should have been advised as well as the Code Enforcement Office by RRC. Once the owner was advised and did not respond the city could indeed fix the problem and bill the owner and let it wind up as a lien on the property. Councilwoman Osborne should not have to be involved
but her help is welcome. Rebranding the city and "Making it Yours" should not be like going to the dentist for a root canal.

I'll bet you have 100 cats.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This hole is a public safety hazard and the city should have acted immediately to remediate. This is not in some back alley in a remote area but on a busy main avenue just blocks from City Hall. Someone must be accountable for not acting. Yes, the Historic Preservation Officer should have been advised as well as the Code Enforcement Office by RRC. Once the owner was advised and did not respond the city could indeed fix the problem and bill the owner and let it wind up as a lien on the property. Councilwoman Osborne should not have to be involved
but her help is welcome. Rebranding the city and "Making it Yours" should not be like going to the dentist for a root canal.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This property is in the Harsimus Cove Historic District. Does anyone out there know this and whoyagonna call? HPO/slate sidewalk? Yet create another historic district the city can't manage.

I'm assuming JC's landmarks law - like in NYC, and other cities - require the designated property to be kept in a good state of repair by the owner, and only provides for the city to come in and do the work when there is an unsafe condition that can't be remediated by any other means (sidewalk bridge, sidewalk barriers, etc.).

This has been reported, why is Jersey City so reluctant to enforce the code or statute? This, IMO, is the question we should be asking City Hall.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
O.K. I got it. This coal chute has been exposed and a hazard for over a year. In that time the city has done nothing. All posters addressing this are being so positive some want to pour concrete down the hole and run. Great fix. The city can't do anything about it because its "private property". Get real Sherlock. You're in fantasy land! How did the "kool-aid" taste?

Posted on: 2015/7/5 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This property is in the Harsimus Cove Historic District. Does anyone out there know this and whoyagonna call? HPO/slate sidewalk? Yet create another historic district the city can't manage.

Do you EVER come here and say something positive or do you just bitch at every post? Seems like even when you are maybe not bitching you just ramble to the point of confusing everyone.

Posted on: 2015/7/5 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/4 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/3 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I really don't know what the solution is being that the building owner clearly took the time to piece together two slate slabs, a road cone, a piece of twine and some belgium blocks yet had nary a impulse to just replace the cover.

It's been well over a year, hell, maybe close to two at this point. I'd love to think that the owner is getting fines every month but I highly doubt that is happening.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 17:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Can't believe that this annoying hole in the ground is causing so much distress...does anyone on the block have the ability to buy stone fill, a bag of concrete, add a bucket of water and dump it down the hole....then run away!

Posted on: 2015/7/2 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
It's a shame this owner has let this become a hazard - historically, coal chutes had cast-iron vault covers, similar to the cast-iron and bullet glass sidewalk vaults you see in SoHo in NYC (smaller, of course).

It should be filled in, a more sensitive owner could find a replacement to mark the place of an interesting tid-bit of history http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/ne ... ute-covers-now-available/

I was thinking the same thing. If I owned this place I'd value the coal chute as a great artifact.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like something that could be fixed by dropping some raw fish into it and waiting a few days.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
It's a shame this owner has let this become a hazard - historically, coal chutes had cast-iron vault covers, similar to the cast-iron and bullet glass sidewalk vaults you see in SoHo in NYC (smaller, of course).

It should be filled in, a more sensitive owner could find a replacement to mark the place of an interesting tid-bit of history http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/ne ... ute-covers-now-available/

Posted on: 2015/7/2 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
Chute.... chute.

bless you.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Chute.... chute.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 19:00

Exposed Coal Shoot : Jersey Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure as most people who live DT and frequent the Key Foods or live in that general area, you've noticed the road cone that has been parked in the middle of the sidewalk in front of 570 Jersey Ave. Well, that road cone has been covering a missing coal shoot cover (about 12" diameter) for well over a year now. Needless to say, it's a pretty big safety hazard. I got fed up with nothing being done and contacted the JC RRC through the app (twice) and still nothing was done (first time no response, second time filed as "complete - no need for repairs). I finally reached out to Councilwoman Osborne and, thankfully, she was all over this. Mark Redfield (chief of the DPW and IA) investigated and the sidewalk is private property, so the city cannot make the repairs. More disappointing is that the residence is owned by now-late yet still infamous Vladimir Dremluga's wife.

So, with that being said, what are the expectations for this ever being fixed? Will the city just issue fines and leave it up to the owner to either make the repairs or just continue to pay fines? Not sure how this process works.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 18:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017