Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Porta Pizza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I am guessing that they are not allowed to use glass up in the rooftop by an edict from their insurance company. Sadly, nowadays insurance companies can have more power over companies (and individuals) than the government.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Iron Monkey will give you a real glass if you are on the roof.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
The roof is really nice, especially on a Sunday night, since it's pretty empty. The plastic cups are meh...I don't really buy that they're not allowed to have glass...Skinner's has it on their rooftop across the street.

Posted on: 2015/5/16 23:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
They have 20oz pours of $5 Yuenglings, and $4 Miller Light and Coors Light if you want a cheaper option.

$7-8 for a pint of craft tap is kinda on par with most bars, as for the plastic cup it's because they are not allowed to use glass on the rooftop. At least that is what I was told when I asked if I could bring my beer from downstairs.

Posted on: 2015/5/16 23:12

Edited by geniusofthecrowd on 2015/5/16 23:27:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
$8 for a Budweiser is expensive. $8 for an actual beer is pretty normal.

Posted on: 2015/5/16 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

ambiance is not cheap, and $8 does not strike me as overly expensive

Incorrect.

$5= cheap.
$6= average.
$7= expensive.
$8= overly expensive.
$9+= baseball game.

Posted on: 2015/5/16 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Grabbed a drink on the roof deck bar and it's pretty nice. However, I have to say... 8 bucks for a plastic cup of beer? Seriously? I'm no cheapskate, but that is pretty goddamned expensive for a bar in Jersey City.

Hell, I'd even find an 8-buck beer slightly on the high side at a nice bar in NYC or London.
ambiance is not cheap, and $8 does not strike me as overly expensive

Posted on: 2015/5/16 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Grabbed a drink on the roof deck bar and it's pretty nice. However, I have to say... 8 bucks for a plastic cup of beer? Seriously? I'm no cheapskate, but that is pretty goddamned expensive for a bar in Jersey City.

Hell, I'd even find an 8-buck beer slightly on the high side at a nice bar in NYC or London.

Posted on: 2015/5/16 17:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 14:34
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Good deal, make sure you introduce yourself. Cheers-

Posted on: 2014/12/24 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
ChampionSound wrote:
I'll be DJing there this Saturday night from 11-2.

[quote]
Awesome! I have some peoples from L.A. in town, we will stop by and check you out.

Posted on: 2014/12/24 16:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 14:34
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
I'll be DJing there this Saturday night from 11-2. I used to work for the them in AP doing some solid weekly nights for a lot of years (Brickwall/ Annex). I spin a variety of classic hip hop, raw funk and soul, original samples, drum breaks and quality reggae. I am not trying have a douche factor, just spin good music (and not top 40). Nod your head or dance, but just play solid stuff. I don't spin EDM so maybe that will weed out some of that factor.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Yes I believe it's the dance club portion of the evening that would draw the douche factor.

Posted on: 2014/12/24 16:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 12:27
Group:
Registered Users
It's a little annoying that they won't let you call ahead for takeout pizza, but it's more than made up for by the superb pizza.

we had a Sizzle (with sausage) and a Margherita today, and both were great. better than Razza, decidedly better than Roman Nose (which I like), probably even better than Grimaldi's/Hoboken, which has slipped in recent years. I will be back, although it's not cheap (for pizza).

Posted on: 2014/12/24 9:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users

We were there last weekend and walked away with the general impression that the place needs more than a few months to get its act together, because:

1. The restaurant was not full, but took the hostess several minutes to seat us. Bad omen.

2. The food tasted fine, but we had to wait for over 40 minutes to get the appetizer/salad. Not good.

3. The service was ok, but the kitchen needs to figure out who ordered what. Growing pains.

4. My wife got sick off the food. Disaster.

Posted on: 2014/12/17 1:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Yes sir, that's how the pizza is in Italy...a bit spongey but blackended on crust

Posted on: 2014/12/16 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

meowmix wrote:
Went by tonight for dinner. Our service was not very good, but that's forgivable since they just opened.

We had a pizza and a pasta. The food was not really to my taste. It's comparable in price to Razza, but not even on the same planet. The sauce was good but the crust was kind of spongey. The pasta was okay, but pretty small for the price. i much prefer Roman Nose's.

The space is really pretty, and I could see going back for the bar only.

5/10

I also went there for dinner last night, and I also found the pizza crust to be spongey.

the pizza I had in Milan was spongey. so maybe Porta is more authentically Italian?

or I just had some bad pizza in Italy.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 4:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users
i went for brunch the weekend it opened.

they did not serve coffee or eggs. :(

i ordered something that was advertised as "eggs, potatoes, and peppers". it was a potato hash that was served on a giant roll. driest thing i've ever tasted and i did not expect a sandwich based on the description i read (and the fact it was listed under "plates").

they felt bad cause i complained and brought out some kind of egg scramble instead, which was delicious.

they should take that misadvertised sandwich thing off the menu cause it was awful and i can't imagine anyone actually enjoying that.

i'll try this place again in like 3-4 months. they weren't quite there yet, but i imagine they will be soon. the space has some definite potential so i'd love to see them succeed.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meowmix wrote:
Went by tonight for dinner. Our service was not very good, but that's forgivable since they just opened.

We had a pizza and a pasta. The food was not really to my taste. It's comparable in price to Razza, but not even on the same planet. The sauce was good but the crust was kind of spongey. The pasta was okay, but pretty small for the price. i much prefer Roman Nose's.

5/10

I also went there for dinner last night, and I also found the pizza crust to be spongey.

I went to the Asbury location once before and it was good. I was quite disappointed with dinner at the JC location last night. Hopefully they're just having some start-up issues and things will improve once they find their legs. Will give them another chance in a few weeks or so. The space looks nice, and I look forward to checking out the roof deck come spring.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 0:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Went there last week. Pissa was great...almost like in Naples! Server was nice, but service was slow. Everyone working there seemed confused. Beer taps need cleaning and/or maintenance as tap beer was not as carbonated as it should have been. Woul have retuinred the ber, but it took 25 minutes to get it in the first place, so I drank that flat beer anyway.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 16:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/26 22:57
Group:
Registered Users
Had a very disappointing brunch yesterday. Food at Asbury location is very good, so I was really hoping for better.

It seems like "plaid shirt" is the uniform for a lot of restaurants now: Marco & Pepe, Porta, and even LITM last night.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users

5/10

Posted on: 2014/12/15 2:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped by this place the other night and it looked really nice. I enjoyed the smokey wood smell. Didn't try the food as I was there solely for drinks. Due to the upstairs was packed we were sent downstairs.

Here's some notes on our (poor) experience:

1. Downstairs bar felt like a basement sportsbar.
2. My guess is none of the "bartenders" have ever tended bar before: They had no concept of the ingredients needed for our drinks (saw two guys looking through all the bitters as if it was the first time they'd seen them), they had the recipes out on top of the bar in front of customers and were scanning through them like my grandma when she forgets to put on her reading glasses. They also had the focus of a toddler. Would start working on one order and when other came in, they dropped what they were doing and moved on to that. This happened a number of times to not just us, but a couple sitting next to us.
3. Cocktail garnishes were completely missing. Ordered a drink that looked like a water glass with juice in it.
4. We were double-charged because the bartender heard someone else order the same drink I had and thought it was for me. Never checked to confirm that. Just charged me. Of course after pointing it out, they resolved the situation.
5. While sitting at the bar, there was at one point 10 employees gathered to try and figure out who ordered a variety of dishes. Got so bad a manager or owner had to come down.

Granted, it's the first week and service takes time to refine, but as someone who's worked in the hospitality business, there are ways to avoid many of these issues and it appears the owners took no steps to prevent that. i.e., proper training in advance, and people who have experience tending bar in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.

This place has a long ways to go on the service end of things.

Posted on: 2014/12/5 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes I believe it's the dance club portion of the evening that would draw the douche factor.

Posted on: 2014/12/4 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a regular at the Asbury location as I have a weekend place there. I don't know that I've observed an douchery there. Asbury just doesn't draw that kind of crowd. Though I've never stayed late when it converts to a dance club. Perhaps that vibe is different. Since the AP Porta open the crowd has changed dramatically. At first the vast majority of the crowd included gays, bikers, band people and general beach surfer types. Now it's vastly more straight including singles and families.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I I have heard that the one in Asbury can get a little "douchey", but hopefully this spot eschews that element.

Posted on: 2014/12/4 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I went on the opening night for some free pizza. Some notes...

Pizza was really good! One notch below Razza but very, very good. Totally different vibe than Razza, much more of a bar scene, it appears.

Mostly not-so-great, not-so-unique beer, although had a couple of good ones from Lagunitas and Kane. Lots of Bud/Bud Light etc. Spoke to one of the partners (I think) who said they may roll out more craft options considering the JC crowd. With a huge 3-story bar like this, not having a lot of craft options would be a mistake I think. The people that would want to hang out here will generally support a robust craft beer list.

The decor is pretty cool, extremely spacious/cavernous/industrial. Community bench tables on the main floor, and also a massive bar area up front, with two TVs. Downstairs is The Monk Room, a cozy bar area with a few tables. On the rooftop are two bars, and an area that will be turned into a bocce court.

Looking forward to seeing the post-10pm bar crowd. I have heard that the one in Asbury can get a little "douchey", but hopefully this spot eschews that element.

Would you say it's kid friendly for daytime visits by the
"strollerati?"

I would say yes, the main seating area on the main floor seems pretty kid friendly.

Posted on: 2014/12/4 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
HAHA! Love it

Posted on: 2014/12/4 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Pizza was really good! One notch below Razza but very, very good. Totally different vibe than Razza, much more of a bar scene, it appears.

Mostly not-so-great, not-so-unique beer, although had a couple of good ones from Lagunitas and Kane. Lots of Bud/Bud Light etc. Spoke to one of the partners (I think) who said they may roll out more craft options considering the JC crowd. With a huge 3-story bar like this, not having a lot of craft options would be a mistake I think. The people that would want to hang out here will generally support a robust craft beer list.

The decor is pretty cool, extremely spacious/cavernous/industrial. Community bench tables on the main floor, and also a massive bar area up front, with two TVs. Downstairs is The Monk Room, a cozy bar area with a few tables. On the rooftop are two bars, and an area that will be turned into a bocce court.

Looking forward to seeing the post-10pm bar crowd. I have heard that the one in Asbury can get a little "douchey", but hopefully this spot eschews that element.

It will be mostly douchey.
source: I'm a douche.

Posted on: 2014/12/4 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Would you say it's kid friendly for daytime visits by the
"strollerati?"

Posted on: 2014/12/4 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/4 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone tried Porta? How is it?

Recommendations on what to try going there for the first time?

Posted on: 2014/12/4 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Inside Porta, an Asbury Park Neapolitan Pizza Bar Now Open in Jersey City

The Village Voice
By Adam Robb Wed., Dec. 3 2014 at 1:19 PM

Only the retro signage of the former Fenny's Pharmacy connects Porta (135 Newark Avenue, Jersey City; 201-544-5199) to the building's longtime former occupant. Over the past year and a half, the single-story drugstore and its clutter of outmoded backroom doctor's offices have been gutted to make way for a block-deep outpost of the popular Asbury Park pizza bar, which here stretches to Christopher Columbus Drive, and rises upward from a basement bar to a second-story roof deck that will boast a bocce court come spring.

And even though Porta is now the third pizzeria to open on a single block of Newark Avenue -- following Roman Nose and Two Boots, which is right next door -- its late promotion of a soft opening the night before Thanksgiving drew such a packed house (including the mayor and his entourage), the kitchen fired more than 600 soppressata and grape-and-rosemary pizzas from a single oven before winding down after midnight.

Read more:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkint ... w_open_in_jersey_city.php

Posted on: 2014/12/4 5:14

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact