Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: I just canceled Verizon ….now what do i do with that box
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Verizon installed a huge off white Fios box in the living room (not router, not black cable box).

It is big and ugly. I asked them to remove it now that I canceled. The Verizon customer service person said I can't and that it is now considered a utility and part of the building, like a meter? ... I don't believe it and i hate that thing screwed into the electrical outlet.

On the one hand, don't hesitate to unscrew it and cut the wire. They can't touch you like if you messed with a utility meter, screw em. If you had insisted they would have figured out a way to install it in a closet or such. On the other hand, if you leave it you can easily ping-pong back to them taking advantage of "new customer" pricing. I had FIOS for 2 years and as the discount was expiring went back to Comcast. When that discount expires...

Posted on: 2015/3/31 22:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/30 23:23
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) stays where it is or you can throw it in the garbage and no one will care. It doesn't get returned.

When I moved into JC 3 years ago there was an ONT already here for me to use.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Verizon installed a huge off white Fios box in the living room (not router, not black cable box).

It is big and ugly. I asked them to remove it now that I canceled. The Verizon customer service person said I can't and that it is now considered a utility and part of the building, like a meter? ... I don't believe it and i hate that thing screwed into the electrical outlet.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Overall, I find Verizon FiOS to be a much better provider (from quality of TV, to equipment, to Customer Service, and even technical support) than Comcast (the other JC alternative) which was downright HORRENDOUS.

The secret to Comcast customer service is to DIY where possible. They'll ship you most of the equipment for self-installation. I rarely bother phoning them - their staff at Kennedy Blvd have gotten much better at handling billing issues etc. I've survived over 10 years of not letting Comcast into my house.

When I recently switched from FIOS back to Comcast they insisted on coming even though I already had a modem and told them I was perfectly capable of hooking it up.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey everyone. . . I am not referring to the router or the cable box ?It is that ugly hulking thing attached to your wall and plugged in and screwed to your outlet. I hate it.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
This is what you do with it

https://vimeo.com/60821380

Posted on: 2015/3/28 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Overall, I find Verizon FiOS to be a much better provider (from quality of TV, to equipment, to Customer Service, and even technical support) than Comcast (the other JC alternative) which was downright HORRENDOUS.

The secret to Comcast customer service is to DIY where possible. They'll ship you most of the equipment for self-installation. I rarely bother phoning them - their staff at Kennedy Blvd have gotten much better at handling billing issues etc. I've survived over 10 years of not letting Comcast into my house.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewportNJ wrote:
Similiar situation I have. The TV box started to go bad by not able to show channels I know I have, I called, and they sent me a new one, never said that I needed to returned the bad one.

A few months later, when I really sat down to dissect my bill, I realized I was being charged 2 equipment rentals fees? yup, I had been paying for the bad one the whole time. Good thing I still have the old box and didn't throw it away, otherwise god knows how many hundreds of dollars I would be billed.

Verizon is really a scumbag when compared to Direct TV that I used to have.

I did have this issue, which I noticed a month after I had returned my box. In hindsight, it should have been a red flag for me indicating they had not registered I had returned the old boxes. When I got Verizon FiOS on the phone, they went through the account and credited me the "missing" box charge, along with the extra rental fees for which I was not responsible. Overall, I find Verizon FiOS to be a much better provider (from quality of TV, to equipment, to Customer Service, and even technical support) than Comcast (the other JC alternative) which was downright HORRENDOUS.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Anyway, a word of caution (based on personal experience) regarding the set top boxes. If for any reason you need to return, or exchange, a box, make sure to get a receipt if doing so at a local Verizon location. I recently had to exchange my STB boxes and did so at the local Verizon office (Montgomery St, across from City Diner and Honshu Lounge) and after a few months I got a $550 bill (plus tax!) for "failure to return" of the DVR box. Lucky for me, the guy at the Verizon office remembered me, spent quite a bit of time looking through the system to find my transaction and then printed a copy of my receipt. I then had to call Verizon FiOS and relay the receipt number. Incredibly, their systems are not really linked up properly, and it is not at all uncommon to have to call them with a receipt number to corroborate you have returned your box.

I had a very similar experience. I then talked to coworkers and several of them also were socked with a large bill for failure to return the box.

Based on this, I think it may be their business practice to send these massive bills to everyone who switches away from their service, figuring they'll drop the bills for the people who object. There's got to be a sizeable amount of people who don't say anything.

In my case, I mailed the boxes back, all in the same box they provided to me. I then was told that they only received some boxes back but not others, and received a bill of at least $500. I called up with the tracking number, and apparently this was good enough for them to drop the bill, despite the guy on the phone claiming Verizon still didn't have my box.

I'm guessing the thinking is that since leavers are no longer customers, screw them.

I should clarify that in my particular case, it was not a matter of Verizon being spiteful because I was canceling my service or switching providers. Quite the opposite. I am actually a happy FiOS subscriber. I needed to return my boxes because I needed to get new ones. Obviously, someone screwed up. Whoever took mine back, didn't process or link my account properly. Or, maybe they did and the systems are screwed up and failed to register the transaction. All I know is that the $550 charge got my attention and had me fuming. I truly don't think they are out to get anyone, but I also think they don't go out of their way to provide the best customer service. In any case, calling back the main 1-800 number with the receipt number took care of everything, so I have little to complain about at this point.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 17:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Similiar situation I have. The TV box started to go bad by not able to show channels I know I have, I called, and they sent me a new one, never said that I needed to returned the bad one.

A few months later, when I really sat down to dissect my bill, I realized I was being charged 2 equipment rentals fees? yup, I had been paying for the bad one the whole time. Good thing I still have the old box and didn't throw it away, otherwise god knows how many hundreds of dollars I would be billed.

Verizon is really a scumbag when compared to Direct TV that I used to have.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Anyway, a word of caution (based on personal experience) regarding the set top boxes. If for any reason you need to return, or exchange, a box, make sure to get a receipt if doing so at a local Verizon location. I recently had to exchange my STB boxes and did so at the local Verizon office (Montgomery St, across from City Diner and Honshu Lounge) and after a few months I got a $550 bill (plus tax!) for "failure to return" of the DVR box. Lucky for me, the guy at the Verizon office remembered me, spent quite a bit of time looking through the system to find my transaction and then printed a copy of my receipt. I then had to call Verizon FiOS and relay the receipt number. Incredibly, their systems are not really linked up properly, and it is not at all uncommon to have to call them with a receipt number to corroborate you have returned your box.

I had a very similar experience. I then talked to coworkers and several of them also were socked with a large bill for failure to return the box.

Based on this, I think it may be their business practice to send these massive bills to everyone who switches away from their service, figuring they'll drop the bills for the people who object. There's got to be a sizeable amount of people who don't say anything.

In my case, I mailed the boxes back, all in the same box they provided to me. I then was told that they only received some boxes back but not others, and received a bill of at least $500. I called up with the tracking number, and apparently this was good enough for them to drop the bill, despite the guy on the phone claiming Verizon still didn't have my box.

I'm guessing the thinking is that since leavers are no longer customers, screw them.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
BTW, when I walked by a few weeks ago, the Verizon store at 30 Montgomery str was being gutted. Not sure if they're upgrading the Verizon store that was there, or if something new is coming in.

Just a heads up.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely true that Verizon installers are not that preoccupied with the aesthetics of their unwieldy FiOS boxes or where they get placed. In their defense, the box is best placed wherever closest to where the fiber wiring comes into the home, or where it can be placed with minimum or no exposure. Those fiber optic wires are SUPER fragile. You simply don't want them exposed anywhere inside the home. In new construction, you have the benefit of being able to run the wires inside the walls into a utility closet, or an out of the way location. In existing construction, running fiber inside the house can be a pain.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
The Verizon installation trolls like to install those friggin things in the worst places that seem to be the most convenience for them.

After that happened, I insist that I be present before Verizon (or Comcast) install any new equipment.

Yup, I've had it with them. Last tenant in a newly renovated place I put in the lease that they present a wiring plan to me and that I be present when the installer comes. Otherwise Comcast and Verizon turn a nice apartment into something out of the movie Brazil. In one room with a drop ceiling (yuck) they ran the coax around 3 1/2 sides of the room up and over 2 doors, rather than just use the freakin drop ceiling for the only thing it's suited for, running cable.

I have another unit that has 4, really, 4 coax lines coming in through 1 window frame. WTF? There aren't 4 providers here, never mind that they could have reused the coax line already in place from whoever they were replacing. How about running black coax through a white apartment? They don't see a reason why not.

Rant over.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I have an extra from one of my tenant's apartments. I would like to find out there is a way I could turn it into a repeater to extend my own fios box's range.

You talking bout the big white box or a wifi router?

Shit! My bad.. should have read the original post more closely. I have an extra router. I managed to get (after one debacle) to get all the white boxes installed in basements or utility closets. The white box is the coax to fiber gateway. The Verizon installation trolls like to install those friggin things in the worst places that seem to be the most convenience for them.

I ran Cat-5 in some of my apartments over a decade ago. They managed to mistake it for phone lines, cut them (rendering them inoperable), and placed the white box exposed in a living room instead of in a utility closet where all the Cat-5 cables terminated.

After that happened, I insist that I be present before Verizon (or Comcast) install any new equipment.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I have an extra from one of my tenant's apartments. I would like to find out there is a way I could turn it into a repeater to extend my own fios box's range.

You talking bout the big white box or a wifi router?

Posted on: 2015/3/24 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/24 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Disturbing. You invite fios/verizon into your house and they claim their ONT box is a utility that can't be removed. Personally I'd cut the cord, return the box and risk the consequences.

How dare a private corporation put something into your house that they refuse to remove?

Posted on: 2015/3/24 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
In my rentals I've cut the cable, unmounted it, and shoved it in a closet when I've renovated. They tell me they don't want it back? Fine, whatever. I've taken the nice backup batteries to power my fishfinder on my kayak.

Posted on: 2015/3/23 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Go to a Verizon FIOS store (not to be confused with the fancy retail stores where they sell phones), they might know something. Call the 800 number to find one of the FIOS stores (I think there's one down near the Village, 204 2nd Avenue), they might be able to help you. The store in Newport Mall is not a store that deals with Verizon FIOS issues and they will not be able to help you.

I think this is the list you need:

http://www.verizon.com/support/reside ... questionsone/84843.htm#NJ

or this one:

http://www.verizon.com/support/reside ... questionsone/84843.htm#NY

Good luck.

Posted on: 2015/3/23 23:40

I just canceled Verizon ….now what do i do with that box
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I just got off the phone with Verizon and I am so happy I canceled because they are ruthless. The charged 40 dollar early cancelation fee (24 mo contract until July 2015). Even though I was a customer for double digit years. Ruthless. But that is not the topic I need advice on.

Verizon installed a huge off white Fios box in the living room. It is big and ugly. I asked them to remove it now that I canceled. The Verizon customer service person said I can't and that it is now considered a utility and part of the building, like a meter?

Is this true, this sounds like horse manure ?

Anyone ???

Posted on: 2015/3/23 23:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017