Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Armory ready for first pro boxing night in nearly 15 years
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
This was an awesome event #jerseycitybaby

The Hudson County representation at the Fists of the Fighting Irish boxing event at the Jersey City Armory protected home turf with a pair of electrifying knockouts.

Two bouts after Jersey City welterweight Brayon Rendon finished Frank Jordon with a blow to the body, Jersey City's Tyrell Wright (7-0-1, 5 KOs) delivered the coup de grace to the body of Alando Pugh (1-4-1, 1 KO) in a heavyweight match.

More>>

Posted on: 2015/3/15 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/13 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

In the co-main event, Stevie Quinn Jr. (6-2-0, 1 KO) of Belfast will make his first fight on American soil with a lot on the line. He will battle Georgia's Stephon McIntyre (2-5-2) in a junior featherweight bout for a WBU youth title. And for Quinn, having such a big fight near St. Patrick's Day is a little more special.

I believe he's from Newtownards County Down, not Belfast.

Posted on: 2015/3/13 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(interesting piece in the Hudson Reporter on JC?s boxing history)

Ringside Jersey City's pugilistic past

Mar 22, 2007 by :Jim Hague Jersey City Magazine Correspondent

The sport of boxing has enjoyed a rich and storied history in Jersey City, dating back to before the turn of the 20th century, and that tradition remains strong to this very day. The city has earned its place of prominence, both as a home to some of the most influential bouts in the sport's history, and as a birthplace and residence for some of the best boxers of all time.

Full piece?

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... ey-City-s-pugilistic-past

Posted on: 2015/3/13 21:22

Jersey City Armory ready for first pro boxing night in nearly 15 years
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Garrett Rasko-Martinis | The Jersey Journal

North Bergen resident and WBU world title holder Danny McDermott can remember his uncles reminiscing about a time when the Jersey City Armory hosted some of the biggest names in boxing. Even now, his father will reflect back on such high-profile fights as Bayonne native Chuck Wepner's battle with former world heavyweight champion Sonny Liston.

And now, almost 15 years since Jersey City last hosted a professional boxing night, McDermott, along with business partner and Jersey City native Nicholas Jayme, have organized a nine-bout pro fighting event that will be the first televised boxing event in the history of the Armory.

The two men, who started their own production company, LGM Promotions, organized "The Fists of the Fighting Irish" in collaboration with Global Boxing. Proceeds from Saturday's event - which will be aired by Comcast via GoFightLive, an internet-based broadcaster for boxing, MMA, wrestling and other combat sports - will be donated to the National Guard State Family Readiness Council out of Union.

"I'm all about the history. I think it stirs up some talks, some positivity around the sport. The boxing scene isn't alive and kicking like it used to be. But I think it brings a certain mystique to the community again. I wish I was fighting," McDermott told The Jersey Journal at a press conference for the event Wednesday at O'Leary's Publik House in Jersey City.

McDermott was set to make his first WBU world title defense for the main event Saturday, but had to pull out due to a rotator cuff injury he suffered during training.

Instead, the main event will feature Kansas City's undefeated John Franklin (9-0-0, 4 KOs), an American army veteran and amateur boxing standout, in a WBU featherweight title bout with Josh Crespo (3-2-2, 1 KO) of New Haven, Connecticut.

In the co-main event, Stevie Quinn Jr. (6-2-0, 1 KO) of Belfast will make his first fight on American soil with a lot on the line. He will battle Georgia's Stephon McIntyre (2-5-2) in a junior featherweight bout for a WBU youth title. And for Quinn, having such a big fight near St. Patrick's Day is a little more special.

"It means a lot. And I hope a lot of Irish fans are there as well," he said. "We can all enjoy a beer together after."

There will also be plenty of local talent on display. Tyrell Wright (6-0-1, 4 KOs), Jersey City's undefeated heavyweight, will battle Washington D.C.'s Alando Pugh (1-3-1, 1 KO). As a local, Wright is especially excited to put on a show for his hometown.

"It's wonderful, this is something that Jersey City needs, events like this. It's gonna be a great fight, man," he said. "There's going to be a lot of people, a lot of different nationalities coming together as one. I'm just ready."

Brayon Rendon, a native of Spain who now lives in Union City, will make his professional debut against Frank Jordan (0-3-0) in a welterweight bout. And Jersey City's Jose Ortiz (3-2-1, 1 KO) will take on Tyrone Luckey (5-4-1, 5 KOs) of Middletown in a junior lightweight tilt.

Other fights of note include two fighters represented by Jay-Z's Roc Nation Sports. Heavyweight Zhang Zhilei (2-0-0, 2 KOs), a native of China who lives in Las Vegas, and junior welterweight Wang Zhimin (1-0-0) of China will fight in separate bouts.

More>>

Posted on: 2015/3/13 20:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017