Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
65 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 2% tax increase for JC BOE budget, no added funding for charter school enrollment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
I'd be interested to get the actual increase in student numbers - the video alluded to numbers higher than 2%. If that's the case, that shows belt-tightening on the part of the BOE to limit the taxpayer impact to 2%.

To change the way education is funded - that has got to come from the state, not JC BOE.

JC taxpayers should be thrilled with the status quo of JC school funding, it's a win for them even though the results suck.

Listening to them complain when THEIR taxes rise because the suburban taxpayers won't have to pay any more support is priceless.

Posted on: 2015/4/30 18:35

Re: 2% tax increase for JC BOE budget, no added funding for charter school enrollment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I'd be interested to get the actual increase in student numbers - the video alluded to numbers higher than 2%. If that's the case, that shows belt-tightening on the part of the BOE to limit the taxpayer impact to 2%.

To change the way education is funded - that has got to come from the state, not JC BOE.

Posted on: 2015/4/30 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Woohoo! Another thread about schools in which right wingers beat their completely stupid drum about how suburbanites are footing the bill. I really need to stock up on Kleenex to hand out for all the crying...

Posted on: 2015/4/30 17:30
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Walters wrote:
The suburbanites I work with in Newport just can't understand why JC is a Abbott district or Hoboken for that matter . All they see is cranes and highrise luxury buildings going up and read about tax abatments . Granted, the only part of JC they know is what they see in DT . But they come from towns with horrific property taxes and virtually no state aid to their schools . JC should just " stay down " on this issue.

It's a little more deep than that, at least for me. 1) There doesn't seem to be much interest in rooting out corruption and/or waste. 2) There's lousy results from the half billion dollars that suburban taxpayers send to JC each and every year. 3) JC taxpayers asking for even more state aid, good money over bad, is silly.

And yes, most suburbanites feel it's proper to support inner city education-after all, it's cheaper to do that than deal with the consequences of not doing that. However, the max support has been reached-school systems like JC and Newark already spend about 25% more per student than the state average. I think they're doing their fair share, to ask for more simply won't fly.

Posted on: 2015/4/30 14:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 16:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The suburbanites I work with in Newport just can't understand why JC is a Abbott district or Hoboken for that matter . All they see is cranes and highrise luxury buildings going up and read about tax abatments . Granted, the only part of JC they know is what they see in DT . But they come from towns with horrific property taxes and virtually no state aid to their schools . JC should just " stay down " on this issue.

Posted on: 2015/4/30 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I disagree about appealing to Trenton, go to City Hall and tell Mayor Fulop and the City Council to stop giving out tax abatements. They are paying no tax dollars to the board of ed. If I were a state legislator, I would laugh at JC for asking for more money when the city government decides to give a tax abatement knowing the result.

Posted on: 2015/4/30 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
?We go through the pain of tax increase. You should be negotiating with the state to give us more money? stated Wahid.

Earth to Wahid-you're getting hundred and hundreds of millions of dollars from other NJ taxpayers for free, and you're complaining about a small tax increase to school your own kids? Sorry, the well is dry.

Posted on: 2015/4/30 10:09

2% tax increase for JC BOE budget, no added funding for charter school enrollment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
2% tax increase for JC BOE budget, no added funding for charter school enrollment

April 29, 2015 - - Written by Jeannette Josue

The Jersey City Board of Education passed the 2015-2016 budget of $ 667,256,08 with a tax levy of $112,161,139, which does not include any additional funding for charter school enrollment ? even though enrollment is on the rise.

Read more: http://hudsoncountyview.com/2-tax-inc ... harter-school-enrollment/

Posted on: 2015/4/30 0:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017