Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: How much do Jersey City residents spend on taxes? Report says more than most
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pointing out the JC enjoys a greatly subsidized school system, when some complain about their 'high' taxes, is simply stating a fact. If that offends you on some level that's your problem. We all should demand accountability from the tax money we fund our government, and it's clear that with the terrible graduation rate in JC the money isn't being well spent.

We'd be more sympathetic if you seemed more bothered by the poor performance than the money. Do you suggest that Abbott should be rolled back and JC should spend half of what your town of Millburn does per student? Clearly that would make you happy, regardless of the educational outcome.

It's so sad that there are currently only 2 kinds of Republicans, the ones trying to control other people's "morals", and those with no morals whatsoever who only care about their wallets.

Posted on: 2015/4/19 19:32

Re: How much do Jersey City residents spend on taxes? Report says more than most
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Pointing out the JC enjoys a greatly subsidized school system, when some complain about their 'high' taxes, is simply stating a fact. If that offends you on some level that's your problem. We all should demand accountability from the tax money we fund our government, and it's clear that with the terrible graduation rate in JC the money isn't being well spent.

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
You really should think about moving somewhere that is more compatible with your worldview. I say that in all sincerity. Clearly NJ is a fundamentally more liberal/Democratic place than you'd like it to be and that isn't likely to change in any great way in our lifetimes. I can't imagine going through life so worked up about something I can't change directly (but could by finding another place that would make me happier) to the point where I am bitching 100 times a month on a community website about it.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Combined, Newark and JC taxpayers receive a $1.7 billion dollar/year subsidy for their school systems from the taxpayers of NJ, it's a great deal.

Posted on: 2015/4/19 10:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
That's a simplistic interpretation and fundamentally wrong. He isn't being "oppressed" because of his race, gender, orientation, religion, etc. NJ is a high tax, notoriously corrupt place just like it has cold winters and hot summers. It's right there on the first page of the handbook you get when you move here. (I think they teach it in third grade if you grow up here...)

You can choose to be happy. If that requires taking a look around you and recognizing that you are beating your head against a wall that isn't going to give - so be it. If a low-tax, more honestly governed, etc. society means so much to you that you feel the need to wage daily war on a community message board and probably aren't really taking other, more meaningful steps to change the culture you so adamantly oppose, you might be happier somewhere else. It was an honest observation and it really isn't any different than suggesting to your parents they move somewhere warmer because they can't tolerate cold winters anymore.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
You really should think about moving somewhere that is more compatible with your worldview.

By that logic,

- all gay and lesbian couples should leave the South and relocate to NYC, California and other progressive places to escape discrimination.

- all blacks should leave the US to avoid discrimination, and persecution, by the police and other forms enabled by entrenched institutional racism

etc, etc, etc

Posted on: 2015/4/18 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
You really should think about moving somewhere that is more compatible with your worldview. I say that in all sincerity. Clearly NJ is a fundamentally more liberal/Democratic place than you'd like it to be and that isn't likely to change in any great way in our lifetimes. I can't imagine going through life so worked up about something I can't change directly (but could by finding another place that would make me happier) to the point where I am bitching 100 times a month on a community website about it.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Combined, Newark and JC taxpayers receive a $1.7 billion dollar/year subsidy for their school systems from the taxpayers of NJ, it's a great deal.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/18 10:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/30 23:23
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't know people paid taxes in Newark. Why do they need so much help from other taxpayers? (sarcasm)

Posted on: 2015/4/17 23:57

How much do Jersey City residents spend on taxes? Report says more than most
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

How much do Jersey City residents spend on taxes? Report says more than most

By Summer Dawn Hortillosa | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
April 17, 2015 at  5:21 PM

Tax Day has come and gone, and while some eagerly await their refunds, others are dreading handing their dollars over to the tax man.

In Jersey City, the amount that homeowners and renters pay in taxes -- income, property and sales taxes combined -- is among the highest in the nation, according to a recent NerdWallet.com report

The personal finance website examined how much the average American household pays in taxes and found that most shell out $14,000, or 27 percent of their total income.

Of the 100 largest cities in the U.S., Jersey City households spend the 15th highest of their annual income on taxes, according to the study.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... n_taxes.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/4/17 22:31

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017