Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 13 »

Re: Downtown Jersey City businesses take on local farmers market
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:

Just as I said earlier today; there are NO winners here as it stands now.

Coming home to a pedestrian plaza instead of a food court is much nicer as far as I?m concerned. See?people really do win!

Posted on: 2015/2/25 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
2 - Legislation doesn't solve the problem of where food trucks CAN park in a way that at all helps the entreprenuers who start them. Food truck operators feel like they never know when/where they will get a ticket and they have to move the food truck every 2 hours.

3 - Legislation doesn't solve the problem of the fact that the food truck operators are getting a free ride by way of using city land (parking space) for commercial purpose without paying the equivalent of a rent for that space. Brick and mortar feel like they are operating on an un-level playing field as they have to pay rents which roll up to include both land use as well as property tax and the food truck operators do not.

There's already a model in place for parking on Columbus - why not just extend that to food trucks - have them pay $200/month or so for parking. In fact Columbus just south of Marin hits most of the criteria and it's a short move from Grove plaza.

Pretty much in alignment with my thoughts. Not sure it should be purchased monthly versus daily or block of hours and some other operational things like that, but in terms of high level approach I agree.

This appears to be a matter that many of your constituents take to heart. I believe if you solidified the rules there are more then enough mouths for all of these restaurants/trucks to feed.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
[quote]
JCMan8 wrote:
Candice,

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. There is a point which I don't think you addressed and further clarification would be helpful.

I have heard that the food trucks' banning from the Grove Street Plaza extends beyond the SID and Farmers Market and is enforced by the City. Specifically, at least one food truck owner was either issued a $2,000 ticket or threatened with one for setting up shop in the Grove St Plaza during a random weekday evening.

Since I haven't seen any trucks there during the past several months this unfortunate news made sense. I figured the City's action was directly linked with the lobbying efforts of Two Boots and the like.

My interest is clear: I like the choices and prices the food trucks provide. Further, these truck owners are nice people who work hard. If there is a good reason for the City to ban them from the Plaza such as food safety concerns or if they are actually putting local restaurants out of business, that makes this news more palatable.

But that doesn't seem to be the case. The DTJC restaurant scene is exploding.

So without a good reason for the banning, the status quo seems to me to be crony capitalism, where a handful of local restaurants, a special interest, successfully employed the Government to stifle competition, enrich their personal profits, and take away choices from the consumer. Not exactly an uncommon occurrence in this country. That probably contributes to why so many people are upset.

Like you say, I'm sure the food trucks would want to pay a tax in the form of parking so they can set up shop at the Plaza instead of being issued (or threatened with) $2,000 tickets. But their banning is a recent occurrence. Shouldn't they be allowed to continue what they were doing until the City can come up with an acceptable arrangement? The recent change has the listed restaurant owners' fingerprints all over it, and the whole situation is very unfortunate.

So you nailed why it is important for us to clean up the food truck regulation. Markets can have food trucks, farmers markets can have food trucks (though less due to the limit on prepared foods.) It is really the day to day regulation that is a mess. Reasons why current legislation is a mess:

1 - Language in current legislation is unclear. Food trucks must be x feet away from nearest brick and mortar restaurant (I think 300.) Is that radius or walking distance? Police don't feel like there is a clear answer there.

2 - Legislation doesn't solve the problem of where food trucks CAN park in a way that at all helps the entreprenuers who start them. Food truck operators feel like they never know when/where they will get a ticket and they have to move the food truck every 2 hours.

3 - Legislation doesn't solve the problem of the fact that the food truck operators are getting a free ride by way of using city land (parking space) for commercial purpose without paying the equivalent of a rent for that space. Brick and mortar feel like they are operating on an un-level playing field as they have to pay rents which roll up to include both land use as well as property tax and the food truck operators do not.

So, the current legislation works for basically ZERO of the stakeholders and that's why things like this happen. We need to as a city determine: where exactly we want to allow food trucks and come up with a way to charge for the commercial use of public space. This shouldn't be hard, we just need to do it.[/quote]

Just as I said earlier today; there are NO winners here as it stands now. So how do we get it done Candice? Is it City Government or SID that writes the rules? Or is it a little of both? Would be nice to hear from an SID representative-

Posted on: 2015/2/25 19:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

There's already a model in place for parking on Columbus - why not just extend that to food trucks - have them pay $200/month or so for parking. In fact Columbus just south of Marin hits most of the criteria and it's a short move from Grove plaza.

Pretty much in alignment with my thoughts. Not sure it should be purchased monthly versus daily or block of hours and some other operational things like that, but in terms of high level approach I agree.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/25 18:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Candice,

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. There is a point which I don't think you addressed and further clarification would be helpful.

I have heard that the food trucks' banning from the Grove Street Plaza extends beyond the SID and Farmers Market and is enforced by the City. Specifically, at least one food truck owner was either issued a $2,000 ticket or threatened with one for setting up shop in the Grove St Plaza during a random weekday evening.

Since I haven't seen any trucks there during the past several months this unfortunate news made sense. I figured the City's action was directly linked with the lobbying efforts of Two Boots and the like.

My interest is clear: I like the choices and prices the food trucks provide. Further, these truck owners are nice people who work hard. If there is a good reason for the City to ban them from the Plaza such as food safety concerns or if they are actually putting local restaurants out of business, that makes this news more palatable.

So without a good reason for the banning, the status quo seems to me to be crony capitalism, where a handful of local restaurants, a special interest, successfully employed the Government to stifle competition, enrich their personal profits, and take away choices from the consumer. Not exactly an uncommon occurrence in this country. That probably contributes to why so many people are upset.

Like you say, I'm sure the food trucks would want to pay a tax in the form of parking so they can set up shop at the Plaza instead of being issued (or threatened with) $2,000 tickets. But their banning is a recent occurrence. Shouldn't they be allowed to continue what they were doing until the City can come up with an acceptable arrangement? The recent change has the listed restaurant owners' fingerprints all over it, and the whole situation is very unfortunate.

So you nailed why it is important for us to clean up the food truck regulation. Markets can have food trucks, farmers markets can have food trucks (though less due to the limit on prepared foods.) It is really the day to day regulation that is a mess. Reasons why current legislation is a mess:

1 - Language in current legislation is unclear. Food trucks must be x feet away from nearest brick and mortar restaurant (I think 300.) Is that radius or walking distance? Police don't feel like there is a clear answer there.

So, the current legislation works for basically ZERO of the stakeholders and that's why things like this happen. We need to as a city determine: where exactly we want to allow food trucks and come up with a way to charge for the commercial use of public space. This shouldn't be hard, we just need to do it.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
For me, Two Boots has simply been an occasional midnight-on-a-Thursday option, long after the farmer's market has packed it in.

Ditto Ibby's.

When the other restaurants in the area are open, I don't give these guys a second thought.

The absence of food trucks is not going to instill in me a sudden craving for overpriced pizza or rude falafel at dinnertime.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I for one am happy to hear that there will be some regulation on what is allowed in a "farmer's" market. I am not anti-food truck but what the sell generally isn't in the "spirit" of a farmer's market either and I don't think that any reasonable person can suggest that it is. It is my opinion that the purpose of the farmer's market was to make fresh, healthy, locally grown produce more readily available to city folks.

I do wonder about things like fresh mozz and baked goods? will those be lumped into prepared food?

I do think that what some of the B&M stores have to say is legit... why should food trucks get primo spot on city land for free? sounds like a parking permit "tax" would be most fair and perhaps it could be used to help improve the market for all (free/low cost stalls for local artisan foods etc) I don't think that food trucks specifically hurt B&M business though because as mentioned if I want to sit down and eat something with friends having a taco truck a block away isn't going to change that plan.

Can food truck still (legally) park on the street (assuming they can find spots) per the old regulations (like moving ever 2 hrs or something like that)? It isn't clear if they are actually banned from all the streets in the grove st path area or just the plaza itself?

Posted on: 2015/2/25 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Had not thought of that. No food ruck = no OG taco cart = no Taqueria DT. Not a world I would like to live in.

Interested to see what becomes of the market, and the business' that did this. There are about to be a lot of new food/bev options in this area, which I would imagine are a more real threat to this list than 2 nights a week of market.

I will say, while I am def pro-food truck/stall, I do admit the market could have curated better. Maybe if the prepared food and been more restricted and there were fewer trucks this would not have happened. There were definitely some strange stalls in there by the end 2014.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Candice,

Posted on: 2015/2/25 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
In other words, this was never really a "Farmers Market" it was a sham.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 16:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Hi all -

I've seen some things in this thread that are not accurate, so thought I would help clear them up.

1) the city gets grant funds that can go towards farmers markets. These funds have restrictions that are related to how the ordinance was developed, particularly in terms of local and non-prepared requirements.

2) based on feedback the city added language requiring that farmers markets within a special improvement district be managed by that special improvement district (which they as a SID could then of course outsource to someone else)

3) the ordinance does not prohibit food trucks and it also doesn't require that markets operate as a farmers market. There are plenty of markets that are not farmers markets (think of all the summer festivals and the sixth borough market). This ordinance only says "if you want certain subsidies and to call yourself a legal farmers market, here are the standards you need to follow." Today the downtown market at Grove Street is managed by the SID. It is their decision (as they are a legal entity with an elected board) whether they want to switch to a farmers market (and get those benefits) or continue as a market that cannot be declared a legal farmers market.

Hope that clears things up.
Candice

Candice,

Thank you for your response here, I appreciate it and I'm sure others do too. Question about point #3. Are you saying that the SID, in order to receive city subsidies, made this decision on their own, and the letter from the various restaurants had no effect on their decision?

I am not sure...I know that I had complaints from both sides of the fence and my point to them was as follows:

1 - The city should support creation of good legislation that reflects what we believe a true farmers market should be city wide, versus supporting the one off issues that exist within one particular market.

2 - That if the SID (or any other market) didn't like what the city believed to be good legislation, they could continue to operate just as they are today, but without the benefits of being designated a farmers market.

3 - That if the SID chose to operate as they did today, and certain members of the SID didn't like that, they should run at the next SID election and change it. The SID is a legal entity with an elected board who governs how the markets are run within the SID.

Whether or not those parties successfully persuaded the SID one way or the other, I will let the SID speak to that (I don't know.) I am saying that there is a legal structure that will allow for either approach.

We do also need to deal with Food Trucks in some way. The current legislation surrounding them is poor. I think that brick and mortar restaurants have a completely legitimate point in that the trucks essentially have free use of a city asset (streets) whereas brick and mortar pay rent (which is used to: profit to property owner, pay down of any property owner mortgage debt, pay yearly property taxes AND pay yearly SID taxes.) Most food truck owners want us to resolve this legislation and I believe are more than willing to pay a tax (maybe in the form of commercial parking) in order to have more clear laws about where they can park/not park, etc.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
I look at it this way.

Some businesses have taken it upon themselves to decrease the quality of life I have in my neighborhood. Their reasons for doing so are fallacious and quite frankly, bullshit. I see no reason to support them in the slightest, and encourage those I know to not do the same.

Should they fail and close, I will not mourn their passing, and hope that whoever takes their place has a more reasoned approach to how businesses can coexist and improve an area.

For example the countless other eateries in the area that did not sign this petition. They make perfectly tasty food and serve a decent beer/drink. The places that don't negatively affect me can have the dollars.

Oh +1 on this.

Candice, Thanks for your input, as always. I'm also curious if you can answer that question posed by caj11 in post 227?

The sad part about this is that there are no winners. The food trucks lose a business opportunity (and perhaps a major financial investment), the local residents lose the OPTION of eating at a food truck and the Restaurants who actually believed that food trucks were cutting into their business and agreed to sign on to this attack now have hundreds of people who will boycott them and tell their friends. This thread has been viewed over 15,000 times, so that tells you something...

Posted on: 2015/2/25 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I will personally go and patronize 2 Boots after reading the rants from the likes of most of the assholes on this thread.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 14:27
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Hi all -

I've seen some things in this thread that are not accurate, so thought I would help clear them up.

1) the city gets grant funds that can go towards farmers markets. These funds have restrictions that are related to how the ordinance was developed, particularly in terms of local and non-prepared requirements.

2) based on feedback the city added language requiring that farmers markets within a special improvement district be managed by that special improvement district (which they as a SID could then of course outsource to someone else)

3) the ordinance does not prohibit food trucks and it also doesn't require that markets operate as a farmers market. There are plenty of markets that are not farmers markets (think of all the summer festivals and the sixth borough market). This ordinance only says "if you want certain subsidies and to call yourself a legal farmers market, here are the standards you need to follow." Today the downtown market at Grove Street is managed by the SID. It is their decision (as they are a legal entity with an elected board) whether they want to switch to a farmers market (and get those benefits) or continue as a market that cannot be declared a legal farmers market.

Candice

Candice,

Thank you for your response here, I appreciate it and I'm sure others do too. Question about point #3. Are you saying that the SID, in order to receive city subsidies, made this decision on their own, and the letter from the various restaurants had no effect on their decision?

Posted on: 2015/2/25 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i can see mcdonald's having a beef about trucks, but not the others. it is unfortunate that these restauranteurs feel this way since they are alienating actual and potential customers.

i am happy i saw the list of restaurants so that i know which ones to avoid.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 12:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all -

Candice

Posted on: 2015/2/25 12:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I look at it this way.

Some businesses have taken it upon themselves to decrease the quality of life I have in my neighborhood. Their reasons for doing so are fallacious and quite frankly, bullshit. I see no reason to support them in the slightest, and encourage those I know to not do the same.

Should they fail and close, I will not mourn their passing, and hope that whoever takes their place has a more reasoned approach to how businesses can coexist and improve an area.

For example the countless other eateries in the area that did not sign this petition. They make perfectly tasty food and serve a decent beer/drink. The places that don't negatively affect me can have the dollars.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Both sides have a point, even if the points are ultimately self-serving. The real answer is that we need to ensure that vendors are properly paying for the privilege of selling. Parking a food truck takes up space and the permit fees should be reasonable and compensate the city. Similarly, vendors at the farmer's market should not be subsidized by the very businesses they're competing against. Personally, I suggest that we allow both food vendors and legit farmers as the farmers markets, but the permit fees should be different. This should ensure a proper mix of sellers as well.

Anyway, the solution here shouldn't be to drive anyone out of business, but to make sure that everyone has a fair environment in which to operate in. If that means that the slice of pizza at the farmer's market is 50 cents more expensive then so be it. If after that Two Boots and others are STILL complaining then we can happily ignore them.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 22:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/18 21:14
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

I think most reasonable people completely understand where Two Boots and other downtown businesses are coming from

I don't when it comes to this man from Two Boots. The conversation has simply been too manipulative for me.

Quote:
you are literally throwing a temper tantrum over empanadas. Get a grip!

And Two Boots brought that tempertantrum to the government of Jersey City. LOL!

Anyways, I expect nothing one way or the other of this. Morrill would probably do better to work on making his pizzas have a taste that matches the price. Despite how much his gourmet pizzas may actually cost to make, they simply just don't taste as good as Porta or Razza if you want a "gourmet" slice. And if you're looking for standard NY pies, there's too many other places that qualify as "next door," are cheaper, have been around longer and aren't claiming they've lost hundreds of thousands of dollars to an empanada stand. ;) The only thing that would ever change my attitude about Two Boots is if the pizza got better. I don't see that happening. Not when once a week food carts become the scapegoat, despite some fairly blistering Yelp reviews.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
[quote]

2: Two Boots guy, I kind of agree with you, but you should have learned by now that you should NEVER get into arguments with people on JCList especially when it comes to defending your business, because no matter how well put your argument is, it's always going to fan the flames (check the Taqueria thread for entertainment). Just stay away from JCList and never come back, it's not worth the trouble.

Yep! +1

+100.
Next thing you know, Two Boots Guy, you'll be blamed for parking problems in JC. And the crappy post office. Just go about your business.

I think most reasonable people completely understand where Two Boots and other downtown businesses are coming from but the only people posting are those that can't get over how "unfair" it is to them as a consumer. I frequented the food trucks as well but I would much rather support the brick and mortar stores who took the risk and actually opened a business downtown. This whole notion of boycotting every business downtown over food trucks just sounds so bratty and ridiculous- you are literally throwing a temper tantrum over empanadas. Get a grip!

Posted on: 2015/2/24 21:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The better solution would be to allow the food trucks (and other prepared food vendors) in a different area, managed in a different way.

Perhaps the Port Authority should let them set up shop at Journal Sq.

I'd love that, but they'd run the risk of damaging a local business like 7-Eleven.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 20:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
Another aspect that I don't think was mentioned yet: what about people who do not have a great dining out budget but might enjoy picking up empanadas or other prepared foods at the Farmers Market? I.e. they are not prospective Two Boots et al customers (and maybe their kids are tired of slices of pizza and would rather try something novel but within a pizza slice budget) but people of modest means who might enjoy sitting at the plaza and share a food truck meal. Seems really stupid to cut these people out of prepared foods options at the Farmers Market, food trucks etc.

Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Our household spends about 300 a week on dining and take-out. That includes Komegashi, Grand Sichuan, VB3, Kraverie, Sawadee, Left Bank, Thanh Hoai, to name a few I can remember.

If I want Food Truck food, I'll get it and it's not like I'm taking anything away from anyone.

The Two Boots owner argument does not apply to me, and frankly sounds like BS

Posted on: 2015/2/24 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
[quote]

2: Two Boots guy, I kind of agree with you, but you should have learned by now that you should NEVER get into arguments with people on JCList especially when it comes to defending your business, because no matter how well put your argument is, it's always going to fan the flames (check the Taqueria thread for entertainment). Just stay away from JCList and never come back, it's not worth the trouble.

Yep! +1

+100.
Next thing you know, Two Boots Guy, you'll be blamed for parking problems in JC. And the crappy post office. Just go about your business.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The better solution would be to allow the food trucks (and other prepared food vendors) in a different area, managed in a different way.

Perhaps the Port Authority should let them set up shop at Journal Sq.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
[b]The only "Jersey City taxes" are property taxes, and you aren't paying those if you lease the space, your landlord is, and your landlord would pay those taxes regardless.
A lot of commercial leases do require that the commercial tenant pay their portion of the property taxes, just fyi.

My two takeaways from this whole kerfuffle:
1: It is pretty interesting that the HDSID is playing both sides here and mucking the whole thing up.

My sentiments exactly. I think Aaron from Two Boots provided a very level headed explanation. I support the food trucks, and I think they provide a good alternative for some people, but I agree with the position and action of the restaurants spoused by Two Boots. The Grove St Plaza farmers market is barely a farmers market, dominated mostly by prepared food vendors, some of which I do support and patronize (the empanadas are delicious, the Italian frozen meals were good, the salami guys were hilarious and sell excellent stuff, and the dessert/sweets woman from Teaneck sold some incredible stuff) but I can see the conflict as described. The better solution would be to allow the food trucks (and other prepared food vendors) in a different area, managed in a different way.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know who runs the VVP market on Saturdays? Or the little market by the Korean War memorial in Paulus Hook (also on Saturdays)? I'm hoping that these markets will step up and perhaps invite some of these vendors that have been pushed out of the Grove Street market, especially the one in VVP. I didn't go to the VVP market that often because the produce offerings were underwhelming, but I'd definitely go every week if some of the Grove Street vendors went there.

Stella's Empanada's used to sell at the Saturday VVP market, but stopped last year. I'm hoping they'll return this spring. I love their empanadas. I would buy a half dozen and toss them in the fridge. I'd have one for a snack or take a couple to work for lunch (the only restaurants my empanada consumption was hurting were those overpriced and unremarkable Midtown sandwich chains, like Pret a Manger).

Posted on: 2015/2/24 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
[quote]

Yep! +1

Posted on: 2015/2/24 7:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
[b]The only "Jersey City taxes" are property taxes, and you aren't paying those if you lease the space, your landlord is, and your landlord would pay those taxes regardless.
A lot of commercial leases do require that the commercial tenant pay their portion of the property taxes, just fyi.

My two takeaways from this whole kerfuffle:
1: It is pretty interesting that the HDSID is playing both sides here and mucking the whole thing up.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 6:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/18 21:14
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I know that a handful of you will stop patronizing Two Boots as a result of my outspoken position on this issue.

Allow me to clear up some of your confusion. Yes, a lot of us will not be patronizing Two Boots. But, it has nothing to do with your "outspoken position." Rather, you are a chain pizza operation that came late to the game in downtown JC. In fact, your presence marked the first of the "really? another pizza joint in downtown jc?" discussions. Now, if you offered an exceptional pizza, perhaps this wouldn't be an issue. I and others I know tried your establishment. But, in the end, we found it way too expensive for what you offered, particularly given what already existed in the area.

So, you've decided food trucks once a week are your problem? Or the SID which exists by law to bring commerce into a section of town? They aren't. Your lackluster and overpriced pizza is your problem, which is simply something that isn't at all unique in your location. The food trucks did offer something unique, which is why I'd certainly patronize them if I was in the area before your establishment. But, with them potentially gone, don't expect a positive change. It may bother you but, frankly, it would be no loss to the area if your chain spot folded. Good luck with your war against consumer choice.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 3:28

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017