Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Rent is spiraling out of control
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I have no idea whether illegals are driving the prices up (though the national media should call them that, instead of "undocumented").

But I'd imagine the ever increasing wealth gap between the rich and poor has something to do with this.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 17:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
Yvonne - you are the reason why I lose faith in humanity

If you really are a teacher, let me know what school you're at so I can put up a "deaf child" type of sign outside to show that there's a complete fckn moron teaching at that school.

I really hope the Webmaster takes this down, what a shame that we can't have a discussion about rent without dragging kids into it.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 17:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne - you are the reason why I lose faith in humanity

If you really are a teacher, let me know what school you're at so I can put up a "deaf child" type of sign outside to show that there's a complete fckn moron teaching at that school.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
bodhipooh, I truly feel sorry for you. You are incapable of having a discussion without attacking someone. I also feel sorry for the people who are in your inner circle. Life must be difficult for them, too.

What can I say Yvonne? Apparently, your God sees things differently, having blessed me with a great family and a solid group of friends. The only difficulty in my life is having to deal with ignorant idiots, such as yourself. I hear it gets easier/better over time, so I guess I will just keep biding my time.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
bodhipooh, I truly feel sorry for you. You are incapable of having a discussion without attacking someone. I also feel sorry for the people who are in your inner circle. Life must be difficult for them, too.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Most importantly, illegals who rent apartments in Jersey City or anywhere else are ultimately contributing to the property tax base, which is the main source of funding for our schools.

Ahem... in JC, property taxes are a TINY source of the funding of public schools. The vast majority of the JC PS budget comes from the state. As bad as our taxes may be right now, they could be a LOT WORSE if the state was to cut back on how much they contribute to our public school funding. In fact, it would be crippling.

Fair enough... I still say a few people on this thread should read what is at this link, most importantly the myth about illegal aliens not paying taxes but receiving public assistance, scroll down and read.

http://www.tolerance.org/immigration-myths

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Most importantly, illegals who rent apartments in Jersey City or anywhere else are ultimately contributing to the property tax base, which is the main source of funding for our schools.

Ahem... in JC, property taxes are a TINY source of the funding of public schools. The vast majority of the JC PS budget comes from the state. As bad as our taxes may be right now, they could be a LOT WORSE if the state was to cut back on how much they contribute to our public school funding. In fact, it would be crippling.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When did I say Puerto Ricans are not US citizens?

Yvonne, you are SO F*CKING STUPID. There. I said it.

When did you say what you are now claiming you didn't say? In your original post you referred to Puerto Ricans as immigrants. When you refer to someone as an immigrant you are IMPLICITLY saying that they are foreigners and non-citizens. That's the DEFINITION of the word immigrant.

Don't take my word for it, though. See here and here.

Now, can you please shut up and go away? To know you were once a teacher is MIND BOGGLING. Your writing is atrocious, your grammar is so poor as to be on the level of recent immigrants, and your level of ignorance is beyond belief.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Nonsense about illegal aliens not getting public assistance. An illegal alien with, say, 3 kids in a Jersey City school is stealing over $60,000/year from JC and NJ taxpayers. Throw in free lunches, preK, and it's more. All money being stolen from our kids and wallets.

The law requires all public schools to take the children of illegal aliens, which is a problem, I get that.

But how, exactly, are children of illegal aliens qualifying for free lunches and free pre-K? There are forms to fill out for that and your status as a citizen or resident alien has to be verified. Unless the people processing those forms are slacking and not doing the proper verifications.

Better still, go to this link, and read the myth about illegal aliens not paying taxes but still getting government benefits.

To the tune of over $20,000 per year per child? Er, no. Besides, the property taxes in JC pay only for 16% of the cost of JC schools.

Well then I guess all of us legal citizens don't contribute to the costs of the schools any more than illegal immigrants do.

Not at all. Take away the kids the costs go down. Their hands are in our pockets, not the other way around, you know.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Nonsense about illegal aliens not getting public assistance. An illegal alien with, say, 3 kids in a Jersey City school is stealing over $60,000/year from JC and NJ taxpayers. Throw in free lunches, preK, and it's more. All money being stolen from our kids and wallets.

The law requires all public schools to take the children of illegal aliens, which is a problem, I get that.

But how, exactly, are children of illegal aliens qualifying for free lunches and free pre-K? There are forms to fill out for that and your status as a citizen or resident alien has to be verified. Unless the people processing those forms are slacking and not doing the proper verifications.

Better still, go to this link, and read the myth about illegal aliens not paying taxes but still getting government benefits.

To the tune of over $20,000 per year per child? Er, no. Besides, the property taxes in JC pay only for 16% of the cost of JC schools.

Well then I guess all of us legal citizens don't contribute to the costs of the schools any more than illegal immigrants do.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Nonsense about illegal aliens not getting public assistance. An illegal alien with, say, 3 kids in a Jersey City school is stealing over $60,000/year from JC and NJ taxpayers.

Money spent on public education is money invested in future workers and taxpayers. Illegal immigrants are here to stay and more are coming, so denying their children an education would be counterproductive and has the obvious potential to cost the state even more money.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
To blame increasing rents on illegal immigration is laughable and idiotic.

What's laughable is thinking affordable housing is a civil right.

Can I get a nice flat at the Dakota for $800/month? I'll settle for the San Remo. Or 15 Central Park.

Another idiotic deflection. Rising rents are a combination economic factors such as poor fiscal policies over the years, low rates, tightening credit standards on mortgages, higher rental demand, strong dollar, overseas investment driving prices up, widening wealth gap...but that doesn't fit your simplistic immigration narrative on cause and solution does it?

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
In my article I said the factory mangers/owners hired workers from Puerto Rico. I did not label them illegal or legal, I was stating a fact. After the factories closed Puerto Ricans continue to arrive and I said that contributed to the housing shortage. I did not call anyone illegal or immigrant. This thread is about rising rent. I saw rent rise after the influx of workers from Puerto Rico due to the factories enticing them with jobs.

Interesting, I saw rents risings when the yuppie s um arrived.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In my article I said the factory mangers/owners hired workers from Puerto Rico. I did not label them illegal or legal, I was stating a fact. After the factories closed Puerto Ricans continue to arrive and I said that contributed to the housing shortage. I did not call anyone illegal or immigrant. This thread is about rising rent. I saw rent rise after the influx of workers from Puerto Rico due to the factories enticing them with jobs.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
All money being stolen from our kids and wallets.

Did you file a police report?

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

What's laughable is thinking affordable housing is a civil right.

Can I get a nice flat at the Dakota for $800/month? I'll settle for the San Remo. Or 15 Central Park.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When did I say Puerto Ricans are not US citizens?

First, let me explain by defintion, any US citizen moving to Hoboken is NOTan immigrant. They're migrants, just like anyone moving here from Manhattan or the midwest. So by YOU calling them "immigrants" you've wrongfully implied saying they are not citizens. So either you thought Puerto Ricans were not US citizens, or you don't know what an immigrant is.

Moving on....you're dodging the question, like you always do when you don't have an answer....

You said "Really, it is a combination of both being NYC's housing market and illegal immigration"

I asked for you to show me how do we know this increase has to do with illegal immigrants. Because the increased population could be legal immigration or simply migrants.

You then come back about a story about legal migrants. I'm not questioning that we have move legal migrants here. I can look at the census and see we there are more people here, than 10 years ago. What I want to know, is why you think we have more illegals here now.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When did I say Puerto Ricans are not US citizens? In fact the story on these homes for workers was a story in the Hudson Dispatch. I am not sure about the Jersey Journal because my family read the Dispatch. For some reason facts upset people on JC list. If the library carry old copies of the Dispatch I would say the article was around 1961 to 1963.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Yes, let's deport all the illegal immigrants to free up housing. And then watch you all complain about how you can't find babysitters/nannies, slow service at restaurants, no food deliveries, having to clean your own home and lettuce costing $6 a head at Shop Rite, among a myriad of other woes. Can you guys possibly be any more short sighted?

That's just a dumb, dumb statement.
What would really happen is:
1) We would have to pay higher wages to entice the remaining people that want to work as babysitter/nannies to do so. Essentially the minimum wage would be naturally raised instead of artificially raised by the government.
2) there is rampant slow service in restaurants as it is. Illegal immigrants don't ensure prompt service.
3) We will still have food deliveries if we want to pay more for it. Again the minimum wage would be naturally raised.
4) Same logic applies to having to cleaning my own home. And there is nothing impossible about doing it myself.
5) If I don't want to pay $6 per head for lettuce I'll buy something cheaper.

And the best part is the reduction in my Medicare taxes will be applied to any of these extra costs I voluntarily choose to pay.

That's the correct long sighted view......

Illegal aliens are not getting Medicare, generally speaking. Most illegal aliens are smart enough not to receive any kind of public assistance because that is exactly how they would get caught and deported.

Furthermore, as to all your other arguments, exactly how much more are you willing to pay for babysitting or nannies, delivery service and lettuce?

I'll concede your point about cleaning your home, I do that myself as it is and a lot of other people could too.

Babysitters and nannies don't work for minimum wage anyway, illegal or legal.

Most delivery persons don't either, although they probably don't earn much more.

While you could buy something else instead of lettuce, I'm thinking the prices of other produce items would increase considerably as well with all the illegals deported. You may not need lettuce, but everybody needs some kind of leafy green vegtable in their diet.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, but there is a thing called common sense. originally I lived in Hoboken as a child. Then Hoboken was a factory town. Hostess Cupcake, Lipton Tea, Maxwell House, etc. The owners of the factories complained there wasn't enough workers for their plants so they purchased buildings on Washington St and Garden St and hired workers from Puerto Rico. A year later, many of these owners decided it was cheaper to have a plant elsewhere. But in the meantime more immigrants from Puerto Rico was arriving in Hoboken and I saw the housing market become tight. Rents in Hoboken in the early 1960s were $50.00 to under $100.00 per month.

Yes, great example about immigrants, because Puerto Ricans are US Citizens! Do you call people who move here from the midwest and NYC immigrants as well? Or maybe it just anyone who doesn't look like you

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, but there is a thing called common sense.

Does your common sense tell you whether an immigrant is legal or illegal? Because your accusation was that rents have spiked because of NYC housing market and illegal immigration. Maybe you're just being a xenophobe again, and you're assuming every immigrant is here illegally. Please don't say you're not a xenophobe because your priest is an immigrant, it's an old story.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Adonis, you are saying taxpayers should support with affordable housing people's nannies? And we should more more school taxes for the nannies's children? If we pay American citizens a decent wage, they would not need welfare, food stamps and other federal subsidies.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, but there is a thing called common sense. originally I lived in Hoboken as a child. Then Hoboken was a factory town. Hostess Cupcake, Lipton Tea, Maxwell House, etc. The owners of the factories complained there wasn't enough workers for their plants so they purchased buildings on Washington St and Garden St and hired workers from Puerto Rico. A year later, many of these owners decided it was cheaper to have a plant elsewhere. But in the meantime more immigrants from Puerto Rico was arriving in Hoboken and I saw the housing market become tight. Rents in Hoboken in the early 1960s were $50.00 to under $100.00 per month. Towards the end of the 1960's rents were approaching $200.00. Hoboken now had a housing shortage. Many escaped to JC where rents were still cheaper. Did people collect data? No, they just left Hoboken and some developers realized the demand for housing. Hoboken changed from a factory town to a residential town in the 1970s and the rents continue to raise. My friend lives in Hoboken and pays $3,500 a month. Close to the yearly salary of many Hoboken factory workers.

You do realize that Puerto Ricans are US citizens and have been since 1917, right?

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Yes, let's deport all the illegal immigrants to free up housing. And then watch you all complain about how you can't find babysitters/nannies, slow service at restaurants, no food deliveries, having to clean your own home and lettuce costing $6 a head at Shop Rite, among a myriad of other woes. Can you guys possibly be any more short sighted?

That's just a dumb, dumb statement.
What would really happen is:
1) We would have to pay higher wages to entice the remaining people that want to work as babysitter/nannies to do so. Essentially the minimum wage would be naturally raised instead of artificially raised by the government.
2) there is rampant slow service in restaurants as it is. Illegal immigrants don't ensure prompt service.
3) We will still have food deliveries if we want to pay more for it. Again the minimum wage would be naturally raised.
4) Same logic applies to having to cleaning my own home. And there is nothing impossible about doing it myself.
5) If I don't want to pay $6 per head for lettuce I'll buy something cheaper.

And the best part is the reduction in my Medicare taxes will be applied to any of these extra costs I voluntarily choose to pay.

That's the correct long sighted view......

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No, but there is a thing called common sense. originally I lived in Hoboken as a child. Then Hoboken was a factory town. Hostess Cupcake, Lipton Tea, Maxwell House, etc. The owners of the factories complained there wasn't enough workers for their plants so they purchased buildings on Washington St and Garden St and hired workers from Puerto Rico. A year later, many of these owners decided it was cheaper to have a plant elsewhere. But in the meantime more immigrants from Puerto Rico was arriving in Hoboken and I saw the housing market become tight. Rents in Hoboken in the early 1960s were $50.00 to under $100.00 per month. Towards the end of the 1960's rents were approaching $200.00. Hoboken now had a housing shortage. Many escaped to JC where rents were still cheaper. Did people collect data? No, they just left Hoboken and some developers realized the demand for housing. Hoboken changed from a factory town to a residential town in the 1970s and the rents continue to raise. My friend lives in Hoboken and pays $3,500 a month. Close to the yearly salary of many Hoboken factory workers.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/6/4 14:42

« 1 (2) 3 »