Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Jersey City Mayor Seeks to Limit Chain Stores Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Welcome to American capitalism buddy. Competition is what it is..."

Please. Capitalism exists by virtue of government oversight and regulation. Even in America.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Welcome to American capitalism buddy. Competition is what it is, and as much as it sucks sometimes, this is completely fair competition. Nothing unfair or illegal about Wal-Mart or whomever being able to outbid you on a space. So which small business in Jersey City do you own?

Rather than expecting the local government to look out for your business, why not offer a superior product or service that gives me a reason to come into your store?

Case in point: the local pharmacy near me(NOT Palace Drugs) has extremely limited hours compared to Duane Reade or any other of the large chains, but the pharmacist there is very friendly and takes the time to explain any medications I'm obtaining at his pharmacy. Duane Reade just fills my prescription and doesn't seem to care whether they get my business or not (and I still regard the people in those stores as friendly too). As limited as the local pharmacy's hours are, I make a point to try and get prescriptions filled over there, because I like the pharmacist/owner there who gives me a reason to use the store. But he can't satisfy my needs all of the time, so I head to Duane Reade, and why should the local government deny me that choice by preventing a chain store from coming into a building?

I have plenty other examples of this and would be happy to provide more. Furthermore, as discussed on another thread, the small businesses are getting much more squeezed by something else anyway - online sales. Should Jersey City prevent Amazon and other online stores from delivering to our residences as well?

City hall might win a few battles here, but they will ultimately lose the war.

I think you should read a lil Adam Smith, Friedman, Keynes, Samuelson, etc... unfettered capitalism does not always result in the optimum result, there are several occasions where government (having the power to impose regulation) is required in order to drive an optimal situation/result. The butcher doesn't sell meat because he cares if you eat, he sells meat to make money, and if allowed to, he will give you meat that is pumped full of solution at as high a price as possible. oh, you will just go to another butcher you say because the quality elsewhere is better... well, unfortunately the conditions that are required for your theory to work aren't present in a world full of significant barriers to competition (i.e. long-term leases, deep corporate bank accounts).

Posted on: 2015/4/13 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Typical conservative oversimplification. Once the landlords smell big rents and the big boxes who will gladly pay them move in if unchecked, the free market doesn't exist anymore.

Kinda' like the way the residential real estate and private school markets are working all over Jersey City - most especially in downtown. So should we move to regulate these markets, too?

Quote:
Again, it's not banning all chains and choices... it's trying to keep the big pocketed corporations who can afford to pay sky high rents from taking over downtown.

Again, it's not banning all residents and choices...it's trying to keep the big pocketed residents who can afford to pay sky high rents/mortgages and private school tuitions from taking over downtown.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

citybooster wrote:
Typical conservative oversimplification. Once the landlords smell big rents and the big boxes who will gladly pay them move in if unchecked, the free market doesn't exist anymore. It becomes who has the most money and those who don't have the reserves that big chains have simply can't even get on the playing field to compete. Real free markets don't exist for too long when the incentives to make as much money as you can trumps considerations of what's better for the community.

Welcome to American capitalism buddy. Competition is what it is, and as much as it sucks sometimes, this is completely fair competition. Nothing unfair or illegal about Wal-Mart or whomever being able to outbid you on a space. So which small business in Jersey City do you own?

Rather than expecting the local government to look out for your business, why not offer a superior product or service that gives me a reason to come into your store?

Case in point: the local pharmacy near me(NOT Palace Drugs) has extremely limited hours compared to Duane Reade or any other of the large chains, but the pharmacist there is very friendly and takes the time to explain any medications I'm obtaining at his pharmacy. Duane Reade just fills my prescription and doesn't seem to care whether they get my business or not (and I still regard the people in those stores as friendly too). As limited as the local pharmacy's hours are, I make a point to try and get prescriptions filled over there, because I like the pharmacist/owner there who gives me a reason to use the store. But he can't satisfy my needs all of the time, so I head to Duane Reade, and why should the local government deny me that choice by preventing a chain store from coming into a building?

I have plenty other examples of this and would be happy to provide more. Furthermore, as discussed on another thread, the small businesses are getting much more squeezed by something else anyway - online sales. Should Jersey City prevent Amazon and other online stores from delivering to our residences as well?

City hall might win a few battles here, but they will ultimately lose the war.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 19:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 17:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Typical conservative oversimplification. Once the landlords smell big rents and the big boxes who will gladly pay them move in if unchecked, the free market doesn't exist anymore. It becomes who has the most money and those who don't have the reserves that big chains have simply can't even get on the playing field to compete. Real free markets don't exist for too long when the incentives to make as much money as you can trumps considerations of what's better for the community.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
don't worry, if a chain really wants to be in jc, they will find a way...limit the size, such as walmart express, or go over to newport/turnpike alley

Posted on: 2015/4/13 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

citybooster wrote:
Fulop's solution may need work but the intentions are in the right place.

Solution to what?

Posted on: 2015/4/13 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

citybooster wrote:
Is the current proposal the best to limit homogenization of retail options and prevent downtown Jersey City from looking like "Anywhere, USA"? Maybe not... and Yvonne couldn't be more wrong. Small businesses that might have a few locations doesn't constitute the kind of corporate chain Fulop is trying to limit. Again, it's not banning all chains and choices... it's trying to keep the big pocketed corporations who can afford to pay sky high rents from taking over downtown. That's what the landlords want... big$$$ and the whole concept of let the free market choose is bogus because powerful people inevitably do their best(both landlords and companies) to maximize their bottom line whether it benefits the consumer or not. When the residential market goes up it shouldn't price out the community.. nobody does anything about it. "Choice" is a very limited reality in the market as it goes... you get upscale or brand friendly middlebrow but you don't have the individual investment a community where more of the businesses don't have remote corporate headquarters that only wantto get bigger and fatter on your dime even if they don't even pay their workers all that well. They don't have a skin in the game except as that "Anywhere, USA" cash cow. Fulop's solution may need work but the intentions are in the right place.

So in other words, govt knows what's best for the consumer. What a waste of taxpayer resources on this issue.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 17:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 17:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Is the current proposal the best to limit homogenization of retail options and prevent downtown Jersey City from looking like "Anywhere, USA"? Maybe not... and Yvonne couldn't be more wrong. Small businesses that might have a few locations doesn't constitute the kind of corporate chain Fulop is trying to limit. Again, it's not banning all chains and choices... it's trying to keep the big pocketed corporations who can afford to pay sky high rents from taking over downtown. That's what the landlords want... big$$$ and the whole concept of let the free market choose is bogus because powerful people inevitably do their best(both landlords and companies) to maximize their bottom line whether it benefits the consumer or not. When the residential market goes up it shouldn't price out the community.. nobody does anything about it. "Choice" is a very limited reality in the market as it goes... you get upscale or brand friendly middlebrow but you don't have the individual investment a community where more of the businesses don't have remote corporate headquarters that only wantto get bigger and fatter on your dime even if they don't even pay their workers all that well. They don't have a skin in the game except as that "Anywhere, USA" cash cow. Fulop's solution may need work but the intentions are in the right place.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Many "moms and pops stores" now own franchise, yet this is the type of store Fulop wants to curtail. If the cost of doing business is too high let's look at government. Every year water goes up 3.75% and sewerage goes up 3.75%, on top of that, Fulop kept $31.5 million of MUA overpayment. Perhaps the small businesses are disappearing is due to the cost of government.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
What's particularly disappointing is to see so many people in other online forums (NextDoor being a good example) supporting this initiative. It seems like some/most people that support this idea see it as a "pro mom & pop initiative" but fail to see or acknowledge that limiting chain stores is not necessarily that. The way I see it, those people are like the pro-lifers that try and frame the "pro choice" supporters are pro-abortion. It is disingenuous.

You can support the "pro choice" movement and still not be personally in favor of abortions. You can support "consumer choice" and still not be personally in favor of chain stores.

Plainly put, this initiative is a solution in search of a problem. I hope the council takes a minute to think this through and, hopefully, realize the blunder this will be. If they fail to act sensibly, I really wish commercial property owners affected by this will unite and take the city to court for overstepping their authority.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:

Any attempt to force those profitable chain stores away is an attempt to impose the views of the pretentious hipster minority on the poor and lower-middle class majority that makes value-based choices.

Limo-liberal attitude in a can.

While I am 100% against this initiative, pitting one "group" against the other is only going to be problematic. I don't consider myself one of the "pretentious hipster minority" (among other things, probably too old to be a "hipster"), but I don't know what you'd consider me as a white professional.

That being said, many of my cohort who I've spoken to are against this. So, I suggest you put aside any prejudices and unite on this front even if you can't seem to get over any other issues.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I despise Duane Reade

And you can show them by not going there ever.
What is so hard about it? You don't like it - you don't shop there.

Then we know how to tell apart the shops that are liked by the population from the shops that are not liked: the former will be profitable and the latter will close.

Any attempt to force those profitable chain stores away is an attempt to impose the views of the pretentious hipster minority on the poor and lower-middle class majority that makes value-based choices.

We may not always see eye to eye on this forum, borisp, but on this issue I agree with you 100%. I can only guess that the local government deciding which stores should be available or not available to the consumers is also something that smacks of the former Soviet Union. Inefficient central planning that when trying to macro-manage supply and demand, 9 times out of 10, gets it all wrong.

Posted on: 2015/4/12 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nomorebullcrap wrote:
So instead let's build a hundred more skyscrapers!!! SARCASM!!

No, better idea - let's build stores you can afford to buy stuff from and places you could afford to live in. So let's build 100 more 99 cent stores so you can go on a shopping spree..yay!

Posted on: 2015/4/12 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I despise Duane Reade

And you can show them by not going there ever.
What is so hard about it? You don't like it - you don't shop there.

Then we know how to tell apart the shops that are liked by the population from the shops that are not liked: the former will be profitable and the latter will close.

Posted on: 2015/4/12 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nomorebullcrap wrote:
don't worry, there are plans for hundreds of skyscrapers in jersey city from river to shining river. it will be glorious and will put jc on the map

Posted on: 2015/4/12 11:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/16 14:24
From Beirut
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/10 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i can understand fulop's point about kicking out mom & pop operators, and i sympathize with mom & pop operators but the trend is not their friend. just look at all the bodegas that have been displaced by 7-11 stores in manhattan.

Posted on: 2015/4/9 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I despise Duane Reade

+1

Why is the Duana Reade at Grove Pointe the most expensive Duane Reade I've ever frequented? The prices are ridiculous.

When it's 3 a.m. and I've been kept awake by a godawful case of heartburn, I'll pay whatever price they're asking for antacid. Until a mom & pop drug store is able to match that sort of 24-hour convenience, I'm happy to have DR within walking distance.

FYI a teaspoon of baking soda and warm water works fine as well.

Okay, MacGyver. And what's your home remedy if I just happened to hook up with someone and am in need of contraception? Do tell!

Posted on: 2015/4/9 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

and you still suck

Posted on: 2015/4/9 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DTJC is so far apart from your section of JC user it minus well be the difference between the upper east side of Manhattan and Inwood, Manhattan.

And whenever user mentions aholes, he is referring to people who care a damn to get a better paying job than him. Just so everyone knows...

It took me a good two minutes to figure out this should have said "might as well"...

Posted on: 2015/4/9 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Jersey City will continue to be Jersey City with a few pompous a holes who wish it was something more or else. I support this plan, we have nothing but mom and pops here in my area, the chain stores are located in the strip malls where they belong.

People wanting their neighborhood to improve and include more options/amenities has absolutely nothing to do with wishing that their home was something or somewhere else...

Posted on: 2015/4/9 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I despise Duane Reade

+1

Why is the Duana Reade at Grove Pointe the most expensive Duane Reade I've ever frequented? The prices are ridiculous.

When it's 3 a.m. and I've been kept awake by a godawful case of heartburn, I'll pay whatever price they're asking for antacid. Until a mom & pop drug store is able to match that sort of 24-hour convenience, I'm happy to have DR within walking distance.

FYI a teaspoon of baking soda and warm water works fine as well.

Posted on: 2015/4/9 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I despise Duane Reade

+1

Posted on: 2015/4/9 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Jersey City will continue to be Jersey City with a few pompous a holes who wish it was something more or else. I support this plan, we have nothing but mom and pops here in my area, the chain stores are located in the strip malls where they belong.

DTJC is so far apart from your section of JC user it minus well be the difference between the upper east side of Manhattan and Inwood, Manhattan.

And whenever user mentions aholes, he is referring to people who care a damn to get a better paying job than him. Just so everyone knows...

Posted on: 2015/4/9 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/9 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I'm not sure what your point is.

I'm sorry if you do not have any reading comprehension or any inference ability

Posted on: 2015/4/9 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
what i wouldn't do to be able to go to a cheesecake factory, california pizza kitcehn or chart house

This sentiment is the main reason why Jersey City is never really going to be a true alternative to Brooklyn.

There are many different versions of Brooklyn just as there are many different versions of Jersey City. Places like Sheepshead Bay have Applebees, while Park Slope residents would sneer at such a thing. Same with Jersey City.

Downtown Jersey City is and will continue to be (more and more so) an alternative to brownstone Brooklyn. The rest of Jersey City largely will continue to not be (partial exceptions to Journal Square of the future, and parts of JC Heights).

Posted on: 2015/4/9 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
This sentiment is the main reason why Jersey City is never really going to be a true alternative to Brooklyn.

LOL

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/ ... b-for-big-chain-retailers

I'm not sure what your point is. Chains want to be on Bedford Avenue because its trendy. Its not trendy because the chains are there. If anything, since the chain stores have opened, Bedford Avenue has become less popular among the people who actually live there. The increase in chainstores might explain why there are so many B&T from Jersey pouring out at N 7th every weekend.

EDIT: I forgot to add "LOL" for emphasis.

LOL LOL LOL

Posted on: 2015/4/9 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

LOL

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/ ... b-for-big-chain-retailers

Posted on: 2015/4/9 16:47

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact