Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Has anyone else experienced Indian upstairs neighbors with heavy feet?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I don't see why anyone would take offense to that statement. It is what it is.

Quote:

belindiam wrote:
Assuming that you can benefit from having a white person around is true in many cases. Catching a cab at night for example.

This in rely to "Did you pay said white person? That's racist to assume that you could benefit from another person's race. Hopefully you got one of these polished looking white people with combed hair and a collared shirt, maybe a pair of slacks and loafers ? because if you didn't and ended up with one of these other kinds of white people that drives a pickup truck and shops at Walmart who know's how that would have turned out."

Posted on: 2015/6/17 22:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/26 0:48
Group:
Registered Users
Assuming that you can benefit from having a white person around is true in many cases. Catching a cab at night for example.

This in rely to "Did you pay said white person? That's racist to assume that you could benefit from another person's race. Hopefully you got one of these polished looking white people with combed hair and a collared shirt, maybe a pair of slacks and loafers ? because if you didn't and ended up with one of these other kinds of white people that drives a pickup truck and shops at Walmart who know's how that would have turned out."

Posted on: 2015/6/17 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

belindiam wrote:
It took up to reply number 13 to bring up the smell of curry. That used to be the go to for not wanting Indian neighbors. How interesting to see heavy feet being thrown in the mix.

I guess what my husband said years ago when we were looking for a condo still counts: 'it's always best to take somebody white with you if want to rent or buy."

I told my wife about this thread, as she was making a curry! She said the curry smell would be a point in their favor. We once had a tenant of Indian heritage who was a gourmet chef and would hold elaborate dinner parties.

Personally, I love Indian curry (both the smell and the taste), but I know many people who absolutely hate it. Not really sure why, other than they just don't like it.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 19:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to hear that.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

belindiam wrote:
It took up to reply number 13 to bring up the smell of curry. That used to be the go to for not wanting Indian neighbors. How interesting to see heavy feet being thrown in the mix.

I guess what my husband said years ago when we were looking for a condo still counts: 'it's always best to take somebody white with you if want to rent or buy."

I told my wife about this thread, as she was making a curry! She said the curry smell would be a point in their favor. We once had a tenant of Indian heritage who was a gourmet chef and would hold elaborate dinner parties.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

belindiam wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

belindiam wrote:

Did you pay said white person? That's racist to assume that you could benefit from another person's race. Hopefully you got one of these polished looking white people with combed hair and a collared shirt, maybe a pair of slacks and loafers ? because if you didn't and ended up with one of these other kinds of white people that drives a pickup truck and shops at Walmart who know's how that would have turned out.

Just wanted to be clear that you didn't assume all white people were good bargaining chips.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
You seemed to have forgotten your post (#10) where in true heights form, you show the kind of person you are. Your mother must be proud of you - NOT!

Quote:

heights wrote:
It may very well be a cultural thing. My neighbor has the same complaint, she had to ask them to leave. And by all means profile ! Didn't mother tell you to keep your guard up ? If something seems "foreign" to you act on it.

The rotten apple does not fall far from the tree... just saying.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
You seemed to have forgotten your post (#10) where in true heights form, you show the kind of person you are. Your mother must be proud of you - NOT!

Quote:

heights wrote:
It may very well be a cultural thing. My neighbor has the same complaint, she had to ask them to leave. And by all means profile ! Didn't mother tell you to keep your guard up ? If something seems "foreign" to you act on it.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
I can't decide who is douchier, the OP or Heights.....

I'm not even in this thread and you snuck me into the mix. Well I might as well chime in then. It's funny that "lucky" number 13 has the first mention of curry. Would you Asif take in a tenant known to have a typical odor that you could not tolerate just to be PC ? It is offending not only to put up with it but to have to tell the offending party they are being offensive. And that includes the stomping of feet. Adults should know better. Hopefully it is a two family house then the landlord can get rid of them with ease.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 8:54
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
I can't decide who is douchier, the OP or Heights.....

Posted on: 2015/6/17 7:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/26 0:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/16 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

darenot wrote:
We rent the upper floor of our house, and the latest occupants are a very nice Indian couple who have been great tenants, except that they walk like elephants. We tried politely a number of times to speak to them about it, to no avail. They said they would try, but apparently they simply don't have a "inside walk", where you don't slam all your weight on your heels. They shake the whole house and rattle the lighting fixtures, even when walking after midnight.

A few months ago I was taking with some guys who said they had had an Indian roommate who had the same issue, the landlord gave them a hard time about this person "walking heavily". So is this really a cultural trait?

Thy're now leaving (we did not force them out) and I don't like the idea of profiling new tenants based on this, but I can't take years more of a rattling house, and don't even want to respond to inquiries from Indians about the apartment.

Any experiences out there?

1. The specific details laid out here along with the questions on cultural traits are hilarious. They're freakin' walking.

2. I hate people like you. Seriously. You live in an apartment which means neighbor noise if you don't have thick walls. I understand complaining if they were blaring music/throwing parties late at night, but they're WALKING. If I were your tenants I would absolutely tell you to screw off. If you don't like the sound then I suggest you invest in soundproofing or stop trying to rent your place. By the way, the ultimate culprit here isn't their walking, it is the fact that your house is crap and you have unreasonable expectations.

3. No wonder they left. Can anyone imagine a LL that gives you crap over stuff like this? I hope they leave an online review somewhere to permit a quick Google search to filter out most good tenants.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 18:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
I had upstairs neighbors with a squeaky bed. I always knew when they were doing it. It never lasted longer that 10 minutes.

Sorry Susan, didn't know you can hear it.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
I had upstairs neighbors with a squeaky bed. I always knew when they were doing it. It never lasted longer that 10 minutes.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

As for walking like an elephant, do you know in certain cultures that this is considered a compliment? Has to do with how quietly & gently an elephant can go through the forest without much noise or damage considering its size. Just one of those tidbits I read somewhere.

like how when people tell me I eat like a bird, they're pointing out that I consume at least half of my body weight daily.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
While the place is empty, go upstairs and walk around with a pair of shoes on and someone listen underneath and then vice a versa.

It is probably noisy as hell.

Shitty or old floors are like that in old or porrly made buildings, one reason smart landlords live on the top floors when occupying their own buildings.

One of the only sensible posts in this thread. My tenant weighs 110 lbs soaking wet & you would think Godzilla was stomping through.

I'm fostering a trio of kittens - kittens! - total weight about 6 pounds. When I'm in the room below them, I'd swear they were bowling.

And before you ask, these cats are shoeless, and not of Indian descent.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
darenot (oh, yes you did dare)

My previous landlord had it written in the lease for the upper unit that they had to put down an area rug, could not wear shoes, and had to walk toe-to-heal.

The idiocy of the thread - the resolution is entirely within the OP's means. Fix the apartment. Put something in the lease. Do something other than whinge and seek validation on a public message board.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
darenot (oh, yes you did dare)

My previous landlord had it written in the lease for the upper unit that they had to put down an area rug, could not wear shoes, and had to walk toe-to-heal.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 13:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 3:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Actually Asians, including Indians, take shoes off while indoors so your story is most likely fake. Cool story though.

Not fake (why would anyone fake a post like this?), but you're right about the shoes. I've contemplated whether the longtime previous tenant always wore slippers or something. I bet she did. She was up at 5 and didn't ever wake me even though the kitchen is above our bedroom. Bare heels hitting hard can be worse than sneakers or other soft shoes. And I did install cork padding under the laminate foor exactly for this reason. Insulation between the floors doesn't help much, the joists will transmit the sound very well.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Actually Asians, including Indians, take shoes off while indoors so your story is most likely fake. Cool story though.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 3:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
I too believe it's okay to laugh at the buffoonish prejudice on display here. Best response is further satire as in this textbook demonstration:

Quote:
NewportNJ write:
I suggest you check the topography of India, if the whole country sits 50 feet lower than the rest of the world, then maybe you are onto something. Quick, do your investigation & study the effects, your Nobel Prize is waiting!

Posted on: 2015/6/16 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
OP - Darenot. Get a life. Seriously. Fell out of my chair laughing at your idiocy.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 1:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/18 4:10
Group:
Registered Users
The noise issue you mentioned is not unheard of. It varies but I doubt there will be ever be a case of zero sound in your present state.

may I suggest, that b4 you rent the place to new tenants, why dont you install insulation which will mitigate the sound. It will be a good & sound investment which will be paid off in a few months time thru renting the place. And you will never have to worry again.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
very funny, but sad thread when race is suggested to be the culprit to your problem - the tip here is to get the top apartment next time and if you get a lower one, to ask what the floor surface is above you to mitigate this problem when buying or renting.

Posted on: 2015/6/16 0:19

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2015/6/16 0:39:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Dude, natives had lived in these territories for tens of thousands of years before your stinky kind landed.

You're as "Foreign" as anyone around. I should probably keep an eye on you and inform Homeland Security of any suspicious behaviour.

Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/16 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
This thread is hilarious, Heights and Yvonne (surprised she hasn't commented yet) would be a great deal couple together!

Posted on: 2015/6/15 23:47
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Well, the forum politically correct, racist, homophobic, wussy has weighed in on the matter. Can you see the "For Rent" sign in his house.....
For Rent:

2BR, EIK, LR, DR, 1B

Only WASPS with proof of US residency dating back to Plymouth Rock need apply.

Must be PC, ride bike, non smoker, non drinker, androgynous dork, afraid of own shadow.

Serious inquiries only.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
While the place is empty, go upstairs and walk around with a pair of shoes on and someone listen underneath and then vice a versa.

Shitty or old floors are like that in old or porrly made buildings, one reason smart landlords live on the top floors when occupying their own buildings.

One of the only sensible posts in this thread. My tenant weighs 110 lbs soaking wet & you would think Godzilla was stomping through.

As for walking like an elephant, do you know in certain cultures that this is considered a compliment? Has to do with how quietly & gently an elephant can go through the forest without much noise or damage considering its size. Just one of those tidbits I read somewhere.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/15 22:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 3:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewportNJ wrote:
Why don't you racists rename this thread to "Why we hate our Indian neighbors"?

Why do you jump to the conclusion I hate anybody? My tenants are very nice. I'm just glad to see them go, and want to avoid a repeat. Do you deny that of the wonderful variety of people on this earth that we are not all identical in behavior? I've noticed before in my life people of different backgrounds even in the US sometimes walk differently. Why should it be racist and outlandish to suggest perhaps Indians might also? Unless you subscribe to the notion that noticing any difference among people is inherently racist.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 22:17

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017