Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Journal Square Redesign Left to Facebook
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I was wondering how the old plaza was going to fit in with the new towers being built. I guess this answers my question.

Posted on: 2015/12/3 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/3 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
the Grove Street PATH Plaza -

"Jersey City?s Grove Street Plaza was named a Great Place in New Jersey this week by the New Jersey chapter of the American Planning Association, which called the plaza ?a great example? of what can happen when residents involve themselves in city planning."

not sure this is heading to a similar success. with the adjacent very tall buildings, this area will be a wind tunnel, even more so than it it was when the existing fountain splashed all over the place.

not sure why the kiosk remains unused. but any redesign could use open space, and access to power and water. it will also likely be very windy and needs some mitigation.

oh, btw, a developer paid for the Grove Street PATH Plaza, but the public and city determined the design.

this is a significant element of the city, no reason to go half ass.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
How can you vote on this without knowing the cost?

Somehow I have a feeling that the second option will be far more costly than the first.

And who exactly will be receiving this money? A firm that could help Fulop's governor run?

"The redesign of the plaza will be paid for by the developers, Jersey City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said."

Thanks, didn't know this. I wonder why the survey so heavily pushes the new option, and fails to consider any other choices, if the City is supposedly disinterested?

Something doesn't add up.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Somehow I have a feeling that the second option will be far more costly than the first.

And who exactly will be receiving this money? A firm that could help Fulop's governor run?

"The redesign of the plaza will be paid for by the developers, Jersey City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said."

Posted on: 2015/6/30 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

That's where "value engineering" comes in. Asphalt hex pavers are substituted for stone, etc.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Let me understand this, the city is asking input from the public on Journal Square but did not ask input from public on creating a historic district. There was no survey from people in Wards B and part of F

There were several public hearings on the designation, and doubtless a lot of written testimony. As with historic district designations in NYC, there is no requirement for all or any of the property owners to support the designation.

Design review on the other hand is probably not binding, and it makes sense for the city to use any number of forums to gather input.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/30 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Let me understand this, the city is asking input from the public on Journal Square but did not ask input from public on creating a historic district. There was no survey from people in Wards B and part of F

Posted on: 2015/6/30 1:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
The current "fountain" is a disgrace.

I've been passing through there on a daily basis since 2007, and not sure I recall ever seeing water in the "fountain." The planters get refreshed about once a year, and look good for a couple weeks - that's it.

If we go forward with a "fountain" option, the city needs to assure that there are adequate funds to keep it running. If there's any question about funding for operations/upkeep, better to go with an option that is simpler, less expensive - i.e. the city can maintain it going forward, and not have it look broken/neglected, like the current memorial.

PS snow removal around the current "fountain" in the winter is also a disgrace. The PA runs a pickup truck with a salt spreader in circles around their part of the plaza, but on the other part it's pretty much "dig your own ditch" - trudge through the slush and hope you don't fall down. I'm surprised that the city hasn't been sued into dealing with this in a more responsible manner.

Posted on: 2015/6/27 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
I voted for the old one to rebel at the way it was browbeating you to vote for the new one.

Join me and make the old one win!

Robin.

Brilliant idea!! And let's use the comments box to tell them how much we hate their bs, leading surveys that really don't want resident input. All they really want is for us to support their "brilliant" ideas cloyed in a survey. Data collection, my a$$...

Posted on: 2015/6/27 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I voted for the old one to rebel at the way it was browbeating you to vote for the new one.

Join me and make the old one win!

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/6/26 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Just took the survey. I agree that it's a bit leading - this study would never pass peer review ;)

At any rate, the new design is better overall, but they should be able to find a way of keeping the old fountain. Even if they have to move it, there's got to be room there somewhere.

Posted on: 2015/6/26 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm really upset with how this is being done. Someone at the city is pushing to discard the old monument and go for the new age one. They'll use survey money/facebook questionnaire as part of the justification. That's BS. There should be formal public meetings on what should be done, but to me it's already been decided. Shame.

Posted on: 2015/6/26 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
jj comment:
Quote:
As an old-timer I would have to go with the new design. (see we like to move forward also) It looks great the only problem may be that it gives more seating (and showers) to the homeless to hangout. The developers should take the pieces from the current fountain and move them to the boulevard median that separates the Loews and the Path Station. Spread them out along the whole median. It would look nice.

PS-I don?t like the idea of voting online. Most of the property owners around Journal Square who stuck it out for decades (listening to the past politicians BS about the Square?s rebirth) are not connected and will never get a say. You can?t just ?leave them behind?. We are ALL in this together?.old-timers, new comers, hipsters,and ?yuppie scum? (lol).

Posted on: 2015/6/26 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
"As our city moves forward, and as we continue to develop Journal Square into a world-class destination, we want to ensure that this plaza reflects the interests and views of the city and its residents," Mayor Steve Fulop said.

What does "world-class destination" even mean? Visitors will arrive by the tens of thousands every day like they do in Paris or at the Vatican, Disney, or Yosemite? Silly. The hyperbole never ends.

Posted on: 2015/6/26 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
That memorial (and the way it's maintained) is shameful and depressing, but it always makes me think of the folly of establishing "permanent" monuments. Over time, people forget their significance and they become pigeon roosts. This being Jersey City, or course, that happened within a couple of years.

Posted on: 2015/6/26 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(jj piece)

Jersey City seeks feedback on Plaza redesign

By Caitlin Mota | The Jersey Journal
on June 26, 2015 at 3:00 AM

Jersey City has created a survey to gather input on the redesign of Journal Square Plaza.

The survey, available until Wednesday. asks respondents if they want to see the plaza redesigned around the existing 9/11 Memorial Fountain or see a new memorial created. The survey also allows people to comment on the redesign.

City officials say a new memorial would incorporate the names on the existing 9/11 memorial as well as a Circle of Honor, where notable Jersey City residents are recognized.

"As our city moves forward, and as we continue to develop Journal Square into a world-class destination, we want to ensure that this plaza reflects the interests and views of the city and its residents," Mayor Steve Fulop said.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ty_seeks_feedback_on.html

Posted on: 2015/6/26 12:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/14 1:53
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you so much for forwarding this..just voted. As both a resident and homeowner (bought 7 yrs ago when I was told it was "up and coming"), it depresses me to walk to the JSQ Path every day. Actually it angers me at this point..seems like things are moving in the right direction but it's hard for me to believe it. I'm going to choose to be positive about it at this point...or lose my mind!

Posted on: 2015/6/26 12:36

Journal Square Redesign Left to Facebook
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The city is apparently conducting a very limited survey via Facebook to replace the plaza and fountain in Journal Square.

The existing fountain when it was operating was not very attractive (subjective) and was more like dumping buckets of water. It has been "transformed" into a combined "Wall of Honor" and "9/11 Memorial Fountain."

The City has now put out an extremely limited design choice to change it, a choice of one alternative in a very leading survey (on Facebook.)

Given the city's promotion of its residents creativeness, why not solicit much broader design ideas and not put forth a predetermined design. Is this the way the "best mid-sized city" goes about designing its "heart."

Mayor Fulop Announces Online Survey Seeking Residents? Feedback on Design of Journal Square Plaza as Developer Seeks to Improve Public Space as Part of Site Plan

Residents to Vote on Whether to Maintain Existing Memorial and Fountain or Select a New Design for Plaza with Water Wall and Reflecting Pool as well as a Re-envisioned Memorial

Facebook post - https://www.facebook.com/JerseyCityNJ/posts/10154012303288327

Survey - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DGSYXZM

Posted on: 2015/6/26 2:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017