Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: AEP : Academy 1 and MS4 middle schools.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
How does one get into these schools? Do they just use Njask scores or is there a separate test?

There is a test that 5th graders take sometime in about March I think.

Kids in public schools must be nominated by their teacher, the public schools give our application forms to the 5th graders they think are suitable. In the charter and private schools I think there is a little more dialogue involved, you can ask your teacher(s) to support your application. Either way a letter of recommendation from your teachers is required, I think it has to be two separate teachers.

The child also has to write an essay saying why they would be a good candidate for AEP.

The test is taken all at once in a big school up in the Heights behind the reservoir.

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/6/18 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I graduated from the first AEP class back in 1982, back when it occupied a few classrooms up in PS 25 in the Heights.

The one thing that is has been gratifying about the experience was that the relationships I made then have stayed with me for life. We have had informal reunions when convenient, and a few of our teachers even attended.

Me, in class, back in the day..
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/6/11 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, I agree re LCCS math. The good news though is that both my children took Algebra II - Pre Cal as juniors and got to AP Calc as seniors. The bad news is that the great Mrs. Finn who is the Algebra II - Pre Cal goddess is retiring this spring. She was the boys' favorite math teacher of all time.

Posted on: 2015/6/11 12:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
How does one get into these schools? Do they just use Njask scores or is there a separate test? Basic info like this is surprisingly hard to find on jcboe website. Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Robin, that is a very good and accurate write up on the program. People do ask, but I wish there was a better place to discuss.

Quote:

tern wrote:
Several friends have been asking me about AEP middle school as now is the time of year for it. I dug out the post below I made earlier on the subject.

My daughter is just finishing 6th grade at Academy-1, it's a lot of homework and a lot of projects (both individual and group). Also the homework is given with very short turn-around (i.e. homework set today, to be handed in tomorrow). It's a challenge for my daughter to keep on top of all the homework, but she does it and take pride in her achievments there.

I think you need to be the right kind of personality to succeed at AEP, it's not just the academic ability to do the work, but the willingness to submit yourself to the grind (both parents and child). If we, for example, decide go skiing for a weekend, it would leave my daughter dangerously behind on that week's home-work and projects, there is little slack time to accomodate a weekend off like that. Furthermore, much of the wekened work is project based, so not so easy to just bring with you and complete.

But it is definitely good to be pushed ahead a year in maths, the work she was doing previously in 5th grade was just treading water, repeating the same material, if you have someone capable of doing more than they are, it's almost a responsibility as a parent to push them on and not let them stagnate academically.

From my experience the charter and public schools are focused on no-child-left-behind and NJ-ASK, where they are evaluated on the number who make the minimum standard. Consequences for school are grave if they don't get everyone to that standard, so naturally all available resources go to pulling up the bottom 1/3, rather than pushing on the top 1/3.

My daughter likes Academy-1, so I recommend it provided your child is one who can apply themselves and churn out the work, I can well imagine there are plenty of very-smart, but rebelious types who wouldn't bend well to the work-load and consequently would not do well in AEP. I doubt I would send my younger son there for this reason.

Another point is there are more girls than boys in AEP, it does not seem that they sex-adjust the admissions (or by race as Mcnair does), AEP seems to go by raw test scores regardless.

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
If I had to pick out the one most disappointing thing about LCCS, it's the lack of math tracking. We had no idea this would have vast effects on the math/science coursework available at McNair, where many of the students who attended AEP or private schools enter with algebra. It actually creates 2 academic tracks, and affects what AP science classes you may take before graduation. My sophomore son is taking geometry with a class of mostly freshman from AEP.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Several friends have been asking me about AEP middle school as no wis the time of year for it. I dug out the post below I made earlier on the subject.

My daughter is just finishing 6th grade at Academy-1, it's a lot of homework and a lot of projects (both individual and group). Also the homework is given with very short turn-around (i.e. homework set today, to be handed in tomorrow). It's a challenge for my daughter to keep on top of all the homework, but she does it and take pride in her achievments there.

I think you need to be the right kind of personality to succeed at AEP, it's not just the academic ability to do the work, but the willingness to submit yourself to the grind (both parents and child). If we, for example, decide go skiing for a weekend, it would leave my daughter dangerously behind on that week's home-work and projects, there is little slack time to accomodate a weekend off like that. Furthermore, much of the wekened work is project based, so not so easy to just bring with you and complete.

But it is definitely good to be pushed ahead a year in maths, the work she was doing previously in 5th grade was just treading water, repeating the same material, if you have someone capable of doing more than they are, it's almost a responsibility as a parent to push them on and not let them stagnate academically.

From my experience the charter and public schools are focused on no-child-left-behind and NJ-ASK, where they are evaluated on the number who make the minimum standard. Consequences for school are grave if they don't get everyone to that standard, so naturally all available resources go to pulling up the bottom 1/3, rather than pushing on the top 1/3.

My daughter likes Academy-1, so I recommend it provided your child is one who can apply themselves and churn out the work, I can well imagine there are plenty of very-smart, but rebelious types who wouldn't bend well to the work-load and consequently would not do well in AEP. I doubt I would send my younger son there for this reason.

Another point is there are more girls than boys in AEP, it does not seem that they sex-adjust the admissions (or by race as Mcnair does), AEP seems to go by raw test scores regardless.

Robin.

Thank you for the first-person review/perspective. I whole heartedly agree with your points about it being a parental responsibility to push your kids to academically achieve everything of which they are capable, and also one of the core issues with school standards and standardized testing. Above average students are most affected by NCLB, as they are getting less attention and focus, which is instead bestowed on the bottom third that needs to be brought up to the "average". I don't have the answer to these situations, but I think there should be some sort of flexibility to cater to the various student body compositions.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 13:52

AEP : Academy 1 and MS4 middle schools.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Several friends have been asking me about AEP middle school as now is the time of year for it. I dug out the post below I made earlier on the subject.

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 13:36

Edited by tern on 2015/6/10 13:54:43

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017