Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I think some of the anti-FOL people should remember-the theater would be either an office building or a giant hole if they hadn't stepped up, voluntarily, to stop the wrecking ball . . .

This is true. Let FOL have its remaining five years and then turn it over to a private operator with a capacity to make it great.

FOL deserves we respect the lease, because without them, there would be nothing.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 22:33

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Maybe now that court case is over the folks who took an active interest in preserving the Loews will be able to use the grant funding to continue to revive the theatre.

Handing it over to a private entity will result in $150 Ticketmaster
prices and Beyonce can kiss mah azz.

This property should be used by and for Jersey City, students should have access to plays and use of the stage for their needs and development.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 20:33

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City has been withholding funds earmarked for Loew's, then people complain the place is run down. Considering how JC jumped into the screwy MLK Annex deal, could they be trusted with their hands on this potential jewel?

Posted on: 2015/5/30 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I think some of the anti-FOL people should remember-the theater would be either an office building or a giant hole if they hadn't stepped up, voluntarily, to stop the wrecking ball . . .

I don't think anyone has forgotten the contributions of the FOL in that regard, it's more that there is a legitimate belief that they've reached the end of their usefulness. They are not programmers. They are not fundraisers on a large-scale basis. It isn't even clear if they have the wherewithal to do the heavy lifting needed on the rest of the restorations. The plan the city put initially put forward included a role for local programming that FOL claims to be most concerned about and FOL had an opportunity to participate in that.

If you really, really, really like the Yankees - I mean like you have every baseball card, season tickets and named your child "Seven" - does that mean you are qualified to be the GM of the team? Or if you helped install the seats at the new stadium you are somehow qualified to manage? That seems to be the stance the FOL is taking.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/30 12:11

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies to replace FOL in running the Loew’s theater
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

The problem is the city not FOL, the city refuses to give money for some improvements. FOL manages the place but the city owns the theater and only the owner can put money into the theater.

Yes. You're right. The problem IS the city. The city can barely run itself. Have you ever tried applying for a permit or license? The city should not run an enterprise, a theater, no less. The city did the right thing by taking it over and preserving it, but turning it into a profitable venture is way beyond its abilities.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 11:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Walters wrote:
I don't know what the details are but I've been in the Loews a couple of times . It would be a great place to see a concert . With the PATH across the street it would do well in the hands of good promoter. As it is now , it's not doing anything for anyone except FOL who treat it like your Italian grandmother's living room . Look but don't touch .

The problem is the city not FOL, the city refuses to give money for some improvements. FOL manages the place but the city owns the theater and only the owner can put money into the theater. If the city can afford to give merit raises and raise the base pay for the fire chief and other personnel it can afford to spend some dollars on basic maintenance.
the real problem is that the fol does not have the manpower or marketing conditions to turn this theater around even if it wanted. 5 more yearsand fol can get the boot!

Posted on: 2015/5/30 7:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
God's honest truth, I only wrote ownership because I couldn't think of how to properly word "lease holder" with a "ship" at the end.

Leaseholdership?
Lesseeship?
Leasership?
Tenantship?

Forgive me my trespasses...

Posted on: 2015/5/30 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
jj comment:
Quote:
Hey Terrence you should put a link to or at least list the information about the AEG deal so the people of JC could see what we are now missing out on.

AEG Live set to take over Loew's in Jersey City

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journalon June 26, 2014 at 4:35 PM, updated July 03, 2014 at 2:21 PM

AEG Live, one of the globe's largest concert promoters, is set to win a contract to take over management of the Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre in Jersey City, and the firm pledges to bring "top talent" to the Journal Square theater.

A city official said AEG offered "far and away" the largest bid to run the venue, saying it would pay $350,000 annually to rent the city-owned theater for 30 years and contribute $3.5 million toward renovation of the 85-year-old former movie palace.

JJ piece..

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... loews_in_jersey_city.html

Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
These "put it to a community vote!" comments are cool and all, but think about how you'll feel when somebody wants to put the ownership of your property to a vote........

I own the property and so do you if you pay taxes in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Walters wrote:
I don't know what the details are but I've been in the Loews a couple of times . It would be a great place to see a concert . With the PATH across the street it would do well in the hands of good promoter. As it is now , it's not doing anything for anyone except FOL who treat it like your Italian grandmother's living room . Look but don't touch .

The problem is the city not FOL, the city refuses to give money for some improvements. FOL manages the place but the city owns the theater and only the owner can put money into the theater. If the city can afford to give merit raises and raise the base pay for the fire chief and other personnel it can afford to spend some dollars on basic maintenance.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Friends of the Loew?s Public Statement on Today?s Court Ruling Enforcing Our Lease

The Judge hearing the lawsuit over the Friends of the Loew's lease ruled today that our lease of the Loew's is in full force and effect, and that the City's claim otherwise is not correct.

FOL is obviously gratified by this ruling, and we are happy that it removes the cloud of doubt that's been hanging over the Theatre.

But as far as we are concerned, the issue and any bad feelings it has caused are behind us. Now is the time to sit down with Mayor Stephen M. Fulop and the City to plan how to truly take the ongoing restoration and operation of the Landmark Loew's to the next level.

What Mayor Fulop said more than a year ago that he wants for the Loew's is not very different from what FOL has been saying since we started the effort to save the Theatre from the wrecking ball many years ago: The Loew's needs to be an arts center to serve and showcase our community. To do this, there certainly needs to be big concerts by big promoters; but this has to be within a framework that makes everything else the Loews has to do sustainable, including affordability in the arts, youth programming, local arts, film, community interest activities and more.

FOL has learned a few things over the many years we've had to pursue those goals for the Loew's without the help and support the City was supposed to provide under the lease. And because of this practical, hard-won knowledge, we understood that while the plan the City had recently put forward might attract some concerts, it simply didn't have enough in it to truly support everything else the Mayor and FOL want the Loew's to do for the people of Jersey City. And that's why we opposed it.

But that's not to say a plan can't be crafted that will work. Actually, FOL is certain such a plan can and should be created, and to help do just that we retained the assistance of a nationally recognized expert in theatre management who works with arts centers all over the country. By working together, we're certain that this consultant can help FOL and the City make a plan for the Loew's that will achieve all the goals for the Loew's.

Right now, the City and FOL can make a fresh start at working together if the City allows FOL to use the more than $500,000 in grant money we had won to make some important fire-safety and other code upgrades; while the court case was still ongoing, the City would not move forward with this vital work. The City also received $2 million from a Journal Square-area developer for the Loew's, and now the City can use this money right away to make additional important code repairs that will go a very long way toward enabling the Theatre to host bigger and more frequent shows.

The statement that City Hall put out this afternoon about the Judge's ruling shows genuine upset ? FOL understands this, because we've had to deal with disappointment and upset for years as past administrations were not able to keep their commitments of support. But now is the time to find common ground and move forward together.

Today?s court ruling shows that Jersey City's very special brand of civic activism, in which over the decades good citizens have selflessly come together to define, achieve and safeguard an array of goals to make life better here, is very much alive. And that is a victory for all the people of Jersey City.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=b ... d=a9bbe1a7d9&e=bf101a2e6c

Posted on: 2015/5/29 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
These "put it to a community vote!" comments are cool and all, but think about how you'll feel when somebody wants to put the ownership of your property to a vote.
I'm sorry you don't like the way the people holding the lease to the theatre are running it. Perhaps you should either go back in time to when nobody wanted it and sign a lease of your own for the property, or put on your big boy pants and go find another available venue to have your Vampire Weekend shows in.
It's not like there's a shortage of giant vacant buildings in the area.

Incredibly pleased the judge sided with FOL. Yes, it really sucks that more isn't done with the space, but it's a ruling in favor of the greater good of the rule of law.

Imagine if you could just vote people out of a neighborhood because you didn't like them. I'd probably go first!

Posted on: 2015/5/29 21:31

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit companies
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hasn't JC (and not just Fulop, but Healey too) reneged on financial support that would've helped the theater?

And we went to the Brooklyn restored Loew's. Will concert tickets at over $150 each AND having two cocktails in the lobby for $34 really serve the average person in JC?

Posted on: 2015/5/29 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Walters wrote:
Why can't maintence and code requirements of the Loews just be made a condition of the abatement request of developers of Journal Square ?

1) IIRC one big development already is making payments earmarked for the Loews' as part of their tax abatement.

2) Something like this really should be managed by professionals, preferably in conjunction with the community.

Quote:
Wouldn't a vibrant Loews be a plus for residents of The Square , I mean how many Blvd. Drinks hot dogs can one endure.

Yep. A real performing arts center at JSQ will benefit lots of residents. The problem is that FOL is apparently not capable of handling that job.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This is the best news I have heard in a long time. Congrats to the FOLS.

Screw the FOL.

Granted, if they have a legal lease, the city should not be allowed to unilaterally void the lease.

However, everything I've seen indicates that they are completely out of their league.

Of course, FOL now has 5 years to prove me wrong. Who expects them to spend the next 5 years fundraising, developing programming, and serving JC? Hint: They appear to have no events lined up, except for 2 old movies this week. I guess we'll see what they come up with....

Posted on: 2015/5/29 21:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 16:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Why can't maintence and code requirements of the Loews just be made a condition of the abatement request of developers of Journal Square ? Wouldn't a vibrant Loews be a plus for residents of The Square , I mean how many Blvd. Drinks hot dogs can one endure.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
JJ comment:
Quote:
It is really is disgusting how Jersey City?s Loew?s is being held hostage.That being said while our Loew?s was /is being held hostage look what they did in Brooklyn. We can have that HERE!

Loew's Kings Theatre in Brooklyn, NY.
http://www.kingstheatre.com/

The long suffering Journal Square property owners and the people of Jersey City lose again.

Put the Loews ?ownership? to a vote by the people of Jersey City.

I am tired of those stupid "classic" movies that are shown. Are they shown to appease us?

Posted on: 2015/5/29 19:00

Re: Fulop to solicit proposals from for-profit c
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
So now we have to look at that crumbling eyesore for another 5 years until FOL gets kicked out...that place is a dump..granted FOL has done amazing things to keep that place afloat, but it's time to get out of the way and let Journal Squatre develop accordingly! C'mon FOL, everyone knows that y'all did great things, but it's time to eat your pride, step aside and let the big boys turn this into a world class performance space...not a place where 12 people go to pay 5 bucks to see cool movies from the 70s. Y'all must be tired of fighting and working for free by now...amazing that y'all have the gumption to keep the fight alive. I also commend FOL for having to gonads to resist and fight the machine and win...unfortunately, the machine's intentions are for the good of us all, not just a handful of well meaning souls!

Posted on: 2015/5/29 18:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 16:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/29 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is the best news I have heard in a long time. Congrats to the FOLS.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting update - a Hudson County judge ruled this morning that the FOLs lease to run the Loews until 2020 is valid and cannot be voided by the city.

Source

Posted on: 2015/5/29 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If the city went the private route, it would become a money-pit just like United Water. Every year, we get hit 3 times, water bonds payment, rising water rates and rising sewerage rates. (The reason I am against Fulop keeping the $31.5 million from the MUA.) Likewise, a private company would expect JC taxpayers to underwrite the cost of infrastructure of the Lowes while they keep profits. They would be more expensive than the present FOL. Granted the city should invest money in the place but the spending would be out of control under a private firm.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i see that diana ross, crosby stills & nash, gladys kinght and a bunch of other artists will be performing at the kings theater. nothing for loews. how long before the current obstructionists face reality and realize that they are obstructing the productive use of the community resources?!

Well, if it wasn't for the 'current obstructionsts' there would not be a Loews. A previous administration wanted to give the property to Hartz Development who had plans to place a commercial building there.
as i have stated numerous times, i am grateful those people saved the loews from the wrecking ball, but it is still a work in progress if the city can find someone to renovate the theater properly and in a timely manner and also bring entertainment that is of value to a wider audience, then the city should seize the opportunity

renovations on the loews started in 2010 and the theater is now fully restored and is enhancing/entertaining the community; loews jersey city?

Posted on: 2015/2/1 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i see that diana ross, crosby stills & nash, gladys kinght and a bunch of other artists will be performing at the kings theater. nothing for loews. how long before the current obstructionists face reality and realize that they are obstructing the productive use of the community resources?!

Well, if it wasn't for the 'current obstructionsts' there would not be a Loews. A previous administration wanted to give the property to Hartz Development who had plans to place a commercial building there.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/1 8:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Wouldn't you want assurance of late night PATH service before you responded to an RFP?

Posted on: 2015/1/4 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
any updates/progress with transforming the loews to new management.

another interesting article about historic theater in flatbush, brooklyn

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/rea ... n-middle-span-region&_r=0

Posted on: 2015/1/4 3:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
ny is moving ahead with renovation of brooklyn historic theater

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/08/2 ... ter-to-reopen-in-january/

Posted on: 2014/8/25 13:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/20 20:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
As I've posted earlier, the hard work was done ten to fifteen years ago by a dedicated and hard-working group of volunteers who believed in the theatre. One by one, they all left and were disgusted with the "management" in charge.

If it weren't for film shoots, many other things (carpeting, cove lighting, marquee underside, etc) would never have gotten done.

Colin's method of lighting was bare bulbs hanging on pig tails. When the public events began, that didn't pass code so cheap fixtures were bought at Kohl's or Home Depot.

If people knew the truth, their current lies and spin wouldn't get the management a hot dog at Boulevard Drinks!

Posted on: 2014/7/29 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I've actually been impressed with the amount FOL has accomplished, within the limitations imposed by their landlord (the city). That said, I only know about it because of the recent posts on their website detailing their renovation work, which has only been actively updated since this whole Fulop RFP situation.

When I talk to people involved in the art scene in JC, and lots of downtown residents, few have any idea who FOL is or what they do. ESPECIALLY the younger contingent (under 40) who are very politically active and largely voted for Fulop. If FOL had the kind of social media engagement they have now, but starting 5 years ago, they would have had potentially 10K+ supporters comprised of the most politically active citizens of JC instead of the ~2K signing their petition. A real missed opportunity.

I think my stance at this point is that the FOL are technically correct about their lease, but too much public perception is that they are ineffectual and disorganized or people have no idea who they are. And many of those people who have no opinion or a negative opinion of them are siding with Fulop because he has a history of supporting the arts in downtown (judging the 4th st arts cook offs, etc.).

The FOL has been at this for 10+ years. When they started they had a decent sized volunteer group which has dwindled down to a handful. You never find more than a couple of people there at any given time. It is sad but if the Loew's is to attain any type of status, the big dogs have to be brought in.

And there were a heck of a lot less than 50 events they say they hold a year.

Exactly right. The amount of volunteers right now is small, mostly because the vast majority of them are turned off, or disappointed, with the way things are done. FOL has failed miserably at managing the Loew's. Did they save the theater from demolition? YES. Does that entitle them to a lifetime of overseeing the (mis)management of the theater? Heck no! If only the FOL had made HALF THE EFFORT in the past to advertise and succeed at their goals, as they are now putting into convincing people they are entitled to the management of the theater, things may not have come to this.

How hard is it for the FOL to go on all the local forums/BBS (such as JCLIST) to advertise/post about upcoming movie showings? That's an easy win. I have been to those showings and they are ALWAYS sparsely attended. Pretty disappointing.

As for them claiming 50 events/days not being enough... WOW! I doubt they even hold 30 events per year.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 14:02

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017