Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
PATH installed 8 6x5 billboards permanently affixed to the middle of the Grove station. Unbelievable taking up so much space on an already crowded platform not to mention the reduced space for their two year elevator project. PATH "Tear down this wall !"

Are those just for ads? I thought maybe the pillars behind them were undergoing some sort of (admittedly half-assed) renovation.

If those giant walls are just billboards, that is seriously effed-up.

Posted on: 2015/6/13 22:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/30 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You probably didn't get an extra cookie with your milk in class today so no problem. The billboards just went up. No?

Nope. They've been up for weeks. Probably close to a month?

Posted on: 2015/6/13 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
You probably didn't get an extra cookie with your milk in class today so no problem. The billboards just went up. No?

Posted on: 2015/6/13 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
PATH installed 8 6x5 billboards permanently affixed to the middle of the Grove station. Unbelievable taking up so much space on an already crowded platform not to mention the reduced space for their two year elevator project. PATH "Tear down this wall !"

Thanks for the old news. I guess it was a slow day in finding something to bitch about.

Posted on: 2015/6/13 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/13 0:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 17:46
From 07302
Group:
Registered Users
Path to nwk currently running 10 minutes behind schedule and holding for 10 minutes at jsq... Not an alert on the website. Ineptitude as always

Posted on: 2015/6/6 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:

I can't imagine our elected officials would choose anyone for the job without meeting, or even considering, the simple requirements stated above.

I think you need to broaden your imagination. Here, let me help. $$$$$$$

Posted on: 2015/6/4 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Well, without looking at the story, I have to assume it is because these two individuals are really talented, have real leadership skills, and knows how to do a turn around of failed companies.

In addition,I bet these two individuals have shown a track record of being thrown into a tough & completed f*cked up situation and/or companies, and still be able to quickly realize the issues at hand, identify proper solutions and execute necessary changes that will bring improvements to everyone affected by such failed companies.

With the right underlying capabilities, people can pick up industry-specific experiences while they're on the job and still perform and/or outperform someone from inside the industry.

For example, while I do not know these two candidates, I bet if they were to throw Elon Musk on the job (even though he has no direct transit experience), he will be able to transform PATH to nothing that we know of it today.

I can't imagine our elected officials would choose anyone for the job without meeting, or even considering, the simple requirements stated above.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
If Port Authority needs commissioners with transit experience, why did Cuomo nominate 2 with none?

Story

Posted on: 2015/6/4 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
If Port Authority needs commissioners with transit experience, why did Cuomo nominate 2 with none?

Story

Posted on: 2015/6/4 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
My suggestion is to boot Anna Wintour and her army of trust-fund b@tches out of 1 WTC, and sell it to the Chinese for top dollar to convert into luxury condominiums. The proceeds from the sale would go directly into a dedicated fund - administered by a special master, bypassing the PA bureaucracy - to fund PATH upgrades.

What would a couple billion dollars do for the system?

Probably nothing... Besides the issues associated with the PA, you have unions to deal with at PATH. Have you not witnessed the disgraceful, utterly unbelievable situation of escalators at both Exchange Place and Grove St. Against all possibilities, and plausibility, a portion of those escalators are down for repairs and maintenance on a regular basis, almost weekly. How in the world is it possible for escalators to break down SO OFTEN?

Posted on: 2015/5/22 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

taoofdre wrote:
Not a marxist nation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrocable_%28Medell%C3%ADn%29

Medellin on the up and up. NYC still has hurdles, but they are far from insurmountable..

Not a marxist nation, but equally corrupt. Also, you can't possibly compare the cost of acquiring land, project building, on going maintenance, and such, in Medellin vs. NYC. I love it that people take an example of something somewhere and somehow expect the same thing to be magically possible elsewhere.

Tell me, do you think it would be feasible to see polar bears running free and happy in an African dessert? After all, they roam freely up on the North Pole.

Posted on: 2015/5/22 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
My suggestion is to boot Anna Wintour and her army of trust-fund b@tches out of 1 WTC, and sell it to the Chinese for top dollar to convert into luxury condominiums. The proceeds from the sale would go directly into a dedicated fund - administered by a special master, bypassing the PA bureaucracy - to fund PATH upgrades.

What would a couple billion dollars do for the system?

Posted on: 2015/5/22 18:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/1 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Not a marxist nation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrocable_%28Medell%C3%ADn%29

Medellin on the up and up. NYC still has hurdles, but they are far from insurmountable..

Posted on: 2015/5/22 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/22 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
http://www.eastriverskyway.com/#features

Is this a day dream?

Nope, already functioning in a poor country:

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/201 ... -cable-car-la-paz-bolivia

It will never happen in NYC. The cost of securing/expropriating land, coupled with construction and subsequent maintenance, will make it a prohibitive solution.

You can paste the link to Bolivia as an example, but that is a Marxist Communist banana republic with a kook for president. Much like Venezuela, they have crazy policies that artificially lower the price and cost of these systems. When you look at any other country with these systems, you quickly learn they become a novelty and/or tourist attraction due to their high costs. People complain about paying $2.75 for a PATH or subway ride. Barcelona (Spain) has an awesome cable car system that works in a similar manner, and it costs 9 EUR one-way, or 12.50 r/t. The cable car in London is almost $3 and it is a tiny distance. No one in NYC is going to want to pay $15 a day to cross from BK to Manhattan, except for a tourist, maybe. Heck, the NY Waterway is a MUCH NICER alternative to the PATH, and it doesn't have to invest on additional infrastructure and it costs a ton of money when compared to the PATH.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
http://www.eastriverskyway.com/#features

Is this a day dream?

Nope, already functioning in a poor country:

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/201 ... -cable-car-la-paz-bolivia

Nahhhhh, that could never work in NYC.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/5/20 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/20 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:

The literal only feasible solution I see is to start working with the MTA and offer combined passes. The WTC line is way below capacity, and because of the loop track, capacity is far more fluid. Getting more people to take the MTA from the shiny new $4,000,000,000 hub they built is going to be essential.

Honestly, right now, it might take an extra two minutes for me to get to my office with Grove -> WTC -> 2/3 over taking the 33rd St train directly, and that's with having to go above ground at WTC. When you can just walk through THE OCULUS, it will probably be even faster.

yup. the only thing that keeps me from doing WTC > A/C is that extra $2.75

Posted on: 2015/5/20 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bamb00zle wrote:
Agree it was an overdue and logical step. It was maddening to see nearly empty Hoboken trains, followed by packed JSQ trains, especially coming home from the city after work. Stations were so crowded that there were safety concerns, not to mention the delays caused by people trying to get on or off trains through the waiting crowds. That extra minute at each stop on the trip adds up. Some extra trains to JSQ will help a bit.

However, where was / is some proactive planning from the PA? As others have pointed out, this problem has been brewing for a long time. And guess what? It's going to get a lot worse, and soon. Heads-up PA - see those shiny, new towers going up all over JC...? Well, they are going to be full of commuters. What is your plan for when those buildings are completed?

The literal only feasible solution I see is to start working with the MTA and offer combined passes. The WTC line is way below capacity, and because of the loop track, capacity is far more fluid. Getting more people to take the MTA from the shiny new $4,000,000,000 hub they built is going to be essential.

Honestly, right now, it might take an extra two minutes for me to get to my office with Grove -> WTC -> 2/3 over taking the 33rd St train directly, and that's with having to go above ground at WTC. When you can just walk through THE OCULUS, it will probably be even faster.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
But did the PA cut service by 14% or shift service to different stations? It is an important distinction.

The 33rd street line is currently at capacity. Adding service simply isn't an option in the short term. Adjusting service so you add to areas that are crowded at the expense of areas that are not crowded makes sense. It's the first logical thing I've seen them do in forever.

FWIW, I looked at the schedules and JSQ is 4-5 min between trains to Hoboken's 7.

They added an extra minute onto the empty Hoboken trains and gave that minute to the overcrowded JC trains. Compare the current and old schedules.

I agree it's the first logical thing I've seen them do in forever. Yet their spoiled brat mayor has to complain on and on about it, ultimately seeking to make JC trains more crowded.

I agree the best solution is for both cities to have extra frequency, but the recent change is a logical solution that doesn't cost any extra money and should be applauded, not cried about.

To be fair, she's a Hoboken politician. She's supposed to do this.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Agree it was an overdue and logical step. It was maddening to see nearly empty Hoboken trains, followed by packed JSQ trains, especially coming home from the city after work. Stations were so crowded that there were safety concerns, not to mention the delays caused by people trying to get on or off trains through the waiting crowds. That extra minute at each stop on the trip adds up. Some extra trains to JSQ will help a bit.

However, where was / is some proactive planning from the PA? As others have pointed out, this problem has been brewing for a long time. And guess what? It's going to get a lot worse, and soon. Heads-up PA - see those shiny, new towers going up all over JC...? Well, they are going to be full of commuters. What is your plan for when those buildings are completed?

Posted on: 2015/5/20 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
But did the PA cut service by 14% or shift service to different stations? It is an important distinction.

The 33rd street line is currently at capacity. Adding service simply isn't an option in the short term. Adjusting service so you add to areas that are crowded at the expense of areas that are not crowded makes sense. It's the first logical thing I've seen them do in forever.

FWIW, I looked at the schedules and JSQ is 4-5 min between trains to Hoboken's 7.

I'm pretty sure they added more every-4-minute JSQ trains to times that were, before, every-5-minute, but couldn't be sure since I didn't have the old schedule handy and I have a late enough work schedule to (thankfully) not hit the absolute peak of rush hour.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

They added an extra minute onto the empty Hoboken trains and gave that minute to the overcrowded JC trains. Compare the current and old schedules.

I agree it's the first logical thing I've seen them do in forever. Yet their spoiled brat mayor has to complain on and on about it, ultimately seeking to make JC trains more crowded.

I agree the best solution is for both cities to have extra frequency, but the recent change is a logical solution that doesn't cost any extra money and should be applauded, not cried about.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Some passengers at Hoboken Terminal will have to wait a little longer to catch a PATH train to New York, and they can blame overcrowding in Jersey City for it, Port Authority officials told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday.

Passengers headed to 33rd Street from Hoboken now must wait seven minutes between trains instead of six, since Port Authority extended wait times in late April, said spokesman Steve Coleman. The changes only apply from 7:35 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., and were implemented in order to decrease wait times at Jersey City stations, which have been experiencing "significant platform crowding issues" due to "high growth and ridership," he said.

Story

Zimmer should shut the hell up. I hate how this article is written to make it seem like we have to apologize to Hoboken for having the gall to make them wait one whole extra minute for the PATH.

The Hoboken trains are always nearly empty in comparison to the Jersey City trains so I think there should be even more of a service shift.

Zimmer should shut the hell up?? Where is she griping about service moving to JC. The PA hasn?t even specified what additional service JC is getting now (if any). The only thing she quoted about would benefit us too?

"We should be talking about adding more capacity, yet the Port Authority cut rush hour service by 14 percent overnight with no public input?It defies all logic...Enough with the service cuts, enough with the short-sightedness. Let's invest in a 21st century transportation system that will truly support our growing region."

I hope she speaks up some more, and hopefully Fulop does too.

Yes, she should shut up. She's loudly complaining about the recent change to the PATH schedules that increased 33rd street rush hour frequency to all JC stations. If the reporter is correct, she wants it reversed, which would harm JC. And it's discussed right in the article, not sure what you missed.

Previously, 33rd rush hour trains to JC came every 5 minutes. Now they come every 4 minutes. Apparently, that extra minute in frequency came at the expense of Hoboken, who has long enjoyed far superior service to JC (their trains are always less crowded). She should appreciate how great Hoboken has had it compared to JC and put a lid on it.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/19 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:

Zimmer should shut the hell up?? Where is she griping about service moving to JC. The PA hasn?t even specified what additional service JC is getting now (if any). The only thing she quoted about would benefit us too?

"We should be talking about adding more capacity, yet the Port Authority cut rush hour service by 14 percent overnight with no public input?It defies all logic...Enough with the service cuts, enough with the short-sightedness. Let's invest in a 21st century transportation system that will truly support our growing region."

The PA has absolutely specified additional JC service, it's all in the schedule. For instance, the every-5-minute trains now start a little earlier and end a little later for both morning and evening rush hours. Of course it's not enough, though.

That said, I agree entirely, and it's obviously time for some new ideas. PA is spending all this money upgrading stations (sadly, not the most useful ones) from 8-car to 10-car - why not make the switch to articulated train cars? You could run longer trains with existing stations, not to mention use all that wasted space between cars (probably increasing the usable space by 5-10% without adding any length at all). They might even be able to run some trains express (say, stopping only at Christopher and 33rd) as long as they could coordinate the turnarounds properly.

Hudson County as a whole (including both Zimmer and Fulop) needs to be aggressively pushing this sort of thing to all agencies involved. Unfortunately, there are three of them, and none of them are solely concerned with the needs of Hudson County residents. That's a problem. But there are solutions. Adding a Hudson County north-south ferry line run by NJ Transit, maybe even subsidizing ferry travel in general? Increasing light rail service and speeds? Figuring out some way to get these agencies to work together so that taking the (higher capacity, lower crowding) WTC PATH and connecting to the subway doesn't have to double monthly commute costs? All these things could help.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Some passengers at Hoboken Terminal will have to wait a little longer to catch a PATH train to New York, and they can blame overcrowding in Jersey City for it, Port Authority officials told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday.

Passengers headed to 33rd Street from Hoboken now must wait seven minutes between trains instead of six, since Port Authority extended wait times in late April, said spokesman Steve Coleman. The changes only apply from 7:35 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., and were implemented in order to decrease wait times at Jersey City stations, which have been experiencing "significant platform crowding issues" due to "high growth and ridership," he said.

Story

Zimmer should shut the hell up. I hate how this article is written to make it seem like we have to apologize to Hoboken for having the gall to make them wait one whole extra minute for the PATH.

The Hoboken trains are always nearly empty in comparison to the Jersey City trains so I think there should be even more of a service shift.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Story

She should go to the Christopher Street stop during evening rush hour to see how jam packed the JSQ trains are compared to the Hoboken trains.

Having to wait an extra minute is nothing compared to having to let a train or two go by because you can't cram your self on a train.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Hell, sometimes, I'll just take a nice walk up the waterfront if I get ready earlier than normal.

Ironic, though, that the development of Journal Square might get rid of some of the car -> PATH commuters.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Story

I miss working in the city but I don't miss the rush hour commute.

Posted on: 2015/5/19 19:46

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017