Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 53

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Progressive Catholic Church in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
A little off topic, and this may be stating the obvious but there seems to be a lot of Catholics in Jersey City. It's a shame the downtown churches (St. Bridget's, St. Peter's and St. Boniface) have closed but alas nothing can be done now. I wish more lapsed Catholics would return to the church and be part of the parish to prevent any future Church closings.

(One of the reason why I'm so pro-development is: the more people living downtown, the more practicing Catholics to support the parishes. But perhaps this view is misguided?)

Ok, back on topic. Good luck Wishful Thinking. I guess the best way would be to try all the recommendations, and them some, and find a church community that you feel most belonging too.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with you all.

You would probably love St. Francis Xavier- though even there, as one poster put it, you might find a Catholic.

As to JC-Man's assertion that the new Fr. Tom is human and approachable, that is fantastic. Theology and politics aside, the old Fr. Tom had zero personality and was a tyrant even if an arch progressive tyrant. I never understood how he had such devoted followers.

I could be wrong, but my brief visit to OLC seemed to indicate a very attenuated Catholicism there. To have a layman "preside" at a "communion service" on a major feast day is not Catholic. As an example, the bulletin encouraged people to pay to reserve Masses to remember their dead. It was explained that many cultures have practices to remember their dead. Conspicuously absent was the Catholic doctrine of purgatory which holds that the dead endure a period of cleansing after life during which our prayers, particularly the Mass, can help them atone for their sins. I think the original poster might definitely find a congenial home there.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 16:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I second (third?) OLC. However, if you're looking for a progressive, vibrant, welcoming Catholic community, The Church of St. Francis Xavier is wonderful. It's on 16th and 6th, a fairly quick PATH ride on Saturday night or Sunday morning. Music is great, ministry to the marginalized is great, plus, it's a beautiful space. It's a Jesuit apostolate.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The current Pope is the best one I've seen but why would you waste your time going to church (Catholic or otherwise)? If it's about belief in god and feeling good, find some way to spend that time helping those in need - i'm pretty sure god would appreciate that more than going to church.

Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I am contemplating finding a church to go to, if not one that's ONA at least one that is reasonably progressive and welcoming to political liberals, gays, people concerned about social/economic justice, etc. Having been raised a Catholic, it is familiar to me (even though I haven't been practicing in decades), and there are doctrinal aspects I like about Catholicism - the importance of faith and deed, as well as the teachings of spiritual leaders, so I'm inclined to stay with it. Like many, I'm particularly impressed by Pope Francis' message.

Any suggestions, or experiences you've had with Catholic Churches in JC or nearby appreciated!

Posted on: 2015/7/2 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
The church loves the sinner but not the sin. Most likely you have a relative who has passed and is praying for you. I suggest you speak with a priest. I also suggest you attend places like Fatima, in Washington NJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXjUjOrX7bo

Posted on: 2015/7/2 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
Well, I think that it's still Fr. Tom, but now Fr. Thomas J. Ciba, V.F, while Tom Iwanowski had been transferred to St. Joseph's in Oradell and then was removed as pastor and hidden for a while because he had allowed Robert Chabak, an accused or adjudicated (not sure which) homosexual predator in the rectory and allowed him access to youth.

It seems that the new Fr. Tom has continued the tenor of the Iwanowski years- a sort of moralistic therapeutic deism. LOL, I remember the NYTimes, during the "ethnic cleansing of the parish, describing the liturgy there as sort of like a Unitarian service. I had a meeting around the corner on the Feast of St. John the Baptist. The web site indicated there was a 12
:30 PM Mass. At 12:30 a guy, about 30 years old, marches up to the sanctuary in a suit and tie and starts presiding. I left. If I want a church of the laity, I'll join the Quakers.

However, in fairness, that is how Catholic liturgy is almost everywhere. So I would strongly recommend that the original poster seeking a progressive parish, that is one that will pretty much be the amen corner for the left flank of the Democratic party while at the same time providing a community that reinterprets the sacraments and the Gospel in a way that makes it palatable to the age, this would be the place to start.

St. Aiden's also would fit the bill. The pastor of Mt. Carmel/St. John's is also a modernist. St. Michael's new priest may be a bit less progressive as is the case with Holy Rosary's priest. I would agree with the other poster who indicated that Episcopal Grace Van Vorst would be the most congenial for the full progressive experience (out gay priests (as opposed to the Catholic ones who are closeted or coy), all dogma save inclusion as optional, open communion, etc. A good portion of OLG are ex Catholics.

The only place you would want to stay away from is St. Anthony's as it seeks orthodoxy in Catholic dogma and morals as well as liturgy. However, I wonder if you might want to test your progressivism at some point against an experience of historic Christianity.

Yvonne, ridiculed and attacked, is merely stating Catholic doctrine (though Fatima is not de fide- it is a private revelation and one may believe or decline to believe in it).

I've been going to OLC for 15 years and you couldn't be more wrong about Fr. Tom Ciba (the 'new Fr. Tom') He's NOT like Iwanowski in that he doesn't try and make you feel guilty or shove Church doctrine down your throat - I find him very easy going in terms of his homilies and demeanor. He has NOT followed the tenor of Iwanowkski - "You WILL burn in Hell if you don't..."

Posted on: 2015/7/2 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! This is very helpful and I am looking forward to the journey.

I have no clue what Yvonne is referring to - then again, I was in high school when I lapsed and doubtless forgot much of what I learned. I forwarded her message to my mom, who is a regular church-goer, and am waiting on a response.

Mao - I'm a little surprised by your comments about liturgy re-packaged for today and left wing friendly congregations. Isn't the word of God timeless? Aren't many of Jesus' teachings beyond liberal in today's Darwinian economy?

Thanks again for responses!

Both Mao and to a lesser extent Yvonne are what might be described as traditionalist Catholics. Mao would like to see many of the changes started in Vatican II reversed. Yvonne is very against "cafeteria Catholics" - you don't get to pick and choose what to believe and what not to believe.

Despite Pope Francis's recent spin - I think you're going to bump into the same traditionalist issues within any Catholic congregation - and as mentioned before - Episcopal Grace Van Vorst may align better with what you term "progressive".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Vatican_Council

Posted on: 2015/7/2 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! This is very helpful and I am looking forward to the journey.

I have no clue what Yvonne is referring to - then again, I was in high school when I lapsed and doubtless forgot much of what I learned. I forwarded her message to my mom, who is a regular church-goer, and am waiting on a response.

Mao - I'm a little surprised by your comments about liturgy re-packaged for today and left wing friendly congregations. Isn't the word of God timeless? Aren't many of Jesus' teachings beyond liberal in today's Darwinian economy?

Thanks again for responses!

Posted on: 2015/7/2 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
There is a pastor I like at St. Anne's in the heights. I don't agree with a distinguishing against conservative or progressive catholic church. It's one church. But I'll say that this pastor communicates Pope Francis' message well. There are three or four priests at the church, and I have no idea their schedule so good luck.

Father Nigel is the Pastor and the other two priests are from St. Peter's University.
http://stannesjc.com/
http://stannesjc.com/aabulletins.htm
http://stannesjc.com/Bulletins/Bul150628B.pdf

Posted on: 2015/7/2 0:08
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:

Yvonne, ridiculed and attacked, is merely stating Catholic doctrine (though Fatima is not de fide- it is a private revelation and one may believe or decline to believe in it).

It's an interesting response to the original poster. That's all.

OP: Hey, anyone know a progressive Catholic Church?

Yvonne: "Even the atheists admitted their saw the Miracle of the Sun and this Miracle was written in the atheist newspaper in 1917."

Us: What???

Posted on: 2015/7/1 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I think that it's still Fr. Tom, but now Fr. Thomas J. Ciba, V.F, while Tom Iwanowski had been transferred to St. Joseph's in Oradell and then was removed as pastor and hidden for a while because he had allowed Robert Chabak, an accused or adjudicated (not sure which) homosexual predator in the rectory and allowed him access to youth.

It seems that the new Fr. Tom has continued the tenor of the Iwanowski years- a sort of moralistic therapeutic deism. LOL, I remember the NYTimes, during the "ethnic cleansing of the parish, describing the liturgy there as sort of like a Unitarian service. I had a meeting around the corner on the Feast of St. John the Baptist. The web site indicated there was a 12
:30 PM Mass. At 12:30 a guy, about 30 years old, marches up to the sanctuary in a suit and tie and starts presiding. I left. If I want a church of the laity, I'll join the Quakers.

However, in fairness, that is how Catholic liturgy is almost everywhere. So I would strongly recommend that the original poster seeking a progressive parish, that is one that will pretty much be the amen corner for the left flank of the Democratic party while at the same time providing a community that reinterprets the sacraments and the Gospel in a way that makes it palatable to the age, this would be the place to start.

St. Aiden's also would fit the bill. The pastor of Mt. Carmel/St. John's is also a modernist. St. Michael's new priest may be a bit less progressive as is the case with Holy Rosary's priest. I would agree with the other poster who indicated that Episcopal Grace Van Vorst would be the most congenial for the full progressive experience (out gay priests (as opposed to the Catholic ones who are closeted or coy), all dogma save inclusion as optional, open communion, etc. A good portion of OLG are ex Catholics.

The only place you would want to stay away from is St. Anthony's as it seeks orthodoxy in Catholic dogma and morals as well as liturgy. However, I wonder if you might want to test your progressivism at some point against an experience of historic Christianity.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Someone else beat me to it: for a (somewhat) progressive Catholic church, with a slant towards a younger congregation, I think OLC should fit the bill. The few times I have been there, I found it to be very welcoming. Alas, I recently heard from a frequent parishioner that the younger priest that would hold Mass on Sunday evenings is no longer there. Perhaps that was the Fr. Tom mentioned upthread.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If you were raised Catholic then you should know there is the Church Militant, the people still alive on earth, the church suffering, the people who are in purgatory but will be in heaven one day and the church triumph, those who went directly to heaven or were released from purgatory. The other option is hell. My suggestion is to speak to a priest. I also suggest you read the stories about Fatima. Even the atheists admitted their saw the Miracle of the Sun and this Miracle was written in the atheist newspaper in 1917.
what

Just Yvonne being Yvonne...

As a recovering Catholic and now a godless evil liberal atheist I find Yvonne amusing (in small doses)

Posted on: 2015/7/1 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BookGal wrote:
I found Our Lady of Czestochowa to be relatively progressive and very welcoming. They, as part of the Catholic Church, don't support gay marriage, but they are definitely welcoming to gay people. The pastor, Fr. Tom, is really nice as well, and has a focus on doing good works for the poor in our community.

Their website is here

Father Tom is no longer at OLC, he's at Our Lady of Mercy in Greenville.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 20:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
I found Our Lady of Czestochowa to be relatively progressive and very welcoming. They, as part of the Catholic Church, don't support gay marriage, but they are definitely welcoming to gay people. The pastor, Fr. Tom, is really nice as well, and has a focus on doing good works for the poor in our community.

Their website is here

Posted on: 2015/7/1 20:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/5 12:37
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If you were raised Catholic then you should know there is the Church Militant, the people still alive on earth, the church suffering, the people who are in purgatory but will be in heaven one day and the church triumph, those who went directly to heaven or were released from purgatory. The other option is hell. My suggestion is to speak to a priest. I also suggest you read the stories about Fatima. Even the atheists admitted their saw the Miracle of the Sun and this Miracle was written in the atheist newspaper in 1917.

what are you talking about?

Posted on: 2015/7/1 19:55
Censorship is for pussies!!!!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
what

NOT funny guys, for your discretions you are hereby banished here:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/1 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
what

Posted on: 2015/7/1 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
There is a pastor I like at St. Anne's in the heights. I don't agree with a distinguishing against conservative or progressive catholic church. It's one church. But I'll say that this pastor communicates Pope Francis' message well. There are three or four priests at the church, and I have no idea their schedule so good luck.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
what

Posted on: 2015/7/1 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
St Aedans (now owned by St. Peters U) does a student mass but it is open to all. It is on Sunday at 5:00 but
it is only during the school year. It is a VERY welcoming experience (the priest is very progressive and incredibly nice) and their choir is amazing.

Also, St. Rocco's has a mass on Sundays at 6:00 p.m. It is up around 40th street in Union City. It's a small Church - very welcoming - down to Earth.

This is coming from someone who will (and has) walked out of Church when conservative politics becomes part of the mass, so I think these are what you are looking for.

Best of luck.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Try Grace DTJC its not Catholic but its the most progressive church I ever been to.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/1 16:32

Progressive Catholic Church in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I am contemplating finding a church to go to, if not one that's ONA at least one that is reasonably progressive and welcoming to political liberals, gays, people concerned about social/economic justice, etc. Having been raised a Catholic, it is familiar to me (even though I haven't been practicing in decades), and there are doctrinal aspects I like about Catholicism - the importance of faith and deed, as well as the teachings of spiritual leaders, so I'm inclined to stay with it. Like many, I'm particularly impressed by Pope Francis' message.

Any suggestions, or experiences you've had with Catholic Churches in JC or nearby appreciated!

Posted on: 2015/7/1 15:59

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017