Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Ellen Simon: Equitable funding formula for charter schools would be ‘devastating’ to district
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
As far as the 'pay the students and parents' I'd almost agree, but deliver the money from existing state funding levels, and make the money available to graduates who finish with good grades-and use the money towards college. Carrot on a stick type reward!

Personally - I'd be happy to see school funding initially increased by the 10% or so to cover the cost. What it might do is highlight the wasted spend in other areas - and I'd include charter schools, common core, Abbott, and jail in that. We're currently throwing a lot of money at the problem everywhere - except to those who might actually benefit from it.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 11:34

Re: Ellen Simon: Equitable funding formula for charter schools would be ‘devastating’ to district
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster may be a product of the JC schools, as his/her reading comprehension is way below suburban school levels. I haven't advocated for what he/she thinks I have. In this thread, my comments are that the charter schools cannot (and the court has supported this) expect to be funded to the exact level of regular JC schools-because the funding formula weighs parental income (via school lunch participation) and percentages of ESL and classified students to determine supplemental aid levels.

As far as paying taxes relative to the value of your ratable, ask yourself this. You have two towns, both with 20,000 residents. One town is more affluent, with homes averaging 750K. The other has homes averaging 500K. Both have the same number of students, teachers, schools, etc. School costs are similar. Of course the town with the less valuable homes will be paying a higher percentage of their home value.

My other point is that asking suburban taxpayers for more money for either charter or regular school is insane-first, it's not happening. Second, with the poor performance of JC schools, it's been proven that throwing more money at it hasn't, and won't, work.

As far as the 'pay the students and parents' I'd almost agree, but deliver the money from existing state funding levels, and make the money available to graduates who finish with good grades-and use the money towards college. Carrot on a stick type reward!

Posted on: 2015/5/27 10:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
In a perfect world, it would be wonderful if residents of Jersey City could pay for our own education system. The question is whether or not they have the wealth to do so. Do those living in Section 8 have the income to go about spending the money?

I view this as I view just about everything else... there is always a price. You pay it now or you pay it later, but at some point it is paid.

Remove funding and remove the opportunities of children and you'll breed criminals. Nobody is stupid enough to rob a Section 8 house, but they'll be sure to ride out to Short Hills mall to find a Lexus...

You can't save all, but you can certainly make an attempt to prevent it.

Well said. What Monroe really wants is for everyone to pay a more or less flat school tax, unrelated to the value of their property, thus taking all the progressivity and redistribution out of the system. In his mind there's no reason someone should pay 3x the tax on a home 3x the value of another, they should only pay just enough to fund their own local schools. This has been soundly ruled unconstitutional, but he wants what he wants. The effectiveness of JC schools is incidental to his argument. I'd like to see the numbers whether that 25% more he claims isn't all connected to the far higher proportion of special needs and ESL students than any suburban district.

Simplest way to get graduation rates to 100% - pay the kids and parents. Give parents $1k/year for engaging. Give the kids $1-2k/year into a college/post-ed fund - theirs to keep on graduation. Court fines could be drawn from those funds. Grad rates would soar and juvenile crime would plummet. Plus it could go a long way to solving the student debt mountain.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 9:56

Edited by dtjcview on 2015/5/27 10:23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
In a perfect world, it would be wonderful if residents of Jersey City could pay for our own education system. The question is whether or not they have the wealth to do so. Do those living in Section 8 have the income to go about spending the money?

I view this as I view just about everything else... there is always a price. You pay it now or you pay it later, but at some point it is paid.

Remove funding and remove the opportunities of children and you'll breed criminals. Nobody is stupid enough to rob a Section 8 house, but they'll be sure to ride out to Short Hills mall to find a Lexus...

Well said. What Monroe really wants is for everyone to pay a more or less flat school tax, unrelated to the value of their property, thus taking all the progressivity and redistribution out of the system. In his mind there's no reason someone should pay 3x the tax on a home 3x the value of another, they should only pay just enough to fund their own local schools. This has been soundly ruled unconstitutional, but he wants what he wants. The effectiveness of JC schools is incidental to his argument. I'd like to see the numbers whether that 25% more he claims isn't all connected to the far higher proportion of special needs and ESL students than any suburban district.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
This from the Center on Budget & Policy Priorities - on average, US states spend 25% of their tax revenues. It varies - West Virginia spends 10 percent of its budget on K-12 education, while Vermont spends 32 percent.

Who gets the biggest "bang for their buck"? Where does NJ stand?

Of every city in Maryland, Baltimore's public schools receive the second most funding per student. Yet their schools remain abysmal. Just like JC, this shows that the problem is not a lack of funding, but parents who do not emphasize education (if they are in the picture at all), and a generally destructive urban culture.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mary ... 3-20150111-htmlstory.html

Posted on: 2015/5/26 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I believe somebody posted this link on another topic - http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cities ... ns-really-pay-taxes-2015/ - but it's useful again here as a reference point. Jersey City does not have the highest overall % of incoming going towards taxes, rather we rank 15th out of the top 100 cities in the US. Our real-estate taxes are quite high, as a %, though.

I would curious if anyone can provide a link to comparable data on what various municipalities spend on schools.

Here you go, and it breaks down by % local support, state support (ie other taxpayers), and Federal support.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/guide/2013/

Posted on: 2015/5/26 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
This from the Center on Budget & Policy Priorities - on average, US states spend 25% of their tax revenues. It varies - West Virginia spends 10 percent of its budget on K-12 education, while Vermont spends 32 percent.

Who gets the biggest "bang for their buck"? Where does NJ stand?

Posted on: 2015/5/26 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I believe somebody posted this link on another topic - http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cities ... ns-really-pay-taxes-2015/ - but it's useful again here as a reference point. Jersey City does not have the highest overall % of incoming going towards taxes, rather we rank 15th out of the top 100 cities in the US. Our real-estate taxes are quite high, as a %, though.

I would curious if anyone can provide a link to comparable data on what various municipalities spend on schools.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
25% over 10 years is actually not unreasonable, and given that JC pays not even 1/6th the cost of JC schools it's an epic bargain for JC taxpayers.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Since 2005, the local cost of education has increased more than 25%, but the real cost is from our state taxes, before the 1970s there was no income tax, citizens voted for an income tax for schools and in the mid 1960's there was no sales tax. Citizens again voted for a sales tax for schools. Anyone who pays sales tax or an income tax are paying for the funds for public schools. We were promised a relief from property taxes but those taxes were not removed. Instead, we go additional taxes.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Property taxes haven't skyrocketed everywhere in NJ, mostly just in towns that receive small amounts of state funding for schools-as most of the money is sent to Abbott districts. Pebble noted Short Hills/Millburn; it's a prime example. Even with a billion dollar ratable (the Mall at Short Hills), the cost of running schools ends up with residents paying the highest taxes in the state. 86% of the schools costs come from local taxes. And the per student cost is $17,877 vs $22,273 per student in JC.

So, yes, suburban taxpayers are doing their fair share carrying JC taxpayers kids on their backs. It's more than fair and equitable, dollar wise. If JC parents want better results they have to get more involved, sending more good money after bad isn't going to fix a thing.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Nope. Don't put your hands into other people's pockets and whine for more money for your own kids. Dig into your own pocket a bit more rather than expect others to carry the cost of educating your own kids. Right now, Jersey City residents only pay about 16% of the cost of educating their own kids, and it also spends about 25% more per kid than the state average. And you demand that other NJ taxpayers pay MORE to educate JC kids? Nonsense.

Except that's not what the NJ state constitution mandates. The State, under Article VIII, is obligated to provide a " thorough and efficient system" of free public schools. Admittedly, exactly what type of school system is open to interpretation; however I think it misconstrues the intent of the law to say it allows for separate, unequal educational systems, solely dependent on parents' wealth, when public education is meant to provide for all children in the state.

The intent of the law was never to put families in poverty with high property taxes the reason 'affordable housing' is now part of the every day conversation. It is the reason I have said, we don't need affordable housing, we need affordable taxes. Years ago, Pennsylvania tried to pass an education law similar to NJ but it failed, Pennsylvania did not want property taxes to skyrocket as it did in NJ.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Nope. Don't put your hands into other people's pockets and whine for more money for your own kids. Dig into your own pocket a bit more rather than expect others to carry the cost of educating your own kids. Right now, Jersey City residents only pay about 16% of the cost of educating their own kids, and it also spends about 25% more per kid than the state average. And you demand that other NJ taxpayers pay MORE to educate JC kids? Nonsense.

Except that's not what the NJ state constitution mandates. The State, under Article VIII, is obligated to provide a " thorough and efficient system" of free public schools. Admittedly, exactly what type of school system is open to interpretation; however I think it misconstrues the intent of the law to say it allows for separate, unequal educational systems, solely dependent on parents' wealth, when public education is meant to provide for all children in the state.

Sorry, but NJ taxpayers already pay 25% more per JC student than the state average, with piss poor results. In any case, the plea for more money for charter school kids is also set by law-what they're asking for is parity with regular JC school kids, ignoring the fact that charter school kids have more affluent parents, have fewer kids classified, and more have English as their language. Those three things mean they aren't entitled to more supplemental money to overcome them.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I think the people behind it think that regular JC schools would keep the massive amount of state aid, and that the other taxpayers across the state of NJ would be required to pony up any additional funding. There are a couple of logical, let alone legal reasons this won't happen-not to mention that NJ taxpayers are already taxed to the max.

The simple solution would be for JC to raise its own taxes to educate its own kids, if they're so worried about the level of education provided currently. It's all for the kids, right-except when you have to pay for it yourself it would seem . . .

If the average income was able to pay for it then they would. Alas, they cannot. It behooves the entire state to not strand children without the opportunity of an education unless, of course, the idea of the rising tide floats all boats is a false premise...

Posted on: 2015/5/26 19:12
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/5/26 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I think the people behind it think that regular JC schools would keep the massive amount of state aid, and that the other taxpayers across the state of NJ would be required to pony up any additional funding. There are a couple of logical, let alone legal reasons this won't happen-not to mention that NJ taxpayers are already taxed to the max.

The simple solution would be for JC to raise its own taxes to educate its own kids, if they're so worried about the level of education provided currently. It's all for the kids, right-except when you have to pay for it yourself it would seem . . .

If the average income was able to pay for it then they would. Alas, they cannot. It behooves the entire state to not strand children without the opportunity of an education unless, of course, the idea of the rising tide floats all boats is a false premise...

Posted on: 2015/5/26 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
All of this talk of charter schools but do they meet the same qualifications? This charter school did not:
http://fox6now.com/2013/08/18/college ... ool-diploma-is-worthless/

Posted on: 2015/5/26 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/5/26 14:31
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/22 16:53

Ellen Simon: Equitable funding formula for charter schools would be ‘devastating’ to district

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/30 20:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Board of Education member Ellen Simon said that a recent resolution passed by the Jersey City Council ? urging Governor Chris Christie and the State Legislature approve an equitable funding formula for charter schools ? would cause an ?immediate budget crisis? for the district if implemented.

http://www.realjerseycity.com/ellen-s ... -devastating-to-district/

Posted on: 2015/5/22 16:15

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017