Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Priced Out of Brooklyn? Try Manhattan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I agree - I grew up in Queens, and "the City" means Manhattan. Brooklyn/Queens/StatenIsland/Bronx =/= "the city".

There's only one "the city", and that's Manhattan. The other boroughs can dream/whine/pretend as much as they want, but they're not part of "The City". They're part of "NYC".

Hence: "NYC" =/= "The City".

Staten Island still sucks.

Not if you want a suburban lifestyle with NYC's low RE taxes. But clearly empathizing with those who think differently from you is not your strength.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I agree - I grew up in Queens, and "the City" means Manhattan. Brooklyn/Queens/StatenIsland/Bronx =/= "the city".

There's only one "the city", and that's Manhattan. The other boroughs can dream/whine/pretend as much as they want, but they're not part of "The City". They're part of "NYC".

Staten Island still sucks.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:

Yes and all else being equal, people would still rather live in NYC than NJ. No need to get butthurt about it.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/1 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:
Only Manhattan is "The City".

Anyone who grew up in Jersey, any of the five boros, Long Island or Westchester refers to Manhattan, and Manhattan only, as the city.

Anyone who states otherwise is obviously from somewhere else.

Also Jersey pride and swag is strong. Maybe not for Brooklyn transplants in Maplewood who are really from Texas or Ohio, but anybody really from Jersey is proud and will let you know.

So much nonsense is spewed on these boards that its a joke.

There are some great neighborhoods in Brooklyn and there are also some dumps. Your money can go far in some places and not so far in others. Same goes for JC, Manhattan, Queens and the list goes on.

The City =/= NYC

Brooklyn, Queens are NYC

Posted on: 2015/6/1 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:

Anyone who grew up in Jersey, any of the five boros, Long Island or Westchester refers to Manhattan, and Manhattan only, as the city.

Also Jersey pride and swag is strong. Maybe not for Brooklyn transplants in Maplewood who are really from Texas or Ohio, but anybody really from Jersey is proud and will let you know.

There are some great neighborhoods in Brooklyn and there are also some dumps. Your money can go far in some places and not so far in others. Same goes for JC, Manhattan, Queens and the list goes on.

I second this. Having grown up in Bergen County we referred to Manhattan as"The City" not Brooklyn or Queens, everyone knew this.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 18:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/1 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
You people are never going to get it. Gowanus is THE CITY, and Jersey City is little better than the suburbs. City living "lite" for people for whom parking even registers...

Huh? How do you reach that conclusion?

Perhaps you are not getting that we are getting it? Because, from what I can tell, we ALL get it. That doesn't stop one (definitely not me) from seeing the silliness of it all. I get that people would rather be able to say they live in "THE CITY" (while putting up with ridiculous situations) than to live across the river "in joisy...eew". If someone wants to live right next to a shit river, cool. If you want to live in a place that takes you over an hour (sometimes close to two!) to reach Manhattan, awesome. if you want to ride the dreadful and packed beyond belief G or L trains, good for you. Whatever floats someone's boat.

Personally, I am totally happy to say I live in JC. I like it here, warts and all: it is a cool enough town with good restaurants and interesting dynamics, my commute is enviable (and better than that of almost everyone I know, save a for a few folks that can get to work in 30 minutes, or less) and I find that I can meet and get to know people easily.

+1. JC offers me a little bit of everything -- you get your Queens, Bk, Manhattan, all rolled into one at a great price and you get to keep a car for occasional use. Hard to beat that package across the river. I'm always amused at the subset of JC denizens who're in denial of their "joizy" situation. Since I moved here a few years ago, I've laughed all the way to the bank.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
You people are never going to get it. Gowanus is THE CITY, and Jersey City is little better than the suburbs. City living "lite" for people for whom parking even registers...

Huh? How do you reach that conclusion?

Perhaps you are not getting that we are getting it? Because, from what I can tell, we ALL get it. That doesn't stop one (definitely not me) from seeing the silliness of it all. I get that people would rather be able to say they live in "THE CITY" (while putting up with ridiculous situations) than to live across the river "in joisy...eew". If someone wants to live right next to a shit river, cool. If you want to live in a place that takes you over an hour (sometimes close to two!) to reach Manhattan, awesome. if you want to ride the dreadful and packed beyond belief G or L trains, good for you. Whatever floats someone's boat.

Personally, I am totally happy to say I live in JC. I like it here, warts and all: it is a cool enough town with good restaurants and interesting dynamics, my commute is enviable (and better than that of almost everyone I know, save a for a few folks that can get to work in 30 minutes, or less) and I find that I can meet and get to know people easily.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Well, it sucks being priced out of anywhere you want to be!

No, it's actually just a fact of life for all but the 0.1%. Feeling it's injustice that there's something you want but can't afford is somewhat pathological.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

I love people like you who completely hate living here, yet stay.

You consider going back to Ohio ?

'just sayin......

Posted on: 2015/6/1 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/1 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

Posted on: 2015/5/31 4:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/31 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:
It was also affordable. But, it was a sort of underground thing that evolved into what it is today. You can't quite fake it and get the same results. If you have ever read Malcolm Gladwell's Tipping Point, he makes some really good points about how some brands that seem to become HUGE overnight are really a long developing thing brought about, sustained, fostered and then expanded upon by "influencers". That's pretty much what happened with BK: you had artists, hip hop, the weirdos, rebels and pioneers, and it all snowballed into what it is today. The irony? Most of those people that made BK huge and into what it is today can't actually afford to live there anymore.

Well said (written).

Same could be said about SOHO and the LES - both wastelands when I was kid.

Does anyone else remember the breast beating over "Soho & Tribeca no longer being affordable for artists and where ever would they go, this was the death of art in NYC!" The apocalypse comes regularly it seems. Except for those lucky or prescient enough to buy. In 84 I knew a musician & craftsman who had bought a loft building with a few buddies. For $40k. In Hoboken. Ka-ching! Hope he's enjoying his retirement. Whose turn is it next: The Bronx? Ironbound? Greenville?

Posted on: 2015/5/29 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
It was also affordable. But, it was a sort of underground thing that evolved into what it is today. You can't quite fake it and get the same results. If you have ever read Malcolm Gladwell's Tipping Point, he makes some really good points about how some brands that seem to become HUGE overnight are really a long developing thing brought about, sustained, fostered and then expanded upon by "influencers". That's pretty much what happened with BK: you had artists, hip hop, the weirdos, rebels and pioneers, and it all snowballed into what it is today. The irony? Most of those people that made BK huge and into what it is today can't actually afford to live there anymore.

Well said (written).

Same could be said about SOHO and the LES - both wastelands when I was kid.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I don't get it - what was the trick that Brooklyn used to catapult itself to the top of the "hip and hot" list? I've been to DUMBO, park slope and other areas many times; yes,they are nice, but not worth Manhattan+ prices.

Perhaps JC can use the same trick / formula???

It's not a trick and it is not a "formula" you can just replicate. The Brooklyn "brand" developed over two decades, in unintended and subtle ways. As someone else mentioned, it was the refuge of those without the means to open up shop in Manhattan, and it was rebellious to choose to live there (you know, "roughing it" across the East River!) so it developed a following among the counter-culture set. It was also affordable. But, it was a sort of underground thing that evolved into what it is today. You can't quite fake it and get the same results. If you have ever read Malcolm Gladwell's Tipping Point, he makes some really good points about how some brands that seem to become HUGE overnight are really a long developing thing brought about, sustained, fostered and then expanded upon by "influencers". That's pretty much what happened with BK: you had artists, hip hop, the weirdos, rebels and pioneers, and it all snowballed into what it is today. The irony? Most of those people that made BK huge and into what it is today can't actually afford to live there anymore.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Have not peeked into the waters of the Gowanus Canal since a kid, is it still bubbling with festering shit?

Oh the yuppies must luv that.'

Actually, a few months ago (maybe around six?) there were a bunch of blog and news articles about (ridiculously) overpriced properties and rentals near the Gowanus canal that were suffering from sewer backups and would literally force tenants out of their properties due to the small and conditions. It is INSANE that people would CHOOSE to live next to such a contaminated canal, that regularly backs up into properties nearby, just so they can say they live in BK. The real joke is that even properties in the area are commanding a premium price because Whole Foods opened that huge outpost a few blocks away.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 2:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Have not peeked into the waters of the Gowanus Canal since a kid, is it still bubbling with festering shit?

This guy swam it and didn't emerge as Swamp Thing. Perhaps it's looking up.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/29 0:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
If Brownsville "home of the brave" is too far along there is always East New York.

"Totes. I aspire to someday relocate to a hip, artisanal shoebox in Brooklyn for the price of a JC 3-bed with parking, preferably as close to the gowanus as possible if not in the gowanus itself. And if I can't have the gowanus, I'll take Brownsville. Who's with me?[/quote]

Posted on: 2015/5/28 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The "Jersey" brand absolutely hurts Jersey City, especially since it is very explicitly denoted in the name of the town, haha.

And there are people who literally have no interest in leaving the confines of NY State or the five boroughs.

But as it is, plenty, PLENTY of people are moving here from Brooklyn and Manhattan. Not so much Queens, because a lot of pretty cool neighborhoods in Queens are the same price or cheaper than Downtown JC.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I don't get it - what was the trick that Brooklyn used to catapult itself to the top of the "hip and hot" list? I've been to DUMBO, park slope and other areas many times; yes,they are nice, but not worth Manhattan+ prices.

It kinda is. Brooklyn started thriving based on its art and food scenes. Unless you're an established restauranteur with serious backers, opening a restaurant in Manhattan is completely impossible. So, they went to Brooklyn.

The "Jersey" disadvantage does exist, absolutely, but even that seems to be slowly dying. The idea of a young, hip, upwardly mobile person saying "I want to leave Manhattan for Brooklyn" was completely absurd 15 years ago, and that changed quickly. Doesn't mean that the JC "brand" is going to do the same thing, but it does mean that perceptions can change quickly if they reach a tipping point.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:

Its called Hip Hop, the only artists that ever came out of Jersey City was PM Dawn and Joe Budden both were washed up before they began. . If you never listened to hip hop Brooklyn is mentioned more times than any other borough including Manhattan. I can't recall one tune with Jersey City mentioned. My Uber driver from last week who lives in Bayonne told me his daughter moved to Brooklyn across the road from the housing projects Jay Z lived and she was so excited. LOL

Posted on: 2015/5/28 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:

I think it started with Bk Heights, Park Slope, and Carroll Gardens that developed over time as being more attainable alternatives to Manhattan in the 90s and early 2000's. Then Billyburg emerged and it all went to pot. Now Bk is so hot, a townhome within flooding distance of the Gowanus Superfund site commands a premium.

As stated by Jared Kushner, JC's big disadvantage is the word "Jersey" in its name. Had we merged with our other Hudson County peers and became simply "Hudson City" the "jersey" factor would get mitigated I think. Hoboken just doesn't have the same stigma despite its Bro'boken rep.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/28 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Sorry but Brooklyn is way colder than Jersy City even it's ghettos.

Totes. I aspire to someday relocate to a hip, artisanal shoebox in Brooklyn for the price of a JC 3-bed with parking, preferably as close to the gowanus as possible if not in the gowanus itself. And if I can't have the gowanus, I'll take Brownsville. Who's with me?

Posted on: 2015/5/28 11:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry but Brooklyn is way colder than Jersy City even it's ghettos.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The funniest thing is telling somebody who moved here in the past 10 years that no parts of Brooklyn were cool in any way. Many newcomers really have a hard time grasping it or understanding how it could ever be blue collar/sketchy/ghetto.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I looked at real estate in BK a year ago, both rentals and condos, and it was an eye opening experience. It is surprisingly overpriced, even not so nice areas. In fact, my experience was that you could find many, many good apartments in nice, desirable areas of Manhattan for less money. It's quite ironic that people once derided as B&Ters are now getting priced out of Brooklyn into Manhattan.

Funnier still is that the NYT Real Estate section never fails to disappoint by highlighting what amounts to year-old news and trends.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 23:17

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017