Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pershing Field Pool
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A number of concerned parents are fed up with the current state of Pershing Field and say the poor conditions, specifically at the park's playground, pose a safety hazard to the young children who play there.

Story

Posted on: 2015/6/15 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
I usually don't go there on weekday mornings - Mao is more familiar. But, re: the summer weekend members-only hour(s) - this is NOT underway right now. In the past, they started sometime during July. Last year, Rec Dept. really screwed up and only started in mid-August and only after being pressured by members calling.

*** Encourage all members to call the Recreations Department / Ryan Strothers now and ask when they will begin "members-only" weekend hours -- Otherwise, I'm sure they will try to avoid the extra hours like they did last year - (201)547-5003 ****

During weekend regular hours (Noon - 5PM), half the pool is set up for lap swimming, half is set up for general swim. With the current heat conditions and until the all the public pools open, expect it to be pretty ugly (crowded and dirtier).

Posted on: 2015/6/12 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Well first thing in the morning they usually have lane lines in for the entire pool since it is peak lap swimming.

I think in the morning during the summer only members are allowed on weekends so it is not a madhouse.

Not to sound like a broken record but the problem with the pool is that it is grossly overheated and kept at between 84 and 88 degrees (it should be 78 to 82). I have been complaining about this since before the flood. I used to get some response but now it seems that Gerry is in control and the heat is set for the comfort of little children having lessons and old people doing water aerobics.

The heater gets turned off in the summer- however, as of last week it was still on.

Btw, you know that Johnston Ave has lap swimming and is perfect in the morning.s

Posted on: 2015/6/11 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Couple corrections regarding JC Dweller's post- There is an entry fee for the pool, varying from $3-$5, depending on weekday/weekend. The membership just allows you to not pay for entry fee. In effect, with the membership, you are paying ahead and/or saving some money if you swim several times a week regularly. The "early hours" for members is not accurate, except that during the summer, there might be an extra "members-only" hour on weekends. In past years, the "member only" weekend hours were great - started during July and ran through Labor Day and were from 9AM to Noon. Last year, the Recreations Department in their vast wisdom, basically resisted do summer members-only weekend hours and finally gave us 1 hour (11AM to Noon) after being pressured by members -- but by the time they finally did so, the summer was almost over. And yes, I have a big gripe with this issue and Rec. Director, Ryan Strothers. Hopefully, he will be more responsive to members this summer.

It is just a pool (no fitness equipment). However, there are some fitness classes that are run out of the Pershing Field Community Center -- Also an art classs. You can get brochures on these programs at the pool. There has also been some discussions regarding fixing the track at Pershing Field thanks to Councilman Rich Boggiano

Anyway despite my gripe re: limiting of members only hours, it is a nice community resource - Pool is indoor, open year round. But remember it is a public pool (although not free) -- from now until July 4th when the free outdoor public pools open, it can be crowded, and at times, the cleanliness of the locker rooms/showers could be better (again, right now it's relatively heavy usage).

You will need proof of residency to join. Would recommend you pay one day to take a swim and see how you like it.

Thank you for the corrections. JC_Dweller was the one who asked for info/opinions, but I was the one that provided some erroneous information. Since you are obviously more up to date on the pool matters, could you clarify something for me (and others?) regarding the early morning hours: is it open to all? And, is it open strictly for lane swimming?? I could have sworn that during the first hour of operation each day, the pool (or, a portion of it) was set aside for lane swimming. Am I misremembering?

Posted on: 2015/6/11 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Couple corrections regarding JC Dweller's post- There is an entry fee for the pool, varying from $3-$5, depending on weekday/weekend. The membership just allows you to not pay for entry fee. In effect, with the membership, you are paying ahead and/or saving some money if you swim several times a week regularly. The "early hours" for members is not accurate, except that during the summer, there might be an extra "members-only" hour on weekends. In past years, the "member only" weekend hours were great - started during July and ran through Labor Day and were from 9AM to Noon. Last year, the Recreations Department in their vast wisdom, basically resisted do summer members-only weekend hours and finally gave us 1 hour (11AM to Noon) after being pressured by members -- but by the time they finally did so, the summer was almost over. And yes, I have a big gripe with this issue and Rec. Director, Ryan Strothers. Hopefully, he will be more responsive to members this summer.

It is just a pool (no fitness equipment). However, there are some fitness classes that are run out of the Pershing Field Community Center -- Also an art classs. You can get brochures on these programs at the pool. There has also been some discussions regarding fixing the track at Pershing Field thanks to Councilman Rich Boggiano

Anyway despite my gripe re: limiting of members only hours, it is a nice community resource - Pool is indoor, open year round. But remember it is a public pool (although not free) -- from now until July 4th when the free outdoor public pools open, it can be crowded, and at times, the cleanliness of the locker rooms/showers could be better (again, right now it's relatively heavy usage).

You will need proof of residency to join. Would recommend you pay one day to take a swim and see how you like it.

Posted on: 2015/6/11 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have always had to pay when I go at any time of the day, not a huge amount a couple of dollars I think.

Robni.

Posted on: 2015/6/11 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
My comment is based on my experiences from three years ago, so some things may have changed.

You don't really pay to "join" since it is a public pool, open to all, free of charge. You can pay to have the privilege of swimming at an earlier time than the public open swim hours. Is it worth it? I think that it is. At that early time, you will find that only serious people are using the pool to do what you would expect from a dedicated crowd willing to pay and swim at that time. It is open to anyone willing to pay this extra fee (back then, it was $75 for the season) and you swim in whatever lane is available. I used to go daily and I think only once or twice did I have to share a lane. YMMV. You will find that some of the people swimming early in the morning are doing so as training for triathlons and such, and you may learn a few things from them by engaging in conversation. The lifeguards in duty (at least one of them when I was doing it) was also a coach and would offer some pointers on technique, etc. As for other equipment, there is just the pool. After I stopped going, I heard that the showers and lockers were improved. I would suggest going out there and taking a look. Honestly, for $75, I think it is worth paying the extra fee if you are committed to swimming early in the morning. You will not need to bother with people just hanging out taking up space.

very helpful response, Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/6/11 13:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/21 15:03
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/11 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
My comment is based on my experiences from three years ago, so some things may have changed.

You don't really pay to "join" since it is a public pool, open to all, free of charge. You can pay to have the privilege of swimming at an earlier time than the public open swim hours. Is it worth it? I think that it is. At that early time, you will find that only serious people are using the pool to do what you would expect from a dedicated crowd willing to pay and swim at that time. It is open to anyone willing to pay this extra fee (back then, it was $75 for the season) and you swim in whatever lane is available. I used to go daily and I think only once or twice did I have to share a lane. YMMV. You will find that some of the people swimming early in the morning are doing so as training for triathlons and such, and you may learn a few things from them by engaging in conversation. The lifeguards in duty (at least one of them when I was doing it) was also a coach and would offer some pointers on technique, etc. As for other equipment, there is just the pool. After I stopped going, I heard that the showers and lockers were improved. I would suggest going out there and taking a look. Honestly, for $75, I think it is worth paying the extra fee if you are committed to swimming early in the morning. You will not need to bother with people just hanging out taking up space.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 23:57

Pershing Field Pool
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what kind of facilities are at the Pershing Field Pool? I know I can pay to join and work out there at the pool, but do they have treadmills or any other equipment?

Posted on: 2015/6/10 23:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017