Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Noise Complaint, worth it to call in?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
If I owned a stoop which strangers felt entitled to use as their late late night hang out spot to continue their drunken conversations, I would put a stop to that nonsense with a bucket of water colored with food coloring. I suggest bright pink, or purple. Keep it by your window and dump it out the window when they show up. Some people are so rude, there is no reasoning with them.

If you don't want to bother with a bucket, perhaps invest in a small, simple sprinkler system that can be turned on by remote control.

Would you? You'd be inviting rocks through your windows later on.

Do you go through life always afraid of anything others may do to you?

If they want to throw rocks, they better have fast legs, good insurance, and even better attorneys. Vandalism, destruction of private property, trespassing, attempted assault... Those are all possible, valid charges against someone that wants to throw rocks towards you and your property. If they are drunk enough, their aim is likely bad anyway. If the police can't/won't show up on time, you should be able to outrun a few drunks, even while carrying a nice aluminum bat. The possibilities are endless! Don't be a victim.

No, I don't. Thanks for asking and assuming.

I don't live scared but I don't live stupid, either. Messing with jerks in an aggressive/violent manner from your residence is just asking for trouble at said residence. Clearly, there are better ways to correct the problem.

My sarcasm is going unnoticed...

Of course, I agree with your point that aggression and violence will not necessarily get your far at all, but the point remains that not doing something will definitely not get you anywhere. I find that too many people are willing to let themselves be cowered or victimized because they rather avoid any confrontation. In a densely populated city, that is a recipe for pent up anger.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
If I owned a stoop which strangers felt entitled to use as their late late night hang out spot to continue their drunken conversations, I would put a stop to that nonsense with a bucket of water colored with food coloring. I suggest bright pink, or purple. Keep it by your window and dump it out the window when they show up. Some people are so rude, there is no reasoning with them.

If you don't want to bother with a bucket, perhaps invest in a small, simple sprinkler system that can be turned on by remote control.

If they want to throw rocks, they better have fast legs, good insurance, and even better attorneys. Vandalism, destruction of private property, trespassing, attempted assault... Those are all possible, valid charges against someone that wants to throw rocks towards you and your property. If they are drunk enough, their aim is likely bad anyway. If the police can't/won't show up on time, you should be able to outrun a few drunks, even while carrying a nice aluminum bat. The possibilities are endless! Don't be a victim.

No, I don't. Thanks for asking and assuming.

I don't live scared but I don't live stupid, either. Messing with jerks in an aggressive/violent manner from your residence is just asking for trouble at said residence. Clearly, there are better ways to correct the problem.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Who's making the noise? I assume (maybe incorrectly) that it's suburban riff raff coming into DTJC for a night out. B&Ts avoiding the T. If that is the case, how do you make the area unfriendly to rowdy visitors? Enforce parking regs., public disturbance regs. etc. would be a start, I think.

EXACTLY. By far, the easiest way to address this issue would be for police to have a larger presence in the neighborhood. We have to get more cops off squad cars walking foot patrols. It's good for community relations (makes cops more accessible, and in turn makes them more attuned to the neighbors) and it also serves as a deterrent to nuisances like rowdy drunks, etc.

YES! Also, encourage restaurants to validate parking in one of the downtown garages (50 Columbus sits half-empty), make downtown streets residential permit parking only, and ticket/boot/tow the asshats who park wherever they damn well please.

the fact that the Parking Authority clocks out at 5pm doesn't help this situation at all. the fees incurred from tickets/boots would more than pay for their overtime.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Who's making the noise? I assume (maybe incorrectly) that it's suburban riff raff coming into DTJC for a night out. B&Ts avoiding the T. If that is the case, how do you make the area unfriendly to rowdy visitors? Enforce parking regs., public disturbance regs. etc. would be a start, I think.

EXACTLY. By far, the easiest way to address this issue would be for police to have a larger presence in the neighborhood. We have to get more cops off squad cars walking foot patrols. It's good for community relations (makes cops more accessible, and in turn makes them more attuned to the neighbors) and it also serves as a deterrent to nuisances like rowdy drunks, etc.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/15 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/15 10:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/14 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There has GOT to be some way to make a city nice, without letting the d-bags know about it.

Probably too late for downtown, but take notice, Bergen/Lafayette.

Quote:

Nomorebullcrap wrote:
\It was nice here when it wasn't nice here. ....when walking home from grove didn't look like Manhattan : (

Posted on: 2015/6/14 1:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/16 14:24
From Beirut
Group:
Registered Users
I do agree with you overall though. With cities come douches...sucks. For sure if it's your stoop call it in...I'm just tired of all the changes. It was nice here when it wasn't nice here. ....when walking home from grove didn't look like Manhattan : (

Quote:

taproot9 wrote:
Once again, thanks all. Just was asking because I've lived places where when you call in a noise complaint, nothing happens, so not sure if anyone had any experience.

And, yeah, the whole "it's a city" argument is kind of lame. I get that this is a city, I expect to hear noises and people at night. But what I don't need to hear on a weeknight is a bunch of drunk underage college students doing kegstands like we're in the backyard of a frathouse till the sun comes up.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 4:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
So, here's a new side-effect of "restaurant row" we get to enjoy all summer:

When the places close down at 2/3am, their customers stroll in packs through downtown towards their cars, talking loudly, shouting to each-other across the street, completely oblivious to the fact that they're in a residential neighborhood.

I've noticed it increasing as the weather warms up.

At 3:30 this morning, I had to go down and tell a bunch of grown men and women - sitting on my stoop - that they were having their loud conversation right under several open bedroom windows. They seemed surprised and were apologetic, and quickly took it elsewhere. So no drama, but....seriously?

I see no simple solution to this.

I don't know what street you're on, but did you catch the whistling contest?

I kid you not, there was a group of just under a dozen having a whistling contest. One girl was acting as the judge.

"John, now you whistle!"
"Jimmy, now you whistle!"
"Now everybody whistle at once!"

It was so fucking loud and obnoxious that I couldn't even be mad. They didn't even stop. They just kept yelling and whistling all the way up the street until they were out of earshot from me.

I was extremely impressed.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/1 14:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/9 18:46
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Once again, thanks all. Just was asking because I've lived places where when you call in a noise complaint, nothing happens, so not sure if anyone had any experience.

And, yeah, the whole "it's a city" argument is kind of lame. I get that this is a city, I expect to hear noises and people at night. But what I don't need to hear on a weeknight is a bunch of drunk underage college students doing kegstands like we're in the backyard of a frathouse till the sun comes up.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 13:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Did anyone hear gunshots in the Wayne St. park (Wayne between Barrow and Jersey) on Friday around 11pm?
There was a fight in the park, after shots were fired, everyone dispersed and the cops never showed up. This park is so noisy with people playing basketball at 1 or 2am. And is ALWAYS filled with drug dealers, and people smoking crack. It's pretty out in the open, no one seems to care though.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
"IT'S A CITY!! YOU SHOULD EXPECT THAT EVERYBODY IS RUDE, SELF-INVOLVED AND BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...." Next time dump boiling water on them. "Hey! It's a city!"

Posted on: 2015/5/31 2:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Beirut
Group:
Registered Users
We should get control of the "rat" population! Click on the RCC link if your head is up your arse! Again....move out then!

Posted on: 2015/5/30 20:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Beirut
Group:
Registered Users
This is a CITY! If you all don't like noise then get out of here and move to the suburbs. Holy crap bunch of white yuppies are taking over. Long live Paco (RIP) and Taco! You all should be more concerned with the disgusting air pollution here and the constant bombardment of development and the noise that brings. Wake up people!

Posted on: 2015/5/30 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

When the places close down at 2/3am, their customers stroll in packs through downtown towards their cars, talking loudly, shouting to each-other across the street, completely oblivious to the fact that they're in a residential neighborhood.

At 3:30 this morning, I had to go down and tell a bunch of grown men and women - sitting on my stoop - that they were having their loud conversation right under several open bedroom windows. They seemed surprised and were apologetic, and quickly took it elsewhere. So no drama, but....seriously?

close your window and turn the AC on. You don't own the street.

True. But I own the stoop.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

I see solutions

1) close your window and turn the AC on. You don't own the street.

2) move, I hear lubbock texas is quiet in the summer

there are few tropes more tiresome than "it's a city, move to the suburbs if you don't like (topic)"

sitting on a stranger's stoop having a loud conversation at 3:30 in the morning is simply rude.

if you enjoy it so much, perhaps you could PM your address to I_heart, so he/she can send this delightful element of city living your way.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

I see solutions

1) close your window and turn the AC on. You don't own the street.

2) move, I hear lubbock texas is quiet in the summer

Posted on: 2015/5/30 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/30 15:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 17:46
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Having the same problems on Grand Street. In particular from the back garden of Legal Grounds coffee store. Really loud music, shouting, obnoxious screaming. The coffee store is closed. It's after 1 am and the music is blasting.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
That sounds pretty terrible, but that doesn't seem to be the same bunch of the OP's complaint

Posted on: 2015/5/29 3:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/29 1:38
From Jersey City Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Please, please, call it in. We had to call the police at 3 am Sunday night (after those lovely midnight fireworks). There was a pack of drunks running, jumping and screaming and pounding on the rooftops on 4th between Jersey and Coles. Stuff like that is not only a nuisance, but would be a nightmare if they fell off someone's roof, and at least a big headache if they're damaging property because the cops have to catch them doing it.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 21:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/27 23:43
From Toronto
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Anybody try talking to the neighbors?

Not a good idea, you might trigger a nerve. Plus if someone else calls the neighbor might think you're the one that called.

That's right. It will only make things worse later, I think..

Posted on: 2015/5/27 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:

I have no idea who they are, so....

Posted on: 2015/5/26 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Does the city take any initiative about cars blasting their music? A patrol car stationed at the stop sign at 1st and Erie could probably issue enough tickets to reduce taxes. I would also love to see the insurance companies and the loan companies advised that these cars are a public nuisance.

oh my god that corner! did you hear the asshat on Sunday night who pulled into the fire lane, got out to go to Torico's, and LEFT HIS STEREO BLASTING THROUGH OPEN WINDOWS THE WHOLE TIME?!

I only heard about it later, from my rattled houseguest. had I been there, those open windows would've received the contents of my cat's litter box.

and no, not pretending to be a tough guy here. stuff like that makes me stabby, and prone to neglect considering the consequences.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Use the JC RRC system it really gets results. I have been 10 out of 10 with my complaints?err I mean requests. (I probably nailed some of you ..lol) Example: There is a used car dealer at rt 440 and Danforth Ave. They had a motion detection alarm that would go off all hours of the night and ALL day Sunday when they were closed. For the last two years of the Healy administration people in CV and SH tried the Healy system or called the non-emergency police number. NOTHING was done for two long years.

As soon as Mayor Fulop started his RRC the neighbors sent a request in and within a week the alarm was silenced forever. I recommend creating an account because this way you can track your requests and receive emails from real people. Good luck.

City of Jersey City website:

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/

Click on the RRC box on the lower main page.

Click Make a Request

SELECT Loud Neighbors Select this category to report public nuisance(noise)

You can submit anonymously or create an account.

Make a Service Request

Service Request Type: Loud Neighbors
Description: Select this category to report public nuisance(noise).

Exact Address: (a drop box will appear when you start typing the address)

Select exact address where service is requested or where problem occurred. Begin typing full address starting with number (e.g.," 280 Grove St") until a match is found. Then press ENTER, TAB, or click on next field.

* Apartment/Unit Number:
* Type of Noise: Yelling, Music ,Parties (drop box will display)
* When is noise worst?: Morning Evening Night All the time (drop box will display)
* Description:

Please note, the maximum total file size for attachment is 15MB.
Attach a File:

Posted on: 2015/5/26 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:

That's a bit of a crap shoot. If you have a friendly/cordial relationship with the people, mentioning it to them may yield results. You would be surprised at how many people do not realize how far sound can carry. If they persist, then make the call. On the other hand, if you do not know these people or they are an exceptionally rowdy group, by all means make the call.

(BTW, heights is afraid of his own shadow.)

Posted on: 2015/5/26 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:

Not a good idea, you might trigger a nerve. Plus if someone else calls the neighbor might think you're the one that called.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 1:17
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/25 16:14

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]