Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Smoke Damage to Rental Apartment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
My friend is a fire fighter. He has a friend that owns a company that does restoration. So I will meet tomorrow morning before the buildings insurance adjuster arrives.

Just a wild guess, but if your friend deals with Lance Harvey from ServPro - he's a great guy and will help walk you through everything. Make sure you speak directly to Lance.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 3:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/14 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe you should talk to the people who live over Abbeys.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
The buildings insurance will only clean the walls and floors, not your personal belongings. The building has lined up a restoration company. The restoration company offered to clean my personal belongings. My insurance company assigned Master Services to assess the smoke damage and clean my personal belongings. I called Master Services. The said someone will call me. They have not. My friend is a fire fighter. He has a friend that owns a company that does restoration. So I will meet tomorrow morning before the buildings insurance adjuster arrives.

Anyone with experience with this?

Posted on: 2015/3/3 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Before you put a claim into your own insurance company you might want to file a claim through the building owner's insurance company first.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 1:25
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The building is owned by an individual in Queens who set up an LLC and hired a property management company to run all 8 of the apartments.

Keep the advise coming, thanks Scrappe for the post.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 2:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/9 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
If you are halfway comfortable processing a claim avoid this adjusters. They just want s cut of your claim. Call your insurance company tomorrow morning and find out their process. Sound like you did the right things by taking pics and alerting them. I'd avoid hiring anyone at this point, just easier to run it through your insurance. Obviously notify the owners of the unit, because your insurance probably only covers your personal items. The owner's insurance may be able to cover your own items, avoiding a deductible, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Smoke damage sucks though, good luck.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 1:51

Smoke Damage to Rental Apartment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have renters insurance. There was a fire in the apartment below me on Saturday late morning. The smoke got into my apartment and caused smoke damage. Took photos of everything, including the apartment below.

I called my renters insurance company immediately after the fire and they gave me a claim number and an agent's phone number. I called the agent Saturday and Sunday leaving a voice message.

Anyone been through this. There were adjusters lining up handing out business cards?..A restoration company who put in air scrubbing machines did a sales pitch to me today saying they'll clean everything in my apartment and then bill the insurance company?

Please advise !! Thanks everyone.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 1:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017