Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Chen Depot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Look just order the Orange Chicken combo with egg roll and pork fried rice and you'll be just fine.

Home supplies ? nah ....

Quote:

bigorangejc wrote:
Stay away from this place. Initially we would like to order cabinets from them and put a few hundreds deposit after the initial design for later measurement as they required. Five days later, actually two days before the measurement, we changed our mind. We then called to cancel the measurement and asked the deposit back. They turned very rude and would not give our money back. They never mentioned about the design fee is not refundable, nor disclosing this in the paperwork. Ridiculous place. They haven't done anything during the 5 days, but refused to refund the deposit.
They claimed to have better products than the Chinese cabinets stores in flushing, NY. Yet after doing some research, we found that the brands they hold are also held by other places. Actually the other places have more selections and offer better price. Moreover, other places offer free delivery by default (even if the destination is Jersey City). In Chen Depot, free delivery is more like a favor they do to you after tough negotiation.
Overall, stay away from this place if you can.

Posted on: 2017/3/30 21:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/4 18:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Stay away from this place. Initially we would like to order cabinets from them and put a few hundreds deposit after the initial design for later measurement as they required. Five days later, actually two days before the measurement, we changed our mind. We then called to cancel the measurement and asked the deposit back. They turned very rude and would not give our money back. They never mentioned about the design fee is not refundable, nor disclosing this in the paperwork. Ridiculous place. They haven't done anything during the 5 days, but refused to refund the deposit.
They claimed to have better products than the Chinese cabinets stores in flushing, NY. Yet after doing some research, we found that the brands they hold are also held by other places. Actually the other places have more selections and offer better price. Moreover, other places offer free delivery by default (even if the destination is Jersey City). In Chen Depot, free delivery is more like a favor they do to you after tough negotiation.
Overall, stay away from this place if you can.

Posted on: 2017/3/30 17:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/29 21:17
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
sorry if you feel like you weren't given the best in service from our company. Chen depot is a separate company from john Chen and his construction work. he is a contractor that we provide materials for, he doesn't work for this company. the installation team for the cabinets are not our people, the counter top install people are ours.we hope you weren't to put off by your experience and will try giving the team of chen depot another chance to show you our great customer service.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 21:17
Chen depot inc.
660 Tonnele Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07307
Mon-Sat 8:30AM-5:00PM

t: (201) 798-1088
f: (201) 798-8036

https://www.facebook.com/chen.depot
http://www.yelp.com/biz/chen-depot-inc-jersey-city

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/4 22:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/18 19:10
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

mrspigglewiggle wrote:
The boss told me my kitchen demo and complete renovation would take 2-3 weeks, which was much faster than most American contractors were quoting.

TLDR; Chen depot has good pricing, but their quality is questionable and workmanship sucks balls.

1. Are they not American citizens?

2. If quality is questionable and workmanship sucks balls, what makes the pricing good?

I think the owners are American citizens, the contractors who perform the work aren't.

I should clarify that I meant their pricing was good before I saw the final product. If you have your own contractor and labor, Chen Depot for countertops is probably decent. To be fair, they have fast turnaround (I think 3 days, max of 5 days for most orders) and maybe if I had purchased their higher end granite, I wouldn't have the chips, although I would still have the hole in my wall from bad templating. Their granite starts at $30/sq ft. I got the cheap granite and after everything was said and done, prob paid about $38/sq ft?

95% of my problems came from using their brother, John Chen, for my contractor and labor.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 17:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I'll throw in a positive vote. I used them for my kitchen counters. They did a great job, measured it perfectly, had a great price, and their service and staff were great. I had originally gone with someone else and they were taking forever to come out and measure. Chen Depot handled the job for less money and got it done very quickly. I am glad I went with them. Counters still look great.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrspigglewiggle wrote:
The boss told me my kitchen demo and complete renovation would take 2-3 weeks, which was much faster than most American contractors were quoting.

TLDR; Chen depot has good pricing, but their quality is questionable and workmanship sucks balls.

1. Are they not American citizens?

2. If quality is questionable and workmanship sucks balls, what makes the pricing good?

Posted on: 2015/7/4 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I'll price them out, one bad review does not write them off for me.

Ever see the whiny bitchez on yelp?

Posted on: 2015/7/4 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrspigglewiggle wrote:

I've driven by there business many times and was going to price their counters since I'm in the middle of a kitchen renovation. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the comment.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 23:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/18 19:10
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Long time lurker, registered an account just to give my experience. I used Chen and I regret it.

It's a family business--one brother and sister owns the countertop/flooring/cabinet business on 1-9, which has decent prices and the other brother owns the subcontracting business.

RE Chen Depot: they tried to overcharge me on measurements--they don't act. give you final measurements until like day of delivery or day before when you pay the balance. They were some 10 sq ft over and I demanded they show me the templates and how they calculated. They refused and after fighting, my husband agreed to give them an extra $100 over our own calculations just to get the whole thing over with. Turns out, they screwed up templating and couldn't fit the countertop without knocking a hole in my kitchen wall to shove the end of the countertop into the wall. That was patched up in a crappy way. Now, almost a year later, the granite surface is chipping in some places. To be fair, their granite is very thick, not the Home Depot thin slabs, but I think the rushed and bait-switch method they operate leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

RE Straight Line Construction: this was a clusterf***. The boss told me my kitchen demo and complete renovation would take 2-3 weeks, which was much faster than most American contractors were quoting. Guess what, he actually only allocated 5 days. Corners were cut EVERYWHERE. They left my house a complete mess. Cement was dripped all over the hardwood floors in my hallway and dining room. My kitchen floors are uneven, grout keeps breaking (second and third opinions on how to fix the floors told me that they would need to rip up the whole thing because the tiles are actually moving as you walk on them because they weren't attached correctly, too much wet cement and no thin set or something). Cabinets were installed not in a straight line. Every day was a new fight with the boss and workers about the quality of the work they had done before. At the end, we also just paid up just to get these people out of my house with their half assed job that took several weeks and thousands more to fix.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 17:14

Chen Depot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone done Chen ?

Posted on: 2015/7/3 15:03