Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New Jersey Police Officer Unlawfully Detains Man for Video Recording Traffic Stop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Considering 7 cops (and counting) have been injured in the ongoing Black race riots currently taking place in Baltimore, count me on the side of giving police a lot of leeway.

I don't really see what one has to do with the other. If the policeman was being attacked by rioters and responded by pulling out his gun and gunning them down then I would actually side with the cop. Frankly, we need more of that in Baltimore. But I don't see how riots excuse a cop overreacting to a guy recording a stop on his phone. There is no way the cop felt endangered by that conduct.

I agree. I think it's only a loose connection between the two, the connection being we are seeing the quality of people cops have to deal with on a daily basis so I am more sympathetic when they don't want to deal with idiots who bait them, such as the guy in the video. But people definitely should be allowed to videotape the police.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 16:52

Re: New Jersey Police Officer Unlawfully Detains Man for Video Recording Traffic Stop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Considering 7 cops (and counting) have been injured in the ongoing Black race riots currently taking place in Baltimore, count me on the side of giving police a lot of leeway.

I don't really see what one has to do with the other. If the policeman was being attacked by rioters and responded by pulling out his gun and gunning them down then I would actually side with the cop. Frankly, we need more of that in Baltimore. But I don't see how riots excuse a cop overreacting to a guy recording a stop on his phone. There is no way the cop felt endangered by that conduct.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting how police in general use CCTV, dash-cams, body-cams, drones and the like to use against perps and do general surveillance, but when the camera is focused on them its a case of 'shock and horror' how dare you!

Camera's don't lie, individuals do, so more cameras for me!

Posted on: 2015/4/27 23:55
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Agreed that the officer needs to be educated on the law. However, traffic stops for a cop are nothing "routine."

To wit:

"From 2001 to 2010, approximately 60 of 541 officers who were feloniously murdered in the line of duty were killed during a traffic stop, and 55,000 were injured during a traffic stop or pursuit (Federal Bureau of Investigation [FBI], 2010; U.S. Department of Justice, 2011)."

So if I'm pulling someone over, I need to be laser focused on the occupants of that vehicle. That's where my training lies - that's where my task focus lies for that very moment. Now throw in some chucklehead who wants to make glory-points on the Internet and my focus is now diverted into his needs as well (making sure he's not a threat AND potentially protecting him from the threat that COULD BE in the vehicle I just stopped.)

As Mouse and Boodipooh stated well, there has to be some give and take here; an understanding of the right to record AND the understanding that you could just butt in to a situation that puts your life and the life of a trained officer in jeopardy.
why should the police care if they are being filmed...they should be focused on making sure that they are not injured. that's why they should be required to wear body cams and dashcams

Posted on: 2015/4/27 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/27 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed that the officer needs to be educated on the law. However, traffic stops for a cop are nothing "routine."

To wit:

"From 2001 to 2010, approximately 60 of 541 officers who were feloniously murdered in the line of duty were killed during a traffic stop, and 55,000 were injured during a traffic stop or pursuit (Federal Bureau of Investigation [FBI], 2010; U.S. Department of Justice, 2011)."

So if I'm pulling someone over, I need to be laser focused on the occupants of that vehicle. That's where my training lies - that's where my task focus lies for that very moment. Now throw in some chucklehead who wants to make glory-points on the Internet and my focus is now diverted into his needs as well (making sure he's not a threat AND potentially protecting him from the threat that COULD BE in the vehicle I just stopped.)

As Mouse and Boodipooh stated well, there has to be some give and take here; an understanding of the right to record AND the understanding that you could just butt in to a situation that puts your life and the life of a trained officer in jeopardy.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I am 100% with Mouse on this one. No one is excusing the officer's lack of understanding/knowledge regarding a citizen's right to video tape or film the officer. That doesn't excuse the guy's dickish attitude either.

Collectively, we ask and expect a lot from the police and other law enforcement officers. We should accord them some respect and civility. It shouldn't be a one way street, nor should it be a perpetual "us vs. them" attitude.
respect begets respect...it goes both ways!

Posted on: 2015/4/27 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I am 100% with Mouse on this one. No one is excusing the officer's lack of understanding/knowledge regarding a citizen's right to video tape or film the officer. That doesn't excuse the guy's dickish attitude either.

Collectively, we ask and expect a lot from the police and other law enforcement officers. We should accord them some respect and civility. It shouldn't be a one way street, nor should it be a perpetual "us vs. them" attitude.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I agree and made that point repeatedly ? the cop needs to know the law regarding taping. The cops will learn and will establish procedures (for example, perhaps requesting citizens to "step back" while video taping police performing their duties).

But that does not absolve my fellow citizen from acting like a buffoon. The bigger issue is how the public interacts with the police and relations overall and that cannot be a one way street.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 18:16
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Regardless of whether the guy was being a jerk or the cop "kept his cool" it's his job to know the law and he should have known that the guy could record him.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Stupidity all around: first of all, the pedestrian inserted himself into the situation. Maybe he was trying to get a video of ?police brutality? in hopes of glorifying himself. But, it was just a routine traffic stop. And, if you know anything about traffic in Journal Square, then you know that we need MORE stops for traffic violations at this location, not less. Pedestrians are often at great peril due to hazardous driving here.

The officer had every right to speak with the video taker to determine if there was a potential threat. However, when there was no threat ? and let?s face it, this guy is just a ?tool? but not much else ? it would have been better if he simply asked the pedestrian to step back and continued with the traffic stop.

This pedestrian was clearly trying to antagonize the cop, with statements like ?are you going to brutalize me?? And, although the cop kept his cool, again, he was wrong for trying to suppress the videotaping.

Yes, police are simply going to have to get used to the public taking their pictures. And, yes, police misconduct has been front-page news for over a year.

But at some point we are going to have to get back to being civil with each other.

We ask the cops to do a very difficult job. If the cop was not doing anything wrong, why did this guy feel the need to distract him and waste his time? If we are ever going to have good relations between the police and the public, both sides are going to have to take responsibility for being respectful towards each other. Although the cop was wrong for trying to stop the taping, this ?civilians? behavior was anything but civil.

I have no respect for cop ?haters? or haters of any stripe.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 17:44
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Bullshit. The officer was trying to suppress constitutionally protected rights with intimidation. A professional officer would not manufacture an issue, nor threaten someone with fabricated charges.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
While the officer was wrong, he was professional and restrained in his approach and behavior throughout the entire episode. It should be noted that the asswipe doing the filming was also an idiot that kept goading and baiting the officer. It bothers me that police officers still seem to be ignorant of what is now established law (citizens have a right to record police in public setting, and that should not come as a surprise or some sort of revelation) but something about the way the guy went about it seemed like he was hoping to bait the officer into a situation and that was unnecessary.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I'm a huge advocate that ex-service personnel should never be allowed to be a civilian police officer with the exemption of Military Police Officers making that transition.

I believe soldiers of any enlisted rank never make good civilian police officers - Officers on the other hand could have the aptitude to civilian duties and demands.

Marines in particular are trained to be proactive and aggressive by nature
i hope this officer is suspended and fined.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 11:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a huge advocate that ex-service personnel should never be allowed to be a civilian police officer with the exemption of Military Police Officers making that transition.

I believe soldiers of any enlisted rank never make good civilian police officers - Officers on the other hand could have the aptitude to civilian duties and demands.

Marines in particular are trained to be proactive and aggressive by nature

Posted on: 2015/4/27 6:18
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

New Jersey Police Officer Unlawfully Detains Man for Video Recording Traffic Stop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey Police Officer Unlawfully Detains Man for Video Recording Traffic Stop

?April 26, 2015

A New Jersey police officer who served three tours in Iraq as a U.S. Marine didn?t think twice about violating a man?s First Amendment right to record in public.

Perhaps Jersey City police officer Ramon Aponte was overseas when court decision after court decision, not to mention news article after news article, confirmed citizens have the right to record police from public sidewalks.

Or perhaps Aponte just continues to treat all citizens as enemy combatants because it?s all he knows how to do.

The video, uploaded Saturday by Joe Feranti, lasts almost 14 minutes, kicking off with Aponte asking for Feranti?s name after walking up to him and informing him he also has a camera on his uniform.

When Feranti refuses to provide his name, Apponte get stupid.

?
?Because at this point, if you?re recording my stop, then I have to seize your phone,? Aponte said.

?No, you don?t,? said Joe Feranti.

?Yes, I do,? Aponte said.

?That?s not true,? Feranti said.

?Really? Ok, I?m going to call my boss, you?re going to stand here, I?m going to detain you. And then we?ll figure this out,? Aponte said.

Minutes go by and Aponte tells a woman standing by observing to walk away because ?it?s a no standing stop,? whatever that means.

More cops eventually arrive and stand around looking clueless until Sergeant K. Browne finally arrives and asks for identification, which Feranti refuses to provide.

Sergeant Browne accuses Feranti of being a ?distraction? to Aponte while he was conducting a minor traffic stop.

Browne eventually tells Feranti he is free to go, telling him, ?you were never detained.?

?You?re not detained. You?re not in handcuffs. Are you in handcuffs? Are you in a police car? You can leave now,? Browne said, obviously confusing detainment with actual arrest.

For all his lack of training, Aponte makes more than $96,000 a year.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/201 ... o-recording-traffic-stop/

Posted on: 2015/4/27 5:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017