Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Take a Minute & STOP the NJ BEAR HUNT
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I do quite a bit of hunting and was never interested in shooting a bear until my wife and I were at a place that had the option to try bear meat. We were both hesitant but tried it. My wife after tasting it looked up at me and said...next time you see a bear shoot it. It is delicious!
I would compare it to the best pot roast you ever had with the consistency of a juicy shredded roast pork.

Posted on: 2020/10/15 11:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson County was the only county in NJ that didn't have bears..

Well that changed

A bear was spotted running around a busy part of Hudson County this weekend, leaving police and people living nearby quite surprised. News 12 spoke to neighbors who say they saw police officers on their block in the middle of the night and were wondering what happened. They ran outside and they saw a bear on the roof of a garage on Passaic Street in Harrison.
Neighbors say it's very unusual, and that it is a busy area and they have never seen a bear there before. Police first received reports of the bear near Wawa in Kearny at around 4 p.m.

And Gov. Murphy has announced there will be no more bear hunts...

Posted on: 2020/10/12 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
It's a better source than your ass, which is what backs up your claim.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/8 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
A crappy newspaper from North Jersey that panders to suburbanites is not a great source.

It's a better source than your ass, which is what backs up your claim.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This thread made me think of this political advert back when I was a kid:

https://youtu.be/NpwdcmjBgNA

Posted on: 2015/7/8 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Category I Incident Definition (From NJDEP):
Characterizes the Bear incident with following surroundings:

AGRICULTURE

ATTEMPTED HOME ENTRY

UNPROVOKED DOG ATTACK

HUMAN ATTACK

Category Level I often leads to Bear?s death.

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/inde ... rking_statistics_say.html

As the bear population has fallen from roughly 3,500 in northwestern N.J. to an estimated 2,500 in the last five years, so too has the rate of recorded encounters.

In 2010, the DEP logged a total of 236 Category I incidents. After the first year of the hunt in Dec. 2010, which claimed 592 bears, the number of Category I incidents dropped to 200 in 2011, a 15 percent decrease.

And in 2012, state wildlife officials recorded just 120 Category I reports, a 40 percent decrease over the prior year. A total of 469 bears were killed during the Dec. 2011 hunt.

But the last two hunting seasons have yielded relatively paltry culls (287 in 2012 and 251 in 2013), and a number of Category I figures are back on the rise in 2014.

Through Sept. 20, the DEP has already recorded increases in home entries, property damage, livestock kills and aggressive bears over 2013. (The data, which counts 146 incidents through Sept. 20 of 2014, does not include the incident in the Apshawa Preserve.)

Overall nuisance bear damage and complaints are down 40 percent through the end of the 2013, but similarly creep up again in 2014.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A crappy newspaper from North Jersey that panders to suburbanites is not a great source.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
It is funny how you can read an article titled "Hikers did not provoke 'rogue' bear's attack in West Milford, officials say" yet continue to spread as fact your contention that he "taunted" the bear.

Certainly what they did was stupid in not heeding the warning to flee, but taking pictures (you don't seem to understand the difference between a picture and a selfie) of an animal is not taunting it.

Also, the bear hunt was started well before this killing occurred, for reasons previously stated. Those reasons remain true regardless of whether there are hunting accidents or not. Besides, as someone else said, if the hunters get into accidents then won't your problem take care of itself? Please don't pretend that you care about the hunters' welfare now.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
..there is absolutely no evidence that the Rutgers student or his friends were "taunting" the bear. Instead, they were taking pictures of it when it kept coming closer. They ran when it was too late...

Taking selfies with the bear -- is taunting the bear.

Patel was about to begin hiking with four friends in Apshawa Preserve when they met a man and a woman at the entrance who told them there was a bear nearby and advised them to turn around. They continued on, found the bear, and Patel and another hiker took photos. They turned and began walking away, but the bear followed them. The hikers ran in different directions, and found that Patel was missing when they regrouped. Authorities found Patel's body after searching for two hours. A black bear found in the vicinity was killed. According to the State Department of Environmental Protection, the last fatal bear attack in New Jersey was in 1852.

How many Huntiing Accidents do you think happened since 1852 in NJ?

Posted on: 2015/7/8 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

lefty55 wrote:
FYI, the Rutgers students were taunting the bear, which is not the wisest practice. The are no known cases of people being attacked by a black bear in NJ. This is not and never has been a safety issue. It is and always will be a political issue.

Well said!

High five! You'll find people who will spout all sorts of opinions, such as those who still believe the Earth is flat. But one flat Earther talking to another doesn't make them right.

This is about a bear (and deer) population that is spiraling out of control. The hunt is an effective way of controlling these populations to prevent safety issues from occurring. And the permit fees go towards protecting local wildlife. Sorry that not literally everything is political.

Oh, and I know that facts aren't your thing, but for the record there is absolutely no evidence that the Rutgers student or his friends were "taunting" the bear. Instead, they were taking pictures of it when it kept coming closer. They ran when it was too late. So we can dispel your myth that there are no known cases of someone getting attacked by a black bear in NJ.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/hiker ... d-officials-say-1.1098729

In fact, if there is an overpopulation of bears, that means there is less food for them. Hungry bears = trouble for people. You can carry on with your misguided, emotional, stupid, and dangerous cause if you must, but you're probably better off letting the experts handle this.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lefty55 wrote:
FYI, the Rutgers students were taunting the bear, which is not the wisest practice. The are no known cases of people being attacked by a black bear in NJ. This is not and never has been a safety issue. It is and always will be a political issue.

Well said!

Posted on: 2015/7/8 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
SPOTSWOOD ? Coyote sightings in the borough and neighboring towns for the past three weeks have prompted officials to issue public warnings.

"Use caution when letting out small pets and don't allow young children unattended at night," Spotswood Mayor Nicholas V. Poliseno stated in an email alert Monday.

Coyotes used to follow by brother and sisters to the bus stop on their way to school (Oklahoma.. not NJ). They just liked the smell of what was in their lunch bags. Otherwise, they were no threat to people. Small pets and farm livestock was a different issue though.

Coyotes now are a lot more aggressive. It appears that Coyotes and Wolves cross bred in Canada. So now there is this over-sized, aggressive Coywolf hybrid that has been making its way from Canada to other parts of North America. In a very non Coyote way, they also hunt in packs.

It is believed it was this breed that was responsible for killing and trying to eat a female folk musician who was out hiking back in 2009 in eastern Canada.

In my parent's Vermont home, we used to have quite a number of feral and semi feral cats living in the area. The Coyotes moved in and made short work of the cats in the mid 1990s.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
SPOTSWOOD ? Coyote sightings in the borough and neighboring towns for the past three weeks have prompted officials to issue public warnings.

"Use caution when letting out small pets and don't allow young children unattended at night," Spotswood Mayor Nicholas V. Poliseno stated in an email alert Monday.

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf ... 62#cmpid=nsltr_strybutton

Posted on: 2015/7/7 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/7 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well besides you few gun nuts -- there have been some bright posters.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The problem is people are living in areas where there are bears. There shouldn't be development in the rural areas up north. Its generally bad for the environment to move people out to rural suburbs...

....as well as Lefty55.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Reposting your original post that no one cared about the first time? Check.

Still ignoring all facts and logic, solely relying on emotional based idiocy? Check.

Able to accomplish the extremely rare feat of uniting all posters against your misguided cause? Check.

Folks, we may be witnessing a thread of the year.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

The Division of Fish and Wildlife has released its proposed 2015 Comprehensive Black Bear Management Policy (CBBMP) - a drastic expansion of the bear hunt. The full document of proposed changes can be seen here: link. Below is an abbreviated list.

Instead of ending the madness of this trophy hunt, they are proposing:

Adding additional days to the black bear hunting killing season
Allowing bow and arrow and muzzleloading rifles
Allowing more than one bear to be killed per person
Opening up more areas, statewide
Adding four more days after the December hunt if weather interferes with the killing
Reviewing the policy every seven years instead of the current five
The comment period on the CBBMP is now open.

It is critically important for you to submit comments (see sample below); please help demonstrate that bears are still important to the residents of New Jersey.

Fortunately, during this open public comment period, all of us have a role in giving bears the support they need and deserve.

We know that the Christie Administration's shameful gift of a bear hunt to hunters has been a frustrating and sad experience.

Please remember that three other governors stopped bear hunts. When we demonstrate consistent support for bears, future governors can and will take action to stop the hunt. Action is so important, and takes so little time.

1. Submit comments electronically by July 17, 2015, through the following link.

www.nj.gov/dep/rules/comments/

Instructions:
Fill in the required boxes.
At "Select Rule?making from the list," scroll to "DEP Dkt. No. 04-15-04, Game Code NJAC 7:25-5.6 and 5.24 Black Bear".
Type your comments in the field.
You can use the wording below as a basis for your comments, or insert your own words at the beginning or conclusion.

*** SAMPLE COMMENT LETTER ***

Ms. Carole Stanko:
Please register my opposition to the entire proposed 2015 Comprehensive Black Bear Management Policy (CBBMP), which drastically expands the bear hunt. I am opposed to ANY bear hunt. I am also opposed to extension of the review process to every seven years.
New Jersey's bear hunts are entirely recreational and political have no impact whatsoever in reducing human/bear interactions as stated in the CBBMP. Nonlethal means of reducing human/bear encounters are the only effective solution. However, I cannot support the CBBMP's nonlethal components because they have never been implemented in any serious manner by the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife.
I cannot support the state's category system, which sensationalizes normal black bear behavior and often results in the deaths of bears.
Furthermore, I support the development of Bear Smart Communities as described in Bear Smart bills (A4017/S687).

Posted on: 2015/7/7 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
GrovePath lives in a society that was only made possible through hunting and clearing out the natural environment.

And then at the same time, rails against hunting. If hunting is so bad, don't contribute to it by participating in a society that can only function with hunting.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
...and you'll be glad they have a healthy respect for humans...

Healthy respect for humans -- unlike you -- as you drive around with your car windows down and Pitbulls in the back -- to scare panhandlers.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=381681

Ever been upstate? You'd probably crap your pants if you ran into a bear. You seem to crap your pants on most local stories. And no - I don't own pitbulls -just a couple of pretty old and tame dogs. Go hug your teddy.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/7 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/7 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
GrovePath wrote:
Brewster, some people enjoy eating cats -- do want to shoot some of yours for their pleasure?

/[quote]

Generally people don't hunt or eat companion animals (animals that basically become family members). This is why cats and dogs are not generally found on menus in countries where they are considered prized pets.

However, there have been exceptions:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/7 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, some people enjoy eating cats -- do want to shoot some of yours for their pleasure?

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't shoot a bear. I only shoot animals that I will eat, currently Pheasant or Quail. One of these days maybe I'll go hunt those Wild Hogs in the South - I hear they're delicious.

Actually, bear is supposed to be tasty too, they're relatives of swine, and eat a lot of the same wild foods. Meat is a very small portion of a black bear's diet.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
...and you'll be glad they have a healthy respect for humans...

Healthy respect for humans -- unlike you -- as you drive around with your car windows down and Pitbulls in the back -- to scare panhandlers.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=381681

Posted on: 2015/7/7 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Issuing hunting licences to control the NJ bear population is pretty fair - natural selection. The nuisance bears are more likely to run into a hunter's bullet. Go hiking or camping NW NJ and you'll run into a lot of bears - and you'll be glad they have a healthy respect for humans.

Start a petition against roadkill from your JC couch if you really love wildlife - but I guess most of those flattened critters aren't as cute.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 10:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't shoot a bear. I only shoot animals that I will eat, currently Pheasant or Quail. One of these days maybe I'll go hunt those Wild Hogs in the South - I hear they're delicious.

Actually, bear is supposed to be tasty too, they're relatives of swine, and eat a lot of the same wild foods. Meat is a very small portion of a black bear's diet.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Fact: Vastly more people are killed in Hunting Accidents than by Black Bears.

So what you are saying is this is a situation that resolve itself. The more hunters there are, the more hunters will be hunted by the hunters hunting bears.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Fact: Vastly more people are killed in Hunting Accidents than by Black Bears.

Patel was about to begin hiking with four friends in Apshawa Preserve when they met a man and a woman at the entrance who told them there was a bear nearby and advised them to turn around. They continued on, found the bear, and Patel and another hiker took photos. They turned and began walking away, but the bear followed them. The hikers ran in different directions, and found that Patel was missing when they regrouped. Authorities found Patel's body after searching for two hours. A black bear found in the vicinity was killed. According to the State Department of Environmental Protection, the last fatal bear attack in New Jersey was in 1852.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... _attacks_in_North_America

How many Huntiing Accidents do you think happened since 1852 in NJ?

Posted on: 2015/7/6 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Resized Image

Must hurt to have facts get in the way of an emotionally based narrative.

Silly me, thinking things like facts and logic would play some role in your thought processes.

Instead, you have joined the ranks of those who place feelings above reality, feelz over realz for short.

Enjoy losing your crusade. At least the posts here have demonstrated to everyone else why your cause deserves its losing fate.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
LOL that's funny, I like that.

You eat meat? Chicken, Beef, or maybe Pork? Same thing with Bear Hunts - dead animals.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/6 22:55

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!