Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Developers reveal plans for 35-story tower at Jersey City Pep Boys site
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

$40M state grant moves high-rise project forward New Newport development will include 20 percent affordable housing

HUDSON REPORTER by           Al Sullivan Reporter staff writer                 
Jun 21, 2015 

A handful of Jersey City kids were posed in front of the old Pep Boys store just north of the Power House building on this weekday in June at the start of the summer school recess. The building had ceased functioning several years ago, and now was a platform for local graffiti artists and the back drop for selfies.

The site was part of a slowly deteriorating shopping mall at Marin Boulevard and 6th Street that includes a ShopRite, BJ’s Wholesale Club and Bed, and Bath & Beyond, on an 18-acre site that city officials hope will soon blossom into a large scale new community.

The first of as many as 16 towers is expected to break ground on the Pep Boy site by the end of the summer, the first phase in a much larger project called Hudson Exchange West.

The first of a multi-phase project, the 35-story tower will be 336 market-rate units, 85 affordable units, 10,000 square feet of retail space, and an accessory parking garage. New street improvements surrounding the block, as well as a public plaza that includes more than 10,000 square feet of new open space, are also part of the plan.

Mayor Steven M. Fulop said last week that this would be the first waterfront development in nearly three decades that provides 80 percent market rate and 20 percent affordable units. The hi-rise can now move forward with help from the New Jersey Economic Development Agency (NJ EDA).

The NJ EDA earlier this month granted $40 million in Economic Redevelopment Grant tax credits, which made the project viable. One of the conditions of the grant is that 20 percent of the units be listed as affordable. Residents making 80 percent of the median salary for the area would be eligible.

Read more:  Hudson Reporter - 40M state grant moves high rise project forward br font size 2 i New Newport development will include 20 percent affordable housing font i br

Posted on: 2015/6/21 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
There is a similar car shop next to Pathmark on Grand street.

Robin.

Advance Auto Parts I think.

There's a great selection of local auto shops downtown. For example I order tires from tirerack and have them delivered and fitted at Ralphs on Erie. Oil changes and maintenance I get done at A M Auto on 6th at a fraction of the cost of Pep Boys or anywhere else. Amazon is a better shop for general parts/accessories.

There's a Sears Auto at Newport Mall or a Pep Boys at Hudson mall if you want to be charged a lot for sub-standard parts and service.

Posted on: 2015/3/30 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is a similar car shop next to Pathmark on Grand street.

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/3/29 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
Too much parking. Last thing we need in downtown are more vacant parking garages.

Where's Yvonne going to park her car fleet?

Posted on: 2015/3/29 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I walked by yesterday and noticed that the Pep Boys is officially closed. Windows covered in brown paper and everything. Is it slated to be demolished already? I thought it was a few years away.

Wait, pep boys is closed? Shit, where should I tell people to go to get car stuff now?

Grove St Bicycles.

(You seriously didn't ever send people to Pep Boys?)

Posted on: 2015/3/29 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
didn't I read somewhere no one down there has a car... oops.

Posted on: 2015/3/29 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I walked by yesterday and noticed that the Pep Boys is officially closed. Windows covered in brown paper and everything. Is it slated to be demolished already? I thought it was a few years away.

Wait, pep boys is closed? Shit, where should I tell people to go to get car stuff now?

There is a sign on the door telling people to go to one of the other Pep Boys locations, one on 440 and the other on Kennedy Blvd somewhere.

Posted on: 2015/3/29 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/29 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I actually did get a response, the side facing the light rail has no retail, it will be loading decks/garage entry. One other side will connect to an adjacent building (the Southern side) and the other 2 will have retail. The phase 2 adjacent building will have retail on the Southern side.

So 3 sides of retail. I still hate to have a dead side of the building, but 3 sides are OK. Hopefully several of the buildings will share the parking, that would help.

Posted on: 2015/3/29 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/29 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Too much parking. Last thing we need in downtown are more vacant parking garages.

Posted on: 2015/3/6 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

How the hell does saying that rent control is a piss poor solution to the housing problem equal eugenics? If "society" want affordable housing "society" should pay for it. Rent control in much of Manhattan allows middle class people who won that lottery to transfer wealth from their landlord to themselves and allow them to buy weekend homes and private schools they would not be otherwise able to afford. Forcing landlords to solve the affordable housing problem makes as much as sense as the longtime hospital policy of forcing the solvent patients to subsidize the insolvent sick, rather than society at large footing the bill.

And zoning limits restrict the supply of new housing, thus generating more wealth for property owners. You got part of your statement right: Rent control in Manhattan allows for middle class people. End of sentence. Rent regulations are the only thing that are keeping middle-class people in New York City.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
It says 10k ft of retail. That's not a lot. on a Manhattan Avenue that would be four 25' storefronts. But Manhattan commercial spaces tend to be much deeper than in JC. As I understand it one of the problems for restaurants in the historic areas is the small spaces make i hard to fit in a decent kitchen and enough seating to do well. Hence Skinners and several others being multifloor.

It's 'over 12k' (not that 2k makes a difference). If the stores are fronting a parking deck, they're going to be small.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It says 10k ft of retail. That's not a lot. on a Manhattan Avenue that would be four 25' storefronts. But Manhattan commercial spaces tend to be much deeper than in JC. As I understand it one of the problems for restaurants in the historic areas is the small spaces make i hard to fit in a decent kitchen and enough seating to do well. Hence Skinners and several others being multifloor.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
New condo towers in Manhattan also have parking -- but it would be nice to have some commercial on the first floors!

I'f I'm not mistaken there is commercial on the first floor. Kind of like what is on Grove St with the subway/GNC tucked into the parking deck.

Check out Pic #5 on the link to the NJ.com article. Adjacent to the light rail tracks, that looks like a massive parking structure with no outward facing retail. Am I looking at it wrong?

Well it depends... They don't have to wrap the retail around all sides of the building (I wish they would though). Still, there are at least 4 openings on that side that could easily be store windows. They could also easily be garage openings, it's hard to tell, though I don't know why they would have 4 + of them.

I actually have the developer's email address. I'll see if he'll answer the question.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
New condo towers in Manhattan also have parking -- but it would be nice to have some commercial on the first floors!

I'f I'm not mistaken there is commercial on the first floor. Kind of like what is on Grove St with the subway/GNC tucked into the parking deck.

Check out Pic #5 on the link to the NJ.com article. Adjacent to the light rail tracks, that looks like a massive parking structure with no outward facing retail. Am I looking at it wrong?

Posted on: 2015/3/5 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

So the people who claim the sky is falling when new buildings include parking are full of it?

Posted on: 2015/3/5 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/5 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Looks OK other than the hideous parking structure that completely disengages the streetscape. Will developers ever learn?

Its so depressing seeing another tower with an obnoxiously oversized parking monstrosity at its base. I can understand the city accepting any and all architecture in the 80s when there was little demand for new buildings, but when there is obviously a boom, there should be someone in the "urban planning" dept of the city if there is one, who can suggest something to prevent destroying the streetscape for the walking public.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I wonder how many JClisters would vote YES, if there was a referendum to cull, liquidate, 'social cleanse', euthanize our poor, working poor, aged, disabled and on welfare?

How the hell does saying that rent control is a piss poor solution to the housing problem equal eugenics? If "society" want affordable housing "society" should pay for it. Rent control in much of Manhattan allows middle class people who won that lottery to transfer wealth from their landlord to themselves and allow them to buy weekend homes and private schools they would not be otherwise able to afford. Forcing landlords to solve the affordable housing problem makes as much as sense as the longtime hospital policy of forcing the solvent patients to subsidize the insolvent sick, rather than society at large footing the bill.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Looks OK other than the hideous parking structure that completely disengages the streetscape. Will developers ever learn?

Its so depressing seeing another tower with an obnoxiously oversized parking monstrosity at its base. I can understand the city accepting any and all architecture in the 80s when there was little demand for new buildings, but when there is obviously a boom, there should be someone in the "urban planning" dept of the city if there is one, who can suggest something to prevent destroying the streetscape for the walking public.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder how many JClisters would vote YES, if there was a referendum to cull, liquidate, 'social cleanse', euthanize our poor, working poor, aged, disabled and on welfare?

Posted on: 2015/3/4 22:36
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

richieveal wrote:
No one lives there. It's just a terrible layout of land that can be better used for retail and residences. I can't wait for it to be completed.

It will become a playground for people with money and another forces those working on the poverty line (which is no-one on JClist from what I gather) to be painted into a corner.

Instead of luxury apartments, why not 'rent control' apartments for the majority of struggling families and individuals ... this would include those that have retired, on welfare or disability pensions !

Rent control is against basic economic logic. It just encourages system-gaming, disinvestment and wealth transfer from later arrivals to early arrivals. The solution to demand is not restricted supply, it's more supply.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

richieveal wrote:
No one lives there. It's just a terrible layout of land that can be better used for retail and residences. I can't wait for it to be completed.

It will become a playground for people with money and another forces those working on the poverty line (which is no-one on JClist from what I gather) to be painted into a corner.

Instead of luxury apartments, why not 'rent control' apartments for the majority of struggling families and individuals ... this would include those that have retired, on welfare or disability pensions !

Posted on: 2015/3/4 21:17
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/4 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
When we define livability as luxury, or point to a millionaire?s playground as a worthwhile model, then our conversations of how to improve our communities will always come at the expense of the poor. If livability means transforming the places where people already live into places where more wealthy people want to, then I hope it?s not what Paradise Jersey City strives for.

Brittany Bronson is an English instructor at the University of Nevada

Posted on: 2015/3/4 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/4 5:05

Developers reveal plans for 35-story tower at Jersey City Pep Boys site
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Developers reveal plans for 35-story tower at Jersey City Pep Boys site

By  Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
March 03, 2015 at  5:44 PM

JERSEY CITY -- New renderings show developers' plans for a 35-story residential tower on the site of the Downtown Pep Boys, part of a large-scale development called Hudson Exchange West proposed for that area.

If approved by city planning officials, the tower would house 421 units and include over 12,000 square feet of retail space on a four-acre site just north of the Harsimus Cove light rail station.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... t&utm_medium=facebook

Metro Plaza

Posted on: 2015/3/4 4:49

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact