Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Gargantuan Tower Proposed for Barrow and Christopher Columbus
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
It will be as tall as 18 stories. Far from being a tower.

City Council just approved a 38-story tower to be built on the corner of First Street and Marin Blvd. last night. Now THAT's a tower.

Buck up.

Interesting. This is the first I've heard about this high rise at Marin and 1st. Do you have any further details or links to any renderings? I assume it would be south-east side of the street, directly south of O'Hara's?

Appreciate any more info anyone has.

Wrong side of the street. It will be directly across LMM Blvd from the spot you are thinking.

Posted on: 2015/5/15 10:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
And dtjc continues to get ruined with excessive high rises. So glad I left there 3 years ago. This trend is making me sick.

Posted on: 2015/5/15 5:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
HARSIMUS COVE NEWSLETTER FOMR MONDAY:

Call to Action: MGM Redevelopment Plan Amendment Final Reading, May 13
At our April meeting, HCA membership voted to oppose the most recent amendment to the MGM redevelopment plan. The amendment received Planning Board approval, passed the first reading and will likely be voted on at its second reading at the next City Council meeting. HCA will voice its formal opposition at that time. However, individual resident engagement on the issue remains important. HCA encourages those who feel strongly to attend the City Council meeting this Wednesday, May 13 at 6:00 PM in City Hall to voice their opinions during public comment.

Here?s a brief summary: The MGM amendment would allow for a residential tower up to 375 feet on the west side of Marin Boulevard between Bay and First. This would be an addition to the 400-foot tower previously approved on Marin between Morgan and Bay (on the block just south of the tower at issue). The right to build the new tower in question would be contingent on a community benefit bonus. This bonus would earmark significant funding for certain initiatives to be allocated later, including affordable housing, streetscape improvements and/or public space. There was also public open space built into the plan.

For the latest version of the MGM redevelopment plan amendment made available to HCA.

copy and paste the following link for the amendment.

http://harsimuscove.org/sites/default ... 20Maps%20for%20Review.pdf

BS move by city council - all to get money for other projects disguised as community givebacks. All the community gets is a 38 story tower across the street from a two story residential block. Adding to the wind tunnel along Marin.

Posted on: 2015/5/15 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

AMo wrote:
Dear Neighbors:

A developer has proposed a gargantuan, 18 story building for the corner of Barrow and Christopher Columbus. (Only seven stories are currently allowed.) This building will contain approximately 143 units (probably rental) and a mere 56 parking spaces. It will be almost three times taller than any building along Columbus west of Grove Street. If built, this project will fundamentally change the character of Christopher Columbus Drive and Van Vorst Park, clog our already crowded streets with more traffic, and make our difficult parking situation untenable. Moreover, it will set a dangerous precedent going forward.

You can have your voice heard by coming to the Barrow Mansion on Tuesday, May19th at 7:00 p.m. when the developer makes its presentation. Councilwoman Candice Osborne will be there to take your questions and hear your concerns.

Thanks,
Aaron and Liz Morrill

None eat pizza?

(Like most on this forum I have trouble taking you guys seriously.)
there is something to be said about at least trying to maintain some sort of character (of the neighborhiood). otherwise, why have any codes/ordinances.

Posted on: 2015/5/15 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AMo wrote:
Dear Neighbors:

A developer has proposed a gargantuan, 18 story building for the corner of Barrow and Christopher Columbus. (Only seven stories are currently allowed.) This building will contain approximately 143 units (probably rental) and a mere 56 parking spaces. It will be almost three times taller than any building along Columbus west of Grove Street. If built, this project will fundamentally change the character of Christopher Columbus Drive and Van Vorst Park, clog our already crowded streets with more traffic, and make our difficult parking situation untenable. Moreover, it will set a dangerous precedent going forward.

You can have your voice heard by coming to the Barrow Mansion on Tuesday, May19th at 7:00 p.m. when the developer makes its presentation. Councilwoman Candice Osborne will be there to take your questions and hear your concerns.

Thanks,
Aaron and Liz Morrill

None eat pizza?

(Like most on this forum I have trouble taking you guys seriously.)

Posted on: 2015/5/15 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:

City Council just approved a 38-story tower to be built on the corner of First Street and Marin Blvd. last night. Now THAT's a tower.

Buck up.

Interesting. This is the first I've heard about this high rise at Marin and 1st. Do you have any further details or links to any renderings? I assume it would be south-east side of the street, directly south of O'Hara's?

Appreciate any more info anyone has.

Posted on: 2015/5/15 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
"Gargantuan Tower"? Come on. Save the hyperbole for your mama-bole.

If I had a nickel for every time somebody shouted how the sky is falling when a developer proposes such out of the norm construction I'd have..........about $2.00.

Seriously though- it's always a shock to see these proposals. However once they are built everyone just adapts to it, moves on and prospers. People should learn more from recent history/ experience and cut the chicken little BS.

Posted on: 2015/5/15 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AMo wrote:
We have more competition than any restaurant in JC. Are you familiar with Porta?

Well, I wouldn't call it competition. Those other restaurants are way better. Its like the Newark Bears (Two Boots) versus The Yankees (everyone else).

Posted on: 2015/5/15 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AMo wrote:
Dear Neighbors:

Thanks,
Aaron and Liz Morrill
this is a bogus proposal...totally inappropriate for the area....no variances except maybe no parking spots. who needs them when there is plebty of parking already available

Posted on: 2015/5/15 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users

Buck up.

Posted on: 2015/5/15 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Is there anywhere we can see these plans? Who is the developer?

Posted on: 2015/5/14 22:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Kiddo/Whoever You Are,

Your comment is as ignorant as it is offensive.

First, as I've pointed out before, but I'll reiterate again, Two Boots Pizza has no problem with competition. We have more competition than any restaurant in JC. Are you familiar with Porta? And, have you ever heard a complaint from me? Of course not. I welcome competition. What I and 20 other restaurants complained about was the HDSID and City providing a massive rent subsidy to a group of vendors at the Farmer's Market who were thus able to compete with us unfairly. We pay market rent. They didn't. If you can't understand this basic question of fairness and public policy, there's little else I can say. That's the last I'll say about this issue.

As to your other offensive insinuation, I own no tower but live next door.

So returning to the subject...

Posted on: 2015/5/14 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AMo wrote:
Dear Neighbors:

Thanks,
Aaron and Liz Morrill

This is really awful, but I have to ask, why are you really against it? Do you own another giant tower here, we all know you don't like competition and spreading the wealth.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
NOOO! Bad idea!

I suggest posting it here in these FB groups - full of many active folks in DTJC who would want to know about this.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HarsimusCoveAssociation/
https://www.facebook.com/VanVorstParkAssociation?fref=ts

Posted on: 2015/5/14 22:06

Gargantuan Tower Proposed for Barrow and Christopher Columbus
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Neighbors:

Thanks,
Aaron and Liz Morrill

Posted on: 2015/5/14 21:58

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact