Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: TRD: Jersey City: The new Brooklyn?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/26 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
If the last JC Fridays is any example hit the east side of the Heights it sure feels like Williamsburg there.

Where do they hide the other 29 days of the month? I've lived in the new the Heights for 6 years and have seen maybe 6 hipsters, tops. Or is it the events in the Heights are becoming a "destination"?

It is mostly the events, but then again isn't that always the attraction ? Three strong neighborhood associations, a street fair, Live at The Lumberyard, The farmer's market, The Reservoir, Mod Cup coffee, 942 Summit, Yoga in the Park, and many other, places, people, and events. I see more and more bikers cruising the Heights lately as well. The Heights is spread out so you might not catch the "atmosphere" as you would in Billyburg or Downtown J.C. but it's out there.

I find it hilarious that in another post you said you would reject Indian tenants for being Indian but you're advertising your neighborhood food featuring a form of exercise invented by Indians.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 1:41
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
If the last JC Fridays is any example hit the east side of the Heights it sure feels like Williamsburg there.

Where do they hide the other 29 days of the month? I've lived in the new the Heights for 6 years and have seen maybe 6 hipsters, tops. Or is it the events in the Heights are becoming a "destination"?

It is mostly the events, but then again isn't that always the attraction ? Three strong neighborhood associations, a street fair, Live at The Lumberyard, The farmer's market, The Reservoir, Mod Cup coffee, 942 Summit, Yoga in the Park, and many other, places, people, and events. I see more and more bikers cruising the Heights lately as well. The Heights is spread out so you might not catch the "atmosphere" as you would in Billyburg or Downtown J.C. but it's out there.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 23:02
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/18 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Why do some people revel in JC being compared to Brooklyn, which is 5 times the land area and 10 times the population, and then quibble endlessly about where bergen ends and lafayette begins, etc. Is there a crosswalk that shows what neighborhoods are comparable? I'd like to visit Harsimus Cove's big brother to the east; what's its name?

Posted on: 2015/6/18 22:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

oh no, let me guess......

lame ass indy rock, and a beard and flannel crowd.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/18 10:18
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in this city for the past 15 years....and for 15 years, it's always been the same question.....I hear Jersey City is the new Brooklyn, this true?

ugh.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 4:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
In 30+ years I've never encountered the UGH,you live in Jersey comment.

Are you serious? It's a regular taunt by hockey and soccer fans. It used to be used in basketball as well.

I'd be astonished if you've actually never heard it. Heck, I've heard it about three times in the past month...

I'm as serious as a rock hard lump in your left testicle. I can't imagine anyone I might encounter socially commenting negatively on where someone lives.

BTW, in my previous post 'living gracefully' should read 'living graciously'

Posted on: 2015/6/16 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
In 30+ years I've never encountered the UGH,you live in Jersey comment.

Are you serious? It's a regular taunt by hockey and soccer fans. It used to be used in basketball as well.

I'd be astonished if you've actually never heard it. Heck, I've heard it about three times in the past month...

Posted on: 2015/6/16 14:23
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:

Many of the brownstones that people were buying in Brooklyn were built 60 foot deep (many in DTJC are 35 about). 18 years ago, taxes were already higher in JC even for a smaller house. In Brooklyn, you could raise a family on two floors of a four story house, live gracefully and have a rental income. With few exceptions the houses in DTJC were crappy by comparison and required compromises. I moved here because I worked in Morris County and stayed here because I changed jobs to one in lower Manhattan. In 30+ years I've never encountered the UGH,you live in Jersey comment. i do get the WOW you own a house and the I've heard great things about your neighborhood, at least once a week.

My circle tends to have a lot of the well-funded 30-something finance / corporate types. So I do get my share of blank stares when I tell them where I live. Until they come here and enjoy all that DTJC has to offer. The biggest hurdles are the word "jersey" in the name of the city (Hoboken doesn't have this problem) and the crappy service quality of the PATH.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
But the thing that's so mindblowing is that people have all completely forgotten how, 15 years ago, people didn't move to NYC to live in Brooklyn, either.

I disagree. We moved out of Manhattan in 18 years ago, and at that time Park Slope and the areas surrounding Downtown Brooklyn were already significantly more expensive than DTJC. At the time I attributed it to the "I live in NYC" effect.

Many of the brownstones that people were buying in Brooklyn were built 60 foot deep (many in DTJC are 35 about). 18 years ago, taxes were already higher in JC even for a smaller house. In Brooklyn, you could raise a family on two floors of a four story house, live gracefully and have a rental income. With few exceptions the houses in DTJC were crappy by comparison and required compromises. I moved here because I worked in Morris County and stayed here because I changed jobs to one in lower Manhattan. In 30+ years I've never encountered the UGH,you live in Jersey comment. i do get the WOW you own a house and the I've heard great things about your neighborhood, at least once a week.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

people rather live in sketchy hoods paying inflated rents than live in JC.

Many people also eat McDonalds and are certain they are injesting human food.

Downtown is now full and the other parts will fill in a few more years.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
There are loads of people moving to NYC over the past 5 years who would rather, all else equal, live in Billyburg than Manhattan. That sounds insane to me, and completely inconceivable 18 years ago, but things change.

100% true. I have many friends that are enduring insane subway commutes and less than desirable neighborhoods just so they can say they live in Brooklyn. I think it is SILLY but, like others have pointed out, Brooklyn is now a "destination" and people rather live in sketchy hoods paying inflated rents than live in JC.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I disagree. We moved out of Manhattan in 18 years ago, and at that time Park Slope and the areas surrounding Downtown Brooklyn were already significantly more expensive than DTJC. At the time I attributed it to the "I live in NYC" effect.

Oh, of course there's an "I live in NYC" effect that exists, but that doesn't really change my point. Brooklyn only recently became a destination onto itself, while 18 years ago, it (Park Slope) was mainly, as DTJC is in many ways now, a more liveable and less expensive yet still very close alternative to Manhattan.

There are loads of people moving to NYC over the past 5 years who would rather, all else equal, live in Billyburg than Manhattan. That sounds insane to me, and completely inconceivable 18 years ago, but things change.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
But the thing that's so mindblowing is that people have all completely forgotten how, 15 years ago, people didn't move to NYC to live in Brooklyn, either.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 20:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
[quote]
brewster wrote:

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner. Some people didn't forget...they just don't know.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Like theres no crime in Brooklyn ?

People might move to NYC for work, but they quickly figure out that Manhattan is outrageously expensive.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

JC's taxes aren't outrageously high, they're comparable to most other NYC surrounding cities & towns. NYC's are ridiculously low, at least for small residential properties. The last part above is the truth, people don't move from Podunk to live in "Jersey", they've live 10 to a 1 bedroom in Brooklyn first.

I mean, NYCs are ridiculously low on a per-dollar basis, but pretty similar to DTJC on a per-square-foot basis. They just choose to use an income tax as well, so can charge lower property tax. There are other factors at work there, as well.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Jersey City won't be the next Brooklyn until they lower the crime rate and the outrageous taxes. Oh and it's in New Jersey so it's never going to be the next Brooklyn because most people don't move to NYC to live in New Jersey.

JC's taxes aren't outrageously high, they're comparable to most other NYC surrounding cities & towns. NYC's are ridiculously low, at least for small residential properties. The last part above is the truth, people don't move from Podunk to live in "Jersey", they've live 10 to a 1 bedroom in Brooklyn first.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Comments says it all.

Ed ? 2 hours ago
Jersey City won't be the next Brooklyn until they lower the crime rate and the outrageous taxes. Oh and it's in New Jersey so it's never going to be the next Brooklyn because most people don't move to NYC to live in New Jersey.

baxtyre ? 5 days ago
one would hope before Mana Contemporary expands to include 5 restaurants and a hotel, they could figure out a way to be OPEN ON THE WEEKENDS! The space is amazing and a great move for Jersey City, but Mana's got some serious operational issues to figure out.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 17:44

TRD: Jersey City: The new Brooklyn?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
http://therealdeal.com/issues_article ... ey-city-the-new-brooklyn/

I would posit that it's not. It's just different. Always was and always will be.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 17:38

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017