Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
179 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 179

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: How can I fight this parking ticket?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
I've posted this previously, but in the hope it helps...

Reminds me of a notice I received in the mail from Hoboken a few years back ? doubling a fine because I hadn't paid a ticket for allegedly parking at an expired meter. Problem was I hadn't received the original ticket because I hadn't driven, let alone parked, on the street written on the ticket. Although I was ready to prove I was 45 miles away at work at the time it wasn't needed. When I went to court the prosecutor never allowed me to appear before the judge. As I began to explain the situation before appearing, he cut me off grabbing the ticket out of my hand. After looking at it for a nanosecond, he said ?I can't enforce this ? there's no parking meter number.? It just seemed like a well-oiled attempt at revenue raising.

So, check that every box on the ticket has been filled out correctly. I am no expert on this, but if you do a careful Google search you can find a good amount of information about tickets. And even some information about the original ticket online, if I am not mistaken.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Aren't tickets at that time of the morning usually written by JCPD? You may be able to get a copy of the original summons written by the cop, if that is the case. Perhaps it was keyed in wrong when you didn't appear and your car came up? It's a stretch, I know, but well worth investigating a bit more.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2015/6/17 19:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/29 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the replies so far!

We don't have teenagers in the house and we were both home and in bed when the ticket was given. It was given at 3am for double parking.

The only think I can think is a record from our cell phone providers showing we were home, but again that doesn't mean we weren't out driving the car.

I'll give the parking authority a call in the off chance they took a picture.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Call the parking authority. In my experience, they take a picture of the car at the time of the ticketing.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I'd ask - are you sure the ticket was issued at night? That's rare - most tickets are issued during street cleaning hours - 9am-6pm.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mandalazy wrote:
Hoping folks have some suggestions here! Back in April, I received a Failure to Appear notice in the mail for a parking ticket. Having never received a ticket, I looked up the address for the violation. It's a neighborhood I've not been in. And I remember that night. Both of the licensed drivers in my household were home and asleep at the time.

I showed up to court to explain, but I have to go to trial. The ticket correctly lists the make and model of my car. My first thought was that the license plate was keyed in incorrectly, but not sure how the make and model matches? Unless the license plate number pulls in the make and model from my registration?

I'm happy to pay fines where I was in the wrong, but I'd like to fight this one. Any ideas? This would be my first time in traffic court.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

The judges in JC traffic court are pretty sympathetic - but you need to prove, with evidence, that you were home (as well as anyone who may have operated your vehicle). Evidence needs to be printed out and presented to the judge to support your argument. "I was home in bed," in my opinion, is not sufficient evidence.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Where were the non-licensed drivers in your house that night? Do you have teenagers?

Posted on: 2015/6/17 16:37

How can I fight this parking ticket?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/29 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
Hoping folks have some suggestions here! Back in April, I received a Failure to Appear notice in the mail for a parking ticket. Having never received a ticket, I looked up the address for the violation. It's a neighborhood I've not been in. And I remember that night. Both of the licensed drivers in my household were home and asleep at the time.

I showed up to court to explain, but I have to go to trial. The ticket correctly lists the make and model of my car. My first thought was that the license plate was keyed in incorrectly, but not sure how the make and model matches? Unless the license plate number pulls in the make and model from my registration?

I'm happy to pay fines where I was in the wrong, but I'd like to fight this one. Any ideas? This would be my first time in traffic court.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Posted on: 2015/6/17 15:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017