Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hit & Run Driver Kills 8-Year-Old - Bostwick Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal

A 21-year-old Jersey City man has been charged with vehicular homicide in connection to an accident that fatally injured an 8-year-old boy on Bostwick Avenue in June last year.

Shaquan Roe is charged with causing the death of Jermaine Woodward Jr. who was struck by a car on Bostwick Avenue between Martin Luther King Drive and Ocean Avenue at about 8 p.m. on June 28, 2015, officials said.

The boy was rushed to Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas Health in critical condition and pronounced dead the next day.

The boy's family told The Jersey Journal that Jermaine's arm, leg and pelvis were fractured. They said he underwent surgery but remained brain-dead.

The charge against Roe is a second degree offense, and he will face five to 10 years in prison if convicted.

When reached by phone today, the boy's father said he was relieved that charges have been filed, but remains frustrated by the pace of the investigation.

"It was a little relief off me, justice has finally come," Jermaine Woodward Sr. said. "I'm glad that they finally locked him up but I don't think it should have took this long...but it's no disrespect to the Jersey City police and the Sheriff's office."

Since the fatal accident, the boy's family has repeatedly insisted that the 8-year-old was the victim of a hit-and-run and that he was struck while standing inside a bike lane. Frustrated that no arrests were made, Jermaine Woodward Sr. vented his discontent during a town hall meeting hosted by Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop in early February.

More

Posted on: 2016/5/15 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
State by State figures on pedestrian accidents - Page 7

http://www.ghsa.org/html/files/pubs/s ... hts/spotlight_ped2014.pdf

As a nation, we are crap at mitigating or reducing road fatalities compared to the rest of world.

http://www.internationaltransportforu ... pub/pdf/14IrtadReport.pdf

This would be great evidence to fast track automated 'google' cars!

Posted on: 2016/2/5 2:11
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
In my youth - I used to kick the crap out of the sides of cars that didn't stop at crosswalks. Perhaps it's time to reintroduce that kind of sport if we get zero enforcement.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Hudson County prosecutors investigating death of Jersey City 8-year-old fatally struck in June

By Tanya Manthey | The Jersey Journal
 February 04, 2016 at 8:32 PM

JERSEY CITY — Hudson County prosecutors are investigating the death 8-year-old Jermaine Woodward Jr., who was fatally struck on Bostwick Avenue in June.

Jermaine's family believes he was killed in a hit-and-run while he was in the bike lane, saying that he was struck by two cars that did not immediately stop. Mayor Steve Fulop and Public Safety Director James Shea said at the time that the initial findings showed there was only one car involved and that the driver stopped.

Today, The Jersey Journal learned that Hudson County prosecutors are investigating the fatal incident. Acting Chief Executive Assistant Prosecutor Gene Rubino said today that the case is pending a grand jury decision and he declined to comment further.

Read more: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... stigating_death_of_8.html

Posted on: 2016/2/5 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Please lets dispense with the race and religious baiting and actually do something! Get the cops out on the street and start giving out tickets. Enforce the speed limit. Enforce pedestrian crossings. Cite reckless drivers. Ticket yellow light runners. Cite double parkers.

Garfield has become an urban freeway but in reality is a packed residential street with many people (and a high percentage of students) crossing every day to get to Richard Street and Danforth Street light rail stations. Lets focus on making their walking commute safer.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
We've got a lot of Jews moving into our community, maybe because of you," Woodward said to Fulop, who is Jewish.

Fulop urged Woodward to speak to prosecutors, who handle suspected homicide cases.

If this guy had any sense he'd want Jews moving into his neighborhood. They will lower the crime rate and make the area nicer to live in.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Jeez, sad tragedy this was, but how does throwing Fulop and Jews into the conversation help the situation? I doubt it was a couple of Hasids drag racing their minivans that hit the poor kid.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
We've got a lot of Jews moving into our community, maybe because of you," Woodward said to Fulop, who is Jewish.

Fulop urged Woodward to speak to prosecutors, who handle suspected homicide cases.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Man confronts Jersey City mayor over probe into 8-year-old son's death

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
February 04, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Woodward is angry, and last night Fulop and Public Safety Director James Shea were his target. In a 10-minute exchange, he accused them of ignoring witness statements and treating his family like they don't matter.

"And you want to be the governor?" Woodward said to Fulop. "How can you be the governor when you can't protect none of your kids?"

At one point Woodward put his head down, overcome with emotion.

"That's OK," an audience member called to him. "Take your time," said another.

Shea and Fulop offered their condolences. Woodward brushed them aside.

"You don't understand nothing," he said. "My son is gone ... don't tell me you understand."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... -year-old_sons_death.html

Posted on: 2016/2/4 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I can understand people speeding on Garfield,

FYI people live on Garfield and I know plenty of people that do, when assholes speed down Garfield especially trucks and motorcycles homes have been known to shake and rattle.Only in the last few years there were at least two hit and runs on Garfield and one was fatal.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Garfield is a completely different type of road to Bostwick, at least the northern part of Garfield up to the gas station/pub.

I can understand people speeding on Garfield, it's not a tight residential street with cars parked on both sides like Bostwick, it's silly that both roads have the same speed limit.
Similarly its bizarre that Montgomery coming down the hill and JFK have the same speed limit as 8th Street and Erie Street.

I anticipate a flaming "you have to do slow everywhere, all streets are dangerous", which is true, but if you apply a 25 limit everywhere, you get the "cry wolf" effect, and nobody pays heed to the limits on roads they are really needed. If people on here are honest with themselves, do you drive 25 on JFK? I don't.

I think that overall safety would be higher if we raised speed limits on some roads, and lowered it on others, Bostwick etc. should have a 20 limit, JFK 40. If not every road is a 20, drivers will pay attention and realise, "wow 20 limit here, this is a residential street I have to slow down".

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
How much more of this do we have to tolerate? Young children mowed down by drivers cutting through residential streets. Remember the tragic loss of this child's precious life, and all the others killed or injured, next time some uninformed individual says speed humps and traffic calming measures cost lives. They claim that these safety measures interfere with access and cause delays in responding. Turns out not only are they wrong, they are dead wrong, as evidenced by this sad loss.

It reminds me of the controversy over the speed humps the City tried to install ? sabotaged by those who didn't want them. How better to make sure the initiative fails than install the speed humps but ignore State regulations for height, markings and signage? And then blame the speed hump for the problems caused by a negligent install. DPW retained the contractor but apparently didn't tell them to follow State mandated requirements for the install. Who at DPW was in charge of that fiasco? And where was the Jersey Journal in following up on that story? A few simple OPRA requests for the contracts and work specifications could have yielded a lot of useful information. Who knows, it might have even saved this child's life. What a farce, and what a terrible, terrible shame.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I drive Garfield almost every day and it is out of control. So many times I have been driving the speed limit and have been passed on the left AND the right! Yet as you point out i have never seen anyone pulled over.

And crosswalks are a joke, nobody ever stops for people here.

Same with double parking on Danforth, very hazardous.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
What a wonderful community we live in, they have surpassed their goal. A little over $11k was raised in one day, thanks to all that gave.

Resized Image

R.I.P. little man.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 10:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
There is a Go Fund Me fund for Jermaine:

Little Jermaine's Funeral Expenses
http://www.gofundme.com/y7rx28?fb_act ... fb_action_types=og.shares

Thanks for posting this. We gave last night.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I'm genuinely surprised this doesn't happen more often. All over JC, drivers will go about their business running red lights, traveling at speeds above the speed limit or completely oblivious to stop signs. And, of course, you also have the polar opposite drivers (the ones stopping for phantom stop signs) and the ones that are complete asshats double parking on single lane roads, or parking across crosswalks or way past corners, blocking the path of pedestrians and the view for drivers in cross streets.

How I wish for for the JCPD to start a traffic enforcement campaign...

Posted on: 2015/7/1 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
So sad, and as I drove down Garfield today, keeping the speed limit in mind, I had several cars tailgating me as I drove the speed limit. Is it worth it to arrive at your destination a minute faster? RIP, he seemed to be a great kid.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
This is why I drive 5 mph under the speed limit in residential areas. The speed limit should be 20 MPH anyway. As I always say, right or wrong, if you kill someone YOUR life changes forever.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Really sad person. How does someone live with themselves after a hit and run and to read the next morning in the papers to see what you've done. Turn yourself in and beg for forgiveness.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
There is a Go Fund Me fund for Jermaine:

Little Jermaine's Funeral Expenses
http://www.gofundme.com/y7rx28?fb_act ... fb_action_types=og.shares

Posted on: 2015/6/30 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Note that the residents of his street quickly built and installed pop-up traffic-calming devices, including:

--a board running across the street, basically a speed bump
--cones and barricades across both edges of the street, basically a "road diet" that narrows the car lane
--signs in big, blood-red capital letters reading "SLOW DOWN."

It's all homemade, but professionally made versions of this stuff is actually used on residential side streets around the world to calm traffic and reduce deaths and injuries.

Apparently the people on Bostwick feel that radically resigning our streets to stop more kids from getting killed is more important than somebody saving 30 seconds driving or parking somewhere. Sounds reasonable to me. Let's get started.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
R.I.P

may God mind his young soul.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is heartbreaking.

I'm very familiar with this stretch of Bostwick. I drove my daughter to Academy I for 3 years and this is my route going back.

It's a very tight and busy street. It's insane that anyone driving down there has enough speed to kill a pedestrian or cyclist.

I hope they apprehend the driver(s).

Posted on: 2015/6/30 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
"Hit" & Run drivers...the new form of murder.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 1:12
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
(Just heartbreaking - my prayers to this boy's family and friends. I hope they find the fleeing coward that took this beautiful child's life away.)

By Caitlin Mota | The Jersey Journal
on June 29, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Resized Image

Dozens of family, friends and neighbors in a tight-knit neighborhood gathered outside of 50 Bostwick Ave. to remember an 8-year-old boy fatally struck on Sunday in a hit and run accident.

Jermaine Woodward Jr. was inside a bike lane looking to cross the street when a car struck him, sending him in the air, the boy's family said. He was then struck again by a second car. The family said the car was speeding and crossed over the bike lane line.

More

Posted on: 2015/6/30 0:34

Hit & Run Driver Kills 8-Year-Old - Bostwick Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
By Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on June 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM

The 8-year-old Jersey City boy who was struck by a hit-and-run driver last night has died, Jersey City officials said this afternoon.

The boy succumbed to his injuries at 11:20 a.m. at Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas Health.

More

Posted on: 2015/6/29 21:27

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017