Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne doesn't want more parking decks. She just wants to maintain free parking on the street for herself. She wants something for nothing. Her reasoning? She's a long-term resident so her experience of JC should remain exactly the same!

It's ironic because she rails against corporations that lobby for tax abatements. Parking is real estate. If you want it, you should pay for it (just like anything else).

Posted on: 2015/3/10 14:43

Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
And just a question for you economics-savvy readers: If the existing parking decks are 1/2 full, why hasn't the cost of parking gone down?

Because it isn't hard enough to park on the street to make walking to a deck and paying worthwhile. The decks aren't underused because they are too expensive, they are underused because there isn't really enough demand at any price.

The people who park there live in the buildings (or maybe commute to JC via car). Everyone else can actually generally find parking just fine.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The traffic that comes through downtown are the "shortcuts" from the turnpike. Travelers to the Holland Tunnel do not wait to exit as they should they drive through the downtown streets. This has been happening for years. Many newer residents confuse that traffic with long term residents. The long term resident either parked on the street with no problem or parked on a lot that has become a building. New buildings will bring in more residents with one third the parking for those residents. They are competing with downtown residents who park on the streets. The city is making the problem worse. It is the reason I said we need lots or garages.

People leave neighborhoods or don't move to neighborhoods because of many reasons, among them: poor schools, high crime, costs, noise, inconvenience of owning a car, etc. It would be helpful if this city or even just ward E developed a clear vision of its future - one aspect might include whether we want to accommodate cars or discourage their ownership. There appears to be no shortage of people willing to move here w/o owning a car, or willing to pay to park one off the street. And just a question for you economics-savvy readers: If the existing parking decks are 1/2 full, why hasn't the cost of parking gone down?

Posted on: 2015/3/10 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I just want to point out that it's not even hard to find street parking in JC at night and on weekends. My father has visited me downtown dozens of times and has never had an issue finding free street parking. The only issue here is that we need to stop building these waste of space parking garages.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The traffic that comes through downtown are the "shortcuts" from the turnpike. Travelers to the Holland Tunnel do not wait to exit as they should they drive through the downtown streets. This has been happening for years. Many newer residents confuse that traffic with long term residents. The long term resident either parked on the street with no problem or parked on a lot that has become a building. New buildings will bring in more residents with one third the parking for those residents. They are competing with downtown residents who park on the streets. The city is making the problem worse. It is the reason I said we need lots or garages.

You are just going to continue to ignore the fact that we put of garages with every new large development and those garages are 1/2 empty aren't you?

Posted on: 2015/3/10 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/10 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
Public transportation is expensive, that's why it is an investment. You think the subway, Brooklyn bridge, the cross continental railroad was cheap?! It's these massive projects that change and improve the way we live. The light rail is a good start, the only mistake in my opinion is that it does not cut right through the center of downtown. I would like to see what else we can come up with to encourage to move all over Jersey city without the need of a car.

Discussion of Bus Rapid Transit
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=358042

Posted on: 2015/3/9 15:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Public transportation is expensive, that's why it is an investment. You think the subway, Brooklyn bridge, the cross continental railroad was cheap?! It's these massive projects that change and improve the way we live. The light rail is a good start, the only mistake in my opinion is that it does not cut right through the center of downtown. I would like to see what else we can come up with to encourage to move all over Jersey city without the need of a car.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Since the late 1990s, half the the bus routes have disappeared. Last year, there was an article in the paper that the number 10 bus might disappear.It would take billions to create a mass transit route. Who will pay for this? The lite rail is still half empty.
The city is allowing monster building to go up in areas, ignoring the fact people do use cars for travel. I know people in the Van Vorst area who travel every day to Trenton and Bergen County.

I honestly don't even know what your point is anymore.

1. The 'monster buildings' come with parking. Not a single one of the high rises that has gone up has gone up without a deck and not a single one of the decks is full. They are building more than enough parking for every high rise in the city. This is a simple fact.

2. None of the people in the VVP area really have to worry about the high rises or monster buildings, because those buildings are not in VVP. The closest is Liberty Harbor, but those buildings come with parking.

3. You must not actually use the light rail because it is packed at certain times of the day, just like the PATH is packed at certain times of the day. Is it 1/2 empty? Sometimes. It is also very full other times.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Since the late 1990s, half the the bus routes have disappeared. Last year, there was an article in the paper that the number 10 bus might disappear.It would take billions to create a mass transit route. Who will pay for this? The lite rail is still half empty.
The city is allowing monster building to go up in areas, ignoring the fact people do use cars for travel. I know people in the Van Vorst area who travel every day to Trenton and Bergen County.

Every "monster building" that goes up downtown has parking decks that sit half empty. Did you notice the building going up in the pep boys site has a monster parking deck too? This is despite there being existing parking garages within a couple of blocks of it.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/9 14:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It does not take a genius to see the areas with the most improvement are where the best public transportation lies. So instead of arguing about parking we should be asking why Jersey City does not having any big public transportation ideas in the works. We need to invest in some real long term solutions for a growing city that is going to develop into a car free, congestion free, green , pedestrian friendly place to live.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People do have cars, if you want to remove some of the traffic, then create parking lots or garages. People are circling blocks looking for parking spaces, that is part of the problem. The problem exists because the city refused to do traffic studies in the 1990s when development started. The city created redevelopment zones which eliminate the need for traffic studies. We have two problems: gigantic building places in spaces which cannot support cars plus local residents who been there forever and have cars. They have seen their parking lots turned into buildings. Eliminating parking spots does not eliminate the cars that residents own, especially residents who live in buildings without parking spots.

Some truth to all of that, but at 8 or 8:30 a.m., the terrible traffic congestion isn't people circling for parking, it's people trying to get to work and school.

This city and every other one is growing and will continue to grow. Our national population is growing, and the historical aberration of building more and more inefficient, remote, car-dependent suburbs to house them is ending.

Every year we will have more people in JC, without new places for them to drive. Building more parking for cars they can barely drive makes no sense, will end up being wasteful at best, and is likely to encourage more people to bring, buy or keep cars here.

Even apart from mass transit, cycling, walking, and other non-car transportation, purely from a driver's perspective we should be focusing on more ways to substitute car share, car rental, Uber-type services, taxis, and other alternatives to car ownership. Those alternatives help meet the needs of people who genuinely need to use cars, while freeing up existing parking spaces.

Posted on: 2015/3/7 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
People do have cars, if you want to remove some of the traffic, then create parking lots or garages. People are circling blocks looking for parking spaces, that is part of the problem. The problem exists because the city refused to do traffic studies in the 1990s when development started. The city created redevelopment zones which eliminate the need for traffic studies. We have two problems: gigantic building places in spaces which cannot support cars plus local residents who been there forever and have cars. They have seen their parking lots turned into buildings. Eliminating parking spots does not eliminate the cars that residents own, especially residents who live in buildings without parking spots.

Posted on: 2015/3/7 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
One of these days urban car owners are going to realize that they face not one shortage, but two, and fixing one makes the other one worse.

They struggle to find parking space, and they struggle to find DRIVING space.

We can help with the first one. We could spend lots of money and add more parking lots and decks, or make developers build more. Current residents will have more places to park. And as new people move in, they'll have a place to park. (And they'll be more likely to bring their cars with them when they move here.)

But when they pull out of those shiny new garages, they'll be pulling out in front of YOU, in the streets, clogging them up even more, and negating any time you saved looking for parking.

And we can't add streets; we're a mature, built-out grid at ground level. Unless you're planning a Haussmann-style boulevard-building project that demolishes wide swaths of every neighborhood, the asphalt we have is all we're going to get.

So we might make it a little easier to find parking, for a while. But you'll immediately make it harder to drive than it already is.

Building more parking in a crowded is like building a bigger locker room for a tiny swimming pool that can't be expanded. Changing into your swim suit will get easier, and more people might want to join the pool -- even though it will probably get more expensive, to pay for that fancy new locker room.

But actually swimming gets much, much harder. And wasn't that the whole point of joining the pool?

Posted on: 2015/3/7 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
While it may not be wise to resuscitate this thread, I'm sad to see a conversation about an issue important to the future of JC - namely, planning a transportation infrastructure for the 21st Century - devolve into personal fights. Going back to Yvonne's original quote from the Mayor of Bayonne, part of the "need" for parking was to support a burgeoning dining/market area.

Keep in mind, JC is twice the area of Bayonne, but has 4 times the population. DTJC, where most of the bar/restaurant/shopping action is seems densely populated enough for businesses to thrive on local residents; and the nascent artisinal restaurant and food businesses could draw from comparable demographic areas (NYC, Hoboken) with better mass transit. Is there a need to cater to customers with cars, when the entire surrounding area is laid out for people who drive?

Capitalizing on JC's density, nascent businesses, and demographic shifts should be our Mayor's vision, yet I don't see a lot of evidence for that beyond DTJC. Rather than lament JC is not following Bayonne's lead (which may work just fine for it's needs) it seems we should be agitating our Mayor to do more to advance JC's future.

Posted on: 2015/3/6 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
"I am laughing my ass off at this point." I hope you will receive medical treatment for this condition Jaded JC, if you have a car there is parking at the Medical Center and perhaps they can put that part of your body back together.

Why the hell would I do that? My ass isn't so big that I can't put it in a tote bag and schlep it by train to a quality, first-rate medical establishment in NYC. Not only would I avoid the billing BS that JCMC would inflict on me for being an out-of-network patient, but I would get far more competent medical care by a doctor who actually attended medical school in the U.S. rather than a second-rate Caribbean one.

While you are having your rear end fixed, perhaps the doctors can give you a new spine so you can drop your phony name.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's the best you can come up with after people here have debunked all your arguments? You've officially run out of lame arguments. Remember, you wanted to return to the subject of parking, I merely pointed out that parking is the least of my - or most people's - concerns when picking a hospital. Now you're throwing a hissy fit over my avatar.

Posted on: 2015/3/6 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
"I am laughing my ass off at this point." I hope you will receive medical treatment for this condition Jaded JC, if you have a car there is parking at the Medical Center and perhaps they can put that part of your body back together.

Why the hell would I do that? My ass isn't so big that I can't put it in a tote bag and schlep it by train to a quality, first-rate medical establishment in NYC. Not only would I avoid the billing BS that JCMC would inflict on me for being an out-of-network patient, but I would get far more competent medical care by a doctor who actually attended medical school in the U.S. rather than a second-rate Caribbean one.

While you are having your rear end fixed, perhaps the doctors can give you a new spine so you can drop your phony name.

Posted on: 2015/3/6 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/5 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

And once again ladies & gentlemen since we are not seeing things the way we should be the subject is being changed. What has JCMC's parking got to do with the lack of public parking that was being discussed.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/5 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Let us return to the subject of parking. The classic turn around for business is the Medical Center downtown. When the hospital was on Montgomery St, it had limited parking. Its new location has a tremendous parking lot even though it is across the street from the lite rail. The Medical Center is competing for customers across Hudson, Bergen, and Essex Counties. It could not survive without its parking lot. If this was a Aesop fairy tale, the moral of the story is, provide parking for your customers or they will go elsewhere.

I am laughing my ass off at this point. I don't know anyone who chooses a hospital based on parking. If it's a life-threatening emergency, the ambulance takes you to the nearest one. If not, you pick one based on your insurance network and where your doctors have privileges. I live two blocks from JCMC, and I wouldn't consider going there again after one visit, not even for an ailment or injury that required urgent medical care. I'd rather go to City MD urgent care - there are two that are steps from the 23rd and 14th Street PATH stations. Not only am I seen promptly by a physician (usually within 10 minutes of arrival), but they also take my insurance. I had to have elective surgery a few years ago, and I chose NYU Langone. Inconvenient as hell and no parking whatsoever, but I still went there because the doctors and the facility are top notch, and there were no billing shenanigans because everything, from the surgeon to the anesthesiologist was in-network. When I was discharged, they arranged for a car service to take me home - and to my great surprise, insurance even covered most of that.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Let us return to the subject of parking. The classic turn around for business is the Medical Center downtown. When the hospital was on Montgomery St, it had limited parking. Its new location has a tremendous parking lot even though it is across the street from the lite rail. The Medical Center is competing for customers across Hudson, Bergen, and Essex Counties. It could not survive without its parking lot. If this was a Aesop fairy tale, the moral of the story is, provide parking for your customers or they will go elsewhere.

Certain businesses, with a particular demographic - hospitals being a good example - may indeed have parking needs other establishments don't. And while DTJC is very conducive to a day-to-day lifestyle based on walking, using a bicycle, and mass transit, JC overall is not. Try getting from the Heights to one of the happening restaurants or bars in DTJC - it's easier to get into Manhattan (and I don't want to hear about UBER - if I has the money to take cabs all the time I wouldn't be living in the Heights in the first place LOL).

Let's not get the narratives mixed up here, though. Accommodating a particular industry with a legitimate need for added parking is one thing, and the city should certainly try to do that. The idea of the municipal parking garage which started off this post is something different, and IMO a mistake to accommodate businesses who have an outdated model, e.g. the customer base that can't or won't take mass transit into the city (there are plenty of malls and big box stores). JC needs to be actively building up it's mass transit infrastructure, to accommodate new ways of doing things, modern lifestyle choices (the aforementioned retirees strolling around DTJC, enjoying their lattes and the streetlife), and more diverse local businesses.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

You allege parking on Central Ave. but at any given time there is 25 to 30 empty stores & those that are there are junk stores. Where are the Thorne's, Marilynn's, Rosen's, Eagel Beef's, etc that catered to a clientele? Parking certainly didn't destroy Central Ave, no vision did. Maybe, just maybe, changing demographics had something to do with it, not the lack of parking. And as for your yearning for the 70's, we yearn for a lot of things but then reality comes up to bite us in the booty. That was then, this is now & we can only move forward & leave our dreams of a past in our dreams.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Yes, let's take the case of one business as the holy grail and ignore the entirety of the rest of DT, rising rents, and the influx of new businesses. Someone forgot to tell all those new businesses they are doomed. Someone alert the owner of Park and Sixth that he can't make it work in JC before he opens up a 4th place.

While you're telling him, I'll tell tell the new arts space not to expand into HP.

Someone else tell the childhood learning center to close and Key Foods to shut down, they should never have renovated.

I'll alert Talde, and make sure the Madam Claude shuts down the wine shop and Satis doesn't go through with expanding into a new restaurant.

Obviously the one hospital is what we should look at because hospitals are very representative of all other businesses and their turnaround couldn't have anything to do with vastly improved medical facilities, because that's certainly not what people care about over parking.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/5 17:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like something my Dad would say!
70 is the new 35 with money!

Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
+1 for Seniors in the city! My parents, in their 70s, moved here from the burbs and got rid of their car. They love walking! And it keeps them healthy and out of the house. No yard work, no snow shoveling, no car worries. In the summer when Newark is closed they enjoy strolling and frequenting local shops. City life is really ideal for older folk, as they have everything they need nearby or deliverable.

I ran into one of these transplants from the 'burbs recently in the garage of my building (maybe they were your parents!). The guy was down there to run the engine of his car for several minutes because they hadn't driven it for a few weeks. He said living here as seniors was working out far better than he and his wife expected. They pretty much walk or use mass transit to go everywhere, and they were enjoying all sorts of cultural outings in the city by taking full advantage of senior discounts. They have driven so infrequently that "the price of gas can go to $10 a gallon for all I care!" he said. They're actually thinking of getting rid of the car and renting out the parking spot. The income from that plus savings from not having to pay for car maintenance and insurance will more than pay for the times they need to use Uber or a taxi.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If a business can make money, he/she will stay. One particular business had a store that served "Catholic customers" of Communion dresses and suits. The 1960s and 1970s were booming times. But he closed shop when Hudson Catholic School appeared. His customers went elsewhere.

And it had nothing to do with the fact that the catholics themselves left town or stopped attending church, as evidenced by the closings of large numbers of churches and schools in the last 30 years? Or was that because of no parking too?

Posted on: 2015/3/5 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

As a retired Catholic teacher I support Catholic education but the elimination the parking lot caused the decay that we see today. Many established businesses left and 'junk stores' took their place.

Yvonne, the elimination of a parking lot had absolutely nothing to do with the decay of that area.

What caused the decay of that area, and many urban areas between 1950 and 1980, was the popularity of the suburbs. People who had a means to move to the suburbs did so, leaving a poorer class to remain in cities which led to the thriving businesses of McGinley Square, which had serviced a middle class/working class, to turn into "junk stores".

I knew the business owners of some stores in McGinley Square, I remember one telling me his business was dead because he customers shopped elsewhere when the parking went. If a business can make money, he/she will stay. One particular business had a store that served "Catholic customers" of Communion dresses and suits. The 1960s and 1970s were booming times. But he closed shop when Hudson Catholic School appeared. His customers went elsewhere.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

As a retired Catholic teacher I support Catholic education but the elimination the parking lot caused the decay that we see today. Many established businesses left and 'junk stores' took their place.

Yvonne, the elimination of a parking lot had absolutely nothing to do with the decay of that area.

What caused the decay of that area, and many urban areas between 1950 and 1980, was the popularity of the suburbs. People who had a means to move to the suburbs did so, leaving a poorer class to remain in cities which led to the thriving businesses of McGinley Square, which had serviced a middle class/working class, to turn into "junk stores".

Posted on: 2015/3/5 16:00

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017