Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Shanghai Best, 95 Montgomery St
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, i see what you mean:)... it would make sense to have a batch of their famous shanghai dong po pork belly made daily and simmered over low heat ready for order and consumption. I have tried it before a few times and it is still a "little" tough for my taste and the food coloring is a little too red.

Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Just like any other food that requires a long time to cook. You cook a batch early in the morning/afternoon to be in sync with lunch/dinner time, then just let it simmer until customer orders it. I think some restaurant also use some type of commercial pressure cooker (not too sure) that can cook it much faster.

Either way what best shanghai served are not fresh cooked, it was cooled then reheated.

I do agree with you, it is still the most authentic chinese food around jersey city and a good addition, but it's more of a dim sum/noodle place to me than an authentic chinese restaurant

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Braised pork takes a few hours to cook, even in Shanghai. How do you expect the restaurant to not use precooked food and expect it to be delivered to your table in less than 10 minutes? Unless you have a domestic at home to take your culinary requests to prepare your meals from scratch, i find Shanghai Best a great addition to the neighborhood.

I agree price is a little high but it is a convenience.

Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
The dumplings are ok, i mean not much to compare to in JC to begin with.

However their entrees are just bleh, i tried their braised pork leg which is considered one of the specialty dishes in shanghai, and to my shock it's not fresh cooked. It's pre-cooked and they just heated it up and serve to you when you order it. No real chinese restaurant does that. Their crystal shrimp is also a joke, it's just supermarket (ocean) shrimp cooked pan fried, i can cook it better myself. It's not river shrimp, and not cooked fresh under strong fire to get that fresh/tender taste.

Nowdays i just order noodle soup when i go there, as their cooked entrees are not authentic, especially considering the price you are paying.

They also just opened up a hot pot sister restaurant next door, that is pretty good. You just need to bring cash as they dont accept credit cards (yeah wtf).

full disclosure I am born and raised in shanghai and pretty picky about my food.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Just like any other food that requires a long time to cook. You cook a batch early in the morning/afternoon to be in sync with lunch/dinner time, then just let it simmer until customer orders it. I think some restaurant also use some type of commercial pressure cooker (not too sure) that can cook it much faster.

Either way what best shanghai served are not fresh cooked, it was cooled then reheated.

I do agree with you, it is still the most authentic chinese food around jersey city and a good addition, but it's more of a dim sum/noodle place to me than an authentic chinese restaurant

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Braised pork takes a few hours to cook, even in Shanghai. How do you expect the restaurant to not use precooked food and expect it to be delivered to your table in less than 10 minutes? Unless you have a domestic at home to take your culinary requests to prepare your meals from scratch, i find Shanghai Best a great addition to the neighborhood.

Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:

However their entrees are just bleh, i tried their braised pork leg which is considered one of the specialty dishes in shanghai, and to my shock it's not fresh cooked. It's pre-cooked and they just heated it up and serve to you when you order it. No real chinese restaurant does that. Their crystal shrimp is also a joke, it's just supermarket (ocean) shrimp cooked pan fried, i can cook it better myself. It's not river shrimp, and not cooked fresh under strong fire to get that fresh/tender taste.

Nowdays i just order noodle soup when i go there, as their cooked entrees are not authentic, especially considering the price you are paying.

They also just opened up a hot pot sister restaurant next door, that is pretty good. You just need to bring cash as they dont accept credit cards (yeah wtf).

full disclosure I am born and raised in shanghai and pretty picky about my food.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Their crystal shrimp is also a joke, it's just supermarket (ocean) shrimp cooked pan fried, i can cook it better myself. It's not river shrimp, and not cooked fresh under strong fire to get that fresh/tender taste

Where do you get fresh water (river) shrimp?

you can buy live or just dead river shrimps in flushing or chinatown by the lbs, it's pretty common

Posted on: 2015/3/11 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Moderator may want to combine this thread with the original Shanghai Best thread:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30232

Posted on: 2015/3/11 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/11 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Their crystal shrimp is also a joke, it's just supermarket (ocean) shrimp cooked pan fried, i can cook it better myself. It's not river shrimp, and not cooked fresh under strong fire to get that fresh/tender taste

Shrimp that comes from the gulf coast is frozen as is the imported shrimp from Asia. Freezing preserves freshness and it kills parasites found in most seafood.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/11 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Thanks for the recommendation for the hot pot place. Much appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/10 21:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/14 1:47
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
It's pretty good definitely beats most of the Chinatown ones. They also have a hot pot restaurant right next door owned by the same boss I assume.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
Has anyone tried the dim sum place on Montgomery St downtown, Shanghai Best?
http://shanghaibestnj.com/

I'd like to go for dim sum on Sunday and wonder how it compares to the places in Chinatown. Cart? Big selection? Quality? Price?

Thanks!

I like their food, but my experience is only with delivery. Dim sum options are limited for delivery, not sure if menu is expanded for sit ins. Quality is good, price is higher.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 15:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
I've been to Shanghai Best twice for their soup dumplings, which I find delicious. The food is fairly good and certainly approved by my Shanghainese friends at work! I have yet to try the dim-sum on weekends, but if I were you I would give it a try and then post your impressions in JCList.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Did you look at the menu? It is limited to Shanghai style dim sum only. It does not offer the same food as the big Chinatown dim sum houses.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:

I'd like to go for dim sum on Sunday and wonder how it compares to the places in Chinatown. Cart? Big selection? Quality? Price?

Thanks!

I've friends that were born and raised in Shanghai that find this place to be excellent. They do say that it is a bit pricey.

In regards to Chinatown... those places are hit or miss. The better Chinese food in New York is found in Flushing.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 14:49
Dos A Cero

Shanghai Best, 95 Montgomery St
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users

Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/3/10 14:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017