Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 24 »

Re: What's going there?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users
good point. i'd love a diner in that area. i can't stand going to brownstone, it's wayy too busy all the time.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's almost humorous how many "cafes" and "burger places" and "pizza places" have opened up, but still only one packed-to-the-gills bagel place in all of downtown, and only one diner which has an hour-long wait on weekends. It's totally crazy.

It's like somebody got the memo, about 2-3 years too late, that burger bars were a trendy thing, and so we get bombarded with them.

In all honesty, there are now a LOT of places to grab a great burger. Like, a ton (Dullboy included, by the way - their double-patty is OUTSTANDING).

I just wish we had more original things opening up. Things that fill needs. First world problems, I know.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Hmm hopefully it is a nice small bar, instead of what others have said it's slated to be (another burger joint).

First and Erie is gonna be?..another burger joint.

I hope they call it Erie Burger, at least.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
we asked the bartender repeatedly to turn the music down. he would, but then he'd sloooowly creep it back up to deafening levels. we were like WHO are you playing that for?! we are your ONLY customers.

way to not know your audience, now-unemployed barkeep.

I long ago concluded the loud music in pubs was for the staff who couldn't give a shit whether the patrons could hear each other. I used to play in a bar pool league in Lower Manhattan, and it was interesting to see which bars prioritized talk over music. It's always a chuckle watching a TV show where people in a trendy bar or disco are talking in a group, rather than screaming in each others ear. TV is such a fantasyland!

I'll extend the mystery to weddings and B'nai Mitzvot. Family and friends have come hundreds or thousands of miles to see one another for the 1st time in years, and can't talk because some douchebag DJ thinks his job is to be so loud people will be forced to dance.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hmm hopefully it is a nice small bar, instead of what others have said it's slated to be (another burger joint).

Posted on: 2015/5/27 16:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Re: SW corner Barrow/Bright,

My girlfriend and I were walking past on Monday, and the door was open so we peaked in. An older guy greeted us and said he was building out a restaurant. We asked what kind of food, and he said pizza, pasta, etc.

Sadly, I'm not joking.

He then said he might also offer some traditional Indian food.

He also mentioned that the city was giving him a really hard time with the build out, with permits, etc.

Blerg!!!!!! Not only another pizza place but another place without a clear vision.

Thanks for the deets.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 16:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users
the space on first street at erie, right across from torico??? I peaked in one morning when the back door was open, i could see a bar.. they just layed tiles down on the front stoop. anybody have any more information than that? (sorry if it's already been discussed, i didn't see it)

Posted on: 2015/5/27 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Re: SW corner Barrow/Bright,

My girlfriend and I were walking past on Monday, and the door was open so we peaked in. An older guy greeted us and said he was building out a restaurant. We asked what kind of food, and he said pizza, pasta, etc.

Sadly, I'm not joking.

He then said he might also offer some traditional Indian food.

He also mentioned that the city was giving him a really hard time with the build out, with permits, etc.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 14:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have and detail about the SW corner of Bright and Barrow street. The garage doors are gone and a new facade has been erected.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Wow....so great to read everyone's comments about the music volume at Bar Majestic. Thought it was just my husband and me YELLING at each other across the tiny table. Razza is a terrific replacement.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Merchant closed and was replaced by Park & Sixth. Majestic (which was an atrocious bar, which years ago used to bill itself as a romantic wine bar, yet had a shit wine list and played music at insane levels) closed down and was replaced by Razza. In my book, THAT was a huge improvement.

ohmygod Majestic. what a shitshow that place was. I'll never understand why a restaurant would play music at dance-floor-levels. makes it impossible to enjoy mediocre wine with friends.

Back then, my now ex and I gave it a try twice and gave up on the place. I was ready to throw in the towel after one visit. I just don't understand how they dared bill themselves as a romantic wine bar. It was IMPOSSIBLE to have a conversation with your dinner date or companion without having to repeat yourself multiple times. Or, you could always wait until there was a break in between songs. And, their wine list was indeed mediocre.

I was there early on for a friend's birthday. it was a weeknight, and our little crowd made up about 80% of the clientele.

we asked the bartender repeatedly to turn the music down. he would, but then he'd sloooowly creep it back up to deafening levels. we were like WHO are you playing that for?! we are your ONLY customers.

way to not know your audience, now-unemployed barkeep.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Anybody know what's coming in on Newark Ave in the space between Skinner's Loft and LITM?

New apartments + ground floor restaurant:

https://www.facebook.com/2027653297378 ... 684191276/?type=3&theater

Posted on: 2015/5/26 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody know what's coming in on Newark Ave in the space between Skinner's Loft and LITM?

Posted on: 2015/5/26 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I passed by Jordan's (on Newark Ave) today and noticed that it and the adjacent building were in the process of being demolished. any idea of what's going there

Posted on: 2015/5/23 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

penumbra wrote:
Poorly phrased on my part, but I miss the vibe of the Merchant. P&6 is a great place, just not the same. I was more thinking of the plethora of pizza joints on Newark.

Light Horse is indeed a great place, but again, it's more of a high end place. Triumph (or whatever it's called now) was always hit or miss in every incarnation. Amelia's was fine for food, but a terrible bar.

To each their own...

I actually agree with everything you say. The Merchant was AWESOME. It had a great feel to it, very welcoming, and a lot of regulars. Not sure what happened, or why they closed.

I am not at all a fan of Amelia's (in fact, I am puzzled by all the love, as I find their dishes to be uninspired and the ambiance dreary) and Bristo Triomphe (formerly Bistro La Sur) is OK. I actually enjoy their food, and find the owner to be a likable fellow who is always attentive (in the past, he has improvised a table so we could sit down when the restaurant was already full) so I can't find much fault with them. The food is good, too.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Merchant closed and was replaced by Park & Sixth. Majestic (which was an atrocious bar, which years ago used to bill itself as a romantic wine bar, yet had a shit wine list and played music at insane levels) closed down and was replaced by Razza. In my book, THAT was a huge improvement.

ohmygod Majestic. what a shitshow that place was. I'll never understand why a restaurant would play music at dance-floor-levels. makes it impossible to enjoy mediocre wine with friends.

Back then, my now ex and I gave it a try twice and gave up on the place. I was ready to throw in the towel after one visit. I just don't understand how they dared bill themselves as a romantic wine bar. It was IMPOSSIBLE to have a conversation with your dinner date or companion without having to repeat yourself multiple times. Or, you could always wait until there was a break in between songs. And, their wine list was indeed mediocre.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 15:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/3 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
Poorly phrased on my part, but I miss the vibe of the Merchant. P&6 is a great place, just not the same. I was more thinking of the plethora of pizza joints on Newark.

Light Horse is indeed a great place, but again, it's more of a high end place. Triumph (or whatever it's called now) was always hit or miss in every incarnation. Amelia's was fine for food, but a terrible bar.

To each their own...

Posted on: 2015/5/21 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
It looks like the old Super Discount space (189 Newark Ave.) is going to be a restaurant per the construction permits pasted all over the front window. I'm still curious about what the future holds for the old Sleep Cheap Furniture space (155 Newark).

Posted on: 2015/5/21 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/5/21 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

penumbra wrote:

Quote:
Oh, barf. I guess White Star is getting lame.

Local business does well and opens multiple locations in underserved areas where the owner can be nearby to assess quality and consistency. Paulus Hook was devoid of a decent bar before the second WS opened.

Not much in the way of originality, but in the wake of low key taverns like the Merchant closing and being replacing by fancy pizza shops, looks to me like progress.

You are getting your bars confused. Merchant closed and was replaced by Park & Sixth. Majestic (which was an atrocious bar, which years ago used to bill itself as a romantic wine bar, yet had a shit wine list and played music at insane levels) closed down and was replaced by Razza. In my book, THAT was a huge improvement.

As for claiming that PH was devoid of a decent bar, I guess you have never been to Lighthorse Tavern. You should go. It's one of JC'S best places.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 9:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/3 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:

Walked past it the other day. Appears to be street-level offices for NJ.com. That could be interesting. If I'm not mistaken, they own the Jersey Journal, which in turn put the "Journal" in "Journal Square."

If this is true, really great news for them and for JC. The company is Advance Publications and their offices on JSQ were miserable. They own NJ.com, masslive, mlive and a bunch of other regionals. Good local media, though saddled with print historical business and serious technical limitations as a result.

More professionals working in something other than banks at Exchange Place is great for the health of the community, in my book.

Quote:

Local business does well and opens multiple locations in underserved areas where the owner can be nearby to assess quality and consistency. Paulus Hook was devoid of a decent bar before the second WS opened.

Not much in the way of originality, but in the wake of low key taverns like the Merchant closing and being replacing by fancy pizza shops, looks to me like progress.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 4:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bearbear2013 wrote:
Shell gas station on 12th Street between Erie and Manila: they're doing some sort of repairs to their gas tanks, something to do with it being state mandated repairs. Don't know the entire story but that's what's happening.

I asked a pair of PA cops leaving their lot across the street if they knew what that Shell was going to be. They said "we were told it's gonna be a McDonalds".

WTF knows if they're BS'ing or not, or were told the truth or not. With McD's closing 700 some odd stores, it seems odd they would build a new one from the ground up, but shrug.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 4:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
JC Made is gone too? Oh my goodness!

Posted on: 2015/5/20 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

I guess by the year 2020, all bars/restaurants in downtown JC will be called either White Star or Park & Sixth. Sounds really cool.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 13:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
The new White Star location will be in Newport, I believe they're taking over the Azucar space on Washington.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 12:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have any idea what's going on at 311 First Street? It's currently a surface parking lot, but the parking tenants have been given notice that it's not going to be a parking lot for much longer.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Anyone have any info on where the white star folks are opening their next location?

They've teased a few photos on instagram, but they look like they could just be concept renderings:

https://instagram.com/p/2qiYVkoaJZ

https://instagram.com/p/2qx7uFIaFI

Hopefully it's called something other than White Star.

I really hope it is something other than another pub. I'm going to miss La Conguita.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Yes, Park and Sixth is starting to feel like a chain, and my fear is White Star is as well (the multiple locations with same name thing really irritates me for some reason). Check out Kitchen at Grove, might be what you are looking for, third_street_hats.

Another thumbs up for The Kitchen at Grove Station. Excellent food, very good service, decent prices. They got a very positive (and, well deserved) NYT review recently.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, Park and Sixth is starting to feel like a chain, and my fear is White Star is as well (the multiple locations with same name thing really irritates me for some reason). Check out Kitchen at Grove, might be what you are looking for, third_street_hats.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Anyone have any info on where the white star folks are opening their next location?

They've teased a few photos on instagram, but they look like they could just be concept renderings:

https://instagram.com/p/2qiYVkoaJZ

https://instagram.com/p/2qx7uFIaFI

I was told back in November that they were going to take over La Conguita.

Interesting. Thanks! The designer is the same who did Walters in Ft. Greene. Would be great if this place ended up with a menu similar to theirs.

Grove could use a higher end seasonal American spot. Thirty Acres is great for special occasions but not exactly something you could pop into when you have visitors in town, new Park and 6th feels too much like an upscale chain restaurant to me, and Skinner's entree menu is kind of an overpriced nightmare.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 19:03

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 24 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017