Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Just to give everyone a heads-up, so you can keep an eye out for this particular modus operandi, my sister-in-law witnessed a mugging - beat down on the PATH early this morning (on or about 6:30 AM) on a train coming from 33rd st. to JSQ.

A group (the perps who were a mix of male and female) kept walking back and forth through multiple PATH cars, never sitting down. One of the female perps broke off from the pack and sat down next a woman in the car my SIL was riding in. This car had no men.. the women appeared to be all riding individually. The woman who had a perp sit next to her was young and well dressed. The female perp began talking to the young woman. My SIL couldn't make out what was said, but it didn't sound pleasant.

The perp female then got up and left... then returned with a male perp. The male perp then slapped the young woman and accused her of "touching her sister". The young woman protested her innocence at which point the male perp began beating her face in with a closed fist. The woman tried to escape, but the remaining five perps came into the car and blocked her escaped. She continued to get a beat down while being relieved of her belongings.

An older woman in the car hit the emergency call button and tried to inform the train crew what was going on. The doors opened up at JSQ and all 7 perps fled while the train was being swarmed by multiple Port Authority cops. Only one of the perps was captured.

The woman victim required medical attention. Per my SIL (who is a nurse) she got a pretty bad beating. It appears the woman was targeted because it looked like she maybe out of the women in the car, she was the most likely to have nice things. The car it appears was targeted because there was nobody there physically capable of resisting the attack.

The perps were black and appeared to be in age of their late teens.

Edit: Per NJ.Com, 6 got caught. The story got the gender of the victim wrong though.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 2:36

Edited by MDM on 2015/3/11 2:58:55
Edited by MDM on 2015/3/11 3:04:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
100% true. The people at Newport have it the worst. Many trains leave Grove already full. It is not at all uncommon (in my experience) to be in a train that arrives at Newport and no one there is able to get on. At this point, I am surprised more people aren't riding trains back to JSQ to ensure they get a seat without having to deal with the hassle of pushing their way into a crowded car.

I know people who ride from Newport to Hoboken instead at rush hour, and from there, take the HOB-33 train. That train is nowhere near as crowded, and the odds of getting a seat are pretty good even at rush hour. What's ridiculous is the Port Authority treats Hob-33 and JSQ-33 equally. Based on weekday ridership, they should be scaling back the frequency of Hoboken trains and increasing JSQ.

And, yes, you are 100% on point. They should scale back the frequency of HOB trains and run more trains along the JSQ line during rush hour.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
100% true. The people at Newport have it the worst. Many trains leave Grove already full. It is not at all uncommon (in my experience) to be in a train that arrives at Newport and no one there is able to get on. At this point, I am surprised more people aren't riding trains back to JSQ to ensure they get a seat without having to deal with the hassle of pushing their way into a crowded car.

I know people who ride from Newport to Hoboken instead at rush hour, and from there, take the HOB-33 train. That train is nowhere near as crowded, and the odds of getting a seat are pretty good even at rush hour. What's ridiculous is the Port Authority treats Hob-33 and JSQ-33 equally. Based on weekday ridership, they should be scaling back the frequency of Hoboken trains and increasing JSQ.

I do a variation of this, but normally on my way back home during warmer months. On those days when I choose to bring my bicycle into the city, I always ride the HOB train. It is usually empty enough that I can score a seat during the height of the evening rush commute, and I don't need to endure the dirty stares from those inconvenienced or annoyed by my bike. Even during the dog days of Summer, an evening bike ride along the waterfront is pleasant and enjoyable.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
What I meant was Hoboken is >80% white, JC not so much (33%) Newark even less (26%).

I think there is a lot to that, although perhaps more class privledge than race per-se. Remember, Hoboken is a transfer point for suburban commuter trains. A lot of state politicians' constituents arrive in Hoboken Terminal.

And, I see this play out in the bus service - like JSQ, a lot of people transfer to NJ Transit buses in Hoboken, myself included. The 126, which serves north Hoboken and continues on to NYC leaves every few minutes, often with just a handful of (largely white) passengers. My bus, the 87, which runs to the Heights and Greenville is always packed, almost always delayed. IMO, the relative levels of service certainly reflect how well catered too, and influential, their customers are, even if race is at the forefront.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/10 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
What I meant was Hoboken is >80% white, JC not so much (33%) Newark even less (26%).

Posted on: 2015/3/10 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
What's ridiculous is the Port Authority treats Hob-33 and JSQ-33 equally. Based on weekday ridership, they should be scaling back the frequency of Hoboken trains and increasing JSQ.

Another example of white privilege.

It ain't no privilege for me and I'm white. I suffer with everyone else on the JSQ/HOB-33 trains on the weekends when I'm headed back to Jersey City, and I'm not among the people (who are not all white BTW) that get off in Hoboken. Silly comment.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
What's ridiculous is the Port Authority treats Hob-33 and JSQ-33 equally. Based on weekday ridership, they should be scaling back the frequency of Hoboken trains and increasing JSQ.

Another example of white privilege.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/10 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc2007 wrote:
Does anyone know what happened to the NY Waterway Ferry service from Newport?

The landing site is deteriorating, NYW doesn't think it's safe. NYW talked to Newport about an alternate site, and apparently decided that Paulus Hook was close enough.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _of_newport_terminal.html

Posted on: 2015/3/10 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewportNJ wrote:
Quote:
They will ruin the Newport stop even more. If you have to wait for a train or two to pass at Grove due to overcrowding, forget ever having enough room at Newport.

The only way to get on for folks at Newport will have to be take the train in the opposite direction to JSQ, then get on the empty train going back. I did it every morning during Sandy and sure beats missing 3-4 trains in a row.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc2007 wrote:

After a year, or two, during which they kept saying it would be rebuilt, they finally decided to do away with it.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 11:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
They will ruin the Newport stop even more. If you have to wait for a train or two to pass at Grove due to overcrowding, forget ever having enough room at Newport.

The only way to get on for folks at Newport will have to be take the train in the opposite direction to JSQ, then get on the empty train going back. I did it every morning during Sandy and sure beats missing 3-4 trains in a row.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 0:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 17:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/10 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
If Staten Island can get a free ferry, why can't Jersey City?

Nothing is free. So who will pay for it?

How about the tax payers who pay some of the highest taxes in the nation?

Posted on: 2015/3/9 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Been here in DTJC for 26 years, the PATH Train is a nightmare as far as crowding goes. It's only going to get worse. Lets review, the trains go in on one track and return on another. Any train that goes into 33rd Street has to be turned around and so all but one of the inbound trains have to wait. They cannot increase service. If they had a circular route then it would be easy to increase trains.

I ride the PATH every weekday from 830-9. It's not a nightmare. If there's delays, yes the trains are very full. And some times I can't get on the first train that gets by. But it's not a nightmare. Enough with the histrionics.

Ever talk to someone who rode the 4-5-6 or L? You'd be begging for the PATH.

That being said, the PATH could be so much better than it is and it's clear that the service is what it is now because they don't care about serving its riders.

if a briefcase up your butt for 30 minutes to 33rd street is not a nightmare then I don't want to know what kind of nightmares you have...

That's a rare occurrence for me at least. If it's that bad for you, politely ask them to put the bag down.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

Nothing is free. So who will pay for it?

Posted on: 2015/3/9 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Been here in DTJC for 26 years, the PATH Train is a nightmare as far as crowding goes. It's only going to get worse. Lets review, the trains go in on one track and return on another. Any train that goes into 33rd Street has to be turned around and so all but one of the inbound trains have to wait. They cannot increase service. If they had a circular route then it would be easy to increase trains.

I ride the PATH every weekday from 830-9. It's not a nightmare. If there's delays, yes the trains are very full. And some times I can't get on the first train that gets by. But it's not a nightmare. Enough with the histrionics.

That being said, the PATH could be so much better than it is and it's clear that the service is what it is now because they don't care about serving its riders.

It is packed to capacity by Grove Street, and there are three soon-to-be-full highrises just outside the entrance. So, a nightmare-in-the-making, at least.

Overall, it's not packed to capacity at Grove. That's just hyperbole.

But I am also concerned about Grove once these new buildings are finished.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/9 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
It is packed to capacity by Grove Street, and there are three soon-to-be-full highrises just outside the entrance. So, a nightmare-in-the-making, at least.

Yeah Grove to WTC felt like the worst ever. Nobody ever gets off and it's always packed during the morning rush. When I used to be in that area a few years ago, I would often just walk to Exch Pl. since a lot of people from JSQ and beyond get off there.

Those new high rises will seriously ruin that stop.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

Yeah Grove to WTC felt like the worst ever. Nobody ever gets off and it's always packed during the morning rush. When I used to be in that area a few years ago, I would often just walk to Exch Pl. since a lot of people from JSQ and beyond get off there.

Those new high rises will seriously ruin that stop.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

if a briefcase up your butt for 30 minutes to 33rd street is not a nightmare then I don't want to know what kind of nightmares you have...

Posted on: 2015/3/9 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/9 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/9 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2015/3/9 15:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/19 14:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Dolomiti - you are aware that the PATH a few years ago was cheaper, less crowded, and had increased service (ie. Direct train from HOB to 33rd on weekends for example).

I am, I've taken the PATH for years. I take it nearly every day, including during rush hour.

I don't see a huge difference in crowding. There are many times during the morning rush hour when one 33rd Street train will be packed to the gills, and the next one (5 minutes later) has plenty of room. Evening rush hours do get bad when there are delays, otherwise it's not that crowded.

PATH certainly isn't perfect, but it isn't anywhere near as horrifying as people suggest (with the exception of abysmal communication). What can I say, I simply don't think my life is ruined because a Saturday train ride takes 5 minutes longer than it used to.

you can't see it is more crowded than in previous years? are you kidding me?

I have never seen it more crowded than the past 2 years. Problems at rush hour where I wait for a second train or sometimes take a train to Hoboken and start again to get in to the city or home. I leave for my job super early so I'm between 30-60 minutes earlier (and depend on husband to take my kids to school) for work to avoid the issues I face on the PATH train not being reliable. I can't see whoever is defending the PATH as individuals who depend on this daily in jobs that are meager pay where you can't be late for work or you're fired. I've lived here over 15 years and it's the worst mode of transit I have had to depend on. And I'm starting to not afford it either. I'm shocked they don't increase PATH trains.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I really really really hope the reason you say anything positive about the PATH is because you have 0 real world experience riding the PATH.

This wasn't directed at me, but I'll chime in anyway. I live in the Heights, so any trip into Manhattan below 23rd Street (which I do daily for work and usually once a weekend) involves an NJ Transit bus and PATH. The PATH is by far the best part of my commute - they arrive when they are scheduled to, and the occasional disruption due to equipment or signal problems aside, operate reliably and on-time 85% of the time.

By comparison, NJ Transit buses to-and-from PATH almost never keep to the printed schedule, arrive in groups of 2 or more after long waits, usually because they get bogged in JC or Hoboken's interminable, out-of-control traffic, resulting in a trip that is supposed to take 13 minutes taking 45 minutes or more.

The PATH is not without it's problems, but as someone who is dependent on the regions other, dysfunctional transit option, I am surprised by the animus expressed towards it.

like i said, increasing costs, decreased service, and horrible communication do not make for a good system.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Dolomiti - you are aware that the PATH a few years ago was cheaper, less crowded, and had increased service (ie. Direct train from HOB to 33rd on weekends for example).

I am, I've taken the PATH for years. I take it nearly every day, including during rush hour.

I don't see a huge difference in crowding. There are many times during the morning rush hour when one 33rd Street train will be packed to the gills, and the next one (5 minutes later) has plenty of room. Evening rush hours do get bad when there are delays, otherwise it's not that crowded.

PATH certainly isn't perfect, but it isn't anywhere near as horrifying as people suggest (with the exception of abysmal communication). What can I say, I simply don't think my life is ruined because a Saturday train ride takes 5 minutes longer than it used to.

you can't see it is more crowded than in previous years? are you kidding me?

Posted on: 2015/3/9 13:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users
Are you insane? Just because other forms of mass transit are bad doesn't make PATH nirvana.

I have riden PATH now for 12 years and it continually gets worse. In all this time PATH has NEVER increased service. Never. Every time a new schedule comes out, service is being reduced. The JSQ to 33 via HOB on the weekends was only temporary while the 9/11 memorial was being built. Well, it's been done for a couple of years and PATH will never go back. They are the worst!!!

Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Yesterday, I was in Hoboken and waited 40 minutes for the 87 Bus (I would have walked, but was under-dressed for the cold). I'll say it again - if you mostly or exclusively take PATH count your blessings! It is the model of convenience, reliability, and comfort compared to NJ Transit bus service in this area.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday, I was in Hoboken and waited 40 minutes for the 87 Bus (I would have walked, but was under-dressed for the cold). I'll say it again - if you mostly or exclusively take PATH count your blessings! It is the model of convenience, reliability, and comfort compared to NJ Transit bus service in this area.

Posted on: 2015/3/8 15:19

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017