Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Notice of violation & Order to correct - JCFD
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/11 7:11
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
On July 18th our condo building (13 units) received the same letter with seven 'violations' to correct. I wrote to and spoke with the Mayor's offfice. I actually am glad we are forced to ensure that our standpipe, signs, fire escape, smoke & CO2 detetectors are being required to be inspected. My issue was with the process, not the protocol. To send a letter of "Violations and Order to Correct" without technically inspecting the building, and giving us three weeks in the middle of the Summer to hire contractors was unrealistic. We were granted a small extension, and have a reliable board and good property manager so we can be ready for inspection. I personally wouldn't appeal this. Just think what would happen if these items were NOT inspected and up to code and something happened...Then, you'd really need attorney(s)!

Posted on: 2015/8/11 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ank00 wrote:
Bamb00zle - instead of going thru the demanded reports/fixes, I have filed an appeal with the JC Construction Board of Appeals. I want someone to explain to me what these regulations are and how they differ from the Green Card inspections. My hearing is probably scheduled for the 3rd Wed of next month. Will let you guys know what comes out of it....such a waste of time.

Good luck Ank. You might want to look at City Ordinance 14.117, passed September 2014, establishing the JC Fire Prevention Bureau. And also the New Jersey Administrative Code, Title 5, Chapters 70, 71, and the sub-chapters. These are the various regulations of the Uniform Fire Code the JC FPB will enforce. The Construction Board of Appeal will use these regulations and the City Ordinance to make their determination about what is required. Suggest you think about taking an attorney, since a City attorney usually attends.

Posted on: 2015/5/16 21:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/28 2:00
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Bamb00zle - instead of going thru the demanded reports/fixes, I have filed an appeal with the JC Construction Board of Appeals. I want someone to explain to me what these regulations are and how they differ from the Green Card inspections. My hearing is probably scheduled for the 3rd Wed of next month. Will let you guys know what comes out of it....such a waste of time.

Posted on: 2015/5/15 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ank00 wrote:
Folks,

Received a certified letter from Jersey City Fire dept notifying me of "notice of violation and order to correct" per the Uniform Fire Code. The exact violations are:

1. Fire Escape Engineer Report required
2. Carbon Monoxide/Smoke Detector Test
3. Non-Life Hazard Use Fee - $135
4. Provide Access for Inspection

I've owned this property for 3 years (downtown JC) and never received anything like this. Moreover, I have spoken to my neighbors who have been living there for 30+ years and they have never received anything like this in the past or now. I am wondering if anyone is aware of this new money generating scheme that the city has come up with. Thinking about fighting it so any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - the fire escape inspection is another $300. Thanks!

Just curious, who is doing the fire escape engineer report for you?

Another approach if it gets too crazy with violations, code requirements, fines and so forth, is to convert to a 2-family. The code requirements are a lot less difficult. A conversion might trigger a tax reassessment, but you can appeal a ridiculous increase. Also, the State and JC Fire Prevention Bureau don't routinely inspect 2-family buildings, so there's one less thing to deal with, and I don't think there are any yearly registration fees.

Posted on: 2015/5/15 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Agree that the fire safety codes are important responsibility and opportunity. With that in mind this link provides the detailed requirements for fire escapes on existing buildings, which was one of violations mentioned in the original post.

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/ ... cations/pdf_fto/fto_3.pdf

FTO-3 (Formal Technical Opinion) was first issued in March 1985 and most recently updated in January 2011. Building owners and Code officials need to follow these requirements. As the FTO notes at the bottom of page 7: ?Pursuant to authority of N.J.S.A. 52:27d-119 et seq., as amended, the above formal technical opinion is considered to be binding upon all code officials.?

Posted on: 2015/5/13 1:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/17 5:23
Group:
Registered Users

I understand why landlords don't like the idea of violations, inspections, fines, and what they perceive as government intrusions. But I am glad to see the JCFD stepping up and aggressively enforcing the Fire Code. Properly installed fire detection and suppression equipment saves lives and it will also save your livelihood in the event of a lawsuit. Think of these standards and devices in the way that you think of aircraft equipment; you want it in top condition, checked and certified for reliability. Furthermore, once you choose to rent your property to others, you're entering into a social contract with the public that expects your due diligence to protect the safety of others on your property. Instead of thinking of this as a burden, see the UFC as an important responsibility. Now, if the JCFD is acting in an arbitrary or unprofessional manner, that's another problem. However, the basic expectation that you abide by the law and ensure the reliability of your safety equipment with professional checks hardly seems like a reason for outrage. I'm sure those who have lost loved ones in Jersey City apartment fires would agree.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
In the New Jersey Register, at 18 N.J.R. 1260, the following is found regarding fire escapes:
5:18-4.II(a)1. Much public comment centered on the proposed section which appeared to require the compliance of many existing fire escapes with newly adopted construction requirements. This section has been modified to require only new fire escapes to meet those more restrictive requirements. Existing, serviceable fire escapes need not be changed. (added underscore)

Posted on: 2015/5/10 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ank00 wrote:
For these -

1. Submit Fire Alarm Report - Annual NFPA-72

2. Submit Test Report for Battery Operated Smoke Alarms

3. Submit Test Report for Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarms

I was told to "test" the smoke detectors and fire alarms myself and fill out a form (can be obtained from the FD office on Marin Blvd) notifying that you have tested these alarms and confirm that they work and then get that form notorized. That's all you have to do for #1 thru #3 violations.

I was told self inspection was not adequate for hardwired alarms, they must be inspected by an electrician. Seemed like BS.

Posted on: 2015/4/29 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
Crazy though here, it's a legitimate request for which you should comply. It's about the safety of you and your tenants.

We are already getting inspected by the City and the State (Dept. of Community affairs). As part of their testing, they check the smokes, CO detectors, and emergency lights. We already pay a fee to the State to have the inspection done.

This is just one more inspection on top of already existing inspections.... with another fee.

Posted on: 2015/4/29 15:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Crazy though here, it's a legitimate request for which you should comply. It's about the safety of you and your tenants. I'm guessing it has to do with recent apt fires in the headlines in NY and NJ so the city is making sure buildings are up to code.

As a tenant I would want my landlord to confirm to all codes for my safety and the safety of other. Aren't the lives of your tenants worth a few hundred dollars?

Posted on: 2015/4/29 13:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
For these -

I was told to "test" the smoke detectors and fire alarms myself and fill out a form (can be obtained from the FD office on Marin Blvd) notifying that you have tested these alarms and confirm that they work and then get that form notorized. That's all you have to do for #1 thru #3 violations.

Posted on: 2015/4/29 12:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
@jcindividual - I've filed an appeal regarding these 4 violations as i didn't think it was justified. There is a $50 fee to file for an appeal (go figure) but I am willing to take my chances. My firefighter neighbor said to ask for postponement as many times are possible and sooner or later the city will forget about it as they don't have the manpower to keep up with these type of "issues".

Posted on: 2015/4/29 12:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
How was your fire extinguisher issue resolved? I do the same as you, supply them to the tenants as a courtesy. They have proved useful twice to me.

I removed them! (just for the inspection) What nonsense, huh?

Posted on: 2015/4/28 22:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 20:30
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/Abou ... s/72/99InspecTestForm.pdf

http://www.associatedfire.com/service ... fire-alarm-inspection-nj/

If more than one person is getting these notices that means someone in the Fulop administration just found a law and fee schedule that hasn't been enforced in decades.

This is one way to get more $$$ for the city.

Thanks! These inspection companies are getting a good return on their political donations.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/Abou ... s/72/99InspecTestForm.pdf

http://www.associatedfire.com/service ... fire-alarm-inspection-nj/

If more than one person is getting these notices that means someone in the Fulop administration just found a law and fee schedule that hasn't been enforced in decades.

This is one way to get more $$$ for the city.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 19:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 20:30
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I received a similar one last week. Owned the rental property for over 20 years. I wonder who to call to get the test report and fire alarm report performed.

4. Submit non Life Hazard Use Fee: 1-10 Units $135

5. Provide Access to Premise/Building in Order to Conduct Inspection

Posted on: 2015/4/28 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
More here:

https://www.municode.com/library/nj/je ... dinances?nodeId=CH160FECH

Do a search on the word 'Hazard' and it will take you to the fee schedule.

Crap... more money to be sent to the city at some point.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How was your fire extinguisher issue resolved? I do the same as you, supply them to the tenants as a courtesy. They have proved useful twice to me.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Only time for me was a tenant trying to cause trouble. Among other crap, I had to hire an electrician just to certify the hallway smokes & lights worked, even though I had a current green card.

Any tenant problems?

Posted on: 2015/4/28 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hadenough wrote:

What does No. 3 even mean "Non-life...?"

That one is new to me also.. Found this:

http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/dfs/forms/bfce/nonregform.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/dfs/forms/bfce/newregform.pdf

I can't the above link to load.. but I found more info from another city's website:

http://www.lyndhurstnj.org/web_conten ... /NON_LIFE_HAZARD_FEES.pdf

This looks like one of those fees that hasn't been enforced now suddenly is. I suspect more of us building owners will be getting them soon.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ank00 wrote:
Total of 3 units.

I have two 3 unit buildings I have owned for over 15 years. Never had a fire martial inspection, even after one of my tenants caused a minor fire (errant cigarette).

I do get inspected by the City (Building Code Enforcement) and the State every 5 years or so.

To me this sounds like the city trying to do a backdoor tax / fee increase. I had someone who runs a business tell me the city raised its fees and has been aggressive in collecting them.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 18:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/15 20:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Double check this, but I am pretty sure that the ONLY way around a warrant is to drag the fire marshall into it. These tactics are reprehensible and the city needs to clean up its act.

If you are doing the right thing -- assert such. If you aren't, fix it. Just don't writhe in fear if you have been erroneously accused of something. That lends power to those in authority who are doing the wrong thing.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

hadenough wrote:
People need to assert themselves instead of cowering in a corner

Agreed. My experience with the JCFD was OK, but Buildings will definitely try and bully you out of your constitutional privacy right to refuse searches without a warrant and probable cause.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hadenough wrote:
People need to assert themselves instead of cowering in a corner

Agreed. My experience with the JCFD was OK, but Buildings will definitely try and bully you out of your constitutional privacy right to refuse searches without a warrant and probable cause.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 18:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/15 20:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
What violation has actually occurred??

If I were you, I'd send a cert letter back requesting what you are actually in violation of and what needs to be corrected.

People need to assert themselves instead of cowering in a corner (not trying to insult you).

You are either in violation or NOT.

What does No. 3 even mean "Non-life...?"

Quote:

ank00 wrote:
Folks,

Received a certified letter from Jersey City Fire dept notifying me of "notice of violation and order to correct" per the Uniform Fire Code. The exact violations are:

I've owned this property for 3 years (downtown JC) and never received anything like this. Moreover, I have spoken to my neighbors who have been living there for 30+ years and they have never received anything like this in the past or now. I am wondering if anyone is aware of this new money generating scheme that the city has come up with. Thinking about fighting it so any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 18:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
No tenant troubles at all. We had a PSE&G issue where PSE&G never replaced the regulator for the gas line and there was gas leak because of it. I am wondering if everything is stemming from that incident.

PSE&G was negligent where they only replaced my meters after Sandy and not the regulator which caused the gas leak 2 years later.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Only time for me was a tenant trying to cause trouble. Among other crap, I had to hire an electrician just to certify the hallway smokes & lights worked, even though I had a current green card.

Any tenant problems?

Posted on: 2015/4/28 17:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Total of 3 units.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How many units in the building?

Posted on: 2015/4/28 16:36

Notice of violation & Order to correct - JCFD

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Folks,

Posted on: 2015/4/28 16:16

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017