Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Tilted Kilt - Pub & Eatery (&boobs) - CLOSED
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I just hope they don't cover up all the windows like TK did. I was going to go in one time, but didn't feel like dining in a cave.

At the end of the day the place is by the beer garden and Surf City, so I know what TK was thinking, but both of those places offer something unique and interesting as far as atmosphere and the choice between those spots and TK wasn't even a choice.

I kind of like inauthentic americanized Mexican so I'll probably give this place a shot. Too bad it isn't Jose Tejas moving in...

Posted on: 2015/3/31 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Ya gotta love jclist! I've been to Red Cadillac twice and the food was good, not great. I enjoyed the tequila cocktails I had. Service was terrific. It's a massive upgrade over the Tilted Kilt. But if you're going to cherry pick negative comments on Yelp, know that they're given 3 1/2 stars to Tilted Kilt's 2 1/2 stars-with about 4X the number of reviewers as well.

Rough crowd here, lol.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
I have a feeling this is going to be one of those cursed locations.

From the looks of the food on the red cadillac site, they'd have better luck next to a tilted kilt out in the suburbs where people still eat like the '90s. Greasy shredded american cheese, flour tortillas, burnt dry chicken breast, and a whole lot of blah. You can't come to Jersey City and compete with the Taqueria and Orale with a bad location and worse food.

Resized Image

Resized Image

and some of their reviews:
"Filthy, dirty, and disgusting. The food is old and dried out. Everything is covered in a layer of grime."

"This is the worst experience I've ever had at a restaurant."

"the bottom line here is that its ok if its nots not authentic mexican food but for the price it should at least be decent food and on both counts this restaurant fails."

"This has to be the WORST experience I've ever had at a restaurant.

"Overall, terrible service and long waits for mediocre food. I'd rather get my Mexican food fix at Taco bell."

"First, food is terrible. Amateur Mexican. They can't even get the corn tortillas right, they taste like the ones from a box of Old El Paso! It's insulting to Mexican cuisine. I feel like I can say so because I lived in SoCal and have eaten my fair share of authentic Mexican food. It's really bad. I even returned to give them a second chance but it was still gross. If you like real Mexican try Taqueria in Jersey City or Tacombi in NYC. These places are legit.

Second, it looks like Guy Fieri decorated the place. Purposely tacky.

Third, margaritas taste chemically.

Owners, take note that people like quality. Get your act together because I really want some good Mexican food near home, but if guess for now the best I have is stupid Chipotle....."

"Food is straight up just bland. Nothing at all sticks out on their small and limited menu. Except maybe the salsa- in which the garlic is extremely overpowering. Everything is over priced. "

"Our Vegetarian party of five came to the Red Cadillac to celebrate a birthday. We noticed that all of the main entr?es were served with beans and rice and inquired if they were prepared vegetarian. We were reassured MULTIPLE times by our waitress that the sides of rice and beans which are half of the main entr?es were vegetarian, however after all five of us (vegetarians)ordered our meals we discovered that they were indeed not. The beans were prepared with bacon and the rice was cooked in chicken broth."

Posted on: 2015/3/31 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Red Cadillac would be a giant improvement over the Titled Kilt, especially if you like tequila!

I hope their food is better than their website which is annoying and hard to navigate.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
i'll add to the growing chorus of people not shedding a tear about this place. My old yelp review from '13 ended with "The beer and UFC is enough to make me give this another shot, but if they can't figure out their ass from a hole in the ground, it'll be the last."

I never did give it another shot. Darn.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully the food is good. Mediocre Mexican doesn't last, RiP Baja, Boca, Blue Moon. Somehow Bubby's is still here.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Red Cadillac would be a giant improvement over the Titled Kilt, especially if you like tequila!

Posted on: 2015/3/31 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
They misjudged the demographic of DTJC completely. Take a look at their franchise locations on the company's website, and it's clear what their business model is. You'll see that most of them are in metropolitan areas, but either on the outskirts of the city proper or in a suburban, highway-type location just outside of the city.

For somebody not familiar with the area, Jersey City might appear to be an "inner suburb" of NYC but it simply does not function that way at all in the NY DMA. It's a completely different demographic than if you would even just go a couple of more miles west.

They understood the demographic, or at least should have. It is a franchise and the owner also owns the Hoboken location. He is partnered with the Gull's Cove developer (who also developed the bldg. the Hoboken Tilted Klit is in.) The developer essentially gives the space away for a piece of the business. I live in Gulls Cove and over the last two years you could safely count the crowd on both hands when walking by. Good riddance.

Something called The Red Cadillac is supposed to be coming next. There is one in Union.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
The place was odd location. I went there when it opened and the Pub food was decent... the service was always questionable. "Quality" crashed slowly and I gave up the first summer when the AC failed. Would ride my bike by and the doors were always propped open. I always thought they were trying to hold on waiting for the hotel construction to finish. Their clientele would change from hardhats to visiting white collar types from hotel. Look for an episode of Under Cover Boss... TK CEO/Founder went into field. Always wondered how he missed visiting JC/Hoboken locations.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I had gone in once for one beer while killing time before a soccer game. The bartender was pleasant but the place was dead on a Tuesday night.

I have no problem with the place disappearing. I do feel bad for those that were working there and are now unemployed. Hopefully, they find work some place a little less degrading.

Given the kitchen and bar size as well as the development in the region, a solid restaurant could do well. It would definitely have to have a somewhat family friendly feel to it.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 13:31
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah it is a large space, I would much rather have a tilted kilt than it being vacant. Maddox has had its first floor retail empty since opening. Is Trump's retail open yet? Does 18 Park have retail available too?

Posted on: 2015/3/31 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I can't think of a place I'd have been less interested in visiting, so I'm not sorry to see it go. However, it's a huge space, isn't it? And not a prime location. It's probably going to be tough to rent, and I hate seeing empty storefronts.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Few people living above TK had anything nice to say about it. It's a family-heavy building with a sizeable gay population as well. 225 Grand and 18 Park are not much different in terms of demographics. Neither group was a logical target for this joint. So they more or less missed out on a built in population base.

I'm hoping for either a bake shop, a high end bodega like Hudson and Greene, or sushi joint.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 11:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
They misjudged the demographic of DTJC completely. Take a look at their franchise locations on the company's website, and it's clear what their business model is. You'll see that most of them are in metropolitan areas, but either on the outskirts of the city proper or in a suburban, highway-type location just outside of the city.

For somebody not familiar with the area, Jersey City might appear to be an "inner suburb" of NYC but it simply does not function that way at all in the NY DMA. It's a completely different demographic than if you would even just go a couple of more miles west.

Actually, this Tilted Kilt concept probably would have worked wonderfully in a place like say, Clifton or somewhere on Route 3 or 17. Is the Hoboken location successful?

Like the previous poster, I am never really happy to have a place close up shop when there were people involved who had faith in Jersey City. But being that this was a place I never went into and never planned on going into, selfishly yes I do hope that something much cooler and more appropriate opens in its place.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
YES !!! Never went, never interested. Maybe a real pub will open there.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 3:19

Re: Jersey City Tilted Kilt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
And I spend a lot of time frequenting the better Irish pubs in NYC, so if they couldn't attract my business, it did not bode well for them.

Irish??? My sainted Irish mom told me that no son of hers would ever be seen dead or alive in a "skirt"....Bagpipes -Scottish. Kilts - Scottish. Irish-American - idiots.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Just came across a note that the JC Tilted Kilt closed... Does anyone know when that happened?

A couple of weeks ago. I live in the building above it. Good riddance. Everything sucked about the place.

Its location certainly didn't help its chances, but it was a pretty dispiriting operation the three times I went in there. A very dark space full of disinterested bartenders and servers pouring beer at Manhattan prices with what I felt to be a sneer of disdain for the kind of pervy guys that would visit a place just to ogle somewhat plain-looking girls in plunging tops. That's the strong impression I had by the last time I stopped in, at least.

If I was out for a sports event, I'd have passed right on by and headed to the Zeppelin. A Hooters with a faux Celtic bent is still a Hooters.

Would a location on Newark Avenue have seen it survive? I lived on Grand Street back when they opened and I would still end up at The Merchant when out for a local drink even though this place was essentially across the street from me. And I spend a lot of time frequenting the better Irish pubs in NYC, so if they couldn't attract my business, it did not bode well for them.

Never happy to see a local business fail, but if nothing else, it's a small victory against the Hoebrokenization of DTJC.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Just came across a note that the JC Tilted Kilt closed... Does anyone know when that happened?

A couple of weeks ago. I live in the building above it. Good riddance. Everything sucked about the place.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 1:26

Jersey City Tilted Kilt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/31 1:06

Re: Tilted Kilt - Pub & Eatery (&boobs)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/31 18:01
From In your dreams
Group:
Registered Users
Yes I have pics and no I'm not posting them. Lol. Ill post a pic of the costume from the website if you want.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Swtgrl81 wrote:
Looks like the schoolgirl costume I wore to my cousins Halloween party. Except I had on 6in stilettos, not grandma shoes. LOL.

Pics?

Posted on: 2013/3/23 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I saw some photos of those girls, and this place needs to start hiring new staff in a hurry. Those muffin toppers gotta go!

Posted on: 2013/3/23 16:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/31 18:01
From In your dreams
Group:
Registered Users
My cousin, my son and myself stopped by this place on our way back from the Devils game last night. We walk in and my son, who is 12, says "mom, is that a dude dressed like a girl? It's so manly looking.There is nothing female about her. Aren't the girls supposed to be pretty? Is that one pregnant?"
We walked right back out. Talk about funny. I laughed my ass off. Just thought I'd throw that out in the open.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
tgifridays! Lol! That's enough for me to scratch it off the list. The only thing that could possibly draw me there is if they had really amazing hot wings. I still can't find any place in the general vicinity that really does the hot wing right. Mind you, I compare everything to Duffs in Buffalo, so my bar is set pretty high. I have to go to mudville in NYC to get my fix on occasion.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The staff is nothing what imagined it would be... They should really upgrade. These look like ordinary Hudson county gals I find at the local home depot on route 440. Not impressed.

What did you expect?

Resized Image

And you probably expect your Subway sandwiches to look like this:
Resized Image

HA! well played.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The staff is nothing what imagined it would be... They should really upgrade. These look like ordinary Hudson county gals I find at the local home depot on route 440. Not impressed.

What did you expect?

Resized Image

And you probably expect your Subway sandwiches to look like this:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/3/22 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Good from far; far from good.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

What did you expect?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/3/22 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

What did you expect? Aspiring models commuting from Manhattan? Men can be soooo delusional....

Posted on: 2013/3/22 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'm just having a hard time imagining who would go there, especially the JC location.

Straight men who are ok with eating mediocre grub and viewing mediocre women. That's about 40% of the JC residents, this place will do well.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 21:12

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017