Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: zone permit parking overnight needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:

We need automated parking garages like in Japan (yes I know about what happen to the one in Hoboken) for residents to free up the space for those who need to do business in city and since space is becoming scarce in the street.. Overnight parking is a nightmare in my section of the city also and having parking garages like they do in Japan would help the city greatly. I would support charging those types of fees so we could fund these garages. Downtown needs these garages with the amount of new construction going on so please rally people so we can make this happen. Here's an example of a garage in Japan.

I mean, I also want a 100 inch OLED TV and a Porsche 911 Turbo... doesn't mean that they're practical. We're not exactly dense enough to need either NY-style attendant-run garages (more space-efficient than standard parking garages) or automated garages (more space-efficient than attendant-run garages) yet. Most of the new downtown buildings are being built with parking, and many of the downtown garages aren't exactly packed with people.

I do wish that all the downtown lots/garages that currently exist would stop having silly limited hours, though. Hopefully the buildings that go in on top of those weekday-only PATH parking lots will have some public parking, too.

Posted on: 2015/5/7 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The only real solution is to begin charging market rates for street parking permits. If street parking cost $100 to $200 a month, the empty garages would fill up and lots of people who keep cars around would find ways of eliminating them.

I think street parking should cost closer to garage price. Enough to make the difference less substantial and more people will then opt for garages. Maybe $500/yr ----but i see the sh*** hitting the fan if that was proposed.

We need automated parking garages like in Japan (yes I know about what happen to the one in Hoboken) for residents to free up the space for those who need to do business in city and since space is becoming scarce in the street.. Overnight parking is a nightmare in my section of the city also and having parking garages like they do in Japan would help the city greatly. I would support charging those types of fees so we could fund these garages. Downtown needs these garages with the amount of new construction going on so please rally people so we can make this happen. Here's an example of a garage in Japan.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/5/7 3:03
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The only real solution is to begin charging market rates for street parking permits. If street parking cost $100 to $200 a month, the empty garages would fill up and lots of people who keep cars around would find ways of eliminating them.

I think street parking should cost closer to garage price. Enough to make the difference less substantial and more people will then opt for garages. Maybe $500/yr ----but i see the sh*** hitting the fan if that was proposed.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
To answer an earlier question, this is not just a DTJC problem.I live near McGinley Square, where we have very few streets with zoned parking at all. The amount of non-residents (like letting your buddy from BK park their car here full time) is outrageous. Not to mention residents with cars still registered out of state to scheme of lower insurance rates. Also, many commuters park here and take a cheap bus to JSQ to avoid paying garages.

I personally would love to see some 24/7 zoned parking.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
The website (jcparking.org) still has Healy's picture on it!

Posted on: 2015/5/5 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

You can get those permits here, as well. The current cost is $3 per day for a Visitor's Permits. If you do a search, you should find some old threads discussing the details. Or, you can reach out to the JC Parking Authority for the details. Here is their website: http://www.jcparking.org.

Thanks again, seems like they'd be useful when I have a house guest on weekdays, people visiting from far way, etc.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Thanks for clarifying, at least now I can tell family and friends from outside the city that they can park on the street when they visit if they don't feel like using a garage, despite what the poorly worded signs say.

On the greater topic, the "right way to do it", at least in my opinion, is to make the streets permit-only 24/7, and then just give residents the ability to purchase daily guest passes for a few bucks a day that they can give to visitors when needed. It's the way it worked when I lived in Chicago, and it wasn't a terrible system.

You can get those permits here, as well. The current cost is $3 per day for a Visitor's Permits. If you do a search, you should find some old threads discussing the details. Or, you can reach out to the JC Parking Authority for the details. Here is their website: http://www.jcparking.org.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for clarifying, at least now I can tell family and friends from outside the city that they can park on the street when they visit if they don't feel like using a garage, despite what the poorly worded signs say.

On the greater topic, the "right way to do it", at least in my opinion, is to make the streets permit-only 24/7, and then just give residents the ability to purchase daily guest passes for a few bucks a day that they can give to visitors when needed. It's the way it worked when I lived in Chicago, and it wasn't a terrible system.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's a perfectly valid question, JcDevil, particularly in light of the fact that those signs are so POORLY written as to cause the confusion you describe. When I first moved to JC, I also used to think that the signs were applicable to overnight parking, as they seem to suggest any car parked over 2 hours needs a permit. Alas, that is NOT the case.

The regulations are quite simple, really: during the hours of 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Fridays (excluding holidays), parking in a zoned area is limited to 2 hours, unless you have a permit for that zone. Outside of those hours and days, parking is allowed by anyone, for any amount of time.

Here is a link to the relevant municipal code:
JC Permit Parking Regulations

BTW, there are one or two exceptions to the zoned parking areas and hours. They are explained in the municipal code article I posted.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users

I'll admit some ignorance here, as I do have a garage spot, but what exactly are the current rules around zone parking permits and parking in "zone parking areas" without one?  I've looked at the signs around my area and they seem to suggest that you need a zone permit to park there anytime no matter what, but this discussion seems to suggest that isn't the case?  Sorry for the threadjack, but it seems that you all know way more about this than I do.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/5 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
In Hoboken, a typical street has a portion reserved for permitted "resident's only" 24-hours, seven days a week. The other side of the street allows permits but also the 2-hour limited parking for visitors. I don't know how overnights are handled in Hoboken.

Seems like a logical compromise.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe a pilot program downtown??? For all I know this is a non-issue in JSQ (for now).

Posted on: 2015/5/5 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I'll be the first to say that parking is not guaranteed to anyone, and if you need convenient parking you should move to the 'burbs.

That said, what can "we" do to get zone permit parking changed to 24/7? (or at least M-F)

I know this has been tossed around, but the Council seems not to see it as a priority.

People who live in new buildings with garages are finding a loophole and parking on the street overnight, taking the spaces from those who do have permits. Again, I think that on-street parking is not guaranteed, I also think that permit fees are way too low. But, some of us actually do need a car and when I see up to 1/2 of the overnight cars on the street without a permit, it tells me the existing system is not working.

I know Osborne is aware of this suggestion but she seems to have it on the back burner (if at all) so does anyone else think this needs to be moved forward?

I don't see this happening ANY TIME SOON. The entrenched old timers, as well as newcomers with a warped sense of entitlement and "hyper-localism", does not bode well for any sweeping changes to zoned parking regulations. I ended up engaging on a similar discussion on Nextdoor with a chump that lives by JSQ who feels that: 1) people should be allowed to ask and get permits to build curb cuts in front of their properties so they can park at their properties, and 2) that no one should have to park 3 or 4 blocks away from their properties. No amount of reasoning would get through to him, because he lives in an area where he feels no one should be parking, except for residents, and because he feels that owning a home (despite being in a very dense city) entitles him to easy parking at ANY TIME.

In all fairness, many people do move here because keeping a car is easier than doing so in NYC. But, there is no doubt that parking abuses are getting out of control. I guess the last parking enforcement "show" was just that: people are once again parking blocking wheelchair ramps, crosswalks, all the way to corners, sometimes even going as far as extending PAST the curb, etc, etc. The city should REALLY start cracking down on all the parking scofflaws.

As for overnight parking restrictions, it will never happen. Or, not any time soon. The JCPA is barely enforcing parking regulations during the day. They would have to extend their operation hours to midnight, or later, to enforce this change. Personally, I think a crew of 6 or 8 parking enforcement officers would be self-funded, as the sheer amount of tickets generated should cover their salaries, the cost of extended hours for the JCPA, while still kicking back some additional money to the city coffers. And, it wouldn't be a money grabbing scheme: there is a real safety issue at stake. I see people having pushing strollers and kids onto the street to walk around cars blocking crosswalks all over DTJC.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
this is only going to get way worse =( I think the city needs to take a dramatic approach and just make all of downtown a loading zone. If you want to park, go to a garage. Make the streets safe so pedestrians can be seen, as well as beautify it. Many of the cars I see parked on the street are old eyesores that detract from our city.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 13:16

zone permit parking overnight needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'll be the first to say that parking is not guaranteed to anyone, and if you need convenient parking you should move to the 'burbs.

That said, what can "we" do to get zone permit parking changed to 24/7? (or at least M-F)

I know this has been tossed around, but the Council seems not to see it as a priority.

People who live in new buildings with garages are finding a loophole and parking on the street overnight, taking the spaces from those who do have permits. Again, I think that on-street parking is not guaranteed, I also think that permit fees are way too low. But, some of us actually do need a car and when I see up to 1/2 of the overnight cars on the street without a permit, it tells me the existing system is not working.

I know Osborne is aware of this suggestion but she seems to have it on the back burner (if at all) so does anyone else think this needs to be moved forward?

Posted on: 2015/5/5 12:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017